Charlottesville Race Riots

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Charlottesville Race Riots

Post by Elizabeth »

This is a most unfortunate and disillusioning statement from Salt Lake LDS Public Affairs and one which has been noticed and adversely commented upon by White Nationalists who otherwise support the LDS Church. One may legitimately ask why Antifa, “Black Lives Matter”, SPLC and the sundry other groups of leftist hooligans who instigated and continued the violence have not been mentioned. In fact I intend to contact Salt Lake LDS Public Affairs and ask just this question. I myself have held positions in LDS Public Affairs as do my family currently.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

Elizabeth wrote: August 15th, 2017, 5:06 pm This is a most unfortunate and disillusioning statement from Salt Lake LDS Public Affairs and one which has been noticed and adversely commented upon by White Nationalists who otherwise support the LDS Church. One may legitimately ask why Antifa, “Black Lives Matter”, SPLC and the sundry other groups of leftist hooligans who instigated and continued the violence have not been mentioned. In fact I intend to contact Salt Lake LDS Public Affairs and ask just this question. I myself have held positions in LDS Public Affairs as do my family currently.
I agree that that statement was unfortunate and unnecessary. The LDS church had nothing to do with this riot. Why did they make a statement at all? Since they did make a statement why focus on one side. Why not condemn all racism?

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Mark wrote: August 15th, 2017, 9:11 am Notice how the narrative has been established and pushed by the media and the politicians? Read this KSL Article closely. Don't you dare even hint to the fact that it was also the black lives matter/ antifa crowd that shoulders just as much if not more of the blame for these riots.
Oops.

Trump Blames Both Sides for Violence in Virginia

Reporters and entertainment dweebs are going to blow a head gasket. I really, REALLY didn't like Trump's election (although I was sure it was a nanometer's width better than the hildabeast's) but he's done a lot of right things. He's been castigated for it, but it's yowling leftist harpies doesn't change what is.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

skmo wrote: August 15th, 2017, 5:38 pm
Mark wrote: August 15th, 2017, 9:11 am Notice how the narrative has been established and pushed by the media and the politicians? Read this KSL Article closely. Don't you dare even hint to the fact that it was also the black lives matter/ antifa crowd that shoulders just as much if not more of the blame for these riots.
Oops.

Reporters and entertainment dweebs are going to blow a head gasket. I really, REALLY didn't like Trump's election (although I was sure it was a nanometer's width better than the hildabeast's) but he's done a lot of right things. He's been castigated for it, but it's yowling leftist harpies doesn't change what is.
Trump is far from perfect, but the difference is that he at least cares. He cares about this country, and he cares about the American people.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

Elizabeth wrote: August 15th, 2017, 5:06 pm This is a most unfortunate and disillusioning statement from Salt Lake LDS Public Affairs and one which has been noticed and adversely commented upon by White Nationalists who otherwise support the LDS Church. One may legitimately ask why Antifa, “Black Lives Matter”, SPLC and the sundry other groups of leftist hooligans who instigated and continued the violence have not been mentioned. In fact I intend to contact Salt Lake LDS Public Affairs and ask just this question. I myself have held positions in LDS Public Affairs as do my family currently.
You are missing the main reason behind the statement made by church public affairs. Read closely the first line of the statement:

“It has been called to our attention that there are some among the various pro-white and white supremacy communities who assert that the church is neutral toward or in support of their views. Nothing could be further from the truth,"

In other words some white supremacist communities are saying the LDS church winks at or openly supports their views. The church most certainly does not. This statement is merely clarification of that. There is nothing wrong with the church making that clear. White supremacy at its roots is evil and unChristlike. We are all children of a loving God regardless of our race or ethnicity. Pres. Hinckley was very clear of this in his statement condemning racism and bigotry of any form when he said this:

“We recognize the need to heal the wounds of society and replace with optimism and faith the pessimism of our times. We must recognize that there is no need for recrimination or criticism against one another. We must use our influence to still the voices of angry and vindictive argument.

“… Our strength lies in our freedom to choose. There is strength even in our very diversity. But there is greater strength in the God-given mandate to each of us to work for the uplift and blessing of all His sons and daughters, regardless of their ethnic or national origin or other differences. …

“May the Lord bless us to work unitedly to remove from our hearts and drive from our society all elements of hatred, bigotry, racism, and other divisive words and actions. The snide remark, the racial slur, hateful epithets, malicious gossip, and mean and vicious rumor-mongering should have no place among us.

“May God bless us all with the peace that comes from Him. May He bless us with thankful hearts and with the will to mingle together with respect one for another, uniting our efforts to the blessing of the communities where we are fortunate to live.”1

I know you are very opinionated Elizabeth about this issue. I would hope as a Latter Day Saint you would support our Prophets who constantly call for us to extend love and kindness and acceptance toward ALL of Gods children regardless of race or ethnicity or background. It is what the Savior would have us do. It is part of his restored gospel.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

skmo wrote: August 15th, 2017, 5:38 pm
Oops.

I agree. There is plenty of blame to go around on this incident. Nobody is innocent when it comes to the ugliness displayed. See how Trump is castigated for telling the truth about both groups? He is bucking the narrative that the press and many other politicians are pushing down everybodys throats. That is why the press and media are just 5th columnist leftist lapdogs for communist inspired causes and politicians are spineless whores just wanting to follow those marching orders with no real moral or ethical backbones for fear they will also be labeled racists or bigots or not get re-elected. The inmates are running the asylum. And may I say its great to have you back in the saddle. Keep telling it like it is without pulling any punches. It is refreshing to hear honesty for a change. So much political correctness out and about is making me feel nauseated.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

markharr wrote: August 15th, 2017, 5:17 pm I agree that that statement was unfortunate and unnecessary. The LDS church had nothing to do with this riot. Why did they make a statement at all? Since they did make a statement why focus on one side. Why not condemn all racism?
It's called "virtue signalling." You have to yell just as loudly as everybody else, for fear of being accused of secretly harboring the same sentiments as those being condemned. This is very common under totalitarian regimes.

Even calling out the entirely lopsided accusations of racism towards a single race is enough to get you branded a perpetrator. You either get on board and condemn only the white supremacists like everybody else is doing, or you're a Nazi, and therefore guilty and worthy of any and all hatred and violence against you.

The growing zealotry in this country is getting pretty scary. And church leaders have made plenty of statements in the past that are more than enough to get us all thrown into the fire.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

markharr wrote: August 15th, 2017, 2:02 pm Removing statues doesn't change history. It only makes us look like ISIS.

The vast majority of American people are not racist. This is a vocal and radical minority from both sides. Let's stop judging the entire nation on a fraction of a fraction of a percent.

You can't eliminate hateful speech without eliminating free agency and the first amendment. Stop paying attention to the racists and they will go away.
How did OK'ing the removing of this statue even happen? Who called for it? Who actually voted on it? Are the protestors on either side of this riot actually from the state this riot happened in?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/c ... e-virginia

"White supremacist attitudes are morally wrong and sinful, and we condemn them. Church members who promote or pursue a “white culture” or white supremacy agenda are not in harmony with the teachings of the Church." (close quote)

It is not wise to kick against the pricks.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Silver wrote: August 15th, 2017, 8:36 pm
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/c ... e-virginia

"White supremacist attitudes are morally wrong and sinful, and we condemn them. Church members who promote or pursue a “white culture” or white supremacy agenda are not in harmony with the teachings of the Church." (close quote)

It is not wise to kick against the pricks.
Most of us agree on religion, but when it comes to politics.........whoow weeeee.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

Does anyone think this is like Obama was to "radical Islamic terrorism" as Trump is to "white supremacists"? Neither just blame them outright.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

passionflower wrote: August 15th, 2017, 6:30 pm
markharr wrote: August 15th, 2017, 2:02 pm Removing statues doesn't change history. It only makes us look like ISIS.

The vast majority of American people are not racist. This is a vocal and radical minority from both sides. Let's stop judging the entire nation on a fraction of a fraction of a percent.

You can't eliminate hateful speech without eliminating free agency and the first amendment. Stop paying attention to the racists and they will go away.
How did OK'ing the removing of this statue even happen? Who called for it? Who actually voted on it? Are the protestors on either side of this riot actually from the state this riot happened in?

Don't be fooled here. This is a war on America's heritage. Robert E Lee had more integrity and more honor than the whole lot of these anarchist protestors calling for removal of his statue. These anarchists are nothing more than a bunch of communist inspired traitors who seek to destroy any vestige of those decent honorable men who stood and fought for what they believed in throughout America's history. Here is a good article summing up the end goal of these pathetic anarchists. They are the real enemies from within. =;

https://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/ ... escalating

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

You would know about that :D
Silver wrote: August 15th, 2017, 8:36 pm It is not wise to kick against the pricks.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

I am sure that in a few years when someone suggests that the statue of Brigham Young in the Utah state capitol building be removed because he was "racist" that the Church will support the removal.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Oh, and since Joseph Smith thought that the races should be equal but separate then maybe his statues should be removed from public areas as well? Not promoting any sort of racism here but if we apply the logic of the leftist protestors then not only that but the Bible should be banned as hate speech. Look what Ezra did with those who were not 100% ethnically pure.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Mark wrote: August 15th, 2017, 9:19 pm
passionflower wrote: August 15th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Don't be fooled here. This is a war on America's heritage. Robert E Lee had more integrity and more honor than the whole lot of these anarchist protestors calling for removal of his statue. These anarchists are nothing more than a bunch of communist inspired traitors who seek to destroy any vestige of those decent honorable men who stood and fought for what they believed in throughout America's history. Here is a good article summing up the end goal of these pathetic anarchists. They are the real enemies from within. =;

https://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/ ... escalating
Thank you. There was a good spirit in this article and it had a wholesome feel to it. Does this magazine represent a political party? Which one?

People who operate from a state of victimhood as described in this article are generally admitting they are failures in life and would be easily manipulated by stronger forces, surely. That goes for both sides of this riot.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

I don't know how you folks support White Nationalists, or any hate groups. Sinful.
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — Mourners will gather in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Wednesday to honor the woman who was killed when a car rammed into a crowd of people protesting a white nationalist rally that descended into violence last weekend.

A memorial service for Heather Heyer is scheduled Wednesday morning at a downtown Charlottesville theater. Attendees were asked to wear purple, Heyer's favorite color, in her memory.

The 32-year-old was a Charlottesville resident and legal assistant whose mother described her daughter as a courageous, principled woman and firm believer in justice and equality.

Heyer was among the hundreds of protesters who had gathered Saturday in Charlottesville to decry what was believed to be the largest gathering of white supremacists in a decade — including neo-Nazis, skinheads and Ku Klux Klan members. They descended on the city for a rally prompted by the city's decision to remove a Confederate monument.

Chaos and violence erupted before the event even began, with counter-demonstrators and rally-goers clashing in the streets.
Authorities forced the crowd to disperse, and groups then began roaming through town. Counter-protesters had converged for a march along a downtown street when suddenly a Dodge Challenger barreled into them, hurling people into the air. Video shows the car reversing and hitting more people.

The Ohio man who police say was driving, 20-year-old James Alex Fields Jr., was described by a former high school teacher as an admirer of Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany. He was quickly taken into custody and has been charged with second-degree murder and other counts.

Heyer grew up in nearby Greene County and worked as a legal assistant at a law firm. Her boss, Larry Miller, said the young woman was active in the firm's bankruptcy practice and was like a family member to him.
"She's very compassionate, she's very precise, got a big heart, she wants to make sure that things are right. She cares about the people that we take care of. She's just a great person," Miller said.

Her mother, Susan Bro, said she would prefer to grieve in private but felt compelled to try to follow her daughter's example.
"I miss her so, so much, but I'm going to make her death worth something," Susan Bro told The Associated Press.
Charlottesville Police Chief Al Thomas said this week that his department is working with Heyer's family to ensure the safety of those at vigils and other memorials.

The Paramount Theater, which is hosting the vigil, said in a statement that it had made arrangements for overflow attendees to view the service through a livestream.

Also killed Saturday were two Virginia State Police troopers who were aboard a helicopter that was providing video of the event before it broke off to lend support to a motorcade for Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe. The helicopter crashed outside of Charlottesville. An investigation into the crash is ongoing.

A funeral for Trooper-Pilot Berke M.M. Bates has been set for Friday and a funeral for Lt. H. Jay Cullen, the helicopter's pilot, is scheduled for Saturday.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Church members who promote or pursue a “white culture” or white supremacy agenda are not in harmony with the teachings of the Church."
Note the two are not necessarily the same thing. Also, is it not ironic that...oh wait, here is a link describing the Polynesian Culture Center operated by the Church:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynesia ... ral_Center

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

You know, Mitt Romney has weighed in. Thoughts?

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/8 ... F807861%2F

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

Fiannan wrote: August 16th, 2017, 8:39 am You know, Mitt Romney has weighed in. Thoughts?

My first thought is regret for having voted for him. There is a racism problem in this country on both sides. One side is not innocent of it. In this particular case white supremacists initiated it, but there have been recent cases of it being initiated by the other side.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/ ... e-student/

This finger pointing isn't solving the racial divide in this country. The only thing that is going to solve it is self reflection from both sides.

I also don't believe that it's as large of a problem as we are being told it is. This incident was a small vocal minority. The vast majority of Americans are tolerant of other races.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

My first thought is regret for having voted for him.
Yeah, and I totally defended him on this forum when he was running. Good that he lost. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

They showed up with torches. End of story.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

SmallFarm wrote: August 16th, 2017, 10:41 am They showed up with torches. End of story.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Fiannan wrote: August 16th, 2017, 8:39 am You know, Mitt Romney has weighed in. Thoughts?

Mitt Romney already weighed in on this. Do you not remember a couple of years back when Mitt Romney came out in favor of taking out all public reminders of the Civil War in the south? He especially criticized the display of the confederate flag and wanted it stopped without delay, but he was after monuments, too, as I recall.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

We forgot to take down the biggest monument to slavery of all. The Democratic party itself.

Founded on support of slavery
Founded the KKK as it's militant arm to intimidate blacks into not voting
legislated Jim crow laws,
Opposed nearly every civil rights act in history
interned an entire race of people with no due process during WWII
continues to support race based policies such as affirmative action to this day
Continues to sow the seeds of racial discord at every oportunity
Continues to keep people in the new slavery of government dependence.