Lost 116 Pages Found

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Bpalmer
captain of 10

Lost 116 Pages Found

Post by Bpalmer »

If any of you know Bruce Porter, he is the man behind the idea that the Book of Mormon history took place here in the land of the United States. My Brother is in his ward and they talk regularly. Anyway, Bruce told him this week that the lost 116 pages have been found and the church is preparing an announcement in the coming weeks. My first reaction was, I'll believe it when I see it.

Brother Porter is connected with the church history department and is given regular assignments to investigate church history related events and material. He is credible.

Has anyone heard anything of this finding and can verify if its true or false?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Lost 116 Pages Found

Post by Silver »

So few responses may be an indicator that most are like you: We'll believe it when we see it.

However, it would be a most welcome announcement if true. May I just note, parenthetically, it does feel a bit like Bruce Porter might have betrayed a confidence by sharing with your brother. If there were truly an imminent announcement coming, it seems like the Church would want to keep it quiet for now.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I have an email address for Brother Porter and I thought about asking him about this, but decided not to. Maybe if I knew him well I'd ask him, not for now. I care more about other things now.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

It's been floating around more so the past couple weeks but it's been out for about a year. Just google it and you can find more info. I don't know if it's BS or not I don't put much stock in these things.

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

If it's true; I sure hope they are in the hands of a disinterested 3rd party. Like some museum in New York.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I would have a hard time believing it even if I saw such an announcement.

I believe those lost manuscript pages are in a very safe place. Not the originals, mind you, but the distorted version. If the church were ever to publish the Book of Lehi we would see the manuscript come to light and the differences between the published and altered versions proclaimed proof that it's not real.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

BringerOfJoy wrote: August 23rd, 2017, 10:49 pm If it's true; I sure hope they are in the hands of a disinterested 3rd party. Like some museum in New York.
No it's something like the guy who found them, they had been in his family locked away or in a safer deposit box and he inherited them or something. He recently joined the church. I think the church is supposedly testing them for authenticity.

I may have the deatails wrong but it's something like that.

Spider
captain of 100

Post by Spider »

Facsinating if true. Time will tell.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

This made me think of the seer stone that was unveiled. I absolutely believe the timing of that unveiling was the Lord's command.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

Bpalmer wrote: August 23rd, 2017, 6:53 pm If any of you know Bruce Porter, he is the man behind the idea that the Book of Mormon history took place here in the land of the United States. My Brother is in his ward and they talk regularly. Anyway, Bruce told him this week that the lost 116 pages have been found and the church is preparing an announcement in the coming weeks. My first reaction was, I'll believe it when I see it.

Brother Porter is connected with the church history department and is given regular assignments to investigate church history related events and material. He is credible.

Has anyone heard anything of this finding and can verify if its true or false?
If this originates truly from Bruce Porter, then you can take it to the bank as fact. However, I cannot verify that he is the source and so that certainly mitigates credibility. Still Bruce is an excellent educator of strong spiritual capacity.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

It would be neat if they were found. It might be interesting to read, but you still wouldn't be able to trust them. That's the whole reason they were never re-translated.

waialeale
captain of 10

Post by waialeale »

I've met Bruce through family connected with my uncle Leonard Arrington. He is a great teacher and presenter. He told me that the Church actually in fact has a "book of Joseph" that Joseph Smith translated that only general authorities and other trusted individuals are permitted to read. About the lost 116 pages, I have always believed and even received a witness of the Holy Ghost that they existed back east somewhere and would be found someday but I doubt that even if the Church had access to them they would not publish them or even make any announcements because of all the contradictions and PR messes that would ensue. Elder Holland did say once to the effect that "we wish we could teach the members more, but they are not worthy of it."

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

waialeale wrote: August 24th, 2017, 12:13 am I've met Bruce through family connected with my uncle Leonard Arrington. He is a great teacher and presenter. He told me that the Church actually in fact has a "book of Joseph" that Joseph Smith translated that only general authorities and other trusted individuals are permitted to read. About the lost 116 pages, I have always believed and even received a witness of the Holy Ghost that they existed back east somewhere and would be found someday but I doubt that even if the Church had access to them they would not publish them or even make any announcements because of all the contradictions and PR messes that would ensue. Elder Holland did say once to the effect that "we wish we could teach the members more, but they are not worthy of it."
That’s where the Holy Ghost comes in. The presidency can meet about this and feel the Holy Ghost if the pages are unchanged and correct. They could also feel the impression to fix them (somehow). Jesus could also visit them. But the Holy Ghost seems more likely to help.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

https://www.preparingapeople.com/copy-of-events

These folks are claiming Dan Judd, a decendant of Joseph Smith, inherited the 116 pages. See link

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

investigator wrote: August 24th, 2017, 7:42 am https://www.preparingapeople.com/copy-of-events

These folks are claiming Dan Judd, a decendant of Joseph Smith, inherited the 116 pages. See link
There's going to be a conference on the "Book of Lehi." Details at the link above. Look who's on the list of speakers. And who's not.

Preparing A People Conference - Orem, Utah
"Preparing to Receive More of the Book of Mormon
Sat 9 September 2017 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
UVU Special Event Center, Orem-UT.

This is an All-day Conference held at the Utah Valley Convention center featuring LDS Speakers, Music, & Video Testimonies.

Speakers include: Dan Judd, Shawn Littlebear, Chad Daybell, Hector Sosa Jr., Pamela Romney Openshaw & more.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

investigator wrote: August 24th, 2017, 7:42 am https://www.preparingapeople.com/copy-of-events

I see.... and for a mere $25/ticket, I too can listen to him tell all about the 116 pages that supposedly the Smith family lost nearly 200 years ago? Not to mention I can meet Chad Daybell and Hector Sosa, notorious NDE and Julie Rowe fans?

Something doesn't smell right.

dewajack
captain of 100

Post by dewajack »

I shouldn't probably post this online, but I know the name of the man with the 116 pages. His name is Hofmann, Mark Hofmann ;)

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

dewajack wrote: August 24th, 2017, 8:14 am I shouldn't probably post this online, but I know the name of the man with the 116 pages. His name is Hofmann, Mark Hofmann ;)
Yep, he just never had time to write them. He has told that his intention was indeed to produce the 116 pages.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

iWriteStuff wrote: August 24th, 2017, 7:59 am

I see.... and for a mere $25/ticket, I too can listen to him tell all about the 116 pages that supposedly the Smith family lost nearly 200 years ago? Not to mention I can meet Chad Daybell and Hector Sosa, notorious NDE and Julie Rowe fans?

In the old version of the page (https://www.preparingapeople.com/events), Julie Rowe is listed too.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

The 116 pages have to be somewhere. I've always wondered where they got to. I think they could be trusted for the most part and would love to read them. But after reading this thread, I'm feeling doubtful they are actually going to be revealed. :D

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

inho wrote: August 24th, 2017, 9:24 am
iWriteStuff wrote: August 24th, 2017, 7:59 am

In the old version of the page (https://www.preparingapeople.com/events), Julie Rowe is listed too.
Sounds like a Hucksters Reunion tour. If this thing turns out to be a fraud, I hope it takes the rest of them down with it.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

waialeale wrote: August 24th, 2017, 12:13 am I've met Bruce through family connected with my uncle Leonard Arrington. He is a great teacher and presenter. He told me that the Church actually in fact has a "book of Joseph" that Joseph Smith translated that only general authorities and other trusted individuals are permitted to read. About the lost 116 pages, I have always believed and even received a witness of the Holy Ghost that they existed back east somewhere and would be found someday but I doubt that even if the Church had access to them they would not publish them or even make any announcements because of all the contradictions and PR messes that would ensue. Elder Holland did say once to the effect that "we wish we could teach the members more, but they are not worthy of it."
I have always been uneasy with what I call the two church system. The higher church reserved for the GA's and the left overs for the rest of us. This post doesnt help.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Another supposed 'faith promoting' rumor, I suspect. And as Silver said, if Bruce Porter has such a great reputation, then why would he be breaking confidences by sharing this info?

I'll just say, when the authentic Ark of the Covenant is found, I'll believe there is a chance the 116 pages could be found.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

tribrac wrote: August 24th, 2017, 9:46 am
I have always been uneasy with what I call the two church system. The higher church reserved for the GA's and the left overs for the rest of us. This post doesnt help.

Well, you could do what I do and don't believe it, then you won't be encouraged to think that Church leaders are sharing stuff amongst themselves that the rest of us don't know about, which undermines members' trust in them. To me, this stuff fits in to the Mormon 'Urban Legend' category'.

TrueIntent
captain of 100

Post by TrueIntent »

i don't like how that feels...."they wish they could teach us more, but we aren't worthy of it". That's a blanket statement that can't be true for the entire membership. I hope he didn't say that. That feels like a very prideful statement. Christ still taught, he just taught in parables to those who wouldn't accept Him as the Messiah...and the ones who wouldn't accept him were the Pharisees and scribes (the ones who had access to and kept and interpreted the records). I believe it was Paul that said, he had not withheld anything. We shouldn't be withholding information from any members at this stage of the game....if it is the final hour, everyone should have access. I like Elder Holland...i hope he didn't say that. He is a good man, but that statement is misguided if true. I truly hope this is all true about the 116 pages....it would be a fascinating thing.