Missionary Farewell Song Ideas

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
KerriM
captain of 50

Missionary Farewell Song Ideas

Post by KerriM »

I know we don't really do "Missionary Farewells" anymore, but my daughter is leaving on a mission and they've asked me to sing in church on that Sunday. I would like to sing something mission related, or maybe just Christ centered, however I do not want to sing a hymn for this one. Any ideas? Any new songs that someone can suggest that would be appropriate?

And, she's going to the Philippines, Angeles mission in August.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: Missionary Farewell Song Ideas

Post by brianj »

God Be With You, hymn 152, comes to mind.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I like Follow the Prophet, I never get to hear it enough.
I don't know if it's right for this occasion, tho'.
My other two favorites are still Come Come Ye Saints, and Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel.
dc

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

"Back in the day" when my brother's went on missions, there were several great "missionary" songs. Sadly those are not really approved of now. I know our stake is pretty strict on songs that are approved for sacrament meeting. Still there are many amazing and awesome arrangements of hymns that would work really well. (look at anything Mack Wilberg has arranged or another former MoTAB choir director Donald Riplinger has done.)

Although not hymns, I know they are ok, what about "My Shepard Will Supply my Need", an amazing arrangement by Mack Wilberg. It is beautiful!!!!! Every time I hear it, a sense of calm rushes over me and it brings tears to my eyes. Or what about "This is The Christ" words by President James E. Faust, another powerful one?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

"O Divine Redeemer" was sung recently in my ward, and is sung by MoTab all the time.

KerriM
captain of 50

Post by KerriM »

Thank you everyone for your ideas.

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

KerriM wrote: June 13th, 2017, 9:58 pm I know we don't really do "Missionary Farewells" anymore, but my daughter is leaving on a mission and they've asked me to sing in church on that Sunday. I would like to sing something mission related, or maybe just Christ centered, however I do not want to sing a hymn for this one. Any ideas? Any new songs that someone can suggest that would be appropriate?

And, she's going to the Philippines, Angeles mission in August.
Good Luck I served in Philippines! ingat sa mga paniki

"Sons of Michael" . Tagumpay!

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

And here is a rather unusual idea: Land of the Morning which is the national anthem of the Philippines. There is Spanish, English and Tagalog versions. http://tagaloglang.com/national-anthem- ... h-version/

KerriM
captain of 50

Post by KerriM »

Thanks for the link gkearney. It gives us some more fun things to look at. My family enjoyed that. It would crack me up if we sang it, but since we're supposed to be reverent, I will pass.

I think I'm leaning towards the songs, Consider the Lilies, or Feed My Lambs. But those are "old" songs, Oh well. I love to learn and hear new songs, but I have found that some people really only like to hear what they are familiar with, or they don't really enjoy them. My dad likes to complain about that, so I hear it in my head sometimes.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

KerriM wrote: June 30th, 2017, 2:51 pm Thanks for the link gkearney. It gives us some more fun things to look at. My family enjoyed that. It would crack me up if we sang it, but since we're supposed to be reverent, I will pass.
You can bet they have that song pasted into the back of the English and Spanish hymnbooks there. Just as the Australians have pasted "Advance Australia Fair" into the backs of their hymnbooks