Just another cop killing someone

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Serragon
captain of 1,000

Re: Just another cop killing someone

Post by Serragon »

mirkwood wrote: July 18th, 2017, 4:34 pm
h_p wrote: July 18th, 2017, 4:07 pm Would you agree that it should at least deserve some extra scrutiny?
No.

All shootings should be scrutinized, whether the shooter was a police officer or not.

Funny thing about that...they all get scrutinized.
But they do not get scrutinized by the same standards.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

h_p wrote: July 18th, 2017, 5:08 pm
I'm sure they do. What I hope does not happen is that the people doing the scrutinizing don't just write off the fact that he never turned on his body cam per dept. policy because they think that it's not unreasonable. It should be viewed with suspicion. That's all I'm trying to get at.
He will be asked why it was not turned on and they will decide if it was a good reason or not.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Serragon wrote: July 18th, 2017, 6:12 pm But they do not get scrutinized by the same standards.
You are correct. The officer gets scrutinized far more. Some might say that isn't fair.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Serragon wrote: July 18th, 2017, 6:11 pm I understand the law. There was no misconception. The law is the basis of my point. the law in this case is unjust.

The law gives the state powers that you don't have. An officer can shoot you for most any reason and get away with it as long as they are on duty. You cannot.
I mostly agree with you there, and is what I have the biggest gripe about: the double standard between government folks and the rest of us. The Minn. law I listed above seems to give broad leeway to LEOs, way more than I've seen in other states, though admittedly it all seems to hinge on the force being "reasonable." I don't know how that's applied in that state.

I do think LEOs should be granted some immunities because of the unique role they play in society, but there's a lot that's unnecessary, imo. But the real injustice, though, is when they clearly break the laws, and get off with maybe only being fired from their jobs. Here's some examples:

Off-duty officer makes terroristic threat, gets off by simply resigning
Same thing in Canton OH: goes free by resigning, gets paid $40k by city as he leaves
Cop shoots unarmed, non-threatening suspect, lies about it on dash cam, then claims accidental discharge, cleared of all wrong-doing

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

mirkwood wrote: July 18th, 2017, 6:53 pm
Serragon wrote: July 18th, 2017, 6:12 pm But they do not get scrutinized by the same standards.
You are correct. The officer gets scrutinized far more. Some might say that isn't fair.
When a cop gets arrested while being investigated, rather than being put on paid admin leave, then you might have a point.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

mirkwood wrote: July 18th, 2017, 6:53 pm
The question is not about quantity of scrutiny, but the standards that each individual is held to. The threshold of what constitutes criminality is much less for a citizen. It is nearly nonexistent for a police officer.

The end result for an officer might be suspension, a transfer, or more training. The end result for the rest of us would be 10 to 20 in the poky.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Serragon wrote: July 18th, 2017, 9:26 pm
The question is not about quantity of scrutiny, but the standards that each individual is held to. The threshold of what constitutes criminality is much less for a citizen. It is nearly nonexistent for a police officer.

The end result for an officer might be suspension, a transfer, or more training. The end result for the rest of us would be 10 to 20 in the poky.
Having spent some time on both sides of the investigations I can say you are incorrect in your perceptions. But I recognize from having been on this board for many years I am unlikely to change your belief.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

h_p wrote: July 18th, 2017, 7:04 pm
When a cop gets arrested while being investigated, rather than being put on paid admin leave, then you might have a point.
I've been a part of many of these investigations and your perceptions are also inaccurate. There have been arrests both directions for "bad" shootings. There have been many, as you put it "citizen" shootings that have not resulted in arrests.

Again after many years on this board I recognize the low likelihood of changing your beliefs.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

mirkwood wrote: July 18th, 2017, 9:42 pm
Serragon wrote: July 18th, 2017, 9:26 pm

Having spent some time on both sides of the investigations I can say you are incorrect in your perceptions. But I recognize from having been on this board for many years I am unlikely to change your belief.
My mind is completely open to being changed. But I have seen no evidence to suggest that what I believe is false. I respect your opinion, but your say so is not enough. Provide me with something that will cause me to rethink my opinions.

My beliefs have been formed via observation. I am sure that there are exceptions to what I stated above. But overall police are not keen on arresting other officers. Prosecuting attorneys are not keen on trying and convicting officers. Jurors and judges give officers the benefit of the doubt due to their position. Add in the fact that the law allows broad authorization for the use of force and you have a near impossible situation for an officer to be held to the same legal and criminal standard as an average citizen.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

eddie wrote: July 18th, 2017, 2:15 pm I understand how on guard officers need to be these days, but somehow they have got to differinciate between a hardened criminal and someone needing help.

I live in Idaho and I've never seen more anal cops, what the hell, we citizens pay their wages! I will never call an officer to my home, they just cause more trouble with their nonsense and brow beatings, with any luck you won't be shot!
As Paul Craig Roberts has noted police departments favor sociopathic hires nowadays. And one should avoid any interaction with police. True, most cops are good people but one can guess there are many more sociopaths in police work than in the general population and the militarization of police work sine 9-11 has made things really bad. As for the differences between a psychopath (using the terms as they are applied in society) who might be a calculating politician or leader in a religious body the sociopath is far less predictable in their interactions with people.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

http://www.wnd.com/2017/07/killer-cop-m ... sity-hire/

"The city has not released any information, but the officer who pulled the trigger has been identified as Mohamed Noor, a Somali-American who entered the country as a refugee and was the first Somali to be employed by the department’s 5th precinct.

WND’s request for information Tuesday was met with a non-comment from Corey Schmidt, the police department’s public information officer.

“The Minneapolis Police Department is not able to provide comment on the investigation,” Schmidt said in an email.

WND has learned he was one of five Somalis on the entire force and that the city makes a special effort to recruit Somalis as part of its affirmative-action plan.

The city’s affirmative-action program requires it to give preferential treatment to minorities, not only those hired by the city but by all contractors awarded contracts of more than $100,000.

The city’s leaders bemoaned the fact that they could not come up with more blacks to staff 100 new positions that came open at the end of 2014. The Star-Tribune, in an Aug. 19, 2014, article headlined “Minneapolis police struggle to hire diverse force,” interviewed several activists who took the city to task for allowing the number of black officers to dwindle.

With 100 new openings, the city was all but apologizing for the fact that at least 71 percent would be white, saying it had tried everything to recruit more blacks over the years, including a pre-high school academy that nurtured young black kids who showed an interest in law enforcement. But was having only marginal success.

“Minneapolis police have about half the black and Hispanic officers they need to accurately reflect the city’s population, records show. This comes despite years of diversity plans, legal action and a federal mediation agreement sparked by low levels of minority representation within the police,” the Star Tribune reported.

The mediation agreement was a tool of the Obama Justice Department to pressure the city into hiring more black and Latino officers.

One of those who dished out criticism of city leaders in late 2015 was Peter Hayden, part of the Community Standards Initiative, a group seeking more diversity in the city’s police department.

“My concern and our concern is that there seems to be room to hire new people but where are the people of color, particularly about African-Americans?” asked Hayden.

Minneapolis police have been “intensely committed” to finding diverse candidates, police spokesman John Elder told the Star-Tribune in August 2014.

So, a few months later when the department hired Mohamed Noor in March 2015, it was a big deal. The mayor herself, Betsy Hodges, issued a public statement commending the hire.

Noor, who entered the U.S. as a child from war-torn Somalia, joined four other Somali-Americans on the Minneapolis Police Department. Given that he was not only black but a Muslim refugee, he instantly gave credibility to the mayor’s promises of a more diverse police force. This plan, according to city documents, uses affirmative-action in an attempt to hire minorities to city positions in the exact same ratio that they are present in the city’s general population.

Because blacks represent 18 percent of the city’s population, they should make up 18 percent of the police officers on patrol, according to the city’s Office of Civil Rights.

The Somali community itself represents about 50,000 residents within the city, most of them imported by the United Nations refugee resettlement program, which has been sending Somalis to America since at least 1990.

What’s ironic is that while the city was recruiting Somalis to become police officers, al-Shabab and the Islamic State were recruiting them just as heavily to become terrorists.

Andrew Luger, the Obama-appointed U.S. Attorney for Minnesota, admitted during a press conference announcing the terrorism-related arrests of six more Somalis in April 2015 that “Minnesota has a terror recruitment problem.”

More than three-dozen young Somali men from Minneapolis have left the U.S. to fight for al-Shabaab in Somalia and for ISIS in Syria and Iraq.
The hiring of Noor, who in March 2015 joined less than half-a-dozen other Somali-American officers on the Minneapolis P.D., was supposed to show the world that male Somali refugees could grow up to become model citizens, not just terrorists. Noor was the first Somali-American officer to patrol in the city’s fifth precinct and was welcomed into the force personally by Hodges.

So it didn’t matter that Noor had been the subject of three complaints of unprofessional conduct including a lawsuit that alleges he brutalized another woman in May 2017. Terminating him would require answering to the city’s powerful Muslim advocacy groups, something no Democrat in Minnesota wants to do.

The city also launched a new “hate crimes hotline” last month in which it encouraged citizens to take special note of its local police and whether they were exercising “bias” based on one’s race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity or religious background.

Given the political makeup of the city’s leadership and its desire to hire more black officers, especially those with roots in the Somali community, it is highly unlikely that investigators will seek to find out if Noor was motivated by his own religious bias in the killing of Justine Damond, said former Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann.

The question that needs to be answered is, was this shooting a mistake or was it a “cultural seizure” by a Muslim officer who snapped and acted irrationally at the sight of a woman in her pajamas?

“The shooting makes no sense, and Noor comes from the mandated cover-up women culture,” Bachmann told WND. “That’s why I’m wondering if they’ll ask whether his cultural views led him to shoot her. That’s something, if true, I can’t imagine the progressives would allow to get out.

“Minneapolis race-baiters traffic in imagined bias,” Bachmann added. “This may have been real bias. But will we ever know?”

Justine’s longtime fiance, Don Damond, spoke at a press conference Monday evening and said the family is not only in a deep state of grieving, but is tormented by the lack of information on what happened to their loved one.

“Sadly, her family and I have been provided with almost no information on what happened,” Don Damond said.

Ed Davis, the former police commissioner for the city of Boston, appeared on Fox News Tuesday and said the city of Minneapolis owes the victim’s family some answers. Shoving the entire investigation off on state detectives is not a valid excuse, he said.

“For a police commissioner to come out and say there’s no information, that’s unconscionable,” Davis said, adding that the little bits of information that are available indicate the shooting was either a horrible mistake in which protocol was violated, or it was intentional in which the officer should have already been arrested.

“This family deserves answers. You are taught that you never fire a gun over the chest of your partner,” he said. “The rules are pretty clear. There were at least three witnesses, and there have been reports that his partner was shocked?”

Yet, because of Minnesota’s political culture, most notably its iron-clad commitment to political correctness, the strange shooting of Justine Damond may never get an honest investigation, says Ann Corcoran, who has followed the refugee influx into more than 300 U.S. cities and towns over the past decade.

The influence of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, or CAIR, and Muslim politicians like Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., is enormous and cannot be overstated, Corcoran said.

“This is conquered territory, so they will never even ask the pertinent questions, let alone get to the answers,” said Corcoran, who blogs at Refugee Resettlement Watch.

“Just imagine if the situation had been flipped and it had been a young, attractive Muslim woman who called 9-1-1 and ran out in her pajamas, thinking she was going to get help, only to be shot and killed by a white officer,” Corcoran added. “Think about the outcry that would have sparked from Minneapolis’ liberal mayor and her cohorts. They would have played the race card and the religion card immediately. But because it was a black Muslim officer, you hear nothing about race or religion as a possible motivator.”

Corcoran said she also doubts there will be any calls to the Minneapolis hate-crimes hotline."

http://www.wnd.com/2017/07/killer-cop-m ... upEOGOC.99

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

This story has appeared in news in several Europian countries too.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

“Minneapolis police have about half the black and Hispanic officers they need to accurately reflect the city’s population, records show. This comes despite years of diversity plans, legal action and a federal mediation agreement sparked by low levels of minority representation within the police,” the Star Tribune reported.
and
The city’s affirmative-action program requires it to give preferential treatment to minorities, not only those hired by the city but by all contractors awarded contracts of more than $100,000.
So let that sink in. When liberals, the LDS Church, the pope dude and others help facilitate more open doors immigration what it winds up doing is increasing the numbers of immigrants, which then means you have to give more preference to hiring people of those groups than to whites, and then as the population of these groups grow the more you have to increase the quotas for those groups.

Seems legit if you want to replace people.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Update: The responding Minneapolis police officers Matthew Harrity and Mohamed Noor had not been on the force long. Harrity had been hired a year ago; Noor two years prior.

Mohamed Noor has refused to be interviewed by investigators, so his mind-set is still a mystery.
Noor’s attorney, Thomas Plunkett, has not indicated whether the officer will give an interview. He did not respond to a request for comment.

Harrity’s attorney, Fred Bruno, confirmed he was representing Harrity but did not comment further.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

From an article I just read, not sure how factual, the officer who shot her had 3 complaints against him. Does it really do any good to complain about an officer? I like mirkwood's calm replays, but that is not the experience most of we citizens are having! Is it the job that goes to their head? Is it that they are insulated and the judges side with them? I don't really care what it is, I don't like their attitude, but you dare not argue with them!

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel wrote: June 29th, 2017, 12:33 pm
For the past 20 years, ex-Army Ranger and “killology” expert Dave Grossman has been traveling across the US to train police officers on his philosophy of killing. Footage from one of Grossman’s seminars is juxtaposed with stark, brutal images of police brutality—including the shooting of Philando Castile by a Minnesota police officer.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Audio Released of Cops Who Turned Off Body Cams And Killed Justine Damond

Post by Joel »

Audio Released of Cops Who Turned Off Body Cams And Killed Justine Damond

Minneapolis, MN — New details are emerging about the tragic shooting of Justine Damond, an Australian yoga teacher and spiritual healer, by Officer Mohamed Noor. The Free Thought Project has learned that Noor had a history of complaints against him, neither he nor his partner chose to activate their body cameras before the shooting, and the audio from the radio dispatch has been released capturing Damond’s final moments on earth.

Officer Noor, who was sitting in the passenger seat of his patrol car at the time, opened fire through the driver’s side door hitting Damond at least once in the abdomen. Noor and his partner were responding to her 911 call about a possible sexual assault.

Police have yet to release any reason for Noor, who joined the force in 2015, to have opened fire as Damond was unarmed.

Witnesses told The Star Tribune that Damond, wearing pajamas, was speaking to officer Matthew Harrity, 25, through the driver-side window of the police cruiser when Noor, sitting in the passenger’s seat, shot Damond through the driver-side door.

Noor’s partner was allegedly “stunned” when Noor opened fire, KARE11 reported through a source.

Conveniently, for the officers involved in the shooting, it was revealed on Monday that neither of them had activated their body cameras. The dashcam, we are told, was not recording any video footage either.

Since 2016, Minneapolis has required all officers to wear and activate body cameras “at all times when they could reasonably anticipate that they may become involved in a situation for which activation is appropriate,” as noted by HuffPo.

But these officers conveniently managed to turn off both of their body cameras and the dashcam before entering the alleyway in response to Damond’s call about an alleged sexual assault taking place behind her home.

While police have been shamefully tight-lipped on the killing of an innocent unarmed mother, they did release audio of the conversation between the officers and dispatch immediately following Noor’s shots.

In the audio, one officer can be heard saying he sees a ‘female screaming behind a building’ after the shots were fired.

“Shots fired … we have one down,” an officer is heard calmly telling dispatch after Noor had shot Damond to death behind her home.

The conversation continues as Damond bleeds out in one of the safest neighborhoods in town — killed by those who are ostensibly sworn to protect.

Attorney Thomas Plunkett said in a statement that Noor “takes these events very seriously.”

“He joined the police force to serve the community and to protect the people he serves,” Plunkett said. “Officer Noor is a caring person with a family he loves, and he empathizes with the loss others are experiencing.”

However, it has since come to light that Noor had multiple complaints against him prior to killing Damond. One of the complaints is still open.

The open federal investigation into Noor stems from a former social worker from Minneapolis who says Noor and other officers violated her constitutional rights in March by ordering her detention at a hospital after she called 911 to report a drug crime and other issues.

Damond had also called 911 to report a crime, she was not fortunate enough, however, to file a complaint against Noor.

“We lost the dearest of people and are desperate for information,” Damond’s fiancé, Don Damond, said Monday, according to the Star Tribune, in his first public comments. “Piecing together Justine’s last moments before the homicide would provide small comfort as we grieve this tragedy.”

Sadly, it appears that this small comfort may be a long way away.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

inho wrote: July 18th, 2017, 12:49 pm
h_p wrote: July 18th, 2017, 11:34 am
The Minneapolis Police Dept. requires any officer involved in using force to activate a body camera, The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported late Sunday, noting that, when activated, the body cameras feature a 30-second buffer -- which allows whatever occurred in the crucial 30 seconds before the camera was activated to still be recorded. The ACLU has called for penalties against the officers for not starting their units.
So this is why several articles said that they should have at least turned cameras on right after the shooting. This buffer is actually a clever thing. Some times things happen so quickly that there is no time to turn the camera on, but thanks to the buffer it is enough if you turn it on right after the situation.
Some cops don't remember the buffer in their body cameras: Police body cam footage 'shows officer planting drugs'

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

"Justine didn't have to die … I believe the actions in question go against who we are as a department, how we train and the expectations we have for our officers," Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau said.

"These were the actions and judgement of one individual.
"I want to assure Justine's family, our community and those in Australia that I will do everything in my power to ensure due process is followed and justice is served.

"We are in constant contact with the Australian Government, and representatives of the US Government and Minnesota State authorities."Officer Mohamed Noor and his partner's body cameras were not turned on and their police car dashboard camera did not capture the incident late on Saturday night.

Chief Harteau said the body cameras should have been activated, and added the department was examining its policy on cameras, including technological advances that turn them on automatically.

"We had the cameras for about eight months, so it's not second nature for officers to put those cameras on yet," she said.

"Which is why we want to do everything we can in training and in policy to ensure that they're put on before an officer arrives at the scene, because one can never predict when something is going to happen."

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Chief Harteau said the body cameras should have been activated, and added the department was examining its policy on cameras, including technological advances that turn them on automatically.
Well that sure sounds like an attempt to calm down people in light of a tragedy. Good PR. In translation I doubt it means anything of substance.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

See, everything is back to normal...well, except for the Australian woman who has been, or will be, buried.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Fiannan wrote: July 28th, 2017, 11:45 am See, everything is back to normal...well, except for the Australian woman who has been, or will be, buried.
A small price to pay for racial diversity on the police force.

Baysimove
captain of 100

Post by Baysimove »

I believe cops only fired up when there is a threat of their situation especially covering up an intentional incident that can could harm innocent people.They know the law and the circumstances.