14-18 y.o. YM--List of Activities for New Program

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

14-18 y.o. YM--List of Activities for New Program

Post by JohnnyL »

Woo-hoo!! The Church has come out with a list of possible activities for the 14-18 y.o. YM: https://www.lds.org/youth/ymactivities? ... _&lang=eng

Looks like a good suggestion list.

I've really disliked the lack of suggestions, over the years. (J: "Is there a list we can look at?" Church leader: "Just use the Spirit." :-\ "Can't you make a list, by the Spirit? Doesn't information help inspiration? Aren't there write-ups of things that work well, and why? Etc." Church leader: X( )

The church then came out with the activity book, which was nice; but, this is even better.

Funny, I had a program like this for men that I had been thinking of doing...

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Re: 14-18 y.o. YM--List of Activities for New Program

Post by oneClimbs »

This is really cool, JohnnyL. That's a pretty big list of things to do and the instructions for each are very short giving you enough information to kick something off while allowing you plenty of room to tweak it to your own needs. It's all very well done, I like seeing stuff like this.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

What a great resource!!! I'd love to share out with the ym leaders in my ward, but since basketball is listed on there nothing will change. :)) :-w

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

At first glance it seems pretty much along the lines of what we have been doing in the UK for many years. We have never had the Church scouting programme here.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I'll tell you the best part--there is a "Share your experience" part at the bottom where you can write in and tell what you did, how you modified it (if you did), how it went, etc.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

I would point out that the goal is to promote not free range of activities, but activities that promote testimonies, self reliance, stability in families and activity of the church rather than 'Materialism associated activities'. Fun things are OK, and necessary too but I'm worried if they think of only what's fun then they will promote materialism.

The ward I live in I heard them discussing they were going to do a horsemanship activity. Horses are expensive. So I worry that if they do the horsemanship activity that they'll promote materialism. And it just so happens that right now materialism is a big part of what we're doing wrong as church members.