Isn't it funny?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Isn't it funny?

Post by Silver »

Much like the unrighteous dominion exercised against Japan by America's Commodore Perry, the US used military force against Korea in the 19th century. Warmongers have been in control of America since at least the War of Northern Aggression. One day all the death and destruction and suffering we have exported will come home to roost. Sackcloth and ashes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_C._Perry

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Regarding his time in Vietnam, S. Brian Willson said...

https://secure.pmpress.org/index.php?l= ... tail&p=330

Willson's expanding consciousness also uncovers injustices within his own country, including insights gained through his study and service within the U.S. criminal justice system and personal experiences addressing racial injustices. He discusses coming to terms with his identity as a Viet Nam veteran and the subsequent service he provides to others as director of a veterans outreach center in New England. He draws much inspiration from friends he encounters along the way as he finds himself continually drawn to the path leading to a simpler life that seeks to "do no harm."

Throughout his personal journey Willson struggles with the question, "Why was it so easy for me, a 'good' man, to follow orders to travel 9,000 miles from home to participate in killing people who clearly were not a threat to me or any of my fellow citizens?" He eventually comes to the realization that the "American Way of Life" is AWOL from humanity, and that the only way to recover our humanity is by changing our consciousness, one individual at a time, while striving for collective cultural changes toward "less and local."

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

We sure didn't get taught any of this stuff in school.

https://www.antiwar.com/blog/2013/03/05 ... tand-down/

Near the end of World War II, as Japan was weakened, Korean “People’s Committees” formed all over the country and Korean exiles returned from China, the US and Russia to prepare for independence and democratic rule. On September 6, 1945, these disparate forces and representatives of the people’s committees proclaimed a Korean People’s Republic (the KPR) with a progressive agenda of land reform, rent control, an eight-hour work day and minimum wage among its 27-point program.

But the KPR was prevented from becoming a reality. Instead, after World War II and without Korean representation, the US quite arbitrarily decided with Russia, China and England, to divide Korea into two nations “temporarily” as part of its decolonization. The powers agreed that Japan should lose all of its colonies and that in “due course” Korea would be free. Korea was divided on the 38th parallel. The US made sure to keep the capital, Seoul, and key ports. Essentially, the US took as much of Korea as it thought the Russians would allow. This division planted the seeds of the Korean War, causing a five-year revolution and counter-revolution that escalated into the Korean War.

Initially, the South Koreans welcomed the United States, but US Gen. John Hodge, the military governor of South Korea working under Gen. Douglas MacArthur, quickly brought Koreans who had cooperated with the Japanese during occupation into the government and shut out Koreans seeking democracy. He refused to meet with representatives of the KPR and banned the party, working instead with the right wing Korean Democratic Party – made up of landlords, land owners, business interests and pro-Japanese collaborators.

Shut out of politics, Koreans who sought an independent democratic state took to other methods and a mass uprising occurred. A strike against the railroads in September 1946 by 8,000 railway workers in Pusan quickly grew into a general strike of workers and students in all of the South’s major cities. The US military arrested strike leaders en masse. In Taegu, on Oct. 1, huge riots occurred after police smashed picket lines and fired into a crowd of student demonstrators, killing three and wounding scores. In Yongchon, on Oct. 3, 10,000 people attacked the police station and killed more than 40 police, including the county chief. Some 20 landlords and pro-Japanese officials were also killed. A few days later, the US military declared martial law to crush the uprising. They fired into large crowds of demonstrators in numerous cities and towns, killing and wounding an unknown number of people.

Syngman Rhee, an exile who had lived in the US for 40 years, was returned to Korea on MacArthur’s personal plane. He initially allied with left leaders to form a government approved of by the US. Then in 1947, he dispensed with his “left” allies by assassinating their leaders, Kim Ku and Kim Kyu-Shik. Rhee consolidated power and the US pushed for United Nations-sponsored elections in May 1948 to put a legal imprimatur on the divided Koreas. Rhee was elected at 71 years old in an election boycotted by most parties who saw it as sham. He came to power in the midst of an insurgency.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

https://www.antiwar.com/blog/2013/03/05 ... tand-down/

Of course, the North Korean government witnessed the “shock and awe” campaign of bombardments against Iraq and the killing of at least hundreds of thousands (credible research shows more than 1 million Iraqis killed, 4.5 million displaced, 1-2 million widows and 5 million orphans). They saw the brutal killing by hanging of the former US ally, now turned into an enemy, Saddam Hussein.

And, they can look to the experience of Libya. Libya was an enemy but then began to develop positive relations with the US. In 2003, Libya halted its program to build a nuclear bomb in an effort to mend its relations with the US. Then last year Libya was overthrown in a US-supported war and its leader Moammar Gadhafi was brutally killed. As Reuters reports, “‘The tragic consequences in those countries which abandoned halfway their nuclear programs… clearly prove that the DPRK (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea) was very far-sighted and just when it made the (nuclear) option,’ North Korea’s KCNA news agency said.”

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

skmo wrote: August 13th, 2017, 8:55 pm
freedomforall wrote: August 13th, 2017, 7:28 pm
skmo wrote: August 13th, 2017, 6:09 am
freedomforall wrote: August 13th, 2017, 2:05 am Only the Eskimos have cured the problem by rubbing noses instead.
What did the Eskimo man say when his wife refused to kiss him?

Oh well. It's no skin off my nose.
:))
:YMSMUG:

It's also ironic since I spent most of my career teaching in small Native villages in Alaska, and I'm half-blood Athabascan.
You may be closer to the lost Ten Tribes than imagined. I have met Indians from differing tribes. Here in Oregon we have, and notice the Athabaskan tribe near the Redwoods in the southwest corner.:

The Alsea tribe
*The Cayuse tribe
*The Chetco tribe
*The Chinook tribe
*The Clatskanie tribe
*The Coos tribe
*The Galice and Applegate tribes
*The Kalapuya tribe
*The Klamath and Modoc tribes
*The Molala tribe
*The Multnomah tribe
*The Nez Perce tribe
*The Paiute tribe
*The Shasta tribe
*The Siuslaw tribe
*The Takelma tribe
*The Tillamook tribe
*The Tolowa tribe
*The Tututni and Coquille tribes
*The Umatilla tribe
*The Umpqua tribe
*The Walla Walla tribe
*The Wasco and Wishram tribes

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

freedomforall wrote: August 14th, 2017, 1:54 am You may be closer to the lost Ten Tribes than imagined. I have met Indians from differing tribes. Here in Oregon we have, and notice the Athabaskan tribe near the Redwoods in the southwest corner.
Actually, Navajo and Apache are Athabascan languages. They're the far southern end, but Athabascan languages extend from Mexico/Texas/ NM/ and AZ to the Pacific NWC, and lots of Western Canada up into Alaska.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

skmo wrote: August 14th, 2017, 2:04 am
freedomforall wrote: August 14th, 2017, 1:54 am You may be closer to the lost Ten Tribes than imagined. I have met Indians from differing tribes. Here in Oregon we have, and notice the Athabaskan tribe near the Redwoods in the southwest corner.
Actually, Navajo and Apache are Athabascan languages. They're the far southern end, but Athabascan languages extend from Mexico/Texas/ NM/ and AZ to the Pacific NWC, and lots of Western Canada up into Alaska.
Interesting.

I post a website describing the Athabaskan language and how widespread it is. Sorry about any ignorance. I find I know just enough to know very little.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athabaskan_languages

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

freedomforall wrote: August 14th, 2017, 2:12 am I post a website describing the Athabaskan language and how widespread it is. Sorry about any ignorance. I find I know just enough to know very little.
Not at all. I love talking about languages.

Besides, Socrates said it best: The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

freedomforall wrote: August 14th, 2017, 1:54 am
skmo wrote: August 13th, 2017, 8:55 pm
freedomforall wrote: August 13th, 2017, 7:28 pm
skmo wrote: August 13th, 2017, 6:09 am

What did the Eskimo man say when his wife refused to kiss him?

Oh well. It's no skin off my nose.
:))
:YMSMUG:

It's also ironic since I spent most of my career teaching in small Native villages in Alaska, and I'm half-blood Athabascan.
You may be closer to the lost Ten Tribes than imagined. I have met Indians from differing tribes. Here in Oregon we have, and notice the Athabaskan tribe near the Redwoods in the southwest corner.:

The Alsea tribe
*The Cayuse tribe
*The Chetco tribe
*The Chinook tribe
*The Clatskanie tribe
*The Coos tribe
*The Galice and Applegate tribes
*The Kalapuya tribe
*The Klamath and Modoc tribes
*The Molala tribe
*The Multnomah tribe
*The Nez Perce tribe
*The Paiute tribe
*The Shasta tribe
*The Siuslaw tribe
*The Takelma tribe
*The Tillamook tribe
*The Tolowa tribe
*The Tututni and Coquille tribes
*The Umatilla tribe
*The Umpqua tribe
*The Walla Walla tribe
*The Wasco and Wishram tribes
Wow cool map. Thanks for this. But does it represent where they are now? Or is it where they used to be before they were pushed off the lands? I can't imagine that the whole state of Oregon is reservations? Confused...

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Silver wrote: August 11th, 2017, 8:17 pm I see. Merely pointing out how far off course the Gadiantons have steered the good ship America makes me anti-American or a hater.

If I ask, pretty please, that we take care of our own domestic issues before we make others die or starve to death, would that really be such a bad thing. It's not in my book, The Book of Mormon, which says wars of aggression are wrong. Wrong then, wrong now.

The Church hasn't been able to ship food to North Korea because of US sanctions, not because the North Koreans told the Church to stop.

What would Jesus do? He would feed them. Let's be like Jesus.
This is an interesting thought. I wondered how this would work so I looked up an article of the Church sending food to Africa, like Ethiopia and Somalia. What's interesting is it does seem to be the case that we would send food to other cultures, EXCEPT that the Lord doesn't seem to send his servants to areas where they would be killed or tortured. So in this article the church send food/aid etc to Ethiopia, Djibouti, Kenya, etc BUT NOT to Somalia because its a land of violence and pillaging.

https://www.lds.org/church/news/church- ... e?lang=eng

It's sad that they can't get aid in those areas but it's also good that the Lord values his servants and doesn't just spend their lives.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

gardener4life wrote: August 14th, 2017, 4:25 amWow cool map. Thanks for this. But does it represent where they are now? Or is it where they used to be before they were pushed off the lands? I can't imagine that the whole state of Oregon is reservations? Confused...
http://www.native-languages.org/oregon.htm

Native American peoples of Oregon

History of Native Americans

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_yl ... mp=yhs-002

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

eddie wrote: August 11th, 2017, 6:38 pm
BeNotDeceived wrote: August 11th, 2017, 6:18 pm
Fiannan wrote: August 11th, 2017, 8:21 am Obesity is also bad for the environment as it takes a lot more fuel to transport people today than if they were on average the same weight structure as people in 1970.

It also takes a lot of food production to grow those waistlines.
Another reason that fat inducing foods should be taxed to pay public transportation. :ymsmug:

Encourage better choices and make those that choose poorly pay the price of their bad choice. =p~

Food producers will also innovate, making food healthier over time as UK is beginning to see due to SSB incentives. :ymapplause:
Benotdeceived, I agree with most everything
you post, but this post is messed up. 🤔

I have a sister who got a totally different set of genetics than we brothers and sisters.( The home teacher?)

I have watched her try to be thin, it's not going to happen, so should she be punished for it?

This is a great video :!:

It will dispel many myths ;)