Are there enough Ozzies out there, or have we become too wimpy as a society ?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Are there enough Ozzies out there, or have we become too wimpy as a society ?

Post by Silver »

Give them people some S&W freedom.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Are there enough Ozzies out there, or have we become too wimpy as a society ?

Post by Robin Hood »

I think we all like to think we'd do what Ozzy did. However, who knows how they would react in the heat of the moment.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Robin Hood wrote: June 5th, 2017, 8:03 am I think we all like to think we'd do what Ozzy did. However, who knows how they would react in the heat of the moment.
Nothing personal here RH but it seems to me that the vast majority of the people there did not want to think and do what he did, but rather ran away. Of course, with an oppressive regime that doesn't allow citizens to defend themselves none of them could have (legally) had the one tool with which to defend themselves.
At least here, in some areas, we know that there would be many people with the necessary tool, which would guarantee their ability to contain a situation like this, without injury to themselves, and without running for half an hour or so til police arrived, which police may also have no ability and tools to handle the situation.
dc

In fact, have there not already been several such incidents here recently which ended rather quickly? Correct me if I'm wrong on that. Of course, they won't get any publicity, so many of you may know nothing about that.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Robin Hood,

It is true that we don't know what we actually will do when the SHTF, however, having principles to attain to is a good start. I don't know how far this reaches into the world, but this is what British police tell British citizens to do

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ist-attack

Not exactly John Wayne!

Regards,

George Clay

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

David13 wrote: June 5th, 2017, 8:23 am
Robin Hood wrote: June 5th, 2017, 8:03 am I think we all like to think we'd do what Ozzy did. However, who knows how they would react in the heat of the moment.
Nothing personal here RH but it seems to me that the vast majority of the people there did not want to think and do what he did, but rather ran away. Of course, with an oppressive regime that doesn't allow citizens to defend themselves none of them could have (legally) had the one tool with which to defend themselves.
At least here, in some areas, we know that there would be many people with the necessary tool, which would guarantee their ability to contain a situation like this, without injury to themselves, and without running for half an hour or so til police arrived, which police may also have no ability and tools to handle the situation.
dc

In fact, have there not already been several such incidents here recently which ended rather quickly? Correct me if I'm wrong on that. Of course, they won't get any publicity, so many of you may know nothing about that.
The right to defend ourselves is enshrined in British law.
But the human instinct is to fight or flight. I don't blame anyone for running away from danger. I suspect you would too.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

gclayjr wrote: June 5th, 2017, 8:50 am

Not exactly John Wayne!

John Wayne was an actor.
This is not Hollywood.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Robin Hood,

Yea, but I don't think it says much about the manliness, or individual virtue, if the instructions from the government is RUN, HIDE, TELL

How many more might have been killed if Ozzie Ran, Hid, and then told about all those who were murdered that he didn't save!

I don't want to diminish what Ozzie did, because I think maybe we need more Ozzies, but he just threw things at guys that just had knives. Not quite the same as running into gunfire. I suppose I still don't know if I would do the same thing, in the same situation, but at least I hope I would.

Regards,

George Clay

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Robin Hood wrote: June 5th, 2017, 11:30 am
David13 wrote: June 5th, 2017, 8:23 am
dc

The right to defend ourselves is enshrined in British law.
But the human instinct is to fight or flight. I don't blame anyone for running away from danger. I suspect you would too.

So you peg me as a Run Hide Tell sort, huh? I don't know where you get that from, but ...
i doubt if it's my posts here.

Anyway, no that is not human instinct. That's coward's instinct. Or I suppose you could say woman's instinct.
I know quite a few men who would run toward the danger, particularly where their friends, family, neighbors were in danger. Just sort of like the man mentioned in the story.

I seriously doubt if he's your typical Brit, tho'.
Let's look at the official government position. Run. Hide. Tell.

I would define that as institutionalized cowardliness.

What does an ostrich supposedly do when confronted with danger?
dc

GEORGE CLAY
I have to ask you here if your question is "we" have "we" become too wimpy, or has Britain, or Europe become too wimpy?

Robin Hood
I also have to ask you, do you know what "Stand Your Ground" laws are? They only exist here in the United States, and only then in only some states, as far as I know.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

David13,

You were nested in the quote. I was not making any accusation of you. I think both Europe and the US have become too wimpy. I just think maybe Europe is further down that path than we are.

We do have a larger, vocal minority, like you who believe in self reliance, self defense and a more manly view of of men's role in this world than is popularized by the "Pajama boys" of today, here in the U.S.

However we do have our pajama boys of today.

And I do think that it does say something when your own government actually instructs you to RUN and HIDE when confronted with somebody slashing and killing your fellow citizens

Regards,

George Clay

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I think you'll find a number of people fought back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40149836

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Robin Hood,

Glad to know that there are even more who are not following the police guidelines to run and hide.

I guess there real question is are these representatives of the average British/European men, or are they just noteworthy exceptions?

You might know that better than I do.

Regards,

George Clay

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

gclayjr wrote: June 6th, 2017, 5:41 am David13,

You were nested in the quote. I was not making any accusation of you.

Regards,

George Clay
I was looking at this rhetorically, not personally. I have my own ...

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Ozzie's actions were brave! Kudos for him and all the others who acted the same. The majority ran and you are right, I don't blame them. As for me, I would have sent my family running away and then I would have attacked.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

mirkwood wrote: June 6th, 2017, 9:48 am
Ozzie's actions were brave! Kudos for him and all the others who acted the same. The majority ran and you are right, I don't blame them. As for me, I would have sent my family running away and then I would have attacked.
I would like to think I would do that, but I won't ever know until I am faced with such a situation.
I hope I never will be.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Robin Hood wrote: June 5th, 2017, 11:31 am
gclayjr wrote: June 5th, 2017, 8:50 am

Not exactly John Wayne!

John Wayne was an actor.
This is not Hollywood.
AH-OH, you crossed the line on that one Pilgrim,

"John Wayne, in his day, reminded us that men can be men,
women can be women,
and Commies were afraid to come out and play."