Re-visiting childhood faith

Tell us about yourself...
1ofhissheep
Hi, I'm new.

Re-visiting childhood faith

Post by 1ofhissheep »

Hey all:)

I am a 28 years old mom and wife. Grew up LDS and left at 14. My father is still a devout Mormon and I am a Non-denominational Christian. After a long talk with my dad, he convinced me to look into the Mormon faith again. I agreed and am going forth according to the challenge placed by Orson Pratt:

"If, after rigid examination, it [the Book of Mormon] be found to be an imposition, it should be extensively published to the world as such; the evidences and arguments upon which the imposture was detected, should be clearly and logically stated, that those who have been sincerely yet unfortunately deceived, may perceive the nature of the deception, and be reclaimed...” Orson Pratt’s works, Devine Authenticity of the Book of Mormon, 1851, pp. 1-2

The definition of logic is: reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity. So, in the terms Pratt has designated, I am setting forth to determine, logically, if the Mormon faith is true based on clear evidence to establish validity.

Taking into consideration that nothing of value can be proven "beyond a shadow of a doubt", I am trying to find reasonable answers for problems I have noticed within the faith, leaders and Mormon scriptures.

I am currently talking to a Mormon family, missionaries, my father and also a BYU professor who has graciously decided to help answer my questions. I have given my word that, if reasonable answers can be given, I will begin to re-attend the Mormon church.

Is there a place where I can ask questions here?

creator
(of the Forum)

yes, ask away

Post by creator »

You can definitely post your questions on this forum... you could put them under the "God, Family, Country" forum. I look forward to your questions and responses.

79scholar
captain of 100

Post by 79scholar »

Welcome! :-D

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Re: Re-visiting childhood faith

Post by Obrien »

1ofhissheep wrote:Hey all:)

I am a 28 years old mom and wife. Grew up LDS and left at 14. My father is still a devout Mormon and I am a Non-denominational Christian. After a long talk with my dad, he convinced me to look into the Mormon faith again. I agreed and am going forth according to the challenge placed by Orson Pratt:

"If, after rigid examination, it [the Book of Mormon] be found to be an imposition, it should be extensively published to the world as such; the evidences and arguments upon which the imposture was detected, should be clearly and logically stated, that those who have been sincerely yet unfortunately deceived, may perceive the nature of the deception, and be reclaimed...” Orson Pratt’s works, Devine Authenticity of the Book of Mormon, 1851, pp. 1-2

The definition of logic is: reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity. So, in the terms Pratt has designated, I am setting forth to determine, logically, if the Mormon faith is true based on clear evidence to establish validity.

Taking into consideration that nothing of value can be proven "beyond a shadow of a doubt", I am trying to find reasonable answers for problems I have noticed within the faith, leaders and Mormon scriptures.

I am currently talking to a Mormon family, missionaries, my father and also a BYU professor who has graciously decided to help answer my questions. I have given my word that, if reasonable answers can be given, I will begin to re-attend the Mormon church.

Is there a place where I can ask questions here?
Apparently this forum has been a magnet for all kinds of LDS, almost from its inception.
Mark, Rewcox, Kennyhs et al - questions are obviously not a phenomena of recent origin on LDSFF.
Too bad 1ofhissheep never followed up...