Marijuana is bad for society.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Marijuana is bad for society.

Post by buffalo_girl »

So if 'heating' this herb releases the negative effects, then what's the problem with the unaltered, concentrated portions of the plant being used for medical treatment?

http://signaturebookslibrary.org/essent ... almage-03/
Chapter 3

“The Effects of Narcotics upon the System”

(Entries from the Journal of James E. Talmage, while at Johns Hopkins University, 1884,
Archives and Manuscripts, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah)

March 22—This being Saturday, was the day I selected to study practically the effects of Hashish. This evening, after work and all was over, I took at 3 doses each an hour after the preceding, 5 grains solid extract Cannabis Indica. At this writing—midnight—5 hours since last dose, I have experienced no effect whatever. The effect is said to be widely different in different people.

[p.11]March 23—Sunday. Spent quietly. Have had no result to be noted of my physiological experiment yesterday.

I do not feel inclined to try again till the end of next week—as the realization of the effects of the drug are not desirable on working days.

April 5—This evening—first opportunity which has presented itself—I attempted my experiment on the effects of Hashish as referred to March 22 (page 26). Took in all 15 grains. No effects.

April 6. Sunday … Continued my experiment by taking 20 grains Cannabis Indica and the effect was felt in a not very agreeable way. My fellow experimenters & I concluded I should take no larger dose—but perhaps vary the trial in the future…

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Ezra wrote: August 9th, 2017, 1:15 pmIt's only wrongful to use it incorrectly.
That would be the "wrongful" part of wrongful. Is there a correct way to use it wrongfully? :D

I'm not a marijuana activist. However, I'm a BIG supporter of getting the friggin' government out of our lives where it doesn't belong. The improper use of marijuana has been magnified WAY out of proportion by people like William Randolph Hearst who did so strictly for reasons of money. We basically fought a war in this country to regain the use of alcohol, a product whose use has little beneficial value beyond the fact that people wanted it. Marijuana has shown a significant number of health benefits, but still it remains completely illegal at the federal level and in many places (like Utah) altogether.

Crime is one of the biggest problems we face in this country. Since over half of the people in U.S. prisons are there for charges related to marijuana, we're faced with the fact that legalizing marijuana would cut prison costs in this country somewhere near 50%. All of that money going to support Columbian and Mexican drug lords could be spent to American (specifically mostly U.S.) business and to tax money for our financially drowning government.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Crime is one of the biggest problems we face in this country. Since over half of the people in U.S. prisons are there for charges related to marijuana, we're faced with the fact that legalizing marijuana would cut prison costs in this country somewhere near 50%.

Since profit is the fundamental reason for the existence of corporations, and since nearly all of our prisons are owned and supplied by corporate entities - WHAT would be the motivation for emptying them of inmates who are essentially nonviolent?

A North Dakota State prison psychiatrist is a member of the LDS Church here in Bismarck. She told me two years ago that a high percentage (30-40%) of prison inmates are mentally ill.

Remove the marijuana 'offenders' and the mentally ill, and profit & stock values will plummet.

WHO exactly should BE in prison?

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

davedan wrote: August 10th, 2017, 1:22 am http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/ar ... act/396766

Results. —Heavy users displayed significantly greater impairment than light users on attentional/executive functions, as evidenced particularly by greater perseverations on card sorting and reduced learning of word lists. These differences remained after controlling for potential confounding variables, such as estimated levels of premorbid cognitive functioning, and for use of alcohol and other substances in the two groups.

Conclusions. —Heavy marijuana use is associated with residual neuropsychological effects even after a day of supervised abstinence from the drug.
Marijuana affects your mind and reaction times for up to one week. This study was conducted by especially nefarious or incompetent people.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

Marijuana is bad for society?!

It never ceases to amaze me how Mormons (who should know better) are quick to advocate the use of deadly force to prevent some people from consuming a plant. How many times does D&C 121 need to be quoted? The use of force for anything other than to protect from imminent danger is satanic, period.

Do you want to know what is bad for society?

1) A main stream media that does nothing but lie 24/7, including the many lies about cannabis.

2) A church that claims to be the only true church on the planet and that preaches frugality, modesty and the hope for a higher order of living but then turns around and spends 2-5 BILLION $$$ on a spacious glass monstrosity of a building built for profit. This is not just any building; it has magical fountains, a retractable roof, live fish and many high-end stores such as Porsche Design. It does not get more worldly than this and we are worried about a few pot users who want to chill and maybe think a little? We've become modern-day Nephites in every sense of the word.

3) The establishment of central banks by private businessman who now control the currency in our economies and by extension, control the government. Remember, you can buy anything in this world with money. Although I'm not an American, Canada has its own version of the Federal Reserve; we call our central bank, The Bank of Canada. President E.T. Benson did nothing but beg us to read the Book of Mormon and to educate ourselves about the secret combination that will prove to be our ruin. The message fell on deaf ears.

4) The passing of laws, supported by our own church, that pretend to show tolerance for homosexuality but that in fact limit our freedom of association and that can force people to enter into contracts against their will such as having to rent an apartment to someone you may not wish to. These laws are satanic. I believe that there are some good men at the helm of the church but I also believe that the church has been taken over by the tares. How else can I explain a church that runs companies for profit, that uses its weight to influence politicians to pass laws that restrict freedom. How is it that we can go from the prophet Joseph Smith giving some of his elders "heck" for wanting to kill a rattle snake to today where our church runs a hunting preserve for the rich and wealthy where, for a fee, one can go and blast Bambi's brains out. Some will say it's for food but the WOW is rather black & white regarding the consumption of meat even though the vast majority of us ignore the revelation on this point. I guess we're too busy trying to convince people not to drink Coke because it has caffeine in it.

5) Churches that use their power to influence governments to pass morality laws such as laws that control liquor... Vices are not crimes.

I could keep going but it would turn into a rant. Seriously, what is the matter with so many of us LDS that we feel we need to control others and point the finger all the time? Should we not educate ourselves and clean up our own back yard before we go and worry about someone else's behaviour, especially when it comes to the consumption of cannabis???

Lastly, I become suspicious when most of the main stream media (all of them liars), government (mostly liars) and churches (some liars and too many people who believe the lies) all get together against a plant. This behaviour leads me to believe that there is a cover-up going on. Anti-marijuana laws (and any other similar law) are evil and satanic.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Did anyone read James E. Talmage's 1884 Journal notes linked above on his college 'experiments' with hashish?

These particular entries were discovered by a fellow BYU student-worker in the Harold B Lee Library Archives in 1978. One of the more cynical student workers observed, "It's good to know there's more than one way to get a vision!"

Is it possible this 'concern' is being taken way too seriously?

aspietroll
captain of 50

Post by aspietroll »

.According to the Colorado Department of Public Safety, arrests in Colorado of black and Latino youth for marijuana possession have increased 58% and 29% respectively after legalization. This means that Black and Latino youth are being arrested more for marijuana possession after it became legal.
That statistic isn't conclusive.

Under what conditions are these people being arrested for possession?

Are they arrested because it's on their person in a public place they shouldn't have it? Can one be arrested for traveling with an open container of cannabis the way you're arrested for having an open bottle of liquor in a vehicle in some states.

More importantly, were they charged with FEDERAL charges? Officers, state police and sheriffs will ignore the state law to execute a Federal law instead, which is improper law enforcement practice. Ignoring the states rights. And some police may decide to target weed smokers after decriminalization because more people are doing it and the revenue that could come from the issuing of tickets is too tempting to resist. Also, civil asset forfeiture, an outright abuse of the bill of rights, is used to enrich corrupt officers and politicians.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

What is bad for society is government stepping outside of it's constitutional restraints to regulate what I take into my body. I don't use recreational drugs including Marijuana but if the government can regulate Marijuana because "it's bad for me" they can regulate anything else they determine to be bad for me which at some point might include Religion.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Someday marijuana will be legal in Utah. Almost every Mormon I know who is conservative supports that position.

aspietroll
captain of 50

Post by aspietroll »

Fiannan wrote: August 16th, 2017, 8:26 am Someday marijuana will be legal in Utah. Almost every Mormon I know who is conservative supports that position.
Is states rights a ground for that?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

aspietroll wrote: August 16th, 2017, 10:27 am
Fiannan wrote: August 16th, 2017, 8:26 am Someday marijuana will be legal in Utah. Almost every Mormon I know who is conservative supports that position.
That and basic morality. You cannot justify ruining people's lives if caught with marijuana.

aspietroll
captain of 50

Post by aspietroll »

Fiannan wrote: August 16th, 2017, 10:56 am
aspietroll wrote: August 16th, 2017, 10:27 am
That and basic morality. You cannot justify ruining people's lives if caught with marijuana.
That is a violation of the 8th amendment.

Not that it means anything anymore anyway. It says "excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed..." but how is a strict adherence to this rule able to exist when a central bank issues unlimited fiat currency and devalues the money every year.

The definition of excessive becomes flexible and individuals in Federal court or in front of Federal commissions can be facing fines in excess of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The stigma of a criminal record and probationary spy tactics is a violation of the "cruel and unusual" clause of the 8th and the 4th amendment.

You can argue that someone doesn't have a right to abuse a destructive drug, but they have a right to not have their life ruined by the law applying so called justice.