This is an interesting forum.

Tell us about yourself...
Jamescm
captain of 100

This is an interesting forum.

Post by Jamescm »

Hello! I've grown up in the Church, and it has been a tremendous blessing for me to be able to see and live on the side of the fence that my peers have always hated and ridiculed. When I was younger, I was always influenced significantly by peer pressure and a desire to "go with the flow". As I got older, I realized that sometimes loving others meant trying to help them understand when they're wrong about important issues, even if it's uncomfortable or anxious for myself.

A changing point in my understanding of my country (The United States), the constitution, and how freedom in general intersects the plan of salvation and our agency occurred when I read Skousen's "The Naked Communist". Already a fan of his speculative early-history books, it was a powerful influence and stirred me to search and learn more. I eventually came to latterdayconservative, then I began lurking on this board.

I have a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith's calling as a prophet, the Church today, and the general authorities. When I was young, I dismissed them as old stale out-of-touch anti-sexual white men and whatever else some are wont. Watching the lifestyles of people in and out of the Church, I've learned that they're the only ones who are in touch.

creator
(of the Forum)

Re: This is an interesting forum.

Post by creator »

Welcome :ymhug:

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Re: This is an interesting forum.

Post by Army Of Truth »

Great to have you on here and welcome Jamescm! :D :ymhug:

I too have learned that people in/out of the church are very imperfect and have many flaws (me included :p ). And just because someone is a Bishop, Stake President, General Authority, etc. doesn't mean that every thought they have, every word they say is 100% straight from the Lord. I've learned this by sad experience. In fact, more often than not, people in authority, whether unknowingly or on purpose, will begin to exercise unrighteous dominion because of the position that they're in. And if we blindly follow a certain authority without praying to the Lord about it and getting confirmation from the Holy Ghost, we can be led astray.

This scripture in D&C 121:39 is even more true today than when it was written. Pride is alive and well not only in our world but also in our church among members!
We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.