The Ensign - worth it?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Irrelevant
captain of 100

Re: The Ensign - worth it?

Post by Irrelevant »

eddie wrote: June 29th, 2017, 3:49 pm
LukeAir2008 wrote: June 29th, 2017, 3:07 pm I remember the first Ensign I ever possessed was the November 1980 Conference edition given to me by the two greatest missionaries who ever walked the planet - Elder Val Worthington from Scottsdale, Arizona and Elder Paul Deis from Ogden, Utah. It was more precious than gold to me!
Those of us who've had the gospel our whole life don't appreciate it.
You're probably right about that. I used to read every issue, cover to cover. Then I started reading Gospel related books (Skousen, Nibley...), delving into the scriptures more, reading Journal of Discourses, etc and realized that I wasn't reading every Ensign. I download the current issue every now and then and just can't get into it anymore. I just thought it was me until this thread.

bbsion
captain of 100

Post by bbsion »

I've always felt like the Ensign was, for the most part, watered down milk (1% milk) of the Gospel. Although, I do not agree with every article I've read.

In Seminary a while back my teacher said he would count reading the Ensign as our daily scripture reading for part of our grade. Meaning... if we did not read the BOM but we read an article from the Ensign then we would still get credit. I wholeheartedly disagree with that. In my opinion, The Ensign is not scripture.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

There is an excellent (meaty) article in this month's "Ensign" written by Elder Bednar. It is about Zion's Camp. I have decided to take another look at all my old magazines and maybe read a few of them. Perhaps I am the one who has been slipping in standards lately and not the "Ensign."

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

Last edited by diligently seeking on July 3rd, 2017, 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Is it the content or the spirit that does the teaching? A combination of both? My experience has been that simple gospel principles, truths, and doctrines combined with pondering and prayer have produced fruit that is delicious, gratitude that is overflowing, real experiences with the Holy Ghost, and a greater desire to serve Christ in action. I have found these in the Ensign, Scriptures, and Conference among other meetings in the church.

For example, In a world that attempts to define success in so many ways I read the following article in the Ensign and after pondering the result was a renewed commitment to Christ, insights that I had never previously had, and impactful impressions about major decisions in my life at the time.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2016/03/the- ... y?lang=eng

Seems basic at first glance but I will be forever grateful.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Matchmaker wrote: July 1st, 2017, 7:46 pm There is an excellent (meaty) article in this month's "Ensign" written by Elder Bednar. It is about Zion's Camp. I have decided to take another look at all my old magazines and maybe read a few of them. Perhaps I am the one who has been slipping in standards lately and not the "Ensign."
If you scroll up more on this OP you will see I posted the link for Elder Bednar's article about Zion's camp. A definite must read.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

There are still plenty of good things in the Ensign, but there are definitely the "philosophies of men" that creep in too.

It's like all of my experience at church now. Keep the good, drop the bad. How do I decide the difference? Does it agree with what the prophets and scriptures teach? Does the Spirit confirm the truth of it or deny it as untruth.

I am often stunned when I look at what the prophets have actually addressed over the years that one wouldn't necessarily consider looking up in Conference talks and other books and articles they have written.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

I just finished the article by Elder Gay on the Savior. That's meaty, as well.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I just looked at the July magazine online. One story really stood out as an example of what I mean.
I guy in England driving to church sees a woman on the side of the road. Offers her a ride. Drops her off near the chapel (she was going somewhere nearby) and says if she comes back 3 hours later he'll give her a ride back. She turns up and he gives her a Book of Mormon and a ride home.
The next day he saw her again and offered her another ride.
He hasn't seen her since.

That's it!

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Robin Hood wrote: July 10th, 2017, 3:01 am I just looked at the July magazine online. One story really stood out as an example of what I mean.
I guy in England driving to church sees a woman on the side of the road. Offers her a ride. Drops her off near the chapel (she was going somewhere nearby) and says if she comes back 3 hours later he'll give her a ride back. She turns up and he gives her a Book of Mormon and a ride home.
The next day he saw her again and offered her another ride.
He hasn't seen her since.

That's it!
That's because, convinced of the truthfulness of the Gospel, she sells everything, moves to Utah, joins the Church, marries in the temple (St. George, after some dead ol' king in England) and lives happily ever after. Of course he hasn't seen her since.

Arandur
captain of 100

Post by Arandur »

Quite a bit of fluff, but plenty of gems scattered amidst the fluff for those who are willing to look for them. Often, I find that the most precious ones are actually in the "fluff" articles.

But yeah, no need for a subscription in any case. I'd just use gospel library or find them online.