Why a prisonchaplain here?

Tell us about yourself...
prisonchaplain
captain of 50

Why a prisonchaplain here?

Post by prisonchaplain »

I really am a prison chaplain. Nearly 10 years ago there was a school board election in my town. One of the candidates was LDS, and at that time two of the five board members were. So, the other candidate promoted that she should be elected "to provide diversity." Interestingly, my corner of the word is majority-secular (Pacific Northwest). So, as an Evangelical clergyman, I took offense. I wrote a letter to the editor, calling out the candidate for her religious bigotry. No person's religious practice should be a detriment to political office, in this country. The good news is the LDS guy one.

The incident got me to thinking. I'd learned about the LDS faith from the typical Evangelical apologetics books, but always second hand. Would it not be worthwhile--especially for a chaplain--to learn from primary sources. So, I did a google search, found an LDS site, and began reading, then posting. That community has been very kind to me, and welcoming of my questions and the explanations I offer of my own faith. One of those members invited me to sign up here.

So, here I am. I'm 51, married, have 3 daughters, am an Assemblies of God minister, and a prison chaplain. I look forward to visiting here, and interacting. My understanding is that discussion of politics, freedom-related ideas, and even doctrine, are a little more free-wheeling here. I always believe intelligence is polite, and so hope I can contribute to the good conversations here.

theBruceGuy
captain of 100
Location: Battling SPECTRE -Sanctimonious People Engaging in Condecending Treament of Remnant Embassadors

Re: Why a prisonchaplain here?

Post by theBruceGuy »

Hi prisonchaplain, welcome.

My parents and I were Four Square Elim Pentecostal members back in Aberdeen, Scotland before we converted to the LDS faith. There are a few members of the forum who it appears are "LDS" with Pentecostal leanings. You should have no difficulty expressing your thoughts here.

There may be some who will try and "convert" with their knowledge. Just ask what you want, take what you recognize as truth from the answers and ignore the rest. Although this is an LDS discussion board, we should all be adult and Christian enough to share beliefs and opinions without taking or giving offence.

I'm sure you'll have fun here and we'll all gain from accessing each others knowledge and experience.

Have a blessed day. :ymhug:

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Hello prisonchaplain.
I have seen you around before.
I think you will make excellent contributions here.
And I think that you have a lot in common with a lot of the people here.
My background is Catholic and I'm fairly new to lds in a sense but I have looked at it for many years; 52 years ago I first visited Temple Square.
And I see a lot of common ground with many, most, or maybe all of the Christian churches.
dc

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Welcome!

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

Enjoy the forum, and may you find what your heart desires.

:)

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

"Free wheeling" is a pretty nice way to describe it. Glad to see an AoG preacher here - I'll look forward to your perspectives, as well.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Good to have you. I have recently become involved in the prison ministry at the Arizona State Prison in Florence Az. It will be nice to have an expert around from whom to seek advice.

prisonchaplain
captain of 50

Post by prisonchaplain »

Thanks for the hearty welcome! :-) I just finished helping with a volunteer training. So my first piece of "expert advice"--Don't fall in love with inmates. :-)

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

prisonchaplain wrote:Thanks for the hearty welcome! :-) I just finished helping with a volunteer training. So my first piece of "expert advice"--Don't fall in love with inmates. :-)
Oh darn

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

prisonchaplain wrote: ....Would it not be worthwhile--especially for a chaplain--to learn from primary sources....
For my part, you are certainly welcome here as long as you're not here to antimormon us. Doesn't sound like your intention, so, welcome.

However, just a caveat: you might not find mainstream mormonism well represented here. Even the most mainstream, (of which I'm not the best example) have the oddities which drew us to this place.

You'll also find a lot of people influenced by the ministry of a now excommunicated mormon. These people are well outside the mainstream, some have given up or lost their membership in the church. There are others similar to them, who supposedly came to a similar mindset independently of this man's ministry.

There are a few people who have put forth alternative theology.

I myself have dabbled in putting out, what I might call, "supplemental theology" or "speculative theology".

In short, you could easily get the wrong idea here!

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Permit a technical correction. If by " mainstream" you mean what the majority does or believes you should recognize that means don't attend church and don't give much credence to what church leaders teach. This is of course because less than a third of those whose names are on the records of the church as members actually attend , pay tithing or in most cases even self identify as church members. None the less Chaplain I am hopeful you will get a sense of the actual diversity of thought and practice that exists in the larger world of ' Mormonism"

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

braingrunt wrote:
prisonchaplain wrote: ....Would it not be worthwhile--especially for a chaplain--to learn from primary sources....
For my part, you are certainly welcome here as long as you're not here to antimormon us. Doesn't sound like your intention, so, welcome.
I will personally vouch for prisonchaplain. Relax, braingrunt. PC, as he is affectionately called at lds.net, contributes edifying content, as you will soon observe, and is objective in his approach. He knows as much about our doctrines as the average member of our church. I invited him here because I believe he has a lot to offer our community.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

marc wrote:
braingrunt wrote:
I will personally vouch for prisonchaplain. Relax, braingrunt. PC, as he is affectionately called at lds.net, contributes edifying content, as you will soon observe, and is objective in his approach. He knows as much about our doctrines as the average member of our church. I invited him here because I believe he has a lot to offer our community.
Good move, marc. Thx.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

What I enjoy about this place is that it is not required for newcomers to be like "us" or "think" like us to become one of "us." We are a diverse bunch, but we all mean well in our own selfish ways. Incidentally, prisonchaplain is a trusted moderator at lds.net where the rules are more strict. He's been a moderator there as long as I have been a member there (7 yrs), so hopefully this will put anyone's worries to rest and not assume the worst when a newcomer introduces himself.

prisonchaplain
captain of 50

Post by prisonchaplain »

braingrunt wrote:
prisonchaplain wrote:

In short, you could easily get the wrong idea here!
I'll stick with lds.org when I want super-official insight. Nevertheless, I appreciate the backstory on the culture here. Every person is valuable, so their beliefs deserve respect. I'm pleased to listen, and occasionally pontificate. B-)

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

I was on LDS.net for a short time (as Localfarms) and rememebr you fondly. Welcome PC!

prisonchaplain
captain of 50

Post by prisonchaplain »

Thanks for the warm welcome, y'all. :-)

BrotherOfMahonri
captain of 1,000

Post by BrotherOfMahonri »

marc wrote:What I enjoy about this place is that it is not required for newcomers to be like "us" or "think" like us to become one of "us." ...
unless your name is BoM or BDLDS ;) not speaking of you, but the other majority.