Marijuana is bad for society.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Marijuana is bad for society.

Post by buffalo_girl »

Did anyone read James E. Talmage's 1884 Journal notes linked above on his college 'experiments' with hashish?

These particular entries were discovered by a fellow BYU student-worker in the Harold B Lee Library Archives in 1978. One of the more cynical student workers observed, "It's good to know there's more than one way to get a vision!"

Is it possible this 'concern' is being taken way too seriously?

aspietroll
captain of 50

Post by aspietroll »

.According to the Colorado Department of Public Safety, arrests in Colorado of black and Latino youth for marijuana possession have increased 58% and 29% respectively after legalization. This means that Black and Latino youth are being arrested more for marijuana possession after it became legal.
That statistic isn't conclusive.

Under what conditions are these people being arrested for possession?

Are they arrested because it's on their person in a public place they shouldn't have it? Can one be arrested for traveling with an open container of cannabis the way you're arrested for having an open bottle of liquor in a vehicle in some states.

More importantly, were they charged with FEDERAL charges? Officers, state police and sheriffs will ignore the state law to execute a Federal law instead, which is improper law enforcement practice. Ignoring the states rights. And some police may decide to target weed smokers after decriminalization because more people are doing it and the revenue that could come from the issuing of tickets is too tempting to resist. Also, civil asset forfeiture, an outright abuse of the bill of rights, is used to enrich corrupt officers and politicians.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

What is bad for society is government stepping outside of it's constitutional restraints to regulate what I take into my body. I don't use recreational drugs including Marijuana but if the government can regulate Marijuana because "it's bad for me" they can regulate anything else they determine to be bad for me which at some point might include Religion.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Someday marijuana will be legal in Utah. Almost every Mormon I know who is conservative supports that position.

aspietroll
captain of 50

Post by aspietroll »

Fiannan wrote: August 16th, 2017, 8:26 am Someday marijuana will be legal in Utah. Almost every Mormon I know who is conservative supports that position.
Is states rights a ground for that?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

aspietroll wrote: August 16th, 2017, 10:27 am
Fiannan wrote: August 16th, 2017, 8:26 am Someday marijuana will be legal in Utah. Almost every Mormon I know who is conservative supports that position.
That and basic morality. You cannot justify ruining people's lives if caught with marijuana.

aspietroll
captain of 50

Post by aspietroll »

Fiannan wrote: August 16th, 2017, 10:56 am
aspietroll wrote: August 16th, 2017, 10:27 am
That and basic morality. You cannot justify ruining people's lives if caught with marijuana.
That is a violation of the 8th amendment.

Not that it means anything anymore anyway. It says "excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed..." but how is a strict adherence to this rule able to exist when a central bank issues unlimited fiat currency and devalues the money every year.

The definition of excessive becomes flexible and individuals in Federal court or in front of Federal commissions can be facing fines in excess of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The stigma of a criminal record and probationary spy tactics is a violation of the "cruel and unusual" clause of the 8th and the 4th amendment.

You can argue that someone doesn't have a right to abuse a destructive drug, but they have a right to not have their life ruined by the law applying so called justice.