It is still a killer.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

It is still a killer.

Post by Fiannan »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ajor-study
People who are obese run an increased risk of heart failure and stroke even if they appear healthy, without the obvious warning signs such as high blood pressure or diabetes, according to a major new study.

The findings, presented at the European Congress on Obesity in Porto, Portugal, may be the final death knell for the claim that it is possible to be obese but still metabolically healthy – or “fat but fit” – say scientists.
Word of Wisdom:
To those who keep the Word of Wisdom, the Lord promised:

“All saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;

And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;

And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.

And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them” (D&C 89:18-21).
Apparently staying fit not only protects one from health dangers but also provides spiritual benefits.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Re: It is still a killer.

Post by Rose Garden »

I'm sceptical of this study. We get information all the time about "experts" fudging facts in order to promote specific perspectives. They are using the BMI as a measure for obesity which doesn't really tell you whether a person is obese or a body builder. I believe a lot of harm comes from focusing on weight instead of healthy life practices such as eating right, exercising, and living in ways that promote happiness. Weight is a very poor measure of health.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Meili wrote: May 17th, 2017, 8:50 am I'm sceptical of this study. We get information all the time about "experts" fudging facts in order to promote specific perspectives. They are using the BMI as a measure for obesity which doesn't really tell you whether a person is obese or a body builder. I believe a lot of harm comes from focusing on weight instead of healthy life practices such as eating right, exercising, and living in ways that promote happiness. Weight is a very poor measure of health.
I doubt any credible research would use a BMI calculation which merely looks at height and weight. There are better ways to determine obesity so if the researchers say that they are studying obese individuals then they are indeed obese. Besides, if a medical report lists obesity as part of the morbidity statistics then the doctors or coroners can probably recognize the condition.

Sure, one can be happy and be a smoker or drinker but it is still an important factor that affects health, just as obesity which is as dangerous if not more so.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Fiannan wrote: May 17th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Meili wrote: May 17th, 2017, 8:50 am I'm sceptical of this study. We get information all the time about "experts" fudging facts in order to promote specific perspectives. They are using the BMI as a measure for obesity which doesn't really tell you whether a person is obese or a body builder. I believe a lot of harm comes from focusing on weight instead of healthy life practices such as eating right, exercising, and living in ways that promote happiness. Weight is a very poor measure of health.
I doubt any credible research would use a BMI calculation which merely looks at height and weight. There are better ways to determine obesity so if the researchers say that they are studying obese individuals then they are indeed obese. Besides, if a medical report lists obesity as part of the morbidity statistics then the doctors or coroners can probably recognize the condition.

Sure, one can be happy and be a smoker or drinker but it is still an important factor that affects health, just as obesity which is as dangerous if not more so.
The report justifies the use of the BMI. I'm pretty sure that is what they used as their determining factor, unless it says otherwise somewhere.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

We've had this discussion before, everyone is different and I also question the study. If you aren't obese why do you worry about it, because you don't like obese people or you really care about them?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

eddie wrote: May 17th, 2017, 2:43 pm We've had this discussion before, everyone is different and I also question the study. If you aren't obese why do you worry about it, because you don't like obese people or you really care about them?
Yes, everyone is different, some smoke, some drink, some have unprotected sex, some are obese.

It is public health issue #1 and it has spiritual ramifications as well if we believe the WofW.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Fiannan wrote: May 17th, 2017, 9:09 pm
eddie wrote: May 17th, 2017, 2:43 pm We've had this discussion before, everyone is different and I also question the study. If you aren't obese why do you worry about it, because you don't like obese people or you really care about them?
Yes, everyone is different, some smoke, some drink, some have unprotected sex, some are obese.

It is public health issue #1 and it has spiritual ramifications as well if we believe the WofW.
It is good advice to obey the Word of Wisdom, it's also good advice to not judge, or choose one particular subject over and over again. Obesity can be a result of many things, i.e. emotional issues such as abuse, it can be metabolic, like it or not, genetics, and yes, overeating.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

eddie wrote: May 17th, 2017, 9:34 pm
Fiannan wrote: May 17th, 2017, 9:09 pm

It is good advice to obey the Word of Wisdom, it's also good advice to not judge, or choose one particular subject over and over again. Obesity can be a result of many things, i.e. emotional issues such as abuse, it can be metabolic, like it or not, genetics, and yes, overeating.
And the laws of biology still apply in regards to heart disease, stroke, increased risk of stroke and diabetes. I knew a guy who had a extremely high level of cholesterol, so much so that his doctor told him he needed to compensate or he would likely die. He ran, biked and I believe he eventually became a tri-athlete. Obesity is far more dangerous than occasional drinking or hitting a bong.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Losing weight isn't easy, I wanted to lose 10 lbs this year, only 13 to go!