Where do you find support?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
brianj
captain of 1,000

Where do you find support?

Post by brianj »

I'm going through a really tough time right now. I am a convert, the only one from the family of my childhood, and as a family we are not close at all. My father's in California, my mother's in Florida. And I don't have any family of my own at this time.

I moved to Utah a few months ago, feeling I was guided here and that I am supposed to be here. But the second move in less than a year means that I have been isolated from the friends I used to have.

I'm in a unique position for a little while where I don't really have a family but I'm not single. If I go to a public event and a single adult group decides to sit where I am, as soon as conversation brings up that I'm not single yet their words and actions make it clear they don't want me anywhere near them even though I was there first. Most married people I meet seem to only be focused on their immediate and extended families, and when they want new friends they only want other couples. All the other groups that I have found so far are far removed from church standards.

I would compare my current situation to dusk or, hopefully, dawn. I'm not in darkness, I'm not in sunlight. I'm stuck somewhere in between for the time being and I would be a lot better off if I wasn't stuck here all alone. And I had an experience on Facebook this morning where a group that had been a tremendous amount of support while providing me the opportunity to support others became a place where I feel like a foreigner.

Where do you find support? Where can you suggest that I might find support?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: Where do you find support?

Post by marc »

Where in Utah are you? My door is open. Message me and I'll give you my cell # to call text any time.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

marc wrote: July 10th, 2017, 7:43 pm Where in Utah are you? My door is open. Message me and I'll give you my cell # to call text any time.
I second that. I'm not in Utah but in it same time zone. I've been through divorce though I am not a convert. Peace and prayers your way. :ymhug: O:-)

Here's a scripture that makes me cry when going through tough times.
Matthew 11:28 ¶ Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

Indeed, we are. And part of life is learning to be content with yourself and not needing support. Getting to that point is very difficult but, ultimately, perhaps the most rewarding thing.

In the mean time, you can find support from others. What do you like to do? I'm going to start frisbee golfing at lunch on Tuesdays.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I would love disk golf. I played occasionally in the past, pretty infrequently because I didn't like being the only one on the course who is all alone.

I work at Thanksgiving Point but, unfortunately for me, Tuesdays and Fridays I need to stay in the office at lunch time.

Spider
captain of 100

Post by Spider »

Join groups and clubs with similar hobbies and interests such as hiking, biking, and skiing. Invite neighbors over for a BBQ and games.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Activities are the best way to make new friends, people who spend lots of time with and get to know each other and have something in common. Maybe play a sport?

Whatever you do, stay close to the Lord...he can help you feel less alone while you go through this transition. I know it can sound very simple and standard answer like but I do know that he can provide comfort and companionship and renewed strengrh within your soul when things are difficult.

My advice is to smile and be happy the best you can and others will gravitate to you. Offer yourself and your talents and abilities to others.

Im sorry for your difficult situation, perhaps you are in the dawn of a new life which will bring you great satisfaction and joy.