Deleted

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Teancum
captain of 100

Re: I'm taking a break from all news media and social media

Post by Teancum »

CelestialAngel wrote: All forms of media is too ugly and distracting in my life and from my scripture reading. Does this message board count as social media? I wanna spend more time enjoying life and worrying less about other stuff.
I commend your desire to demediafy (my word) your life. I find that the media (of whatever flavor) is a tremendous source of very strong emotions. Fear, anger, hate, lust, among others, are easily transmitted to the consumer. Even those who know that such transmission of emotion is happening, it is very hard to shut it off, or not be influenced by it. I have been several years without television, or newspaper and obtain much of my information from the internet. I can tell you that it is much more peaceful without having canned and prepackaged emotional stirring stories being pumped into my head. There is still diligence required to filter information from the internet, but it is more under your control.

Not sure if this forum constitutes social media or not, as there are mostly non family and friends here so the emotional investment isn't so strong. It depends on how addicted you are to it :D

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 20th, 2017, 8:02 pm All forms of media is too ugly and distracting in my life and from my scripture reading. Does this message board count as social media? I wanna spend more time enjoying life and worrying less about other stuff.
I take tech breaks regularly, usually a month or two at a time. It really does heal me. I wish I could go back to using no tech at all, but we do seem to get sucked in. I only got text on my phone when my old ward kept texting me and getting upset that I didn't respond or know about stuff, no matter how many times I told them I didn't have text on my phone. lol

Teancum
captain of 100

Post by Teancum »

CelestialAngel wrote: I wanna spend more time enjoying life and worrying less about other stuff.
One other thing that I thought of, was to be sure you are not doing this out of fear. Some people that I have seen "woken up" have been too overcome by fear that they completely shut down, build a defensive wall and wont let in any info that threatens their "safe zone". If that is the case, I would suggest figuring out how you can deal with and conquer your fears, so that you are not oblivious to unfolding things that should have your full attention.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

While you are focusing more on scripture reading, have a look at D&C 88: 79 and D&C 93:53

Baysimove
captain of 100

Post by Baysimove »

yes, sometimes you need a break for social media. So much negativity in there.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

I've bailed on social media but got more selective with my news. I find life works better that way and I commend you on your journey.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 20th, 2017, 8:50 pm
lundbaek wrote: August 20th, 2017, 8:39 pm While you are focusing more on scripture reading, have a look at D&C 88: 79 and D&C 93:53
If something important happens in the world I'm sure someone will tell me about it at work in person.
I think you might have missed his point.

Add d&c 76-82 instead of just 79
Add d&c 123 12-16

All Those scriptures are about awaking to the secret combination and their influence on the world wars and perplexities and warning our neighbors about them. The scriptures are the key of those understandings not what media is saying what is going on.

Understanding the secret combinations by studying how they brought 2 different civilizations in the Book of Mormon to destruction and how we are following the same pattern today can only be learned by the study of the past layed out in scripture.

2/3rds of the Book of Mormon covers a 225 years of history when the people were self governed with secret combination taking them over to destruction. It's a very important lesson that somehow goes above the heads of most readers is my opinion.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 20th, 2017, 8:02 pm All forms of media is too ugly and distracting in my life and from my scripture reading. Does this message board count as social media? I wanna spend more time enjoying life and worrying less about other stuff.
Take a break from it all, (this included) it will do you good.