Drawn to the Religion of My Youth

Tell us about yourself...
NthBrother
captain of 10

Drawn to the Religion of My Youth

Post by NthBrother »

Hello from AZ everyone!

I was born and raised in the LDS Church until the age of 11 (or thereabouts--I'm 36 now), when my parents, both converts of several years prior to my birth, decided to leave the church for reasons I suppose are typical. I'm sure most of you have heard this tune before.

Anyway, long story short--I've had my ups and downs in life since then, but have always felt I was missing out on something much bigger. Over the years, as a result of my own investigation and prayer (as well as the lessons learned through my own life experiences by the grace of the God), I have come to acquire a (still developing) testimony of the truths contained in the Book of Mormon. It is truly like no other religious text I have ever studied; it speaks to me personally each time I pick it up.

Suffice it to say that (I could bore you to tears with my whole personal story... but thankfully not now), after 25 years, I am strongly considering going back to church. I just feel like it may be something I need to do, and wanted to see if I could find some like-minded folk on the interwebs to talk about this stuff with.

:)

-Nth

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Re: Drawn to the Religion of My Youth

Post by cyclOps »

I am new to the forum too, but welcome. I was born into the church and have only had a few short periods of inactivity. Although I am active now, I feel I need to rededicate myself to the Gospel and the fundamentals. I have seen some members in my ward come back to church after long periods of inactivity, and seeing their happiness and joy I would encourage you to do the same.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Welcome, you two! Lots of good folks here with a wide range of opinions and beliefs and backgrounds and experiences. Myself? I love the Book of Mormon and have read it more times now that I care to count. It is true! It contains the fulness of gospel, which if applied now will bring us blessings greater than we now realize.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

I want to welcome you both as well. NthBrother, what are you reading now and what does it mean to you?

I, like Marc, have read it many times, lately, I just study it. I try to read it but the going is so slow, I can't really call it reading any more.
It is an inspired book. With its truths, it carries a message, a message of the restoration and of the fulness of the Gospel in these that later days. It is an exciting time to live, but, having a guide like the Book of Mormon makes it much for fascinating that frightening. Blessings to you.

NthBrother
captain of 10

Post by NthBrother »

LDScop wrote:I am new to the forum too, but welcome.
Likewise! If newbies can welcome anyone, it should be each other. :)
LDScop wrote:I was born into the church and have only had a few short periods of inactivity. Although I am active now, I feel I need to rededicate myself to the Gospel and the fundamentals.
This seems to be a central theme of almost everyone I talk to these days--a yearning for simplicity. Our lives are filled up with complex, yet largely (and somewhat paradoxically) irrelevant... nonsense--distractions that profit our spiritual development nothing. The simple things are the only ones that can bring peace anymore.
LDScop wrote:I have seen some members in my ward come back to church after long periods of inactivity, and seeing their happiness and joy I would encourage you to do the same.
You may not wish that fate to befall the ward I end up visiting (or anyone, for that matter); to have to humor the likes of me.

But I appreciate the vote of confidence.

:-?

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

It must be nice to return to the religion of your childhood.
I was unable to do that.
I was raised as a Catholic by my mother (my father couldn't have cared one way or another).
But I couldn't go back to the Catholic Church for at least 100 reasons.
Just the singing alone in the LDS chapel makes it worth the while. And yet there is so much more.
dc

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

Nth brother, welcome. I will be very interested to see/hear your experiences. I have a son who left the church saying he was atheist, but has recently begun coming back as well. I often wonder how I can support without being pushy or making him feel I'm trying too hard to "help". Thanks for joining the forum!

NthBrother
captain of 10

Post by NthBrother »

Rand wrote:I want to welcome you both as well. NthBrother, what are you reading now and what does it mean to you?
Thanks Rand!

A friend suggested I read Alma 34 for some insight into the Atonement. It's one of those aspects of... well, Christianity in general that I can't seem to totally get my head (or my heart) around. It's definitely... "nuanced". ;)

Any passages/chapters you'd recommend this evening as I ponder?

-Nth

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

NthBrother wrote:
Rand wrote:I want to welcome you both as well. NthBrother, what are you reading now and what does it mean to you?
Thanks Rand!

A friend suggested I read Alma 34 for some insight into the Atonement. It's one of those aspects of... well, Christianity in general that I can't seem to totally get my head (or my heart) around. It's definitely... "nuanced". ;)

Any passages/chapters you'd recommend this evening as I ponder?

-Nth
Welcome, bro. Hope you'll get the answers you're looking for here.

If you stay on the forum long, you'll read many comments about Ether Chapter 8. I am so thankful those words were added to the pile of plates to which Joseph had access at the time of the translation. Can you comprehend how kind the Savior is to warn us in advance via Ether 8?

NthBrother
captain of 10

Post by NthBrother »

marc wrote:Welcome, you two! Lots of good folks here with a wide range of opinions and beliefs and backgrounds and experiences. Myself? I love the Book of Mormon and have read it more times now that I care to count. It is true! It contains the fulness of gospel, which if applied now will bring us blessings greater than we now realize.
Thanks marc!

What I find most interesting about the Book of Mormon is it's expediency, or the ease with which it's principles can be applied to real-life situations and provide immediate feedback. If that makes any sense.

It always seems to be applicable to now, and whatever it is we're dealing with in that now.

-Nth

NthBrother
captain of 10

Post by NthBrother »

David13 wrote:It must be nice to return to the religion of your childhood.
I suppose that depends on how well I'm received. :-\

NthBrother
captain of 10

Post by NthBrother »

Desert Roses wrote:Nth brother, welcome. I will be very interested to see/hear your experiences. I have a son who left the church saying he was atheist, but has recently begun coming back as well. I often wonder how I can support without being pushy or making him feel I'm trying too hard to "help". Thanks for joining the forum!
Hiya DR!

This New Atheism (the Christian-spiting, contemporary statist brand) seems to me to be more of a social activism fad than anything else. A fad that some people take way too seriously, of course.

If he sees through that (which he seems to--if he's considering church, he knows the alternative is empty), he's probably fine. :)

My take, anyway.

-Nth

NthBrother
captain of 10

Post by NthBrother »

Silver wrote: Welcome, bro. Hope you'll get the answers you're looking for here.

If you stay on the forum long, you'll read many comments about Ether Chapter 8. I am so thankful those words were added to the pile of plates to which Joseph had access at the time of the translation. Can you comprehend how kind the Savior is to warn us in advance via Ether 8?
Yes, that's very... kind.

:-o

I've always believed that the Book of Mormon is a reflection of both the past and the future. It is indeed a warning of what will happen (is happening) to a society as the inevitable consequence of its turning away from God. The devil infiltrates.

Fascinating scripture...

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

NthBrother wrote:
David13 wrote:It must be nice to return to the religion of your childhood.
I suppose that depends on how well I'm received. :-\
Nth, can I encourage you to let go of the need to be received at church, and instead go to give, and to actively seek to receive the Spirit that will come to you?
If you want others to help you feel accepted, you are giving them power over your progress. Instead, go to give, share, and give yourself to our Heavenly Father.
Your experience will be better, I promise. And, it is much less stressful! :)

I love Alma chapters 5 and 7. I have just spent the last three weeks studying them. Very sweet and profound.
Last edited by Rand on August 12th, 2015, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

Amazing observation Rand! People are people....and some have tendencies to be unkind. It doesn't matter! Go back to give...sounds like we all need a T-shirt with that on it! There might be those who you are friends with now that will ridicule your decision. That also doesn't matter. Be secure within yourself, knowing that it is the spirit that prompts you....and as the days wane on, no doubt a lot of questions will be answered and you will find much joy and happiness! God bless!

NthBrother
captain of 10

Post by NthBrother »

Rand wrote: Nth, can I encourage you to let go of the need to be received at church, and instead go to give, and to actively seek to receive the Spirit that will come to you?
If you want others to help you feel accepted, you are giving them power over your progress. Instead, go to give, share, and give yourself to our Heavenly Father.

I love Alma chapters 5 and 7. I have just spent the last three weeks studying them. Very sweet and profound.
My comment above was intended as a bad joke more than anything else, however I'd be lying if I said the perceptions of others didn't weigh heavily on my mind.

People get stigmatized in the church (and not just this one, all of them). I spent a quarter-century without giving much more than a second thought to the Word of Wisdom or the New and Everlasting Covenant. I have a feeling this is the kind of thing that bothers more Saints than are willing to admit it. I was just reading on another forum about a member's apprehension toward dating someone who had been inactive in the past (and of course all the comments). It isn't encouraging. If I'm going to be nitpicked and judged for everything I did while I was inactive... I may as well not even show up. Get my drift?

Who wants to marry the apostate's son? Who wants their sacrament blessed by a recovering alcoholic?

I'm not saying it would bother you (or anyone in particular). But it sure does bother the pious. I'm trying not to think about it...

Anything I should look out for in Alma 5 & 7? What were the main themes you took away from your study?

-Nth

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

NthBrother wrote:
Rand wrote: Nth, can I encourage you to let go of the need to be received at church, and instead go to give, and to actively seek to receive the Spirit that will come to you?

My comment above was intended as a bad joke more than anything else, however I'd be lying if I said the perceptions of others didn't weigh heavily on my mind.

People get stigmatized in the church (and not just this one, all of them). I spent a quarter-century without giving much more than a second thought to the Word of Wisdom or the New and Everlasting Covenant. I have a feeling this is the kind of thing that bothers more Saints than are willing to admit it. I was just reading on another forum about a member's apprehension toward dating someone who had been inactive in the past (and of course all the comments). It isn't encouraging. If I'm going to be nitpicked and judged for everything I did while I was inactive... I may as well not even show up. Get my drift?

Who wants to marry the apostate's son? Who wants their sacrament blessed by a recovering alcoholic?

I'm not saying it would bother you (or anyone in particular). But it sure does bother the pious. I'm trying not to think about it...

Anything I should look out for in Alma 5 & 7? What were the main themes you took away from your study?

-Nth
One of the biggest tests of faith that God gives us is enduring his "people" in all of their varieties. Sure, many will bless you, but others will test you. The church is not an oasis, is it a proving ground. If you haven't developed patience, charity or forgiveness, then church is the place to do it.

There is a reason Jesus taught about forgiveness so much, he knew people would need that principle if they attended church.

It was church people that abused Jesus and had him killed. They were out to get him because they refused to endure his presence. Jesus said "forgive them" it's a powerful lesson.

You may feel like the prodigal son, but just focus on the Father's joy to see you return rather than the "brother's" self-righteous attitude and you'll be just fine. Have sympathy for those that judge you, they have such a long way to go and it's going to be very difficult for them to learn what they need to in order to overcome that. They'll need counsel from someone like you one day.

NthBrother
captain of 10

Post by NthBrother »

Five months later, I'm not sure anyone will be reading this, but to those of you who participated in this thread: thank you.

I had disappeared to do some soul searching away from the internet community and all the vicious contention that goes along with it. I had engaged in a similar discussion on another forum that all but wanted to leave me running and screaming from "saintly people".

My participation there, and by association here, came to abrupt end, however short-lived it was to begin with. It by no means destroyed (nor even detracted from a then budding testimony).

The LDS church will never be proven nor disproven as ordained of God. It will never be all things to all people. It will be attacked by every institution on this planet, and it will never be known by anything but direct revelation from the Holy Ghost.

It is the most difficult thing in the world to understand, and yet I plan to meet with the missionaries and local leadership at my local meetinghouse this following Sunday. My testimony is starting to blossom.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

May the Lord be with you :)
NthBrother wrote: It is the most difficult thing in the world to understand, and yet I plan to meet with the missionaries and local leadership at my local meetinghouse this following Sunday. My testimony is starting to blossom.

Catherine
captain of 100

Post by Catherine »

It is the best. It really is. I have had some pretty hefty trials and the gospel has been my saving grace. The people are not perfect, me included, but the Gospel is. It is beautiful and life saving and I am thrilled that you are finding stirrings in your soul to return. You will never regret it. Praying for you.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

May God guide you in your journey.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

NthBrother wrote:
marc wrote:Welcome, you two! Lots of good folks here with a wide range of opinions and beliefs and backgrounds and experiences. Myself? I love the Book of Mormon and have read it more times now that I care to count. It is true! It contains the fulness of gospel, which if applied now will bring us blessings greater than we now realize.
Thanks marc!

What I find most interesting about the Book of Mormon is it's expediency, or the ease with which it's principles can be applied to real-life situations and provide immediate feedback. If that makes any sense.

It always seems to be applicable to now, and whatever it is we're dealing with in that now.

-Nth

The bible tells me what happened in a very terse way without much detail. The Book of Mormon tells me how those same experiences felt for the people experiencing them. This allows me to more fully apply it to my life.

NthBrother
captain of 10

Post by NthBrother »

Thanks for your prayers everyone. I chatted briefly (well, sometimes I felt as though I was rambling--anyway) with what I assume is an on online missionary at mormon.org. He/she said they were going to look up my old membership records to forward them to whoever my local leadership would be now, and contact me at that point (hopefully next Sunday at the latest).

I prayerfully await a response. Feels kinda like a background check, though. Lol. Is that normal?

@Serragon: This has been my experience of the Book of Mormon as well--it is a very personal revelation. Nothing but the Bible comes close to the persistent relevancy of its themes over time.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Yes, there is a whole vetting process. They want to know who they are dealing with.
It's a family. And the only way it can be a family is by knowing each other.
One of the first things you need is your genealogy.
Even tho' I was not a member of the church at the time, my genealogy was filed in SLC in 1979.
I had to go up there last year to find a copy in the microfiche archives.
dc

NthBrother
captain of 10

Post by NthBrother »

Wouldn't they have all that? I gave them my baptism date (or thereabouts), ward info, etc. I was too young to ever hold a calling (that I remember--we became inactive before I was ever ordained to the Priesthood (either one). My mom did do extensive genealogical research that was submitted to the Church and was used in a lot of temple baptisms.

They've gotta have all this stuff somewhere. It just seems strange to feel so jubilant about something only to be held up by bureaucracy.

I have to laugh. Such is the nature of our earthly institutions.