I don't think I've actually introduced myself, so here it goes...

Tell us about yourself...
Magus
captain of 100

I don't think I've actually introduced myself, so here it goes...

Post by Magus »

Hi everybody. I'm Magus. I'm 32, male, married, got one little boy and another on the way. I don't want to say where I'm from exactly, but suffice it to say, I live in the Southern United States, (the Heart of Dixie, you might say) where I was raised, but not born. I was born in a large city of the Pacific Northwest. My recent ancestors come from Idaho and Washington on my mother's side, and Kansas/Colorado on my dad's. I got LDS ancestry back to the days of Joseph Smith on my mom's side, and my dad's a convert.

I served a mission in Russia and married a Russian sister missionary I served with. I've been back to Russia three times with her since we were married in 2009, it's really nice to be able to keep a connection to the country and also to be part of a Russian extended family now.

I work as an emergency dispatcher on the night shift. Been doing it or about 8 years. I just recently graduated from a state university, with a double major in business management and human resources, and a minor in criminal justice - but my real passions are reading, writing and theater. My dream is to some day become a published author that can make enough money to comfortably support my family on that income alone. But I realize that will be an arduous road. As it is, I'm trying to find a job related to my education.

I have great interests in history, literature, philosophy, politics and the supernatural. From an early age, I have exhibited an acute interest in supernatural things. This probably explains why I'm drawn to investigate psychic phenomena as well as esotericism and the occult. You might say I'm somewhat of a Mormon mystic. For example, I'm not entirely sure that the lay priesthood of the Church really knows what they are doing when it comes to maximizing the power of their priesthood, or the power of God through their connection with him as faithful members of the Church. I'm somewhat inclined to think that the priesthood and/or gifts of the Spirit can be used for more things than we are actively told and is commonly considered. I'm also open to considering that certain methods of magic may possibly be legitimate in the eyes of God, but that is an untested theory. I know the scriptures speak against "peeping wizards," "witches", and "sorcerers." However, context is everything, and you have to consider what those practitioners of the occult in those times and now were specifically doing, who or what they were trying to get in contact with, the methodology of it, as well as the motivations. You have to also consider the possibility that Joseph Smith and other early founders of the Church were quite possibly acquainted with such things - and then consider what that would mean. In the end, magic is simply a means to bring down the power of the supernatural in order to execute a particular effect - and God and his universe are certainly full of such powers, many of which are either directly of God Himself or aligned with Him. It seems to me that the Priesthood has a great place in the grand scheme of the Universe, (it being the authority and power of God) and that there are many ways that can be discovered that can enhance and maximize its potential in a creative and righteous way. In studying magic, I have come to understand that much of it is not attempting to utilize some other source outside of God, but actually was attempting to create a pattern of calling down God's power in a creative form. For example, the greater and lesser keys of Solomon (forms of cermonial magic) and the legends surrounding him of being one of the greatest magicians of all time, or other ancient traditions of Moses using certain arcane methods to invoke the power of God.

But none of this is something I'm willing to go out on a limb and test out myself haphazardly. I'm far too cautious for that. The last thing I need is to foolishly open some sort of doorway to let demonic entities into my life. So, this is all stuff that's just interesting to me and really, it'd have to be a matter of prayer and fasting to discover any hidden truth behind it, if there's any at all. I'm just open minded about stuff. But I do feel like studying these things has increased my understanding of all things spiritual in nature. You start seeing common themes, common gestures, common words and methods, and patterns develop, and it gives you insight into the origins of things and what it all might mean.

My avatar is the Nauvoo pentagram. It's the upside down star with a circle around it - commonly associated today as a symbol of Satanism, but as many Mormons know, is actually an ancient symbol related to the ancient temple, and is a symbol of God and Christ. I chose it as my avatar because it just represents how things are not always what they seem and how things that are good are often misunderstood or maligned in some way by people, and so it represents the importance of educating oneself on those things and coming to a deeper understanding.

Btw, I have a strong testimony of the gospel. I know the Book of Mormon is true, the Testimony of the Three Witnesses is absolutely 100% true, they really did see an angel that presented to them the golden plates. I know Jesus Christ is indeed the irrefutable Savior of the world, and that God's love for us is immense beyond our comprehension, and that his mercy is great and his forgiveness is extended to us always, and that it truly has the power to cleanse and make one reborn. I've experienced the joy and peace that comes from Him and know that following His ways is the way to happiness and salvation, and also that exaltation is a real state of being that we can all achieve through Christ.

So there's my quirky introduction and testimony. I know it's off-the-wall. But here I am, don't judge. Nice to meet you all!

Oh, I'm also a huge fan of The Smashing Pumpkins and pretty much all things Billy Corgan. I post on another forum as well, devoted to the band and other off topics. The link is in my signature. Check it out if you're so inclined, or better yet, join the board there too if it interests you.

See you all around.

- Magus
Last edited by Magus on October 27th, 2015, 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Re: I don't think I've actually introduced myself, so here it goes...

Post by Obrien »

Sweet intro post, Magnus. I remember reading Franco's intro a year ago, but he went by Tony then. It was interesting, too, but he became a lot less interesting as time progressed (very dogmatic and judgmental). Hopefully the same fate does not await you.

There are at least a couple other writers / wanna be writers on the forum - it's likely a good place to hone those skills. You might even pick up some gospel teaching along the way. Best of luck to you - don't let the haters get you down. Your talk of magic will probably stir the ire of many of the more traditional lds on this site.

Magus
captain of 100

Post by Magus »

Haha, no doubt. It's all good though. Thanks man, good to meet you.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Ah, you sound like a kindred spirit.
During my years in martial arts I saw the power of Ki/Chi in use. I was nmever terribly gifted with it, but I have been able to accomplish some things. I have seen some amazing things. I spoke to my bishop about it (two bishops actually, both of whom were my bishop at the time I asked) and they both encouraged me to continue in it and said it appeared to be a tool that could be used for good or evil, and as long as I used it for good, they felt it was simply another method for calling for help from the other side of the veil. I had felt somewhat the same, and it was nice to have my feelings confirmed twice. I love meditation. I have some interest in the occult in the literal sense. I have been less cautious than you. I have had some ideas that I have tried to bad effect - not opening any doors, but being rebuked by the spirit which has caused a difficult repentance process. I have gotten the impression that my ideas were not wrong, but the rituals I have attempted should only be used when authorized - and I wasn't. So caution is warranted.

I with you appreciate how symbols are often misunderstood. I have used the non-inverted pentagram as my symbol in other settings, which generally does bring negative out in people because they think you are a Satanist.

Anyway, I don;t know much about Smashing Pumpkins, but other than that seems like we have much in common. Oh yeah, I am 20 years your senior. :)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Welcome, Magus.

I believe the priesthood power is love and that great things can happen of we can channel it efficiently.

Magus
captain of 100

Post by Magus »

Original_Intent wrote:Ah, you sound like a kindred spirit.
During my years in martial arts I saw the power of Ki/Chi in use. I was nmever terribly gifted with it, but I have been able to accomplish some things. I have seen some amazing things. I spoke to my bishop about it (two bishops actually, both of whom were my bishop at the time I asked) and they both encouraged me to continue in it and said it appeared to be a tool that could be used for good or evil, and as long as I used it for good, they felt it was simply another method for calling for help from the other side of the veil. I had felt somewhat the same, and it was nice to have my feelings confirmed twice. I love meditation. I have some interest in the occult in the literal sense. I have been less cautious than you. I have had some ideas that I have tried to bad effect - not opening any doors, but being rebuked by the spirit which has caused a difficult repentance process. I have gotten the impression that my ideas were not wrong, but the rituals I have attempted should only be used when authorized - and I wasn't. So caution is warranted.

I with you appreciate how symbols are often misunderstood. I have used the non-inverted pentagram as my symbol in other settings, which generally does bring negative out in people because they think you are a Satanist.

Anyway, I don;t know much about Smashing Pumpkins, but other than that seems like we have much in common. Oh yeah, I am 20 years your senior. :)
Hey, nice to meet you, Original_Intent!

I'm with you about Ki/Chi. My wife is a massage therapist and is also interested in possibly exploring Reiki, which I understand is supposed to utilize Chi.

If it's too personal of a topic, I understand....but out of curiosity, what rituals did you use? And how do you think you could have been authorized to use them? And by who? God himself or the Church or what? Talking to another Mormon who has interest and experience in this area is of immense interest to me.

I also like the non-inverted pentagram as well. I like it as a symbol, but yeah, it can bring down a lot of negative attention as well.

Magus
captain of 100

Post by Magus »

Jezebel wrote:Welcome, Magus.

I believe the priesthood power is love and that great things can happen of we can channel it efficiently.
Nice to meet you, Mizz Jezebel! I'm certainly open to hearing your views and interpretations, I'm sure you have some wonderful insights.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Magus wrote:

Nice to meet you, Mizz Jezebel! I'm certainly open to hearing your views and interpretations, I'm sure you have some wonderful insights.
Many people think my insights are dangerous. Even my friends. Be warned.

If you live in Utah county and your wife wants affordable Reiki classes, I can refer you to someone.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Magus wrote:

I'm with you about Ki/Chi. My wife is a massage therapist and is also interested in possibly exploring Reiki, which I understand is supposed to utilize Chi.

If it's too personal of a topic, I understand....but out of curiosity, what rituals did you use? And how do you think you could have been authorized to use them? And by who? God himself or the Church or what? Talking to another Mormon who has interest and experience in this area is of immense interest to me.

I also like the non-inverted pentagram as well. I like it as a symbol, but yeah, it can bring down a lot of negative attention as well.
The ritual was my own. It came to my mind and I saw possibilities. I think the only way to be authorized to do it would be by God or a true messenger.

My intentions were good, but it was a case of "fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

With Reiki, I would advise caution. I don't know terribly much about it, but the one person I knew who did practice it became mentally unstable.

Magus
captain of 100

Post by Magus »

Original_Intent wrote:
Magus wrote:

The ritual was my own. It came to my mind and I saw possibilities. I think the only way to be authorized to do it would be by God or a true messenger.

My intentions were good, but it was a case of "fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

With Reiki, I would advise caution. I don't know terribly much about it, but the one person I knew who did practice it became mentally unstable.
Very interesting. Maybe, perhaps, developing something and going to God first to ask if it is right in his eyes first. Just some of my musing thoughts....The thing about ritual is that there's a psychological aspect to much of it that can be designed to bring a certain kind of response, whether it be an emotional one or a trance. I dunno what kind of ritual you devised, but certainly for people trying to commune with God, it's best to be in a sober enough state of mind so that you know that what you are experiencing isn't something you worked yourself up into experiencing, but is genuinely of God. Not saying that's what you were doing - just thinking out loud.

I've read a little about the keys of Solomon, for example, and have watched some videos of people performing the rituals. The way I envisioned myself doing it, if I were to do it, would be basically like reading/saying a prayer and striving to just listen and calm my mind to be in tune with God. But the way I saw it being done in a video showed people chanting parts of it and using a sing-songy sort of voice the way some priests do in the Catholic Church when they are doing their rites. That methods seems to be more aligned with trying to reach a certain mental/hypnotic state - which I'm not entirely knocking or putting down, because I think that has its uses too, but I think it's also important to be in a position where you will know what your source is that's giving you answers.

Of course meditation also has its uses, and I think all prayer is basically a form of meditation if you're doing it right. Some of the chakra meditations I've done, along with music and binaural beats...I know there's an aspect of that which affects the brain waves, but it's supposed to assist in "opening" a chakra, and I think it's okay to invite God into the process for a more beneficial experience, and I feel like that's probably happened with me.

Your caution about Reiki is well-received, I think it's good to be cautious in all things.

Magus
captain of 100

Post by Magus »

Jezebel wrote:
Magus wrote:

Many people think my insights are dangerous. Even my friends. Be warned.

If you live in Utah county and your wife wants affordable Reiki classes, I can refer you to someone.
Warning received.

Thanks for the offer! But unfortunately I live in another part of the country.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Welcome. :) What genre of writing?

Magus
captain of 100

Post by Magus »

Really any. I had aspirations of being a fantasy writer, but fantasy is such a cliched genre, it's terribly difficult to be somewhat original. I've tried. Maybe someday.

Really, I think I'm more into writing realistic fiction, often with a supernatural twist. That's what I'm working on right now actually.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Magus wrote:Really any. I had aspirations of being a fantasy writer, but fantasy is such a cliched genre, it's terribly difficult to be somewhat original. I've tried. Maybe someday.

Really, I think I'm more into writing realistic fiction, often with a supernatural twist. That's what I'm working on right now actually.
Cool. I'm a big fan of fantasy. And there is nothing new under the sun, just the same old stories/ allegories told differently ;)