Breaking the Ice

Tell us about yourself...
OneUnlikeTheOthers
captain of 10

Breaking the Ice

Post by OneUnlikeTheOthers »

Hello All,

I am (obviously) new to the Forum and I look forward to getting to know and converse with many (if not all) of you.

A little about me: I am a married, male law student in Connecticut. I am originally from Northern Virginia (DC Metropolitan area). I have never been a member of the LDS faith. My wife grew up in Las Vegas and adopted many of the positive attributes that came with living in close proximity with members of the LDS faith.

Growing up, I was surrounded mostly by different Protestant variations of Christianity but was born to a Catholic family. The culture of the East Coast, especially in the DC Metropolitan area, is incredibly different from that of the culture that has developed from LDS influence.

I didn't even meet a Mormon until I was 16, in Las Vegas. I was warned by the local church that "those people" were members of a cult. Being a hard-headed 16 year old boy, I immediately dismissed the warnings from my religious elders and tried to determine my own opinions about "those (cult) people."

I was shocked after spending even a small amount of time among a portion of the LDS community in Las Vegas. There were no tin-foil hats, poisoned bowls of punch, or ritual human sacrifice. Instead, I found this "cult" was filled with people who could only be characterized as overwhelmingly happy, kind, and generous.

After leaving Vegas and returning to the East Coast, I was fairly sure that I was always going to have a continent separating myself and the otherworldly culture that has developed in the wake of LDS influence in the midwest. However, just recently, my wife and I have decided to move to Idaho. While Idaho is not Utah, it does have a decent-sized (and growing) LDS population.

After years of focusing on my education and the world around me, this move to a very different place has rekindled my interest in all things Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, especially the culture that comes with it. While I did have some level of interaction with the LDS community in Las Vegas, I didn't actually live among them. I never lived next to a Mormon. I never shared a neighborhood with Mormons. I didn't go to elementary or secondary school with Mormons. My exposure was minimal and it was nearly a decade ago, now; I am nervous but excited to learn how to live among members of the LDS faith, and also being prepared to being so enthralled with the LDS faith that I may (possibly; conceivably) convert at some point.

Even though I am not a member of the LDS faith, I welcome any and all interactions/questions/criticism/general advice/etc.

Thanks!

creator
(of the Forum)

Re: Breaking the Ice

Post by creator »

Welcome!

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS
captain of 100

Post by I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS »

OneUnlikeTheOthers wrote:Hello All,

I am (obviously) new to the Forum and I look forward to getting to know and converse with many (if not all) of you.

A little about me: I am a married, male law student in Connecticut. I am originally from Northern Virginia (DC Metropolitan area). I have never been a member of the LDS faith. My wife grew up in Las Vegas and adopted many of the positive attributes that came with living in close proximity with members of the LDS faith.

Growing up, I was surrounded mostly by different Protestant variations of Christianity but was born to a Catholic family. The culture of the East Coast, especially in the DC Metropolitan area, is incredibly different from that of the culture that has developed from LDS influence.

I didn't even meet a Mormon until I was 16, in Las Vegas. I was warned by the local church that "those people" were members of a cult. Being a hard-headed 16 year old boy, I immediately dismissed the warnings from my religious elders and tried to determine my own opinions about "those (cult) people."

I was shocked after spending even a small amount of time among a portion of the LDS community in Las Vegas. There were no tin-foil hats, poisoned bowls of punch, or ritual human sacrifice. Instead, I found this "cult" was filled with people who could only be characterized as overwhelmingly happy, kind, and generous.

After leaving Vegas and returning to the East Coast, I was fairly sure that I was always going to have a continent separating myself and the otherworldly culture that has developed in the wake of LDS influence in the midwest. However, just recently, my wife and I have decided to move to Idaho. While Idaho is not Utah, it does have a decent-sized (and growing) LDS population.

After years of focusing on my education and the world around me, this move to a very different place has rekindled my interest in all things Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, especially the culture that comes with it. While I did have some level of interaction with the LDS community in Las Vegas, I didn't actually live among them. I never lived next to a Mormon. I never shared a neighborhood with Mormons. I didn't go to elementary or secondary school with Mormons. My exposure was minimal and it was nearly a decade ago, now; I am nervous but excited to learn how to live among members of the LDS faith, and also being prepared to being so enthralled with the LDS faith that I may (possibly; conceivably) convert at some point.

Even though I am not a member of the LDS faith, I welcome any and all interactions/questions/criticism/general advice/etc.

Thanks!
Welcome. As with every group, the Church is made up of a huge variety of people. Some will be among the best people you'll ever meet and some will be among the worst.
When you encounter the worst it's always helpful to remember the Gospel is perfect and the people aren't.
Regards,

OneUnlikeTheOthers
captain of 10

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote:
Welcome. As with every group, the Church is made up of a huge variety of people. Some will be among the best people you'll ever meet and some will be among the worst.

When you encounter the worst it's always helpful to remember the Gospel is perfect and the people aren't.

Regards,
Thanks for the welcome!

A few bad apples will not ruin my opinion of the bunch. For the moment, my opinion of the LDS faith, culture, and (generally) the people who practice it remains exceedingly positive. :)

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

OneUnlikeTheOthers wrote:I was shocked after spending even a small amount of time among a portion of the LDS community in Las Vegas. There were no tin-foil hats, poisoned bowls of punch, or ritual human sacrifice. Instead, I found this "cult" was filled with people who could only be characterized as overwhelmingly happy, kind, and generous.
I'm from Texas, but have lived here in Vegas for 9 years now (I'm LDS, but not a Vegas native) and I can second your experiences. I've found the people here to be very kind indeed. We have had nothing but warm friends and kindness from not only Latter-day Saints, but people from other faith traditions. Some of our best friends here are Baptists and we've even gone to church with them. We support them in their faith and they support us in ours and have never had an argument about religion, even though we discuss spiritual matters. They even watch our kids when we go to the temple.

I'm glad you had some good experiences and shared them here, that is very kind and says much concerning your good character as a person. I hope you feel welcome here and have the patience to endure some of the contentious debates that arise from time to time. Blessed are the peacemakers indeed. I'm not always online here but have been around since 2008 and still lurk from time to time. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I love discussing LDS or any theology, really.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

This forum is an interesting place - attracts members who like to talk about anything and everything, and a lot of them believe anything and everything, not so main-stream LDS sometimes. My advice for learning about Mormons - check out the Church's website and browse around, and read the Book of Mormon. Talk to the missionaries when you're ready to learn more.
Hope you enjoy your new home in Idaho.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

OneUnlikeTheOthers wrote:Hello All,

Thanks!
. Welcome to Idaho, I have adopted a general philosophy of never have high expectations then I am never disappointed . People are generally good and kind, of course that is only if that is what you are looking for in them. The forum is mixed and not all
Put forth sound doctrine , so expect the unexpected . You will agree with some , others seem to follow different paths. I never lived next to a Catholic, or Protestant , but we all put our pants on one leg at a time. Welcome to the forum.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

OneUnlikeTheOthers wrote:
I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote:

Regards,
Thanks for the welcome!

A few bad apples will not ruin my opinion of the bunch. For the moment, my opinion of the LDS faith, culture, and (generally) the people who practice it remains exceedingly positive. :)
He might have been trying to warn you. This is the place where the tin foil hat Mormons tend to congregate. ;)

Tin foil hats aside, I recommend you read the Book of Mormon, whether or not you intend to convert.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Welcome OneUnlikeTheOthers :) I am a convert and had not even heard of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints nor The Book of Mormon before the LDS Missionary Elders knocked on my door, you are far more prepared. Seek out the Missionaries, they are waiting for you.
LDS.org is also a good place to start.

OneUnlikeTheOthers
captain of 10

Elizabeth wrote:Welcome OneUnlikeTheOthers :) I am a convert and had not even heard of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints nor The Book of Mormon before the LDS Missionary Elders knocked on my door, you are far more prepared. Seek out the Missionaries, they are waiting for you.
Thank you for the kind welcome! :)

I intend to seek out the Missionaries at some point once we have settled in. They may track us down before that. I was speaking to a friend of mine who recently moved and he said they were at his door on moving day. He still wonders how they found out that quick! :)

My wife has been to an LDS service (she isn't and wasn't LDS) before and wants to attend one. I am open to that if it's possible. I remember that non-members aren't allowed inside of the Temple but I don't know about the more local churches or seminaries or whatever word people prefer.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

It's nice to meet you. Welcome and the best of luck to you and yours!

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Having a law background, you are prepared to read The Book of Mormon. Just read it with an open mind. You will have a spiritual experience.

Enjoy!

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

You will be welcome at any Chapel :) It is only Temples that require a recommend to enter.
Elizabeth wrote:Welcome OneUnlikeTheOthers :) I am a convert and had not even heard of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints nor The Book of Mormon before the LDS Missionary Elders knocked on my door, you are far more prepared. Seek out the Missionaries, they are waiting for you.
Thank you for the kind welcome! :)

I intend to seek out the Missionaries at some point once we have settled in. They may track us down before that. I was speaking to a friend of mine who recently moved and he said they were at his door on moving day. He still wonders how they found out that quick! :)

My wife has been to an LDS service (she isn't and wasn't LDS) before and wants to attend one. I am open to that if it's possible. I remember that non-members aren't allowed inside of the Temple but I don't know about the more local churches or seminaries or whatever word people prefer.

BTH&T
captain of 100

Post by BTH&T »

Welcome,
Great attitude! I've been a "member" all my life and was converted through personal experiences, study, and prayer in my late teens.
I've had the opportunity to live in many places and am very grateful for the blessings the Gospel of Jesus Christ brings.
I hope for the best in your search for knowledge and truth! Enjoy

OneUnlikeTheOthers
captain of 10

BTH&T wrote:Welcome,
Great attitude! I've been a "member" all my life and was converted through personal experiences, study, and prayer in my late teens.
I've had the opportunity to live in many places and am very grateful for the blessings the Gospel of Jesus Christ brings.
Thanks for the welcome!

It sounds like Gospel really spoke to you at an interesting age. Where I grew up, most individuals (myself included) in their late teens are self-proclaimed militant atheists.

Just as a small inquiry: what term do you think best fits when describing a "member" of LDS Church? I generally use the term "subscriber", "member", and "congregant" interchangeably but perhaps there is something that fits better or "members" prefer.

BTH&T
captain of 100

Post by BTH&T »

BTH&T wrote:Welcome,
Thanks for the welcome!

It sounds like Gospel really spoke to you at an interesting age. Where I grew up, most individuals (myself included) in their late teens are self-proclaimed militant atheists.

Just as a small inquiry: what term do you think best fits when describing a "member" of LDS Church? I generally use the term "subscriber", "member", and "congregant" interchangeably but perhaps there is something that fits better or "members" prefer.
I was headed in the wrong direction fast.
I had a very unique spiritual experience that led to my conversion.
I am very grateful that the Lord did not give up on me!
To your question; "member" would be the most commonly used. It doesn't really matter though,none should offend.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

Welcome! So glad to have you. :) you forsure will find a mixed bag of folk on this forum. Sarah's advice was sound. People's differing oppinions and convictions aside, the most important thing for you and yours is your journey to Christ. The positive impresions of mind and heart you have sensed and felt to this point are the healing confirming wittnesses of the light of Christ. A bad tree can't give good fruit and vice versa. As you study and pray and strive to follow in the footsteps of Christ you will eventually be given an irrefutable independant wittness of the truths of Christ through the power and sacred wittness of the Holy Ghost. You will find the missionaries casuel, fun, sincere, and accommodating to your wishes / not pushy. There is nothing up their sleeves. They encourage you to let heaven confirm and validate the message. Please always feel free to rely on those of us who have welcomed you to help and assist in any way. Your brother in Christ, Jared

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vDGe923z1M8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0iLVH52Kcto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=75D5UEPwP-Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will find these youtubes instructive / illuminating...

Enjoy :)

Ps the truths contained in the restored church will simply ad to truths that reside with in you already, Or as one of our former leaders stated "bring all the good that you have and come for the restored gospel makes bad men good and good men better.