Dorkmeister arrives

Tell us about yourself...
ready_or_not
Hi, I'm new.

Dorkmeister arrives

Post by ready_or_not »

This is my first post. It's happening because I have to post at least once to get to some forum groups??? I used to call myself the dorkmeister. My brother used to say "I'll talk about anything except politics or religion. I have always said "My favorite topics are politics and religion." My mom said he came out with a frown, and never lost it...I came out with a smile, and never lost it.

I'm a computer geek, but FAR from the MOST knowledgeable. I teach VERY BASIC computer classes at the local Senior Center. I'm familiar with DOS 2.x through Windows10, Apple 9.x through OSx 10.3 (Tiger). I'm currently running PC's with Windows XP (off network), Windows 7, GNU/Linux Mint 13 (Maya, Cinnamon) and GNU/Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. The latter is my main PC and what I am working from right now.

I rarely do anything EASY that can be done HARD. I was sprinkled Catholic at 8 days old, baptized Conservative Baptist at around 10 years old, and joined arguably the most difficult church to belong to, The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints, when I was 23.

My grandfather was WW1 Army, my father was WWII Navy, and choosing to do things the HARD way, I was Vietnam Marine Corps (infantry, of course). Being especially stupid, I reenlisted after 3 years for another 6 years and was trained as an electronics technician. It took me that long to realize that I was repeatedly saying "Sir" to people I normally wouldn't even talk to...so I got out as a Gunnery Sergeant (GySgt, E7).

After a year as an Electronics technician maintaining and repairing automated check processing equipment and data processing systems, I decided to go to college.

Why go get a bachelor's degree, then have to work with a growing family while I attempted a master's degree, then work some more with a bigger growing family while attempting a doctorate degree. [I've always had big dreams, rarely (never?) achieved them.] So I reasoned, so after undergraduate work in Health & Health Education I went straight to Western States Chiropractic College (now University of Western States) in Portland, OR where I was raised.

My timing was bad. I graduated the year the Sunset Review board later determined was the most difficult Board of Chiropractic exams ever in Oregon. It took me three tries to pass. Sheesh. I know you might have doubts about how good I was as I doctor. Doubt away, I'm not touchy about the subject. Then in 1990 Oregon played some political tricks on the Chiropractic profession and I got out of it.

I became a Technical Support Representative for Central Point Software (the old PCTools...not the new one), and later for Symantec Corporation. Then I was hired by a Fortune 100 company as a Network Engineer...but actually was a Senior Systems Administrator as I really had little to do with "routing" which is essential to earn the Engineer title...IMHO. I was also a Telecommunications Manager.

I moved to Utah and worked for a year at a local college computer services department (LAN Coordinator) before going to work for US WEST, later QWEST, later CENTURYLINK for 15 years. I retired from there September 2015...and have NOT looked back. I absolutely LOVE being retired.

Now you know what a dork I am. I actually believe I KNOW something about everything which makes me dangerous in almost everything. The joke is real...my better half of 42 years once bought me a ball cap that said "World's Greatest Expert" on the front. The truth came out when she washed it in the tub and all the writing disappeared. Cheap hat for a feigned expert. Story of my life.

In spite of it all, I like my life. Heavenly Father had a customized plan for me and it has been a great mortal classroom program. I hope there is a lot left for me to learn here (please note I AM NOT ASKING to learn a lot more...just angling to stick around awhile). I have two daughters and three grandchildren and want to see the latter grow up and get sealed in the temple. That would be a satisfactory ending of my work here...however, who knows the big guys plans. Tent City Torture (Refinement)? Time will tell. I have the same userid on AVOW, but just LURK mostly. I'll probably lurk here too. Don't think this long introductory post is typical for me...I'll spare you my ranting (how my wife has stood my rants for so long is one of life's mysteries.)

I'm no good at all remembering names. I like it best when people forget mine too. Forget me. NOW!!!

creator
(of the Forum)

Re: Dorkmeister arrives

Post by creator »

Welcome. Thanks for the introduction.

scottja
captain of 100

Post by scottja »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum from Gilbert AZ - we have a Temple here!
I introduce myself as a "Professional Nerd", Still working Motorola->Freescale->NXP.
I like hands on things, woodworking, metalworking, computer programming, embedded systems, RF power systems, camping...
One grandson.
I'm usually quiet around here, I like to listen in... and avoid the stuff being flung around :)

Lots of good information here, Lots of personalities here.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Welcome. I enjoyed reading your introduction. The part about the fate of the hat was funny. We are in agreement that retirement can be a wonderful time. We actually have several retirees who participate here.