Speeches by H. Verlan Andersen as a general authority?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
norgaards
captain of 10

Speeches by H. Verlan Andersen as a general authority?

Post by norgaards »

Does anybody here know where I might find speeches by H. Verlan Andersen from the time when he was a general authority of the church? At LDS.org I only see what must have been his last speech before he died: "Bring Up Your Children in Light and Truth." I neither see any of his talks at speeches.byu.edu. He was a general authority for at least 5 years, so there must be some speeches of him somwhere. I know his books.

Thanks
John

inho
captain of 1,000

Re: Speeches by H. Verlan Andersen as a general authority?

Post by inho »

There are two speeches in lds.org. It is quite possible that he didn't give more talks in General Conference during his five years as GA.

The other talk is Missionary Work Is the Lifeblood of the Church (Oct. 1986).

I also found New Era article: Always Remember

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I may be wrong (and I hope I am wrong), but it seems that as a Seventy Elder H. Verlan Andersen did not promote the Constitution, constitutional principles, and awareness of the secret combinations as he did in the books that he wrote and published. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. He was I believe the first man called to be a general authority by President Benson when he became the Prophet. The latest editions (republications) of at least some of his books contain in the appendix copies of correspondence between Elder Andersen and Elder Benson. I found these very enlightening/informative.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Years ago while living in Tokyo I gave three of Elder Andersen's publications to Elder Yoshihiko Kikuchi, a fellow 70 of Elder Andersen's. Elder Kikuchi was serving as the Tokyo Temple president at the time and sent me a very nice thank you response. It seemed that even a Japanese member of the Quorum of the 70 knew Elder Andersen's positions on the proper role of government before I gave him the book.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

lundbaek wrote: August 3rd, 2017, 1:02 pm I may be wrong (and I hope I am wrong), but it seems that as a Seventy Elder H. Verlan Andersen did not promote the Constitution, constitutional principles, and awareness of the secret combinations as he did in the books that he wrote and published. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. He was I believe the first man called to be a general authority by President Benson when he became the Prophet. The latest editions (republications) of at least some of his books contain in the appendix copies of correspondence between Elder Andersen and Elder Benson. I found these very enlightening/informative.

Maybe Elder Anderson took the counsel given by Elder Packer back in 1971 to heart in his calling as a general authority 70? Might be good advice for us all..

"Elder Boyd K. Packer of the Quorum of the Twelve has likened the fulness of the gospel to a piano keyboard. He has told us that a person could be “attracted by a single key,” such as a doctrine he or she wants to hear “played over and over again. … Some members of the Church who should know better pick out a hobby key or two and tap them incessantly, to the irritation of those around them. They can dull their own spiritual sensitivities. They lose track that there is a fulness of the gospel … [which they reject] in preference to a favorite note. This becomes exaggerated and distorted, leading them away into apostasy” (Ensign, Dec. 1971, p. 42).

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I still feel constrained to continue doing what I can toward helping to prepare a people to restore the American government to its  proper role of protecting our God-given and inalienable rights when opportunity arises .  All of us have been given differing talents and those talents can be put to use in a myriad of ways. I find that participation on this LDSFF, with the frequent addition of new members, affords me good opportunity to make at least some Latter-day Saints aware of their divinely mandated responsibilities to study, uphold and abide by the principles of the US Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers, or as the Founders meant it to be understood, and to understand and support the proper role of government according to gospel principles, and also to make some people aware of the conspiracy to overthrow the freedoms of all lands, nations, and countries and establish a single global government.