Tempted to get tattoo to prove I'm not a fool.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Tempted to get tattoo to prove I'm not a fool.

Post by Fiannan »

Well, but isn't that like the lefty wackos who say "oh, poverty causes crime" (in a whiny voice) which we full well know isn't true? You are saying, "oh, they had an abusive childhood, so they have to get fat and be lazy, or get tattoos." No they don't. That's more like mental health maintenance, isn't it?
dc
Remember the comedian Flip Wilson who would use the line "The Devil made me do it" during comedy sketches? The reason so many religious people are obese is quite simply that they are raised to believe everything in their life is caused by an external force. They are convinced they are not truly in control. True, the more intelligent a person the less they have this feeling in their core. And true too a correct understanding of Gospel principles is contrary to the idea of the external locus of control. Yet it prevails and so acts as a crutch - especially if someone is in a network of people who are out-of-shape.

As for tattoos they are actually quite mainstream now. The idea that only bikers and strippers have them is a concept best left in the 1980s. I really doubt anyone I know (member or not) who has a tattoo had a terrible upbringing.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Fiannan wrote: August 8th, 2017, 1:42 pm
Well, but isn't that like the lefty wackos who say "oh, poverty causes crime" (in a whiny voice) which we full well know isn't true? You are saying, "oh, they had an abusive childhood, so they have to get fat and be lazy, or get tattoos." No they don't. That's more like mental health maintenance, isn't it?
dc
Remember the comedian Flip Wilson who would use the line "The Devil made me do it" during comedy sketches? The reason so many religious people are obese is quite simply that they are raised to believe everything in their life is caused by an external force. They are convinced they are not truly in control. True, the more intelligent a person the less they have this feeling in their core. And true too a correct understanding of Gospel principles is contrary to the idea of the external locus of control. Yet it prevails and so acts as a crutch - especially if someone is in a network of people who are out-of-shape.

As for tattoos they are actually quite mainstream now. The idea that only bikers and strippers have them is a concept best left in the 1980s. I really doubt anyone I know (member or not) who has a tattoo had a terrible upbringing.
I think some people who are obese really do feel out of control due to whatever abuse they have been through in their early lives. Love is necessary for proper brain development. Love is the basis of the gospel anyway. Intelligent people are able to be intelligent because they were first loved. Love conditions the soil for the seed of intelligence and truth to be planted. In other words, why blame obese people? If they are out of control, then maybe there is a good reason. It is better to focus on one's own faults because you probably wouldn't condemn others if you were in their shoes. Obesity in many cases is linked to early childhood sexual abuse.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ty/420186/

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Looking at the title here, is it true that someone gets a tattoo to prove something?
I know that the ones that get them under the influence of drugs and alcohol may have a different motivation, or no motivation, like getting Shanghaied away to sea.
But the ones who do so clean and sober (at least at the hour of getting the tattoo), do they all have something they are trying to prove?
dc

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

David13 wrote: August 8th, 2017, 4:56 pm Looking at the title here, is it true that someone gets a tattoo to prove something?
I know that the ones that get them under the influence of drugs and alcohol may have a different motivation, or no motivation, like getting Shanghaied away to sea.
But the ones who do so clean and sober (at least at the hour of getting the tattoo), do they all have something they are trying to prove?
dc
I cannot answer for everyone but I didn't have anything to "prove" by getting mine. Both my parents have them and I grew up in a part member home, I just always wanted one because it's kind of who I am naturally and didn't really see it as wrong like most members do at the time.

I'm not sure what some may be trying to prove if that what it is. Prove they are tough? Strong? Brave? Cool? I'm not sure a tattoo proves that unless it is a dare or something among young guys.

Some are artistic and their body is a canvas.
Some do it to remember a loved one or a lost child or a person lost to suicide.
Some get it to symbolize an important event or important challenge they have overcome.
Some get it for tribal reasons or cultural symbolism
Some get it for military service

I wouldn't necessarily classify tattoos as proving something maybe more expressing oneself or identifying ones self with something.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Fiannan wrote: August 8th, 2017, 1:20 pm
Questions for the former included: “If you are asked particularly not to do something, do you feel an urge to do it?” For the latter: “If you get yelled at by someone in authority, would you (a) get angry and argue back; (b) try hard to avoid an argument; or (c) not sure?”
https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/201 ... -and-anger

Oh my gosh, the variable. Sheep do not resist authority...and that is why wolves love to prey on them. I guess the Mormon men and women with tattoos who voted for Trump were the ones who sought knowledge, resist conformity and think for themselves. Probably way more spiritual and when things go bad they will not perish like a bunch of snowflakes in the sun.
I'm mormon
I have a pretty cool tattoo
I voted for Trump
I naturally resist conformity
I think for myself
And I'm no snowflake

Thanks for the compliment Fiannan, lol.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

I had a good friend when I was younger that had a Papa Smurf tattoo on his calf- He said Papa Smurf was the bomb. He was like 22 at the time and this was some 20 years ago. Haha - could of fooled us. knew another guy who got a tramp stamp before they were popular on girls - haha. Tattoos are too trendy - I would never get one. I also just like the clean look and old wrinkled or faded tattoos look terrible. I think art should be on the wall.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

David13 wrote: August 7th, 2017, 9:34 pm The names you mention there I have never heard of, and with a hint from your references, I don't want to know who they are.
It seems from your responses that you are judging a book by its cover, and that someone having a lot of tattoos proves who they will always be.
I also see that you are in Utah. If you are anywhere within a comfortable drive to Heber and are willing to see if maybe someone can get a bunch of tattoos, meet missionaries, and become a great Latter-day Saint, I invite you to join me in Heber and learn what kind of person Sister Carraway really is. Event details are at https://www.facebook.com/events/1250209 ... %7D]%22%7D

But I warn you: she will talk about how hurtful it was that people were (and still are) so incredibly judgmental toward her, and you run the risk of feeling very uncomfortable or even guilty.

djinwa
captain of 100

Post by djinwa »

I don't see how people getting tattoos are thinking for themselves. How many came up with the original idea of tattoos? Pretty much following the crowd - tribalists.

If you were thinking for yourself, as soon as someone sticks a hot iron in your hide, you would scream in pain and run away.

Same with alcohol. Tastes nasty, yet people put themselves through misery to follow the crowd. Except for the one that invented booze.

Anyway, I try to avoid ingesting toxins, and avoid going where someone is going to burn my skin. Maybe I'm just too sensitive or something.

As for getting tattoos to remember someone, I hang photos for that.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

brianj wrote: August 9th, 2017, 9:44 pm
David13 wrote: August 7th, 2017, 9:34 pm The names you mention there I have never heard of, and with a hint from your references, I don't want to know who they are.
It seems from your responses that you are judging a book by its cover, and that someone having a lot of tattoos proves who they will always be.
I also see that you are in Utah. If you are anywhere within a comfortable drive to Heber and are willing to see if maybe someone can get a bunch of tattoos, meet missionaries, and become a great Latter-day Saint, I invite you to join me in Heber and learn what kind of person Sister Carraway really is. Event details are at https://www.facebook.com/events/1250209 ... %7D]%22%7D

But I warn you: she will talk about how hurtful it was that people were (and still are) so incredibly judgmental toward her, and you run the risk of feeling very uncomfortable or even guilty.
Tattoos make me feel uncomfortable. I suppose I would feel guilty if I had one. Particularly if I had not known I was getting it, when I got it.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Hah!
I'm in Utah and I'm near a Temple.
One day, leaving, standing and looking around after a session, a wedding was just leaving. The groom was standing around waiting I suppose for the bride to come out. A female, skinny (too skinny) came around the corner (from outside, not from in the Temple). At first she seemed blonde and in a nice white dress, and attractive (except too skinny, suspiciously skinny).
However, I then noticed she was covered (all bare arms) with tattoos all over. The word DRUGS started echoing thru' my mind (gee, I wonder why).
I noticed she had on her arm a very large tattoo of ... the Salt Lake Temple???
She was congratulating the groom, and obviously had not been in the Temple at the wedding.
I was sort of amazed at what I had seen, but no, I was not interested any further.

In relating this story to a friend, his question was "I wonder if the tattoo person said 'you realize what you are doing?'"

Meaning maybe even the tattoo person would know better.

Certain ironic or inconsistent things people do. Like the graffiti spray painted on the side of whatever "I Hate Graffiti". Or I suppose someone spray painting on the side of the Temple "I Love the Temple" (I hate even to suggest such a thing).
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

It's also like Fianan getting a tattoo to prove he's not a fool, thus ... proving he's foolish enough to get a tattoo. I know he's not getting a tattoo.

Tonight is the ward party. Pool. Then food, etc. I asked my neighbor if he was going. Yes. I asked if he was going in the pool. "I have a bald head, knobby knees and a pot belly, and that keeps me out of the water" he says.

I may be foolish enough to go in the pool. (Probably not)

It's akin to getting fake breasts. Just what is it that a person desires to project to their companions.
dc

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Fiannan wrote: August 7th, 2017, 1:01 pm Naturally the title is more a statement of frustration for people who judge by the outside rather than the inside. I do not think I would ever actually get a tattoo, although one of my sons has one.
Mormon Republicans who preferred McMullin were less likely to have a tattoo and more likely to view religion as a positive force in society. They were also twice as likely as Trump voters to think that racial diversity is a positive trend in America and that immigrants strengthen American society.
Mormon Republicans who preferred Trump were more likely to be military veterans and believe that government is almost always wasteful, similar to those that supported Johnson.
http://gazette.com/mormons-trump-and-mc ... le/1607405

I would also say that the people who voted for McMullin appeared to me to be the most gullible and self-righteous Mormons, not the more devout. But I would say their religious ideals may appear outwardly righteous and patriotic, maybe like the ones that President Benson warned us about, but somewhat superficial intellectually. If there is such a thing as a Mormon snowflake who outwardly appears devout but not all that analytical maybe these were the ones who voted for McMullin and would support him if he were to go into politics in the future.

What do others find in regards to the supporters of this guy?
I don't know who supports this guy, but I voted for him. My thinking was:
The two party system is sending America down the tubes
Voting for HIllary or Trump supports the two party system, sending America down the tubes
McMullin winning Utah could open the door for mindless two-party zombies to start thinking they can vote third party, leading to a possible future with America not down the tubes

I don't want America to go down the tubes, so I'll vote for McMullin

Keep in mind also:
If you think McMullin would have been a horrible president, no he wouldn't have. He wasn't registered in enough states to win so he could have been any kind of president
If you voted for Hillary or Trump, you supported the two-party system. And you are shortsighted
The election is probably rigged anyway

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

MMbelieve wrote: August 8th, 2017, 10:22 am
Juliet wrote: August 7th, 2017, 1:47 pm Mormons are people so they will have all the negative qualities you decide to see in them. It isn't wrong to see the negative because evil is real and it exists. But, I don't want to comment further because I am not the one to point people toward their faults.

What I can say, is if you get a tattoo, you are putting a portal on your body and thereby making a contract for entities to inhabit you. I can feel the evil just having a tattoo shop on the street. I don't judge anyone for getting a tattoo because most people don't know the dangers of it. I do believe the atonement covers people when they sin in ignorance. But the truth is, it is a negative contract.
I just might agree with you. I have one and I tell you what, I want another for no rational reason and have to fight the feeling daily....yes daily. It's not a difficult fight mind you but it is something that comes to my mind far to often than I would like. It's weird cause I don't want to look like everyone else with multiple tattoos and think it's trashy.

So ya, I might agree with ya.
Just curious, what's your tattoo of? Or what's the meaning behind it?

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

David13 wrote: August 8th, 2017, 4:56 pm Looking at the title here, is it true that someone gets a tattoo to prove something?
dc
I don't think it's always that way. I thought about having the word "enlightened" tattooed onto the inside of my wrist. I thought about it because I had just gone through a profound spiritual experience and the emotion of it was so strong that I never wanted to forget it and for some reason my thoughts strayed to a tattoo. I guess it was the only thing that could've made me ever consider placing something permanent (unnatural) onto my body. Fortunately for me, I haven't the attention to keep my hair color the same for more than 6 weeks, so a tattoo was out of the question. I like change. I have ways of reliving the emotion so it turns out I didn't need the tattoo anyway. Honestly, it was like a day of wanting to do it and then being really grateful I didn't because I know I would've regretted it. I just can't have something that permanent on my body. But for me, it wasn't to prove anything, it was simply strong emotion. But there are plenty that do things to prove themselves. But some do it because there's an emotional change in their being and they like the permanent reminder.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

David13 wrote: August 10th, 2017, 8:27 am It's also like Fianan getting a tattoo to prove he's not a fool, thus ... proving he's foolish enough to get a tattoo. I know he's not getting a tattoo.

Tonight is the ward party. Pool. Then food, etc. I asked my neighbor if he was going. Yes. I asked if he was going in the pool. "I have a bald head, knobby knees and a pot belly, and that keeps me out of the water" he says.

I may be foolish enough to go in the pool. (Probably not)

It's akin to getting fake breasts. Just what is it that a person desires to project to their companions.
dc
If men's testicles shrank to nothing after having children, I bet they'd fix them, same as women fixing their breasts.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

If you think McMullin would have been a horrible president, no he wouldn't have.
I realize his function was a spoiler. However, the guy makes Hillary look like a freaking saint. We don't need any more neo-cons and seriously seeing some of the LDS zombies at his functions prior to the election was really disappointing.

I realize that there may have been some who voted for him as a protest to the two-party system but there were actually LDS people who believed in him.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Red wrote: August 11th, 2017, 9:03 pm
MMbelieve wrote: August 8th, 2017, 10:22 am
Juliet wrote: August 7th, 2017, 1:47 pm Mormons are people so they will have all the negative qualities you decide to see in them. It isn't wrong to see the negative because evil is real and it exists. But, I don't want to comment further because I am not the one to point people toward their faults.

What I can say, is if you get a tattoo, you are putting a portal on your body and thereby making a contract for entities to inhabit you. I can feel the evil just having a tattoo shop on the street. I don't judge anyone for getting a tattoo because most people don't know the dangers of it. I do believe the atonement covers people when they sin in ignorance. But the truth is, it is a negative contract.
I just might agree with you. I have one and I tell you what, I want another for no rational reason and have to fight the feeling daily....yes daily. It's not a difficult fight mind you but it is something that comes to my mind far to often than I would like. It's weird cause I don't want to look like everyone else with multiple tattoos and think it's trashy.

So ya, I might agree with ya.
Just curious, what's your tattoo of? Or what's the meaning behind it?
It's twin pistons (cause I work/worked on cars and quite good at it) each has a spider web coming down off it (artistic purposes) coming out of an old school rose with vines. All old school no color except white. It's original as well, not a stock tattoo.

Nothing dark or evil, except maybe a spider web...spiders are definately creepy.
Last edited by MMbelieve on August 13th, 2017, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Red wrote: August 11th, 2017, 9:15 pm
dc
I don't think it's always that way. I thought about having the word "enlightened" tattooed onto the inside of my wrist. I thought about it because I had just gone through a profound spiritual experience and the emotion of it was so strong that I never wanted to forget it and for some reason my thoughts strayed to a tattoo. I guess it was the only thing that could've made me ever consider placing something permanent (unnatural) onto my body. Fortunately for me, I haven't the attention to keep my hair color the same for more than 6 weeks, so a tattoo was out of the question. I like change. I have ways of reliving the emotion so it turns out I didn't need the tattoo anyway. Honestly, it was like a day of wanting to do it and then being really grateful I didn't because I know I would've regretted it. I just can't have something that permanent on my body. But for me, it wasn't to prove anything, it was simply strong emotion. But there are plenty that do things to prove themselves. But some do it because there's an emotional change in their being and they like the permanent reminder.
Hey, have you ever had purple hair? I really don't know why but I would love to dye my hair purple, lol. And I don't ever dye my hair. Just for a day or so...

I knew for years I would get a tattoo, as far as I know I'm the only one of the kids that did. When I think of the idea of getting one to prove something I get the idea of weakness come to my mind. I am confident in myself and my abilities as a person so proving something wasn't my purpose either.

I think those who wouldn't ever get a tattoo really try but cannot understand why people do. Much like someone who has never been touched with drugs or alcohol tries but cannot understand a person who has chosen to engage in those things.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

MMbelieve wrote: August 12th, 2017, 11:56 pm
dc
Hey, have you ever had purple hair? I really don't know why but I would love to dye my hair purple, lol. And I don't ever dye my hair. Just for a day or so...

I knew for years I would get a tattoo, as far as I know I'm the only one of the kids that did. When I think of the idea of getting one to prove something I get the idea of weakness come to my mind. I am confident in myself and my abilities as a person so proving something wasn't my purpose either.

I think those who wouldn't ever get a tattoo really try but cannot understand why people do. Much like someone who has never been touched with drugs or alcohol tries but cannot understand a person who has chosen to engage in those things.

No, not only have I tried to understand why they do, I do fully and completely understand why they do those things. And also why they commit crimes, end up in bankruptcy, or get a divorce.
I know quite well the reasons. I have seen the reasons, they are not always the same reasons.

Usually the reasons are fully and completely there, right on the surface for anyone to see. Now, that does not mean the person in the situation sees the reason. He/she may attribute it all to some other reason. But usually it's rather apparent.
dc

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

David13 wrote: August 13th, 2017, 7:51 am
MMbelieve wrote: August 12th, 2017, 11:56 pm
dc

No, not only have I tried to understand why they do, I do fully and completely understand why they do those things. And also why they commit crimes, end up in bankruptcy, or get a divorce.
I know quite well the reasons. I have seen the reasons, they are not always the same reasons.

Usually the reasons are fully and completely there, right on the surface for anyone to see. Now, that does not mean the person in the situation sees the reason. He/she may attribute it all to some other reason. But usually it's rather apparent.
dc
I guess what I was meaning to say is that it's hard to understand why people do certain things unless you have had some level of experience with it. We can give our best understanding but it's usually incomplete. I believe there are two sets of reasons, the reason the subject has and the reasons the outsider or onlooker has.

For example, my mother-in-law believes that if a person dyes their hair an unnatural color or has a tattoo or breaks the law of chastity they "must be on drugs". It's quite funny at times because anything fringe or outside the standard values she has, everyone is on drugs. This is her best understanding because of her values and perspective. It's not true for the majority of the cases.

Some reasons are apparent and make sense but we still do not know completely the inner workings of that person.

I have noticed that people can get a general idea and categorize and that is fine but can be just as wrong as it can be right.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

djinwa wrote: August 9th, 2017, 10:46 pm I don't see how people getting tattoos are thinking for themselves. How many came up with the original idea of tattoos? Pretty much following the crowd - tribalists.

If you were thinking for yourself, as soon as someone sticks a hot iron in your hide, you would scream in pain and run away.

Same with alcohol. Tastes nasty, yet people put themselves through misery to follow the crowd. Except for the one that invented booze.

Anyway, I try to avoid ingesting toxins, and avoid going where someone is going to burn my skin. Maybe I'm just too sensitive or something.

As for getting tattoos to remember someone, I hang photos for that.
It's smart to avoid toxins. And your right to some degree, even when smokers start smoking, they have to smoke for about a week to be able to do it without discomfort. So you have to train yourself to become a smoker. It absolutely sounds ridiculous but it happens every single day. Just be grateful that you do not have the tendencies towards self destructive behaviors.

We are all humans and have our own unique experiences an journeys we must be on. Some people's journeys travel through drugs, alcohol, tattoos (minor in comparison), etc. Some people's don't.

I believe that most every single person who smokes what's to quit and wishes they could but don't know how to do it. How many other things does this apply to? And we offer this help? Or do we judge and stay away from "those kind" of people?

I know people who have changed and become who they are on the inside - just a wonderful and thoughtful person and I believe that them going through the negative coping actually made them better people. They sure don't judge anyone!

It takes some people longer than others though and some can handle issues thrown at them and others struggle. Some turn to drugs for comfort or support or escape. Some because it's what they witnessed and don't really know any better.

So ya, in this very messed up world I hope you are grateful that these things are not a part of your life because it can be hell on earth to struggle with addictions.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

None of those people can change unless and until they want to change, and a lot of them don't realize that they should change, or that they can change. So if someone says something to them, it is helpful to them, whether they know it or not.
And if they take it to heart and determine to change, it may save their lives.
dc

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Juliet wrote: August 7th, 2017, 1:47 pmMormons are people
That's an interesting theory.