LDS Church Applauds Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer Concert.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

LDS Church Applauds Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer Concert.

Post by LukeAir2008 »

The LDS church has publicly announced its support for a Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer/Questioning (LGBTQ) Concert to be held in Orem, Utah.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/c ... d-festival

The LGBTQ community are coming together to show their love and respect for all of God's children and the Church is giving it a big πŸ‘

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: LDS Church Applauds Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer Concert.

Post by David13 »

Love and respect for children? Or love and respect for sin?
dc

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Already covered in a another thread.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I applaud the way LukeAir spelled out "Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer" instead of just using the acronym.

I hope a GA attends this concert, preferably a 70 who won't be recognized, and returns and reports to the Brethren just exactly what they put their stamp of approval on.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Lizzy60 wrote: ↑August 20th, 2017, 8:57 am I applaud the way LukeAir spelled out "Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer" instead of just using the acronym.

I hope a GA attends this concert, preferably a 70 who won't be recognized, and returns and reports to the Brethren just exactly what they put their stamp of approval on.
I think it would be even better if all the Quorum attended and had a chance to participate in all the fun and festivities. :ymhug:

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

This post and many comments are misleading.

First off its an attempt to build on common beliefs NOT give a stamp of approval to their activities. It even says so if you read it. They only acknowledged that both groups value the priceless youth, and the need for a future for youth. It does not say they applaud their concert. Instead it uses clever wording to say we hope they will do their activity in a way that promotes good, and not bad.

Also this is an attempt to stave off future persecution for church members from them early on, recognizing them for the trouble they have with attacking anyone who doesn't agree with them quickly. If you go over the wording carefully with the Spirit and seek the Spirit's guide to help you understand why this was done, you will come to the same conclusion.

Also please bear in mind some of the scriptures of the Last Days; the Saints of Zion, or those who are building up Zion (not necessarily all church members), will be the only people not at war with one another. Why will we be the only group not at war with one another? Because we are trying to build each other up, but not condone bad behavior. We are trying to be builders instead of destroyers. That's hard to do sometimes, when you have a family member that doesn't want to be good, you have to look for commonality without getting involved with their problems. You are encouraging them to come back and see there's some potential for good in them that you are trying to keep them from giving up on. That means when they do a little good, you need to try to be somewhat positive as a real brother might be to another brother to keep the small seed of good in them from being overcome by darkness, but you still won't be within the circle of influence of things you don't have control over the atmosphere and where there is no spirit of God.

So the question remains, how do we become a Zion people so we won't be at war with one another (spiritually and temporally)?

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

I've been pondering this and thought of two things. A friend told me a story about attending conference back when it was still held at the tabernacle. There were the usual protestors and she was really bothered by them. Then Elder Perry, on his way inside, came up by the one near her, put his hand on the guy's shoulder and cheerfully said, "keep up the good work!" And left.
I also think about the temple workers offering ice water to the protestors outside the LA temple during prop 8. I feel from the spirit like that's more what we need to focus on right now. It's not condoning sin to find something in common.
The Lord does call us to cry repentance at times, but sometimes He asks us to "pray for them which despitefully use you. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also."
If anyone is sincerely bothered by this, as I was, go to Lord in prayer and ask for understanding.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

David13 wrote: ↑August 20th, 2017, 8:23 am Love and respect for children? Or love and respect for sin?
dc
Love and respect for people. I like that they're demonstrating that hatred of sin does not equate to hatred of the people sinning. The Proclamation makes God's position of gender roles clear. Statements from the church have been clear about defining the gospel teachings about homosexual behavior as sinful, but it's good to remind members we don't need to degrade or demean people who share different beliefs.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

The culture war is over. Evangelical Conservatism lost. Welcome to the New Age.

So what are you going to do about it? To borrow from Church History, the Prophet said gather to Farr West. Are you going to go, or stick it out at Hauns Mill?

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Yahtzee wrote: ↑August 20th, 2017, 2:42 pm I've been pondering this and thought of two things. A friend told me a story about attending conference back when it was still held at the tabernacle. There were the usual protestors and she was really bothered by them. Then Elder Perry, on his way inside, came up by the one near her, put his hand on the guy's shoulder and cheerfully said, "keep up the good work!" And left.
I also think about the temple workers offering ice water to the protestors outside the LA temple during prop 8. I feel from the spirit like that's more what we need to focus on right now. It's not condoning sin to find something in common.
The Lord does call us to cry repentance at times, but sometimes He asks us to "pray for them which despitefully use you. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also."
If anyone is sincerely bothered by this, as I was, go to Lord in prayer and ask for understanding.
I think this is a great post and I agree with everything you say.

However, I find no similarities between the stories and principles you are stating and the current situation.

Endorsing a concert celebrating homosexuality and transgenderism is in no way similar to giving ice water to protesters. We are not being despitefuly used. We have gone out of our way to normalize and celebrate a sinful sexual fetish in homosexuality and a mental illness in transgenderism. This will not lead anyone to repentance. It will only lead more people to the sin.

I appreciate you went to the Lord for understanding. I will not comment on the answer you feel you received. I will simply say that I am unaware of anytime the Lord has endorsed the activities of people glorying in their sins in the name of love. Just as Satan will not lead us closer to the Father, Christ will not lead us farther away. The fruit of actions such as these is not less homosexuality and more repentance. The fruit is a larger group of people living in sin while feeling justified because they have the approval of the church.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

Serragon wrote: ↑August 21st, 2017, 5:45 pm
Yahtzee wrote: ↑August 20th, 2017, 2:42 pm I've been pondering this and thought of two things. A friend told me a story about attending conference back when it was still held at the tabernacle. There were the usual protestors and she was really bothered by them. Then Elder Perry, on his way inside, came up by the one near her, put his hand on the guy's shoulder and cheerfully said, "keep up the good work!" And left.
I think this is a great post and I agree with everything you say.

However, I find no similarities between the stories and principles you are stating and the current situation.

Endorsing a concert celebrating homosexuality and transgenderism is in no way similar to giving ice water to protesters. We are not being despitefuly used. We have gone out of our way to normalize and celebrate a sinful sexual fetish in homosexuality and a mental illness in transgenderism. This will not lead anyone to repentance. It will only lead more people to the sin.

I appreciate you went to the Lord for understanding. I will not comment on the answer you feel you received. I will simply say that I am unaware of anytime the Lord has endorsed the activities of people glorying in their sins in the name of love. Just as Satan will not lead us closer to the Father, Christ will not lead us farther away. The fruit of actions such as these is not less homosexuality and more repentance. The fruit is a larger group of people living in sin while feeling justified because they have the approval of the church.
I apologize for making it unclear. internet conversations are hard. I was thinking of the attitude of the people in my anecdotes toward those who opposed them. Instead of pointing out how wicked they were, they found a way to show love. After praying I feel like that is what the church is doing with their statement.

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

Lizzy60 wrote: ↑August 20th, 2017, 8:57 am I applaud the way LukeAir spelled out "Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer" instead of just using the acronym.

thought Q was 'Questioning'

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

sandman45 wrote: ↑August 22nd, 2017, 1:35 pm

thought Q was 'Questioning'
It can mean either queer or questioning. I take it you didn't actually read the post, just the title?

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

No one knows what Q means.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Sirocco wrote: ↑August 22nd, 2017, 9:24 pm No one knows what Q means.
I thought that was X.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

skmo wrote: ↑August 23rd, 2017, 12:01 am
Sirocco wrote: ↑August 22nd, 2017, 9:24 pm No one knows what Q means.
I thought that was X.
I always spell it LGBTQQAARP(Silent 5)

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

I go with LGBTW, W means "whatever"

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Seek the Truth wrote: ↑August 23rd, 2017, 12:13 am I go with LGBTW, W means "whatever"
In all seriousness, I just call them "The Gays"

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

Homos might be better.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Seek the Truth wrote: ↑August 23rd, 2017, 12:19 am Homos might be better.
Unless you preferred to act as Christ commanded us to do. He commanded us to avoid sin. He also commanded us to love our neighbors, not call them demeaning names.

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

Well homosexual, heterosexual, seem like pretty neutral words to me. "Gay" is propaganda.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

skmo wrote: ↑August 23rd, 2017, 12:21 am
Unless you preferred to act as Christ commanded us to do. He commanded us to avoid sin. He also commanded us to love our neighbors, not call them demeaning names.
It's a demeaning name because it's a demeaning act. Homo is simply a shortened name for homosexual.

Murder is demeaning so we shouldn't call one who commits it a murderer??

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

Epithets are about connotation. They aren't scientifically derived, they evolve with the language and change over time. It's not about whether the term is etymologically apt, it's about how people want to be identified. You know, treat others as you'd want to be treated.

"Retarded" used to be regarded as a euphemism for "slow." Now among the intellectually disabled it's practically a slur. I don't pretend to understand how "retarded" became so derogatory, I just know that it did. And it's rude to call people derogatory names, so I try to avoid it.

I used to refer to people who oppose gays as "homophobes." Come to find out a lot of them object to this term, because they aren't scared of gays. Somehow, it didn't help when I pointed out that the suffix "-phobia" doesn't mean "fear" in this case, but opposition, resistance, or repellance. Same with "xenophobe." It's like how the Scotchguard I spray on my camping equipment is hydrophobic. It's not afraid of water, it bravely stands up to it and thwarts it from making inroads into my tent seams. Still, the word has come to connote bigotry and people don't like it, however technically accurate it may be. So I quit using it.

The only time I hear murderers reject the term is when they maintain their innocence of the crime. I've never heard of a murderer who openly acknowledges their guilt ask to be called something else. But I don't think I know any murderers personally, so I could be way off base. Is there some other term they prefer?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

shadow wrote: ↑August 23rd, 2017, 7:26 am
skmo wrote: ↑August 23rd, 2017, 12:21 am
It's a demeaning name because it's a demeaning act. Homo is simply a shortened name for homosexual.

Murder is demeaning so we shouldn't call one who commits it a murderer??
Were you ever called a homo growing up? I was numerously. It was always said to demean. I think it's pretty clear how it's used.....