GA Excommunicated

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Re: GA Excommunicated

Post by freedomforall »

shadow wrote: August 14th, 2017, 11:01 am
freedomforall wrote: August 14th, 2017, 1:02 am
shadow wrote: August 13th, 2017, 11:09 pmIt's all based off your interpretation of scripture, but it's not scripture based per se. I think saying that people can't repent after mortality is akin to saying babies who aren't baptized go to hell. It's simply not true. We are judged at death, true, but it's not a final judgement. Section 138 makes this clear. The righteous spirits teach the unrighteous spirits and help them repent. Once they repent and become righteous, they then bring forth fruits of repentance, possibly meaning in part that they then teach the unrighteous. The atonement is eternal. It doesn't lose its power at the end of mortality.
Fair enough. What is your interpretation of these same exact scriptures. People all the time tell me it's my interpretation as though I am as dumb as a bag of rocks. Yet I find a good share of the time they haven't even read the scriptures, let alone enough times to really grasp their meaning. So go ahead, enlighten me, please. Also tell me what Alma chaps. 40-42 mean. While your at it, tell me what D&C 76 means with regards to the telestial kingdom. Let's see what a real scholar knows.

I'm sure that after Jesus quoted scripture to many people, they turned on him and said "that's your interpretation, so we can't accept it as truth." Sound familiar?
My interpretation is a result of reconciling those scriptures in Alma and section 76 with section 138 and others. Your interpretation means 138 is false (among a bunch of other scriptures).

58 The dead who repent will be redeemed, through obedience to the ordinances of the house of God,
59 And after they have paid the penalty of their transgressions, and are washed clean, shall receive a reward according to their works, for they are heirs of salvation.

“When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the gospel—you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world; it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the grave. -Joseph Smith

I don't think you're dumb as a bag of rocks, but I think it's you who hasn't read the scriptures let alone enough times to really grasp their meaning.
See, it's great to have scholars among us. What would we do without you guys?

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

Elizabeth wrote: August 14th, 2017, 6:51 am Where is this written?
Spaced_Out wrote: August 14th, 2017, 5:06 am
Elizabeth wrote: August 13th, 2017, 8:47 pm
Spaced_Out wrote: August 13th, 2017, 8:28 pm God is in control and a righteous person is never taken form the earth before his/her time.
Unnatural deaths ... from murder, accidents, war, disease etc take the person from the earth before their time.
I disagree with that, the end is known before a person is sent to the earth.
All over the scriptures and it is the very principle and basics of faith that if you pray for guidance the heavens/HG will give you correct path to follow as the future is known, also refer to your patriarchal blessing..

Abraham 2:8
8 My name is Jehovah, and I know the end from the beginning; therefore my hand shall be over thee.

Isaiah 46:10
10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

No Spaced_Out, I do not accept your interpretation or opinion on this.
This remains my belief: Unnatural deaths ... from murder, accidents, war, disease etc take the person from the earth before their time.
Spaced_Out wrote: August 15th, 2017, 12:42 am
Unnatural deaths ... from murder, accidents, war, disease etc take the person from the earth before their time.
All over the scriptures and it is the very principle and basics of faith that if you pray for guidance the heavens/HG will give you correct path to follow as the future is known, also refer to your patriarchal blessing..

8 My name is Jehovah, and I know the end from the beginning; therefore my hand shall be over thee.

10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

Elizabeth wrote: August 15th, 2017, 3:02 am No Spaced_Out, I do not accept your interpretation or opinion on this.
This remains my belief: Unnatural deaths ... from murder, accidents, war, disease etc take the person from the earth before their time.

I think there is an unresolved personal issue here

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

And so none of us really have agency at all. Everything is predetermined for us in advance and we are, in effect, mindlessly going through a preset life. Sorry I don’t buy it.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

Spaced_Out wrote: August 15th, 2017, 7:18 am
Elizabeth wrote: August 15th, 2017, 3:02 am No Spaced_Out, I do not accept your interpretation or opinion on this.

I think there is an unresolved personal issue here
Perhaps not. Please Consider:
Ecclesiastes 7:15-18

15 All things have I seen in the days of my vanity: there is a just man that perisheth in his righteousness, and there is a wicked man that prolongeth his life in his wickedness.

16 Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself?

17 Be not over much wicked, neither be thou foolish: why shouldest thou die before thy time?

18 It is good that thou shouldest take hold of this; yea, also from this withdraw not thine hand: for he that feareth God shall come forth of them all.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

kittycat51 wrote: August 14th, 2017, 9:46 am
Elizabeth wrote: August 13th, 2017, 6:24 pm My opinion is this thread should be deleted.
I concur. As the one who began this thread I did not mean for it to cause such a ruckus. I wanted to simply inform people of what happened. I never dreamed it would morph into what it has. I have thought several times over the past couple of days to ask BrianM to delete it. I am definitely going to now.

All please forgive me.
If you hadn't posted on it, someone else surely would have, it's news. I don't think it should be deleted, skmo shared some good thoughts and others did as well. This is the freedom forum, remember? We shouldn't engage in hand wringing because people shared their thoughts on this and frankly, this did not get out of hand, it was a civilized discussion IMO.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

AI2.0 wrote: August 15th, 2017, 11:33 am
kittycat51 wrote: August 14th, 2017, 9:46 am
Elizabeth wrote: August 13th, 2017, 6:24 pm My opinion is this thread should be deleted.
I concur. As the one who began this thread I did not mean for it to cause such a ruckus. I wanted to simply inform people of what happened. I never dreamed it would morph into what it has. I have thought several times over the past couple of days to ask BrianM to delete it. I am definitely going to now.

All please forgive me.
If you hadn't posted on it, someone else surely would have, it's news. I don't think it should be deleted, skmo shared some good thoughts and others did as well. This is the freedom forum, remember? We shouldn't engage in hand wringing because people shared their thoughts on this and frankly, this did not get out of hand, it was a civilized discussion IMO.
Ha-ha it's here to stay. I did message BrianM and he denied my request. I'm okay with people disagreeing, it's part of life. I just don't like people being nasty when they disagree. That's not Christ like and against everything most of us profess.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

gkearney wrote: August 15th, 2017, 7:31 am And so none of us really have agency at all. Everything is predetermined for us in advance and we are, in effect, mindlessly going through a preset life. Sorry I don’t buy it.
No it is a question like a perfect father He as knowledge of how we will react to any situation, and what the end results well be. But it is for our learning and development. What would of happened of Jesus had failed in the atonement - it would of made the entire plan invalid, likewise with the fall of Adam.

I think if was Brigham Young who explained like this, at university a science student is given an experiment to do. The professor knows perfectly the results, but the student has to learn it for himself. The same experiment is repeated by every year by the new students.
There is much more to be said but don’t have time to give a full answer.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

brlenox wrote: August 13th, 2017, 12:22 pm
Thinker wrote: August 13th, 2017, 11:25 amReally? Seriously, you think that becoming disillusioned is worse than murder (or other crimes) or adultery??
Do you really believe that breaking Elder James Hamula's right to confidentiality and telling everyone that he didn't become disillusioned by apostacy is really helpful to him & his family rather than the church? So, to you, it's better for Elder Hamula & his family for people to wonder about which crime or sin he committed rather than consider the possibility of him being disillusioned?

Where in the scriptures does it state that disillusionment is a worse crime than murder, so bad that any possible gossip must be proactively prevented??
And while we're at it, considering this is the church of Jesus Christ, when did Jesus ex-communicate anyone?
So really what is your impetus for these things?
Excellent question, Brlenox. It would be good if we all regularly asked ourselves that.
Although online I may be labelled and come across as a thinker, I am also very empathic. I cannot help but imagine myself in others shoes. (This is one of the reasons I cannot stand violent movies. It's as if I'm going through it and feels traumatic more than entertaining.) I imagine if I were James Hamula - and I think I'd feel wronged by how this was handled - how my privacy was breached not for me, but to benefit the church.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Spaced_Out wrote: August 13th, 2017, 4:23 pm
Thinker wrote: August 13th, 2017, 11:25 am Also, it is completely appropriate to this discussion (not red herring) to ask why a church of Jesus Christ is going against what Jesus repeatedly taught. It wasn't just that he never excommunicated anyone, but he also was criticized for hanging out with "sinners." In other words, instead of pushing them away, breaking "sinners" off from him, he drew them closer.
Hating the sin and loving the sinner is two different things. One goes amongst the sinners to call them to repentance - Jesus never condoned or accepted sin.
Those who have the greater light and knowledge receive the greater punishment, also those put in greater position of responsibility get greater punishment.

Yes he did throw sinners out of the temple after making a whip. Again you make conclusions that are not there and straw man arguments. The cursing of the fig tree is an example of what he does to hypocrits who preach his gospel but don't keep the law.
On one hand, I can see reason for excommunication - especially if it is an organization of men, who require standards to live by and do not love purely as Jesus and God do. If the main goal is to maintain a church - an organization of people - it makes complete sense to do ALL that is necessary to fulfill that goal, even if it breaks Jesus's highest commandments. However, if the main goal is a higher, more broad and loving goal that Jesus suggested, it makes sense that all of us sinners would not have a right to call another to repentance or kick them out because their sins are worse than ours.

To be clear, I tend to be a bit punitive too - which I'm working on somewhat. Yet, I have a very strong testimony that love is not just kissing up, hippy love as you may call it. I believe love is striving for what is best - through trial & error. Sometimes it's tough love - it may hurt temporarily but in the end it all works out. Some may claim that ex-communicating someone is tough love - but to me it's essentially the hypocrisy that you seem to hate so much. It's wrong in other ways besides sinners telling another sinner they sinned too much to belong. It's denying the plan of God that "there must needs be opposition in all things." And it's also rejecting and breaking the greatest commandments (to love) upon "which hang all the law and the prophets."

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

brianj wrote: August 13th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Thinker wrote: August 13th, 2017, 9:57 am Do you really believe that breaking Elder James Hamula's right to confidentiality and telling everyone that he didn't become disillusioned by apostacy is really helpful to him & his family rather than the church? So, to you, it's better for Elder Hamula & his family for people to wonder about which crime or sin he committed rather than consider the possibility of him being disillusioned?
Do any of you have any real evidence that Brother Hamula's right to confidentiality was violated?
Yes, it's plainly obvious.
In the church handbook it states, "Those who sit on the council are to keep everything strictly confidential...Decisions to disfellowship or excommunicate are generally not announced publicly unless the transgression is widely known."
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1990/09/a-ch ... s?lang=eng
And then we have people representing the church, telling us about the private, confidential conclusions from the council - that he was not excommunicated for disillusionment or apostasy.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

skmo wrote: August 14th, 2017, 1:12 am
Thinker wrote: August 13th, 2017, 9:57 amDo you really believe that breaking Elder James Hamula's right to confidentiality and telling everyone that he didn't become disillusioned by apostacy is really helpful to him & his family rather than the church?
We have no idea what this brother's wishes were. I find it entirely likely he wanted it pointed out the excommunication was not for apostasy so that members for which he formerly had stewardship would know he did not leave because he no longer had a testimony in the church and its leaders. I believe I would want that pointed out were I in his place, so as to not cause others to fall into apostasy from what happened to him.
1) It doesn't matter what he wants - the church has made that obvious. They have rules based on running a church, not on the desires of individual members. According to their own rules, excommunications are to be kept private. The only exception is when he's done something wrong that is widely known, which does not apply in this case. So they broke their own rules, stating that it was for his benefit, but in reality, they are stirring up more imaginings of what he did - which hurts his reputation in favor of attempting to maintain the reputation of the church.
2) If he wanted the public to know something, he could (& likely would) have stated it, or had a family or friend representative state it for him - through various media sources.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

Thinker wrote: August 19th, 2017, 11:25 am
brlenox wrote: August 13th, 2017, 12:22 pm
Thinker wrote: August 13th, 2017, 11:25 amReally? Seriously, you think that becoming disillusioned is worse than murder (or other crimes) or adultery??
Do you really believe that breaking Elder James Hamula's right to confidentiality and telling everyone that he didn't become disillusioned by apostacy is really helpful to him & his family rather than the church? So, to you, it's better for Elder Hamula & his family for people to wonder about which crime or sin he committed rather than consider the possibility of him being disillusioned?

Where in the scriptures does it state that disillusionment is a worse crime than murder, so bad that any possible gossip must be proactively prevented??
And while we're at it, considering this is the church of Jesus Christ, when did Jesus ex-communicate anyone?
So really what is your impetus for these things?
Excellent question, Brlenox. It would be good if we all regularly asked ourselves that.
Although online I may be labelled and come across as a thinker, I am also very empathic. I cannot help but imagine myself in others shoes. (This is one of the reasons I cannot stand violent movies. It's as if I'm going through it and feels traumatic more than entertaining.) I imagine if I were James Hamula - and I think I'd feel wronged by how this was handled - how my privacy was breached not for me, but to benefit the church.
You completely ignored the context of where I asked you that question. You thus created a response of absolutely no relevance.

I do ask myself that question constantly. A thinker? Hmmm. Creating Gods in their own image and self affirming truth.

Best of Luck

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Thinker wrote: August 19th, 2017, 11:46 am 1) It doesn't matter what he wants
I'm certainly glad the Stake President didn't take that attitude with me. It was clear from his actions and treatment of me, my excommunication was all about helping me. I've little doubt this was for him, also. I do not believe the church would have made a statement like this without asking his for his permission to do so first.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Thinker wrote: August 19th, 2017, 11:42 am
brianj wrote: August 13th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Thinker wrote: August 13th, 2017, 9:57 am Do you really believe that breaking Elder James Hamula's right to confidentiality and telling everyone that he didn't become disillusioned by apostacy is really helpful to him & his family rather than the church? So, to you, it's better for Elder Hamula & his family for people to wonder about which crime or sin he committed rather than consider the possibility of him being disillusioned?
Do any of you have any real evidence that Brother Hamula's right to confidentiality was violated?
Yes, it's plainly obvious.
In the church handbook it states, "Those who sit on the council are to keep everything strictly confidential...Decisions to disfellowship or excommunicate are generally not announced publicly unless the transgression is widely known."
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1990/09/a-ch ... s?lang=eng
And then we have people representing the church, telling us about the private, confidential conclusions from the council - that he was not excommunicated for disillusionment or apostasy.
The handbook says they are not GENERALLY announced publicly UNLESS the transgression is widely known. The transgression is not widely known but Elder Hamula held a prominent position and that means it is not going to be handled the normal way. I don't know why you think it benefits the church, benefiting the church would have been not making this public at all, but that's not possible.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Thinker wrote: August 19th, 2017, 11:46 am
skmo wrote: August 14th, 2017, 1:12 am
Thinker wrote: August 13th, 2017, 9:57 amDo you really believe that breaking Elder James Hamula's right to confidentiality and telling everyone that he didn't become disillusioned by apostacy is really helpful to him & his family rather than the church?
We have no idea what this brother's wishes were. I find it entirely likely he wanted it pointed out the excommunication was not for apostasy so that members for which he formerly had stewardship would know he did not leave because he no longer had a testimony in the church and its leaders. I believe I would want that pointed out were I in his place, so as to not cause others to fall into apostasy from what happened to him.
1) It doesn't matter what he wants - the church has made that obvious. They have rules based on running a church, not on the desires of individual members. According to their own rules, excommunications are to be kept private. The only exception is when he's done something wrong that is widely known, which does not apply in this case. So they broke their own rules, stating that it was for his benefit, but in reality, they are stirring up more imaginings of what he did - which hurts his reputation in favor of attempting to maintain the reputation of the church.
2) If he wanted the public to know something, he could (& likely would) have stated it, or had a family or friend representative state it for him - through various media sources.
It feels like you are making a lot of assumptions about this and taking the position that Elder Hamula was wronged in some way. Are you certain that Elder Hamula was not consulted in what the church was going to say publicly on this subject? Do you have any idea what he did that caused his excommunication? I'm not sure, but I know that they used to announce excommunications in Priesthood exercises, do they do that now? The church didn't 'break their own rules' as you claim, because the 'rules' are not as you state, the handbook guidelines were not violated. Is there a reason you are taking the church to task on this and taking offense for something that has nothing to do with you?

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Thinker wrote: August 19th, 2017, 11:46 am It doesn't matter what he wants - the church has made that obvious.
I have to agree with AI2.0. You seem determined to maintain the church wronged him in this. Being personally involved in the excommunication myself, I know first hand what they're about, I don't need to rely on the speculations of outsiders with an agenda against the church. PLEASE NOTE - I am not accusing you of this, but it is a common tactic I see among people who oppose the gospel. As this person heled a position of high authority in the church his excommunication is going to be a matter which almost certainly will impact a lot of people, and in situations like those it is important to make sure maliciousness is headed off.

As I said, I do not believe the3 church would have made a statement like this without his knowledge and approval.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Maybe we have people claiming to be following Christ, claiming to be righteous, claiming to be of high moral standard, yet are only a wolf wearing sheeps clothing.

Luke 11:39
39 And the Lord said unto him, Now do ye Pharisees make clean the outside of the cup and the platter; but your inward part is full of ravening and wickedness.

In other words, why are so many people willing to find whatever dirt they can find on another and are quick to spread gossip, all the while claiming to follow the example of Christ?

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

Thinker wrote: August 19th, 2017, 11:35 am On one hand, I can see reason for excommunication - especially if it is an organization of men, who require standards to live by and do not love purely as Jesus and God do. If the main goal is to maintain a church - an organization of people - it makes complete sense to do ALL that is necessary to fulfill that goal, even if it breaks Jesus's highest commandments. However, if the main goal is a higher, more broad and loving goal that Jesus suggested, it makes sense that all of us sinners would not have a right to call another to repentance or kick them out because their sins are worse than ours.

To be clear, I tend to be a bit punitive too - which I'm working on somewhat. Yet, I have a very strong testimony that love is not just kissing up, hippy love as you may call it. I believe love is striving for what is best - through trial & error. Sometimes it's tough love - it may hurt temporarily but in the end it all works out. Some may claim that ex-communicating someone is tough love - but to me it's essentially the hypocrisy that you seem to hate so much. It's wrong in other ways besides sinners telling another sinner they sinned too much to belong. It's denying the plan of God that "there must needs be opposition in all things." And it's also rejecting and breaking the greatest commandments (to love) upon "which hang all the law and the prophets."
You worship or imagine a different God to whom I do.
As stated many times throwing people out is what God does.
Mormon 9:4 Behold, I say unto you that ye would be more miserable to dwell with a holy and just God, under a consciousness of your filthiness before him, than ye would to dwell with the damned souls in hell.
There is a big disconnect concerning your understanding of the love of God and how things work, and what is real love..

What about 1/3 of the host of heaven kicked out from the presence of God never to get a body but be subject to Satan for all eternity.
The entire worlds population destroyed except for 8 people in the flood.
The Jaradites all wiped out except one person
The scriptures are very plain that majority of people will end up in the telestrial world as they will be as numerous as the start in the heavens.
50% of temple recommend holders will not make it to the celestial kingdom - that is the official interpretation of the 5 wise and 5 foolish virgins
Many are called but few are chosen
Lehi vision of the tree of God, very few people eat the fruit (love of God) - but the house without foundations is filled to capacity and most go straight there
The parable of the sower very few seed fall in fertile ground and progress to maturity

Yes the LDS church is an organisation of men governed and directed by Jesus Christ. There are very many scriptures in the Book of Mormon and D&C that state the law concerning excommunication.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

freedomforall wrote: August 19th, 2017, 8:30 pm Maybe we have people claiming to be following Christ, claiming to be righteous, claiming to be of high moral standard, yet are only a wolf wearing sheeps clothing.

39 And the Lord said unto him, Now do ye Pharisees make clean the outside of the cup and the platter; but your inward part is full of ravening and wickedness.

In other words, why are so many people willing to find whatever dirt they can find on another and are quick to spread gossip, all the while claiming to follow the example of Christ?
The scriptures plainly teach we have to clean the inward vessel first , ie. not allow wolves in the church that set bad examples and destroy the flock of God. It is like having a temple recommend, there are worthiness standards else you might as well open the temple to all people and turn the temples into amusement parks.
Standards also apply to keeping membership in the church. If you don't live a celestial law there is no benefit in being a member of the church.
Last edited by Spaced_Out on August 19th, 2017, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Spaced_Out wrote: August 19th, 2017, 8:53 pm
freedomforall wrote: August 19th, 2017, 8:30 pm Maybe we have people claiming to be following Christ, claiming to be righteous, claiming to be of high moral standard, yet are only a wolf wearing sheeps clothing.

The scriptures plainly teach we have to clean the inward vessel first , ie. not allow wolfs in the church that set bad examples and destroy the flock of God. It is like having a temple recommend, there are worthiness standards else you might as well open the temple to all people and turn the temples into amusement parks.
Standards also apply to keeping membership in the church. If you don't live a celestial law there is no benefit in being a member of the church.
Some here claim I don't understand scripture, so I implore someone to give us their interpretation of these verses. Then perhaps I can give mine.

29 Ye who are quickened by a portion of the celestial glory shall then receive of the same, even a fulness.

30 And they who are quickened by a portion of the terrestrial glory shall then receive of the same, even a fulness.

31 And also they who are quickened by a portion of the telestial glory shall then receive of the same, even a fulness.

32 And they who remain shall also be quickened; nevertheless, they shall return again to their own place, to enjoy that which they are willing to receive, because they were not willing to enjoy that which they might have received.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Spaced_Out wrote: August 19th, 2017, 8:48 pm
Thinker wrote: August 19th, 2017, 11:35 am On one hand, I can see reason for excommunication - especially if it is an organization of men, who require standards to live by and do not love purely as Jesus and God do. If the main goal is to maintain a church - an organization of people - it makes complete sense to do ALL that is necessary to fulfill that goal, even if it breaks Jesus's highest commandments. However, if the main goal is a higher, more broad and loving goal that Jesus suggested, it makes sense that all of us sinners would not have a right to call another to repentance or kick them out because their sins are worse than ours.

You worship or imagine a different God to whom I do.
As stated many times throwing people out is what God does.
Mormon 9:4 Behold, I say unto you that ye would be more miserable to dwell with a holy and just God, under a consciousness of your filthiness before him, than ye would to dwell with the damned souls in hell.
There is a big disconnect concerning your understanding of the love of God and how things work, and what is real love..

What about 1/3 of the host of heaven kicked out from the presence of God never to get a body but be subject to Satan for all eternity.
The entire worlds population destroyed except for 8 people in the flood.
The Jaradites all wiped out except one person
The scriptures are very plain that majority of people will end up in the telestrial world as they will be as numerous as the start in the heavens. (sands upon the seashore ?)
50% of temple recommend holders will not make it to the celestial kingdom - that is the official interpretation of the 5 wise and 5 foolish virgins
Many are called but few are chosen
Lehi vision of the tree of God (life ?), very few people eat the fruit (love of God) - but the house without foundations is filled to capacity and most go straight there
The parable of the sower very few seed fall in fertile ground and progress to maturity

Yes the LDS church is an organisation of men governed and directed by Jesus Christ. There are very many scriptures in the Book of Mormon and D&C that state the law concerning excommunication.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

freedomforall wrote: August 19th, 2017, 11:10 pm Lehi vision of the tree of God (life ?),
Ooops tree of (life) %%- , need to go to primary, I am a convert so forget what the trees are called. It is starting to show my scripture reading of late has not been very good. I will try to do better next time - and not read so many financial articles.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Thinker wrote: August 19th, 2017, 11:35 am On one hand, I can see reason for excommunication - especially if it is an organization of men, who require standards to live by and do not love purely as Jesus and God do.
It's really sad you do not understand excommunication. It's even more sad you do not understand the full nature of God the Father or His Son.
If the main goal is to maintain a church - an organization of people - it makes complete sense to do ALL that is necessary to fulfill that goal, even if it breaks Jesus's highest commandments. However, if the main goal is a higher, more broad and loving goal that Jesus suggested, it makes sense that all of us sinners would not have a right to call another to repentance or kick them out because their sins are worse than ours.
Since we humans are organizations of people, God, who is a God of order, uses a church, an organization to help prepare the people in these, the last days. We are in the final times before Christ's Second Coming of which He spoke. As such, the Fullness of the Gospel has been again instituted among the people of the earth. Since God is not physically here among us, He established His church to bring His Word to all the people on earth. Ordinances are performed to help people take upon themselves covenants wherein we promise to obey God and He promises to give us His fullest blessings and help us along the way. To perform these ordinances we need His organization to administer them God is not just "Throw blessings against the wall and see what sticks" kind of being. We know from all we've read, all we learn of science, all we can observe that He is a God of order. His church helps us achieve this.
Some may claim that ex-communicating someone is tough love - but to me it's essentially the hypocrisy that you seem to hate so much.
Again, I'm sorry you cannot understand excommunication. You, like so many others, see it as a punishment. It is not. It is a blessing. I broke sacred covenants, things which I promised not to do. I needed to be able to truly find a broken heart and a contrite spirit, to be able to cleanse the transgression. In order to do this, I had to be removed from full fellowship, to come back through a process to cleanse myself through the re-birth of baptism. It is only a punishment in the way that a prideful person would try to hide living in their sin.