your thoughts on this video?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
cappaccio
captain of 100

your thoughts on this video?

Post by cappaccio »

I feel bad for this girl. I don't judge her. I don't agree with her. However, I'm not sure cutting off the mic was appropriate.

Your thoughts?

[youtube]https://youtu.be/o_0nhyP6dU4[/youtube]

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: your thoughts on this video?

Post by marc »

I happened to catch this elsewhere, too. I don't agree with her, but I certainly will not judge her either. Why judge others when you can love them instead? Whatever choices they make is between them and God. But how you judge them is how God will judge you. And so far, the only sinless person ever to walk this earth was God. So nobody is safe from judgment. But all are shown mercy who show mercy and all are loved who show love. But there are certainly those who do not believe the eleventh article of faith.
11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

She wasn't bearing her testimony, she was reading a prepared statement.
The only thing the presiding brethren did wrong was to leave it so long before they intervened and asked her to sit down.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

This was a political statement, not a testimony.

I get tired of people using places where there is a captive audience for their own selfish ends. I have had similar experiences at graduation ceremonies.

If you want to share your testimony of the Gospel then do so. If you want to preach your social science religion over the pulpit, go somewhere else.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

In addition, they let her speak until she started preaching same-sex marriage as a doctrine of God.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Bet she is in public school. The indoctrination being taught there will only become worse.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

I totally disagree with her stance on gay marriage, and her parents for what must surely have been encouragement to go up and give this statement. But I think I would have let her finish, for no other reason than an expression of love and understanding for a child who has to grapple with something I will never have to. And besides, this isn't the first time false doctrine has been preached from the pulpit, and certainly won't be the last.

If I were the bishop or in the stake presidency there, I think I would have felt it necessary to say something at the end of testimony meeting, but I would hope she would leave church that day feeling loved because of what I said. After all, even straight TBM people don't like to be told they're wrong.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

marc wrote: June 15th, 2017, 4:15 pm I happened to catch this elsewhere, too. I don't agree with her, but I certainly will not judge her either. Why judge others when you can love them instead? Whatever choices they make is between them and God. But how you judge them is how God will judge you. And so far, the only sinless person ever to walk this earth was God. So nobody is safe from judgment. But all are shown mercy who show mercy and all are loved who show love. But there are certainly those who do not believe the eleventh article of faith.
11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
But we can certainly judge her actions, that this is not right.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

ZZZZZZZ
Why would you do this at an LDS church?
https://www.lds.org/liahona/2015/01/you ... m?lang=eng

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

cappaccio wrote: June 15th, 2017, 4:06 pm I feel bad for this girl. I don't judge her. I don't agree with her. However, I'm not sure cutting off the mic was appropriate.

Your thoughts?

[youtube]https://youtu.be/o_0nhyP6dU4[/youtube]
Wow. I felt a darkness with that! And I believe the Bishop should have cut her off sooner.

She's perfect the way she is? We have been taught by our prophets that if we were perfect, we could not be on this telestial planet. She was right in saying there's nothing wrong with being a lesbian, but she strayed very far from the truth when she expressed her "testimony" that the church members should accept her homosexual relationships. And she strayed at many other points.

The person recording this obviously knew they were doing something wrong in the way they tried to hide the camera so it wouldn't be obvious or even noticed by the Bishopric. This wasn't a testimony. This was a personal manifesto of what she wants to believe, what she may have convinced herself is true, but is a great falsehoodd

And Cappaccio, next time you can remove the https://youtu.be/ part of the URL. If you only had the part after the last / then the video would play in this page without a need to jump to YouTube.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

This poor girl was being used to promote an agenda. Why else was she reading a prepared statement as a testimony? It was all being filmed for the purpose of trying to embarrass the church into changing it's doctrine. Pathetic.
Last edited by DesertWonderer on June 16th, 2017, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Inappropriate on so many levels, truly did bring darkness into a meeting that should be about the Savior. Not to justify her future as a lesbian. Is it just me or does this world seemed to have flipped upside down, evil is good and just , good is wrong and judgmental. The bishop was caught off guard, the spirit gone and yes a child was used to deceive other children and disarm adults.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

And why was it being filmed?
Clearly she had some fellow conspirators.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

h_p wrote: June 15th, 2017, 5:15 pm I totally disagree with her stance on gay marriage, and her parents for what must surely have been encouragement to go up and give this statement. But I think I would have let her finish, for no other reason than an expression of love and understanding for a child who has to grapple with something I will never have to. And besides, this isn't the first time false doctrine has been preached from the pulpit, and certainly won't be the last.

If I were the bishop or in the stake presidency there, I think I would have felt it necessary to say something at the end of testimony meeting, but I would hope she would leave church that day feeling loved because of what I said. After all, even straight TBM people don't like to be told they're wrong.
You have a charitable heart h_p. This poor young girl was used by whoever encouraged her to stand up and read her statement. I'm sure the adult behind the camera knew the public humiliation that awaited her. Shame on them for injuring that innocent child in this way. She will probably never be back to Church again.

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS
captain of 100

Post by I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS »

Robin Hood wrote: June 16th, 2017, 2:29 am And why was it being filmed?
Clearly she had some fellow conspirators.
If you look at the YouTube channel of the guy who posted it, he's a bitter anti-Mormon who took videos of the temple ceremony, and "undercover" videos of himself greeting people at Church and saying the prayer in Sacrament meeting.

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

I CAN'T STAND THAT YOUTUBE CHANNEL!

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Older/wiser? wrote: June 16th, 2017, 12:03 am Inappropriate on so many levels, truly did bring darkness into a meeting that should be about the Savior. Not to justify her future as a lesbian. Is it just me or does this world seemed to have flipped upside down, evil is good and just , good is wrong and judgmental. The bishop was caught off guard, the spirit gone and yes a child was used to deceive other children and disarm adults.
The scriptures repeatedly prophesy that in the last days good will be called evil and evil will be called good. What you are describing, what we all are observing, is fulfillment of prophecy.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

brianj wrote: June 16th, 2017, 10:00 pm
Older/wiser? wrote: June 16th, 2017, 12:03 am Inappropriate on so many levels, truly did bring darkness into a meeting that should be about the Savior. Not to justify her future as a lesbian. Is it just me or does this world seemed to have flipped upside down, evil is good and just , good is wrong and judgmental. The bishop was caught off guard, the spirit gone and yes a child was used to deceive other children and disarm adults.
The scriptures repeatedly prophesy that in the last days good will be called evil and evil will be called good. What you are describing, what we all are observing, is fulfillment of prophecy.

Were I her Bishop I would call her parents into my office ASAP and find out what the heck was going on in that home. This young girl is being used as a pawn to evangelize an anti Christ and anti family agenda. That is not welcome in a fast and testimony sacrament meeting setting. That is seriously messed up. I smell a rat in that home.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

"I believe God would tell me if I was wrong."
Hmmm...That's very unlike the Holy Ghost to remain silent when people need him most. :-? :-\

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Cookies wrote: June 17th, 2017, 10:39 am "I believe God would tell me if I was wrong."
Hmmm...That's very unlike the Holy Ghost to remain silent when people need him most. :-? :-\
We need to ask in faith and with real intent, then we need to honestly look for an answer. When someone decides the church is wrong and they are right, they do not ask with real intent.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Like this was not a set up.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

She may not even be a member of that ward, again leaving the bishop unfamiliar with her and the family.. we have lots of people bare testimonies from other areas in the summer. Does look like a setup.

Different
captain of 100

Post by Different »

Homosexuality is an abomination and whoredom before the father.

The Bishop should have made that clear.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

brianj wrote: June 17th, 2017, 2:56 pm
Cookies wrote: June 17th, 2017, 10:39 am "I believe God would tell me if I was wrong."
We need to ask in faith and with real intent, then we need to honestly look for an answer. When someone decides the church is wrong and they are right, they do not ask with real intent.
What if someone decides the church is right, and they are wrong? Is that asking with real intent?

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

If the bishop had launched into the abomination of homosexuality he would be attacked because the one expressing this opinion was a child! It's a no win situation. Face it, a bishop is just one of us and being so caught off guard I can understand just closing . We can all watch the video over a few times and say Yup stop it here or I would do this, but a child just leaves you going ????? What would I do if I was in the audience, sorry I would get up and leave, this is the Saviors time , not a platform to justify , explain why sin is Ok. Maybe we all should decide what we would do as it seems this type of thing is becoming more in your face.