GA Excommunicated

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
kittycat51
captain of 1,000

GA Excommunicated

Post by kittycat51 »

So sad :(

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45338970&nid=1 ... s-j-hamula

SALT LAKE CITY — The First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the LDS Church on Tuesday excommunicated a member of the Quorum of the Seventy who had been serving as the executive director of the church’s Correlation Department.

"This morning, James J. Hamula was released as a General Authority Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, following church disciplinary action by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles," said Eric Hawkins, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Hamula had been a general authority and member of the Seventy for nine years, since his call in April 2008. He previously had served as the church’s Pacific Area president and was the assistant executive director of the Church History Department from 2014 to 2016.

Hamula is the first LDS general authority excommunicated since George P. Lee 28 years ago. Lee was excommunicated Sept. 1, 1989, for what church leaders said was "apostasy and other conduct unbecoming a member of the church" following an hourlong meeting with President Ezra Taft Benson and his counselors, and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Lee's excommunication had been the first in 46 years.

Such action with a church leader is extremely rare, then, but when necessary, a disciplinary council for a senior LDS leader is comprised of members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve. Church leaders have said they hold the faith's most senior leaders to the same standards of conduct as all other members, if not more so.

The church confirmed that this action was not taken because of disillusionment or apostasy.

"All church discipline is carried out in complete confidence," according to an article on the church's official Mormon Newsroom website. "Church leaders have a solemn responsibility to keep confidential all information they receive in confessions and interviews. To protect that confidence, the church will not discuss the proceedings of a disciplinary council."

"In rare cases," the article noted, "the decision of a disciplinary council may be shared publicly to prevent others from being harmed through misinformation."

Elder M. Russell Ballard, a senior member of the Quorum of the Twelve, has described the three purposes of church councils.

"Members sometimes ask why church disciplinary councils are held," he said in a 1990 article in the Ensign, the church's official magazine. "The purpose is threefold: to save the soul of the transgressor, to protect the innocent, and to safeguard the Church’s purity, integrity, and good name."

He added that church disciplinary action is not intended to be the end of the process but the beginning of an opportunity to return to full fellowship and to the full blessings of the church.

"The desired result is that the person will make whatever changes are necessary to return fully and completely to be able to receive the marvelous blessings of the church," he said.

This story will be updated.

setyourselffree
captain of 1,000

Re: GA Excommunicated

Post by setyourselffree »

This is a tender mercy of the Lord. If you are not following the covenants then it's time to get out from underneath them so no further condemnation comes upon that person.

ShockHouse
captain of 100

Post by ShockHouse »

It would be so hard being in his situation where the entire church sees this. I pray whatever was done he may repent and be welcomed back fully.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Not disillusionment or apostasy. Adultery?

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

:(

SempiternalHarbinger
captain of 1,000

Post by SempiternalHarbinger »

At least we know it's not for "apostasy". Can you imagine the reaction if the executive director of the correlation department was exed? It's too bad that beast hasn't been exed. Loooong overdue.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Hopefully he can truly repent and become a better person before the Cleansing of America.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

SempiternalHarbinger wrote: August 8th, 2017, 3:11 pm At least we know it's not for "apostasy". Can you imagine the reaction if the executive director of the correlation department was exed? It's too bad that beast hasn't been exed. Loooong overdue.
:-? He was the executive director of the correlation department.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

He was my wife's Bishop and SP before we met

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Probably pride related issue

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Why was he disciplined by the FP and Q12?
Surely the disciplinary council should have been conducted by his Stake Presidency and Stake High Council.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Good point, Robin Hood. They did say they treated leaders like regular members.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

Robin Hood wrote: August 8th, 2017, 4:28 pm Why was he disciplined by the FP and Q12?
Surely the disciplinary council should have been conducted by his Stake Presidency and Stake High Council.
If the person in question is "higher ranking", then peers or others of a higher rank become the disciplinary counsel. It's considered normal for the First Presidency and Quorom of the 12 to be the disciplinarians.

https://www.lds.org/church/news/general ... n?lang=eng

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Sad.

What does the church correlation department do?

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Please pray for his wife. The pain and public humiliation she is experiencing right now must be almost unbearable for a righteous daughter of our Heavenly Father to have to endure, especially at her age and station in life, all because of something her husband has done.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

brianj wrote: August 8th, 2017, 9:18 pm Sad.

What does the church correlation department do?
There's a description in this article. http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?i ... type=CMSID

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

kittycat51 wrote: August 8th, 2017, 1:22 pm The church confirmed that this action was not taken because of disillusionment or apostasy.
Sounds like they might have found one of the people leaking church documents. Either that or adultery. About the only 2 things I can think of that would warrant excommunication and not be disillusionment or apostasy.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Sunain wrote: August 8th, 2017, 10:22 pm
kittycat51 wrote: August 8th, 2017, 1:22 pm The church confirmed that this action was not taken because of disillusionment or apostasy.
Sounds like they might have found one of the people leaking church documents. Either that or adultery. About the only 2 things I can think of that would warrant excommunication and not be disillusionment or apostasy.
Wouldn't leaking documents be considered apostasy?

That said, I think you might be on to something.

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

Whispered gossip is like a delicious first course:
    it is devoured with pleasure and penetrates deeply.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

Sunain wrote: August 8th, 2017, 10:22 pm
Steeling church funds!!, but most likely a chastity issue - lots of chastity issues with pacific islanders (Samoa etc) have plenty of then in Australia. That is my racist bigoted rant for the day.
, but guessing is never a good thing.

Irrelevant
captain of 100

Post by Irrelevant »

Why speculate?

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

Irrelevant wrote: August 9th, 2017, 5:20 am Why speculate?
Because it is irreverent and irrelevant. There are many anit LDS on the forum looking for ammunition against the church. If the issue is a personal worthiness then not a reflection on the Church But if from a doctrinal or issue on how the Church is governed then all the apostates come out of the woodwork. For some reason first GA in nearly 3 decades will gender some discussion. That is why the church even issued a statement about it not having to do with apostasy as many will use it to stir trouble.

paid2play
captain of 10

Post by paid2play »

its funny how almost everyone jumps to the conclusion that this man sinned and needs to repent, no one has heard what he did yet most jump to assumptions. (I know i will get ridiculed for say this) but do you think its possible the excommunication was done in error? Not a single person took that into consideration nor i doubt many will. There have been some men of God that has been excommunicated. Maybe we should take our own religious belief into accord here and judge not that ye be not judge. without knowing him(or anyone really) should we not give them the benefit of the doubt? just my 2¢

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

paid2play wrote: August 9th, 2017, 9:13 am its funny how almost everyone jumps to the conclusion that this man sinned and needs to repent, no one has heard what he did yet most jump to assumptions. (I know i will get ridiculed for say this) but do you think its possible the excommunication was done in error? Not a single person took that into consideration nor i doubt many will. There have been some men of God that has been excommunicated. Maybe we should take our own religious belief into accord here and judge not that ye be not judge. without knowing him(or anyone really) should we not give them the benefit of the doubt? just my 2¢
Excommunication involves a serious sin or apostasy. Even if a person is repentant, excommunication can still happen due to the seriousness related to the calling of the individual. A GA is a high calling and the sin/issue impacts the process.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

"...carried out in complete confidence..."

We don't share why this happened because privacy...but let us tell you why it didn't happen, because that's ok.