Are you a baptized Mormon?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Yes
95%
No
5%

Total votes: 59
Sweety D
captain of 10

Post by Sweety D »

I'm interested in knowing the demographics of the contributors on this forum. The poll question does not take into account if you actually attend church, or will be baptized eventually. I assume all forum members are over 8 years old. As of this moment, are you a baptized member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Last edited by Sweety D on July 24th, 2017, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRMC
captain of 10

Re: Are you a baptized Mormon?

Post by BRMC »

No. I've recently started researching, reading, and talking to missionaries. I'm also interested in the underlying board topics.

Sweety D
captain of 10

Post by Sweety D »

BRMC wrote: July 24th, 2017, 7:32 pm No. I've recently started researching, reading, and talking to missionaries. I'm also interested in the underlying board topics.
It's great that you are doing research and reading. I'd be interested to know if part of the reading is the Book of Mormon? Along with talking to the missionaries, this book is far and away the best research you can do.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

BRMC wrote: July 24th, 2017, 7:32 pm No. I've recently started researching, reading, and talking to missionaries. I'm also interested in the underlying board topics.
I'm pleased to learn that you're talking with the missionaries. Obviously, I hope you gain a testimony and join the Church. You can read of temples in the Bible. Wouldn't you really like to enter one? That's possible almost immediately after you join the Church. And then, after a year of faithful attendance, you can receive in the temple some very important blessings and promises.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

As Han Solo says in Episode VII

BRMC
captain of 10

Post by BRMC »

I am reading as well. I started a week ago and I'm in Alma.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

alaris wrote: July 24th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Don't believe what others tell you about things being true or not find out for yourself.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

lol

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Ezra wrote: July 25th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Don't believe what others tell you about things being true or not find out for yourself.
The gift to belive another's testimony is indeed a gift of the spirit. Even if that person is Han Solo.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

A lot of the things on this forum, but there is some incorrect information sometimes. And sometimes I see some threads have contention, so even though most here are members, sometimes you have to screen things they say. :)

BRMC
captain of 10

Post by BRMC »

"One of these things is not like the other ones.....One of these things just doesn't belong"

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

This is not the place to learn of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Try
https://www.lds.org/?lang=eng

gardener4life wrote: July 25th, 2017, 6:13 pm A lot of the things on this forum, but there is some incorrect information sometimes. And sometimes I see some threads have contention, so even though most here are members, sometimes you have to screen things they say. :)

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

gardener4life wrote: July 25th, 2017, 6:13 pm A lot of the things on this forum, but there is some incorrect information sometimes. And sometimes I see some threads have contention, so even though most here are members, sometimes you have to screen things they say. :)
Except for me. You can trust every single word. ;)

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

It's true that lds.org is better...but isn't there that scripture that there where the meat is, the eagles will gather? Don't the eagles need places to gather and discuss the truths of the gospel? I think that people also need to see that other people also believe as strongly as they do and that not everyone is a Sunday only Mormon in Babylon.

Irrelevant
captain of 100

Post by Irrelevant »

BRMC wrote: July 25th, 2017, 6:36 pm "One of these things is not like the other ones.....One of these things just doesn't belong"
Ha ha. Nah. You belong, baptized or not. I'd advise you to take your time, study, and pray. When the time is right to make a decision, you'll know. Plenty of us here would love to answer any questions you may have and help you in any way we can.

BRMC
captain of 10

Post by BRMC »

I have been. I'm learning, digesting, and observing. It's certainly interesting, but I'll know someday if it's what I'm looking for. I was just introduced to the church a few weeks ago.

In the meantime, I'm a huge supporter of liberty.

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Post by Kingdom of ZION »

Sweety D wrote: July 24th, 2017, 7:21 pm I'm interested in knowing the demographics of the contributors on this forum. The poll question does not take into account if you actually attend church, or will be baptized eventually. I assume all forum members are over 8 years old. As of this moment, are you a baptized member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

The Question is: Are you a baptized Mormon?

YES I am. Now if your asking am I a baptized member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. YES. Am I currently a member of record of the LDS Church? NO. I do not recant the Covenant I made with G_d ever! No matter from what administrations. I am also baptized Mormon in two other Mormon Restoration Churches. Am I a member of record of those? Only one, however I do not fellowship or follow the leadership of that one either.

So, if your finding we are almost all Mormon, you might want to ask, and of those... how many consider themselves LDS Church Member. ;) Just cause...

Shalom

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Yes, I am a member on record of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I am also a Christened and Confirmed member of the Anglican Church.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

In all seriousness have you read and followed Moronis promise? I'm sure the missionaries have shared it but just in case.... Moroni chapter 10 verses 3 through 5. The promise is if you will read from the Book of Mormon (15-30 minutes will do,) ponder the words, and then pray to Heavenly Father and ask in the name of Jesus Christ whether the words are true, God will manifest the truth to you by the power of the Holy Ghost. The promise is legitimate and works every time.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

alaris wrote: July 25th, 2017, 6:12 pm
Ezra wrote: July 25th, 2017, 5:46 pm

The gift to belive another's testimony is indeed a gift of the spirit. Even if that person is Han Solo.
To many people have to many conflicting testimonies. Believing in men's testimonies is not wise. That's why you ask God and not place your trust in men. Even Han Solo.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Ezra wrote: July 25th, 2017, 11:21 pm To many people have to many conflicting testimonies. Believing in men's testimonies is not wise. That's why you ask God and not place
your trust in men. Even Han Solo.
*ahem*
D&C 42:13 To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world.
14 To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful.
I hear what you're saying Ezra ... but the person speaking above is the Lord Jesus Christ. Asking God and receiving one's own witness is wonderful, but we can also believe in others' testimonies being as that it is a gift of the Spirit as defined by the Lord. "That they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful" sounds like it's extremely wise ... ;)

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

No, mostly since I don't gel with churches and people, but the scriptures and values have brought me strength and a better outlook on life and humanity.
I can't be friends with sjw's which is a good thing lol

Baysimove
captain of 100

Post by Baysimove »

I am baptized as Christian and I am proud of it

Arandur
captain of 100

Post by Arandur »

alaris wrote: July 25th, 2017, 11:38 pm
Ezra wrote: July 25th, 2017, 11:21 pm To many people have to many conflicting testimonies. Believing in men's testimonies is not wise. That's why you ask God and not place
your trust in men. Even Han Solo.
*ahem*
D&C 42:13 To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world.
14 To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful.
I hear what you're saying Ezra ... but the person speaking above is the Lord Jesus Christ. Asking God and receiving one's own witness is wonderful, but we can also believe in others' testimonies being as that it is a gift of the Spirit as defined by the Lord. "That they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful" sounds like it's extremely wise ... ;)
Well said. Ultimately, all do have the opportunity to know for themselves. And this is certainly a gift to strive for. But in my experience, the Lord doesn't always give an immediate witness to all truth to every person every time. He isn't silent, but His answer isn't always given in the form of a witness or knowledge by the Holy Ghost. What are we to do in the meantime? We are to believe on the words and testimonies of others, at least as sufficient reason to continue living faithfully and seeking our own witness. And we are to take whatever revelation does come to us from the Lord and act faithfully upon it. Maybe it's a witness. Or maybe it's a sense that the gospel is good and deserves further attention and nourishing (see Alma 32 in the Book of Mormon). Or it could be an impression to change some aspect of how we are living, or any number of things.

We can and should seek our own witness from the Spirit. Having received a knowledge that Jesus is the Christ, I know better than to discount or downplay the value of such a witness from the Spirit. By all means, do whatever is required by the Lord to receive that witness. Its value is priceless. But it's equally important to remember that "[we] receive no witness until after the trial of [our] faith" (Ether 12:6). For many of us (in my limited observation, for most of us), part of the "trial" in this context involves being temporarily content to believe on the words of others and trust in the quieter impressions from the Spirit that this path is a good one, and that a witness will one day come if we continue faithful.

This is, as quoted above by alaris, a gift given to many by the Holy Ghost. It is a good thing! A little time spent without a witness teaches lessons and principles not easily learned otherwise.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Sirocco wrote: July 26th, 2017, 10:21 pm No, mostly since I don't gel with churches and people, but the scriptures and values have brought me strength and a better outlook on life and humanity.
I can't be friends with sjw's which is a good thing lol
I hope you join us in the Church someday, Sirocco, even if it is just to get baptized. Not all members attend Church every Sunday or mingle with members outside of Church. You are needed in the Church as much as any of the rest of us.