Who's watching the eclipse today?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Crackers
captain of 100

Re: Who's watching the eclipse today?

Post by Crackers »

Beautiful picture, brianj! It's funny how the pictures, while awesome, don't seem to capture the way it actually looked in reality. Do you agree? I remember a mottled grayish interior, with a bright outer border, and then of course the marvelous corona. I phone-videoed (very, very amateur, huh!) the transition into totality, and it too, looked nothing like the actual event. It makes one ponder what else there is out there that we remember wrong, or don't perceive precisely, or forget due to imprecise recording. Probably a lot.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Crackers wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 10:11 am Thanks for the insight on Mark. I have a visual now that is different from his avatar. Hahaha
Well, his avatar is also correct. Fast forward to about the 2 minute mark-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9XhVuoNEe0

Sasquatch
captain of 50

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, his avatar, Al Borland, is technically a Disney character.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Crackers wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 2:00 pm Beautiful picture, brianj! It's funny how the pictures, while awesome, don't seem to capture the way it actually looked in reality. Do you agree? I remember a mottled grayish interior, with a bright outer border, and then of course the marvelous corona. I phone-videoed (very, very amateur, huh!) the transition into totality, and it too, looked nothing like the actual event. It makes one ponder what else there is out there that we remember wrong, or don't perceive precisely, or forget due to imprecise recording. Probably a lot.
Cameras don't capture things the same way our eyes do, but they can also capture things our eyes don't. Was it dark during the eclipse? I honestly don't know! I was so focused on the sun and moon, as well as my camera, that I didn't notice anything else! I was so focused on looking through my telescope or binoculars and posting updates that I didn't notice how dull the light had become until I heard someone else mention it.

Maybe in 2019 or 2020 I can go to Chile. Maybe I will be able to go to Texas in 2024. And if so, maybe I will have much better photographic equipment.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

We are in south central North Dakota where there was about 85% eclipse beginning at 11:30 am through 2:30 pm. We watched from the picnic table under our ash trees while processing a few bushels of corn for drying. I had an old film negative I used as my eclipse viewer. My husband used a colander with lots of holes through which the light created an image on a white board. Taking photographs of the images on the white board was a bit of a challenge. As the moon overshadowed the sun a cool wind came up as ambient light became more of a rose color. Beautiful!

Then I noticed something I would not have imagined. Apparently, it is a known phenomenon, but we had no 'heads up' prior to witnessing it. The light surrounding the moon's shadow filtered through the ash leaves and created 1,000's of crescent eclipse images on the side of our two-story white clapboard farmhouse - all shimmering in the wind! The images online are very high resolution and I don't have the ability to attach personal files here. Look under "eclipse images through leaves" on Google.

Found one!

Spider
captain of 100

Post by Spider »

I watched the total solar eclipse in Rexburg. It was unreal! People were so caught off guard for the moment of totality and the moment when the sun starts to come out again (the diamond ring effect) that everyone was yelling in awe and excitement! It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my life. A partial eclipse does not compare at all!!!

Spider
captain of 100

Post by Spider »

The diamond ring effect
The diamond ring effect
IMG_5496.JPG (481.42 KiB) Viewed 1054 times

Spider
captain of 100

Post by Spider »

Another one. Note the solar flares. Spectacular!
Another one. Note the solar flares. Spectacular!
IMG_0846.JPG (142.57 KiB) Viewed 1052 times

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

I plan on being in Texas in 2024. I'm not going to miss another one! We should have an LDSFF get together! :D

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

I watched eclipse from Greenwood, SC

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

SmallFarm wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 9:06 pm I plan on being in Texas in 2024. I'm not going to miss another one! We should have an LDSFF get together! :D
We totally should!

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

shadow wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 10:08 am
Sasquatch wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 2:15 am
Mark wrote: August 21st, 2017, 11:11 pm
shadow wrote: August 21st, 2017, 10:36 pm I took my boys and drove up to Palisades and watched it. Absolutely amazing. For me it was well worth 6+ hours in the car for a minute or so of sky gazing.

And behold, all things have their likeness, and all things are created and made to bear record of me, both things which are temporal, and things which are spiritual; things which are in the heavens above, and things which are on the earth, and things which are in the earth, and things which are under the earth, both above and beneath: all things bear record of me.
So 6 or more hours of bumper to bumper pain and boredom for 1 minute of thrills. Sound like waiting in line at Disneyland. At least Disneyland rides are 2 or 3 minutes long. You got gypped.
Still way cheaper than Disneyland, though. And also, it's simple to pack up and make a trip out to Disney anytime. The park isn't going anywhere. Next total eclipses in the US will be in 2024 and 2045.Which event is more special? The eclipse is also a testament to God's handiwork, since the moon is able to obscure the Sun at all from Earth despite their drastically different masses.
Mark looks like and acts like a Disney character so he tries to put a plug in for it whenever he can.

Goofy.svg.png

What do you expect? I have been coming to this looney bin for over 10 years now. I think Goofy sums it up nicely. What's your excuse? @-)

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

SmallFarm wrote: August 23rd, 2017, 2:50 pm
Is that you or someone else?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

No not me, Codydon Reeder. I follow his YouTube channel. He's in the top 100 to be picked for the first mission to Mars

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

I do have my own YouTube channel but I haven't posted much there :ymblushing:

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

I can definitely see Codydon Reeder being a pioneer on Mars! He is an undeterred MacGyver sort of person.

My son & I were fascinated when he was playing with focusing sunlight through the magnifier in the midst of a totally dry field of straw stubble! Whoa!!!

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

SmallFarm wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 9:06 pm I plan on being in Texas in 2024. I'm not going to miss another one! We should have an LDSFF get together! :D
Like a physical get together?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Z2100 wrote: August 23rd, 2017, 4:39 pm
Well, any of us that happen to go to Texas for the eclipse anyway. :D

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Z2100 wrote: August 23rd, 2017, 4:39 pm
There have been the occasional physical get togethers by LDSFF members but they have usually been in northern Utah.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Relevant?
JST Matthew 24:38 Now learn a parable of the fig tree—When its branches are yet tender, and it begins to put forth leaves, you know that summer is nigh at hand;

39 So likewise, mine elect, when they shall see all these things, they shall know that he is near, even at the doors;

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Solar Eclipse Path.jpg
Solar Eclipse Path.jpg (100.71 KiB) Viewed 454 times

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

My friend told me that they went out into the middle of nowhere, about an hour and a half West of Idaho Falls. It was flat and there was no one around at all. When the eclipse took place, she says there was a 360° sunset effect all around the horizon. Now I'm really jealous....

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I have been waiting 25 years for the total eclipse. I thought I had worked it up so much it could not live up to it. It did. Watching the sun disappear and reappear was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.

The strangest thing about it for me was: 5 seconds before totality, you could not tell by looking directly at the sun that it was eclipsed. It did not look like it did with the glasses on. It went from a circle - 100% full - to the corona in about 4 or 5 seconds. The moon was covering it probably 99% and it looked like a normal sun! That didn't make sense to me. In ancient times, they would notice it getting dimmer but if they had a 98% eclipse, they might have no idea that the sun was being blocked.