"The Video" Poll

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

How would your congregation respond to a pro-gay marriage speech during Fast and Testimony meeting?

Half the audience would applaud; half would be mortified.
19%
The members would react like the people of Ammon (Alma 30:19-21) and remove her from the building.
5%
The members would be thrilled to receive her and cheer her testimony.
3%
The members would treat it like a visiting High Council member's talk and keep snoring.
5%
The members would be in an appalled silence and sit there like stunned rabbits.
51%
The native members would be shocked; our liberal member summer vacationers would be pleased.
16%

Total votes: 37
iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

"The Video" Poll

Post by iWriteStuff »

By now, most of us have seen "the video" posted on the other thread. If not, treat yourself to some abomination here: https://youtu.be/o_0nhyP6dU4

The question at hand is how your congregation would respond. If you could, please share your general location and response in the comments.

Ok, modified it....
Last edited by iWriteStuff on June 20th, 2017, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Re: "The Video" Poll

Post by iWriteStuff »

oh, and southern Colorado.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

SE Idaho, survey needed another option, she wouldn't be carried out. If it was in the summer our visitors might accept her talk more openly. If it was the rest of the year the locals would sit there in stunned silence, shock, waiting for the bishop to do something. While I would consider this a good time for a drink of water.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Older/wiser? wrote: June 20th, 2017, 7:45 am SE Idaho, survey needed another option, she wouldn't be carried out. If it was in the summer our visitors might accept her talk more openly. If it was the rest of the year the locals would sit there in stunned silence, shock, waiting for the bishop to do something. While I would consider this a good time for a drink of water.
Sorry, I failed to take seasonality into account. I suppose my intent was to focus more on the indigenous ward, not so much visiting/vacationing members. From whence cometh your visitors? San Francisco?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

There wasn't a poll option I could click.
In my ward we would nearly all be utterly appalled, but we're English and wouldn't say anything.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Robin Hood wrote: June 20th, 2017, 7:52 am There wasn't a poll option I could click.
In my ward we would nearly all be utterly appalled, but we're English and wouldn't say anything.
fine, fine, two more options added. The unfortunate thing is it resets the poll, but since there were only two votes....

Thanks for the suggestion.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Not "remove from building". Just politely ask her to return to her seat. If she didn't comply, I would bear testimony of the Plan of Salvation alongside her focusing on the eternal nature of souls. Long after the incident was forgotten by the rest of us, she would still be alive and contemplating her choices while winding her way through this mortal coil.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

iWriteStuff wrote: June 20th, 2017, 7:49 am
Older/wiser? wrote: June 20th, 2017, 7:45 am SE Idaho, survey needed another option, she wouldn't be carried out. If it was in the summer our visitors might accept her talk more openly. If it was the rest of the year the locals would sit there in stunned silence, shock, waiting for the bishop to do something. While I would consider this a good time for a drink of water.
Sorry, I failed to take seasonality into account. I suppose my intent was to focus more on the indigenous ward, not so much visiting/vacationing members. From whence cometh your visitors? San Francisco?
Oh the poll was fine , Salt Lake and surrounding areas. This is the Bear Lake Valley. Farmers, cattle ranchers, but I have noticed a change in the younger generation, they are more liberal and more accepting of different lifestyles, so I would think many would just want to be open and accepting. 3 weeks ago we had 1,300. In our sacrament meeting, and it was the second meeting to accommodate our guesses, only one ward meets in our building. We have a lot of 2nd home vacation people, I truly love the diversity they bring.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Older/wiser? wrote: June 20th, 2017, 9:27 am Oh the poll was fine , Salt Lake and surrounding areas. This is the Bear Lake Valley. Farmers, cattle ranchers, but I have noticed a change in the younger generation, they are more liberal and more accepting of different lifestyles, so I would think many would just want to be open and accepting. 3 weeks ago we had 1,300. In our sacrament meeting, and it was the second meeting to accommodate our guesses, only one ward meets in our building. We have a lot of 2nd home vacation people, I truly love the diversity they bring.
I wonder where the socially liberal aspect of Mormon cultures comes from. I do know that SLC has been swarmed with LGBTXYZ people over the last few decades. Kinda seems like a full assault on the last stronghold of Christian morality...
"For All We Have And Are"

BY RUDYARD KIPLING

For all we have and are,
For all our children's fate,
Stand up and take the war.
The Hun is at the gate!

Our world has passed away,
In wantonness o'erthrown.
There is nothing left to-day
But steel and fire and stone!
Though all we knew depart,
The old Commandments stand:—
"In courage kept your heart,
In strength lift up your hand."

Once more we hear the word
That sickened earth of old:—
"No law except the Sword
Unsheathed and uncontrolled."
Once more it knits mankind,
Once more the nations go
To meet and break and bind
A crazed and driven foe.

Comfort, content, delight,
The ages' slow-bought gain,
They shrivelled in a night.
Only ourselves remain
To face the naked days
In silent fortitude,
Through perils and dismays
Renewed and re-renewed.
Though all we made depart,
The old Commandments stand:—
"In patience keep your heart,
In strength lift up your hand."

No easy hope or lies
Shall bring us to our goal,
But iron sacrifice
Of body, will, and soul.
There is but one task for all—
One life for each to give.
What stands if Freedom fall?
Who dies if England live?

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

Times they are a changin, people are too. Everyone done went the way of the world. Many Mormons today have lost their testimonies because of "Joe's wives" or the treatment of blacks or gays and just go to church to keep up appearances or because they like the social scene. Many go to make their other half happy. Many converts dont know much about the gospel, they were baptized into what they thought was a "lovely social scene". I dont find it surprising at all that many "so called" Mormons see nothing wrong with homosexuality.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

Half applaud, half mortified. I mean, they wouldn't
actually
applaud. But they'd be her new best friends in the foyer. Heart of Utah County. Lots of students means false doctrine regularly gets preached from a pulpit or classroom, but most of us have learned to ignore it. In a classroom setting it gets corrected quickly, in sacrament the bishopric member will say...something...before the closing song. But nothing this extreme and blatant has been said yet. My favorite was the girl who bore her testimony of Orson Scott Card and compared his writing to that of a prophet. Good times.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Yahtzee wrote: June 21st, 2017, 12:51 am Half applaud, half mortified. I mean, they wouldn't
actually
applaud. But they'd be her new best friends in the foyer. Heart of Utah County. Lots of students means false doctrine regularly gets preached from a pulpit or classroom, but most of us have learned to ignore it. In a classroom setting it gets corrected quickly, in sacrament the bishopric member will say...something...before the closing song. But nothing this extreme and blatant has been said yet. My favorite was the girl who bore her testimony of Orson Scott Card and compared his writing to that of a prophet. Good times.
Ha! You must be in my old ward in Provo! Provo Central Stake?

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

iWriteStuff wrote: June 20th, 2017, 10:35 am
I wonder where the socially liberal aspect of Mormon cultures comes from.

Two words: public. school.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

Michelle wrote: June 21st, 2017, 5:08 pm
Yahtzee wrote: June 21st, 2017, 12:51 am Half applaud, half mortified. I mean, they wouldn't
actually
Ha! You must be in my old ward in Provo! Provo Central Stake?
Almost. We're close. :ymapplause:

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

I have known a few people who would reacted like this:

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Joel wrote: June 22nd, 2017, 1:50 pm I have known a few people who would reacted like this:

2 things come to mind... #-o and =))