Huckabee Praises Mormon Conservatives

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.
Mike Griffith
captain of 100

Huckabee Praises Mormon Conservatives

Post by Mike Griffith »

By the way, did anyone notice a couple weeks ago when Mike Huckabee praised Mormon conservatives on Rush Limbaugh's radio program? Huckabee said he had great respect for Mormon conservatives like Orrin Hatch, Mike Leavitt, Jon Huntsman. He said,

"You know, one of the things that I've been very adamant about is that I don't think his [Mitt Romney's] religion has one thing to do with whether people should support him. Some of my favorite public servants in America happen to be the same religion he is, the Morman religion. That would be people like Mike Leavitt, Orrin Hatch, Jon Huntsman, the current governor of Utah. Great people." (http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/ ... guest.html)

On Fox News a day or two later, Huckabee said he would have no problem supporting Mormon conservatives like Hatch, Leavitt, and Huntsman, and that he felt they were good people. He also said he could support Romney as the VP pick.

If Huckabee runs again, I hope more Latter-day Saints will give him a fair hearing. Here's an article I wrote about him a couple months ago, after I did some research into his record as governor of Arkansas:

The Facts About Mike Huckabee: Setting the Record Straight About a Principled Conservative
http://ourworld.cs.com/mikegriffith1/huckabeefacts.htm

truthseeds
captain of 100

Re: Huckabee Praises Mormon Conservatives

Post by truthseeds »

Mike Griffith wrote:On Fox News a day or two later, Huckabee said he would have no problem supporting Mormon conservatives like Hatch, Leavitt, and Huntsman, and that he felt they were good people. He also said he could support Romney as the VP pick.
If Huckabee runs again, I hope more Latter-day Saints will give him a fair hearing. Here's an article I wrote about him a couple months ago, after I did some research into his record as governor of Arkansas:
Regarding the Huckster, I, for one, would not 'give him a fair hearing'. And I say the same for Hatch, Leavitt, Huntsman and Romney.
St Luke 6
43 For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
44 For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns, men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.
45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Don't only listen to what these chums say on Fox News, read of what they do, how they vote, and with whom they collude with. Romney, Huckabee, even Huntsman are proud members of the CFR (read globalist shills in a nation-state-is-dead think tank). Leavitt is part of the cabal developing our precious vaccines against H5N1 for BushII.
I'm tired of trying to awaken people to our awful situation. But, I gather that you believe I should just make like Lehi and pack up and head into the wilderness to await the second coming.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Proud 2b Peculiar »

I feel sick!

'Conservatives'?

*Vomit*

Mike Griffith
captain of 100

Post by Mike Griffith »

Here are some facts about Huckabee's record as governor--he:

* Cut the state capital gains tax rate by 25%.
* Abolished capital gains taxes on home sales.
* Abolished the state marriage penalty tax.
* Pushed through the first broad-based tax cuts in decades, saving taxpayers nearly $400 million.
* Indexed income tax brackets to inflation, thus protecting taxpayers from being pushed into higher tax brackets by inflation.
* Doubled the child-care tax credit.
* Increased the tax deduction for single individuals to $2,000.
* Increased the tax deduction for married couples to $4,000.
* Banned illegal aliens from getting drivers licenses.
* Helped pass an unborn child amendment to the state constitution.
* Helped pass a traditional marriage amendment to the state constitution.
* Pushed through a property owners’ bill of rights that limited property tax hikes and protected homeowners from unfair tax assessments.
* Pushed through homeschooling-friendly legislation.
* Limited the increase in the overall rate of state spending to 4.9% (AFI)--not bad, considering that he was dealing with a Democratic legislature.
* Protected gun manufacturers from frivolous lawsuits.
* Removed restrictions on concealed handgun permit holders.
* Pushed through legislation that allowed the state to fire school boards and school superintendents in school districts that were chronically performing badly.
* When faced with a $227 million deficit for fiscal year 2002, refused to call for a tax increase and instead called for a massive cut in state spending.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

His bike must be different than my son's little bike. My son's pedals don't go backwards.

*actually my son's pedals don't go at all since some schmuck stole his bike a couple months ago.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Proud 2b Peculiar »

Largely on the strength of that tax cut, the Cato Institute awarded Huckabee a B rating in 1998, listing him as one of the country's "top ten tax cutters." But it was largely downhill from there. He was awarded a C in 2000 and 2002, a D in 2004, and an F in 2006. "Mike Huckabee of Arkansas went from being one of the best governors in America to one of the worst," the Institute declared. "The main reason for the drop was his insistence on raising taxes at almost every turn throughout his final term."
According to the Tax Foundation, the state and local tax burden on the average Arkansan increased from 10.1 per cent to 11.3 per cent under Huckabee. When he came into office in 1996, Arkansas ranked 30th in the nation as the state with the highest taxes. When he left at the beginning of this year, it had risen to 13th.
The Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration has confirmed that there were 90 tax cuts in the period 1995 to 2005, reducing revenues by $378 million. But many of these tax cuts were very narrowly tailored. A list assembled by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette included the following:
# Exempting Arkansas Symphony Orchestra from sales tax. Total revenues foregone: $20,000
# An income tax deduction for organ donation: $76,000
# Exempting county fairs from special events tax: $15,000.

Offsetting these tax cuts were at least 21 tax increases, including repeated tax hikes on tobacco, alcohol, increases in the sales tax, and a 3 per cent "income tax surcharge." The tax hikes brought in a total of $883 million between 1995 and 2003.
Huckabee often talks about the "nearly 100 tax cuts" that he helped to implement in Arkansas, however trivial. He conveniently forgets about the tax hikes, or uses euphemisms to disguise them. Asked about a tax on nursing home beds by Chris Wallace of Fox News, he said it was not a tax. It was a "quality assurance fee."
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-che ... taxes.html
"Governor Huckabee says he is a fiscal conservative," Club for Growth President Pat Toomey said, "but his ten-year economic-policy record as the governor of Arkansas is mixed, at best. His history includes numerous tax hikes, ballooning government spending, and increased regulation. To be sure, Governor Huckabee's record displays an occasional deference to a pro-growth philosophy, but that is only a small slice of a much bigger picture. The Club for Growth feels citizens deserve a full picture of where Governor Huckabee stands on the critical economic issues of the day."
* Immediately upon taking office, Governor Huckabee signed a sales tax hike in 1996 to fund the Games and Fishing Commission and the Department of Parks and Tourism (Cato Policy Analysis No. 315, 09/03/98).
* He supported an internet sales tax in 2001 (Americans for Tax Reform 01/07/07).
* He publicly opposed the repeal of a sales tax on groceries and medicine in 2002 (Arkansas News Bureau 08/30/02).
* He signed bills raising taxes on gasoline (1999), cigarettes (2003) (Americans for Tax Reform 01/07/07), and a $5.25 per day bed-tax on private nursing home patients in 2001 (Arkansas New Bureau 03/01/01).
* He proposed another sales take hike in 2002 to fund education improvements (Arkansas News Bureau 12/05/02).
* He opposed a congressional measure to ban internet taxes in 2003 (Arkansas News Bureau 11/21/03).
* In 2004, he allowed a 17% sales tax increase to become law (The Gurdon Times 03/02/04).
By the end of his ten-year tenure, Governor Huckabee was responsible for a 37% higher sales tax in Arkansas, 16% higher motor fuel taxes, and 103% higher cigarette taxes according to Americans for Tax Reform (01/07/07), garnering a lifetime grade of D from the free-market Cato Institute. While he is on record supporting making the Bush tax cuts permanent, he joined Democrats in criticizing the Republican Party for tilting its tax policies "toward the people at the top end of the economic scale" (Washington Examiner 09/13/06), even though objective evidence demonstrates that the Bush tax cuts have actually shifted the tax burden to higher income taxpayers.

Finally, Governor Huckabee opposed further tax cuts at a 2005 gathering of Iowa conservatives (AP 09/17/05). On January 28, 2007, Governor Huckabee refused to pledge not to raise taxes if elected President, first on Meet the Press and then at the National Review Conservative Summit. The evidence suggests that his commitment to protecting taxpayers evidenced in his early gubernatorial years may be a thing of the past.

http://www.clubforgrowth.org/2007/01/a_ ... es_fis.php

truthseeds
captain of 100

Post by truthseeds »

Mike Griffith wrote:Here are some facts about Huckabee's record as governor--he:
...According to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, the average Arkansas tax burden increased 47% over Huckabee’s tenure. Huckabee supported (in chronological order) a sales tax hike; gas and diesel fuel tax hikes; another sales tax hike; a cigarette tax hike; a nursing home bed tax; another sales tax hike; an income surcharge tax; a tobacco tax hike; taxes on Internet access; and higher beer taxes. Huckabee also oversaw a 50-percent increase in spending; happily signed a minimum wage increase and encouraged national Republicans to do the same; favors a national smoking ban, farm subsidies, and a federally mandated arts and music curriculum; opposes private school choice; and employs class-warfare and protectionist language. Huckabee calls himself an economic conservative in the mold of Ronald Reagan, but the above list doesn’t sound like either.
And not to mention his support of an immoral war!!! So, you don't mind globalism eh Mike? Endless Wars? 1.2 million Iraqi people dead on our watch? Pending wars that both parties support. Get passed the right-left paradigm.
Mr. Huckabee appeared before the globalist-minded Council on Foreign Relations. Check out his speech kissing the butts of the CFR http://www.cfr.org/publication/14335
This is a man who intends to meddle in the affairs of nations around the world. Is this right? I think not! Didn't our founding fathers warn us of entangling alliances: Huckabee would love for our State, Energy, Housing, Education, Justice, Treasury, and Transportation departments to spend untold billions of tax dollars on: schools, medical facilities, roads, sewage treatment, water filtration, electricity, and legal and banking systems in countries all over the globe.

Why am I even arguing with you?

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Mormon conservatives like Orrin Hatch, Mike Leavitt, Jon Huntsman?

After living a year and a half in SLC and paying attention to these people and voting for Scott Bradley for Hatch's seat in the Senate, I'm convinced Leavitt and Huntsman are of about the same ilk.

http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=87 for a rundown on Hatch

ROB GIBBSEN
captain of 100

Post by ROB GIBBSEN »

Christian Conservatives vs. Christian Libertarians

In an address to an Assembly of God Church in Alaska, Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin suggested that church members pray “that our national leaders are sending [soldiers to Iraq] on a task that is from God, that’s what we have to make sure we are praying for, that there is a plan, and that plan is God’s plan.”

It would be interesting to hear Palin explain her understanding of how God’s plans can possibly involve violations of His sacred commandments.

The commandment is simple: That shalt not murder. God did not provide exceptions to that prohibition, not even for agents of the CIA and the U.S. military.

Lest we forget: Neither the Iraqi people nor their government ever attacked the United States or threatened to do so. No matter how many contortions that Dick Cheney and George W. Bush have engaged in (e.g., WMDs, the war on terrorism, 9/11, spreading democracy, UN resolutions, and radical Islam), the simple truth remains: The U.S. government attacked Iraq, not the other way around.

Thus, we should never forget: In the Iraq War, the United States is the aggressor nation and Iraq is the defending nation. That means that no agent of the U.S. government had any moral right to kill even one single Iraqi, much less the million or so that have been killed.

Some people calculate the wrongful Iraqi deaths only in terms of civilian deaths. They have it wrong. Since the U.S. government had no right to invade Iraq, U.S. agents, including those in the CIA and the military, had no moral right to kill any Iraqi, including Iraqis who were defending against the wrongful invasion and occupation of their country.

The standard neo-con religious position is that whatever the U.S. government does overseas against foreigners is right and moral as a matter of law because the government is operating as an agent of God and simply fulfilling His plans.

The hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children killed by the pre-invasion sanctions? A million Iraqis killed in the invasion? Well, you see, those killings can’t be murder because it was the U.S. government that did the sanctioning and invading. It would only be murder if, say, the Russian government committed those acts. Since it’s the U.S. government that killed all those people, it’s all good and moral because it must be all part of God’s plan.

Moreover, keep in mind that in the neo-con mindset the U.S. government and the American people are one and the same. Since everyone knows that the American people are kind, caring, and charitable, that means that everything the U.S. government does, including kidnapping, renditioning, torturing, and sexually abusing people, is all good and moral. It’s all part of God’s plan, you know.

This attitude, of course, is what distinguishes Christian libertarians from Christian neo-cons. Christian libertarians adhere strictly to God’s commandments, refusing to draw an exception for agents of the U.S. government. Unlike them, we hold that murder is murder, even when committed by agents of the U.S. government. Since the U.S. government had no right to invade Iraq, it had no right to kill any Iraqis, much less a million of them. The same principle holds true with respect to the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children killed by the pre-invasion sanctions. The same holds true for the murders, torture, and sex abuse committed by U.S. agents against Iraqis at Abu Ghraib prison.

Christian libertarians, unlike Christian neo-cons, do not conflate the American citizenry with the U.S. government. As such, we are capable of recognizing immorality and wrongdoing committed by the U.S. government and we are unafraid to take a stand against it. Unlike the neo-cons, we don’t try to excuse away evil and immorality by claiming that they must be part of God’s plan.

Indeed, unlike the Christian neo-cons we Christian libertarians don’t view the government as an agent of God but instead as simply a bunch of ordinary people who use government force to satisfy their self-interests, including the ever-growing lust for more power and more money.

http://www.fff.org/blog/jghblog2008-09-08.asp

tick
captain of 100

Post by tick »

Awesome post Rob.

I actually tried to give the huck a little bit of fair consideration during the primaries. What turned me away from him (aside from his policy ideals) was his tactics against Mitt (not that i was a fan anyway). I find it in bad taste to try and slander any person because of their religion, LDS, Muslim, Catholic, Baptist, or otherwise. His willingness to do so showed me exactly what cloth the man was cut from.
Huckabee said he had great respect for Mormon conservatives like Orrin Hatch, Mike Leavitt, Jon Huntsman.
Also, Huckabee having respect for some of the most corrupt members of the LDS faith certainly does nothing for him in my book.

Quiet Cricket
captain of 100

Post by Quiet Cricket »

Mike Griffith wrote:On Fox News a day or two later, Huckabee said he would have no problem supporting Mormon conservatives like Hatch, Leavitt, and Huntsman, and that he felt they were good people. He also said he could support Romney as the VP pick.
He supports those Mormon conservatives until he runs against them in a race, then he will use their religion against them to win. As far as Romney goes, I heard him all over the place campaigning against Mitt for the VP pick. If he did in fact say that he probably changed his story trying to look hip for the Romney supporters, like he does playing bass guitar on his new Sunday show on Fox News. I hope he disappears and the fact that a former candidate started a Late Night style show on Fox makes it look pretty likely.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Huck picked a sorry lot of Mormon politicians to praise.