Let me help you escape, for I am He who has overcome the world.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Ashleyyyy
captain of 100

Re: Let me help you escape, for I am He who has overcome the world.

Post by Ashleyyyy »

Sirocco wrote: August 18th, 2017, 8:17 pm I want to be a part time Forum Odin
OK, get a magical, mighty, internet hammer

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Ashleyyyy wrote: August 18th, 2017, 8:34 pm
That's Thor :ymsmug:

Ashleyyyy
captain of 100

Post by Ashleyyyy »

Sirocco wrote: August 18th, 2017, 8:40 pm
Ashleyyyy wrote: August 18th, 2017, 8:34 pm
That's Thor :ymsmug:
OK who's Elmer Fudd? Odin? Thor?, Loki...? He has a magic helmet that also makes lightening. This is my extent of my knowledge of Norse god mythology--almost.
https://vimeo.com/115773980

Sorry, a YouTube link wouldn't work, I guess it is still copyrighted so yt won't allow it in its entirety, tho it is from the late fifties, and a classic

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

I delved a lot in the whole neo paganism as a younger man, all of which made up the backbone of some fantasy and sci fi books I have written and half finished.
I know a ton about all that stuff.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Ashleyyyy wrote: August 18th, 2017, 8:28 pm I thought there were just nine in the fellowship.
Hobbit, not Fellowship. Fellowshipping is what we do with new members. Gandalf was trying to make sure Bilbo and the 13 dwarves didn't get fed to the ogres Burt, Tom, and William.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

skmo wrote: August 19th, 2017, 3:32 am
Ashleyyyy wrote: August 18th, 2017, 8:28 pm I thought there were just nine in the fellowship.
Hobbit, not Fellowship. Fellowshipping is what we do with new members. Gandalf was trying to make sure Bilbo and the 13 dwarves didn't get fed to the ogres Burt, Tom, and William.
Whats Fellowshipping?

Ashleyyyy
captain of 100

Post by Ashleyyyy »

skmo wrote: August 19th, 2017, 3:32 am
You must have not watched the trilogy. It was NINE in the fellowship. FOUR hobbits, TWO humans, ONE dwarf, ONE elf, ONE wizard..

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Sirocco wrote: August 19th, 2017, 8:48 am Whats Fellowshipping?
That's kind of an old word. Members are encouraged to reach out to investigators and new members to help them be welcomed into the ward and the LDS community. When I grew up in Colorado and when I went on my mission to D.C. the word we used was "Fellowshipping" to make sure people felt welcomed and comfortable in the ward. I don't recall it being used a lot here in Utah, but growing up out in what used to be called "the mission field" things were often done a bit different.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Ashleyyyy wrote: August 19th, 2017, 2:43 pm You must have not watched the trilogy. It was NINE in the fellowship. FOUR hobbits, TWO humans, ONE dwarf, ONE elf, ONE wizard..
My post was a joke.

As far as Tolkien mythology, I could teach college courses on the Middle-earth Legendarium. I know the four hobbits, as well as their names, their fathers, their wives (the three who married) and some of their children. I know the humans, I know only Boromir had a sibling, Faramir. I know only Aragorn had a wife who was 2,778 years old when they were married (quite an age gap, since he was only 87 at the time.) I know that neither the dwarf nor the elf had either siblings or spouse we know of, but when Legolas the elf finally sailed west to the undying lands at the end of his time I'm Middle-earth, he likely took Gimli the dwarf with him, almost certainly the only dwarf ever allowed into Valinor. It is likely that the Lady Galadriel, one of the greatest and most powerful Noldorin Princesses gained permission for him because of his great service in the War of the Ring and his steadfast honor. (Although Galadriel never claimed the title of princess, as the daughter of Finarfin, High King of the Noldor in Valinor, she was entitled to it.) As for the wizard, well, he deserves a whole chapter to himself.

The only troll with significance in Fellowship of the Ring was the cave troll the Fellowship battled in the Chamber of Mazarbul in the dwarf kingdom of Khazad-dûm, also called Moria. Unlike in the movie, this troll was not killed but retreated after he was stabbed through the foot by Frodo with his sword Sting, a blade forged in Gondolin by the High Elves under King Turgon. Boromir swung his sword and hit the troll on the arm, but his sword failed to injure the troll, and the blade was even notched by hitting him. After Frodo pulled back his blade dripping with black drops of troll blood, Aragorn praised Frodo saying "The hobbit's bite is deep! You have a good blade, Frodo son of Drogo!"

In the book The Hobbit, as well as the first series of very poorly done Hobbit movies, Bilbo, Frodo's older cousin joins company with thirteen dwarves headed by King Thorin Oakenshield Along with Gandalf the wizard to reclaim the lost kingdom of Erebor. Early in their quest they are caught by three trolls who are arguing about the best way to cook them. Through trickery, Gandalf keeps them arguing about this until the sun came up over the horizon turning them into stone.

My point is still valid: DON'T FEED TROLLS.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

skmo wrote: August 19th, 2017, 6:01 pm
Sirocco wrote: August 19th, 2017, 8:48 am Whats Fellowshipping?
That's kind of an old word. Members are encouraged to reach out to investigators and new members to help them be welcomed into the ward and the LDS community. When I grew up in Colorado and when I went on my mission to D.C. the word we used was "Fellowshipping" to make sure people felt welcomed and comfortable in the ward. I don't recall it being used a lot here in Utah, but growing up out in what used to be called "the mission field" things were often done a bit different.
So that's what that was.

Ashleyyyy
captain of 100

Post by Ashleyyyy »

Yeah skmo, I've read the "Simarillion" and the LOTR/Hobbit books too. That was a dang good, most excellent, epic, reply.

Baysimove
captain of 100

Post by Baysimove »

Great knowledge..Thank you for sharing.