Who's watching the eclipse today?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Re: Who's watching the eclipse today?

Post by Rose Garden »

SmallFarm wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 9:06 pm I plan on being in Texas in 2024. I'm not going to miss another one! We should have an LDSFF get together! :D
We totally should!

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

shadow wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 10:08 am
Sasquatch wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 2:15 am
Mark wrote: August 21st, 2017, 11:11 pm
shadow wrote: August 21st, 2017, 10:36 pm I took my boys and drove up to Palisades and watched it. Absolutely amazing. For me it was well worth 6+ hours in the car for a minute or so of sky gazing.

And behold, all things have their likeness, and all things are created and made to bear record of me, both things which are temporal, and things which are spiritual; things which are in the heavens above, and things which are on the earth, and things which are in the earth, and things which are under the earth, both above and beneath: all things bear record of me.
So 6 or more hours of bumper to bumper pain and boredom for 1 minute of thrills. Sound like waiting in line at Disneyland. At least Disneyland rides are 2 or 3 minutes long. You got gypped.
Still way cheaper than Disneyland, though. And also, it's simple to pack up and make a trip out to Disney anytime. The park isn't going anywhere. Next total eclipses in the US will be in 2024 and 2045.Which event is more special? The eclipse is also a testament to God's handiwork, since the moon is able to obscure the Sun at all from Earth despite their drastically different masses.
Mark looks like and acts like a Disney character so he tries to put a plug in for it whenever he can.

Goofy.svg.png

What do you expect? I have been coming to this looney bin for over 10 years now. I think Goofy sums it up nicely. What's your excuse? @-)

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

SmallFarm wrote: August 23rd, 2017, 2:50 pm
Is that you or someone else?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

No not me, Codydon Reeder. I follow his YouTube channel. He's in the top 100 to be picked for the first mission to Mars

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

I do have my own YouTube channel but I haven't posted much there :ymblushing:

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

I can definitely see Codydon Reeder being a pioneer on Mars! He is an undeterred MacGyver sort of person.

My son & I were fascinated when he was playing with focusing sunlight through the magnifier in the midst of a totally dry field of straw stubble! Whoa!!!

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

SmallFarm wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 9:06 pm I plan on being in Texas in 2024. I'm not going to miss another one! We should have an LDSFF get together! :D
Like a physical get together?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Z2100 wrote: August 23rd, 2017, 4:39 pm
Well, any of us that happen to go to Texas for the eclipse anyway. :D

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Z2100 wrote: August 23rd, 2017, 4:39 pm
There have been the occasional physical get togethers by LDSFF members but they have usually been in northern Utah.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Relevant?
JST Matthew 24:38 Now learn a parable of the fig tree—When its branches are yet tender, and it begins to put forth leaves, you know that summer is nigh at hand;

39 So likewise, mine elect, when they shall see all these things, they shall know that he is near, even at the doors;

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Solar Eclipse Path.jpg
Solar Eclipse Path.jpg (100.71 KiB) Viewed 455 times

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

My friend told me that they went out into the middle of nowhere, about an hour and a half West of Idaho Falls. It was flat and there was no one around at all. When the eclipse took place, she says there was a 360° sunset effect all around the horizon. Now I'm really jealous....

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I have been waiting 25 years for the total eclipse. I thought I had worked it up so much it could not live up to it. It did. Watching the sun disappear and reappear was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.

The strangest thing about it for me was: 5 seconds before totality, you could not tell by looking directly at the sun that it was eclipsed. It did not look like it did with the glasses on. It went from a circle - 100% full - to the corona in about 4 or 5 seconds. The moon was covering it probably 99% and it looked like a normal sun! That didn't make sense to me. In ancient times, they would notice it getting dimmer but if they had a 98% eclipse, they might have no idea that the sun was being blocked.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

Meili wrote: August 25th, 2017, 3:25 pm My friend told me that they went out into the middle of nowhere, about an hour and a half West of Idaho Falls. It was flat and there was no one around at all. When the eclipse took place, she says there was a 360° sunset effect all around the horizon. Now I'm really jealous....
That is true. I was in Idaho falls and noticed the same thing, it was amazing.