Ether's Avenue

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Re: Ether's Avenue

Post by iWriteStuff »

chooseright.jpg
chooseright.jpg (37.78 KiB) Viewed 1420 times

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Hey, even Joseph Smith saw this coming:
trumpday.jpg
trumpday.jpg (45.27 KiB) Viewed 1396 times

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

iWriteStuff wrote: June 9th, 2017, 1:43 pm Hey, even Joseph Smith saw this coming:

trumpday.jpg
I'm the Gospel Doctrine teacher in my ward. Last week we studied the 2nd Coming and the reading material for that chapter in the manual includes Section 29. I promised myself if we read that verse in class that instead of asking for a reader, I would take it and substitute "tuba" in the appropriate place.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

"However political parties may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."
- George Washington, Farewell Address

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

iWriteStuff wrote: June 9th, 2017, 1:43 pm Hey, even Joseph Smith saw this coming:

trumpday.jpg

Several resembles Seven as Few resembles Four or Five. Several resembles Long as Few resembles Short. Therefore a long time is Seven or more years.

Or in this case, precisely 7 in keeping with time periods typical of feast and/or famine. Image

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

BeNotDeceived wrote: June 12th, 2017, 10:14 am

trumpday.jpg

Several resembles Seven as Few resembles Four or Five. Several resembles Long as Few resembles Short. Therefore a long time is Seven or more years.

Or in this case, precisely 7 in keeping with time periods typical of feast and/or famine. Image
I'm fairly certain you're trying to say something profound, but I'm just not getting it. Are our 7 years of famine over or just beginning? Or are you of the opinion that a feast is at hand?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Here is a direct link to an earlier post

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6189&p=780086#p780086

Must go now; more info to follow. :)

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

BeNotDeceived wrote: June 12th, 2017, 3:55 pm Here is a direct link to an earlier post

I admire your bravery in putting numbers out there.... I somewhat doubt the premise that 7 years of feast are what we will get with Trump, but time will tell I suppose. No need to burden anyone with my lengthy economic opinion on the matter. It will be what it will be. The question is whether you are prepared for it to go the other direction. Can you endure a famine?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

iWriteStuff wrote: June 13th, 2017, 7:29 am
BeNotDeceived wrote: June 12th, 2017, 3:55 pm Here is a direct link to an earlier post

I admire your bravery in putting numbers out there.... I somewhat doubt the premise that 7 years of feast are what we will get with Trump, but time will tell I suppose. No need to burden anyone with my lengthy economic opinion on the matter. It will be what it will be. The question is whether you are prepared for it to go the other direction. Can you endure a famine?
For a time I would often engage Christians in online forums and frequently their definition of words were different. One day I was writing something and needed to decide if a certain quantity of things was best described as several or few. Several and Seven start with the same four letters and generally fits common usage.

Your "Long Trump" caption unexpectedly connected a name. Long too is a loosely defined word that is often used i.e. one of the morning news reports mentioned a "Long Silence" by the Attorney General. Four seconds is the standard silence between songs when making audio recordings where a long silence is not desired. So a long silence is more than four seconds and seven years looks to fit with what is described as a long (Donald) Trump. Prolly an over analysis of common terms, but it's just a way to present an idea that may prove more useful in similar scenarios.

Oftentimes we expect spectacular occurrences, when really me must distinguish imagery from the background noise as President Faust described when he spoke of using a crystal to tune a radio to a specific frequency. Presidents serve 4 or 8 year terms, but it takes about 100 days for their policies to go into effect and they go lame-duck when the selection of the next president begins, so really a two term presidents period of influence is approximately 7 years.

I'll create a direct link for this post as a way to link posts that are located on separate threads. Others may find this a helpful technique and capturing the direct link is really easy, just copy the URL from your browser address bar when you submit your post. Once copied you can paste the link by editing your post.

Here is the direct link to this post Image
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45437&p=788165#p788165

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

iWriteStuff wrote: June 13th, 2017, 7:29 am

Likely my location won't be affected by a shortage of food, but being on a tropical island we're dependent on delivery of diesel fuel, hence my heightened interest in OTEC, which could also supply fresh water in the event of drought. Image

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution."
- John Adams
Smart guy, that Adams....

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

"If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power."
DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER, speech, March 6, 1956
Is this still true?
Last edited by iWriteStuff on June 15th, 2017, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

"Political language -- and with variations this is true of all political parties, from Conservatives to Anarchists -- is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind."
GEORGE ORWELL, Politics and the English Language
Did you think 1984 applies only to communist takeovers?

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

"The morality of a [political] party must grow out of the conscience and the participation of the voters."
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Where is the conscience of the voters?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

The great tragedy of the American political scene is the great division among the people while those at the top are working in concert. Hence, we have strong Red Team vs Blue Team rivalries yet our indebtedness and slavery proceed in one direction -- to the bad. Government control of everything.

Case in point, Michelle just posted this:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45749#p788598

I will start with this quote because I saw someone deny the other day that such an idea had ever even been proposed.

Page 127

Lamar Alexander November 1989 Kansas Education Conference

"I would think the brand new American school would be open year round-open from 6 a.m. until 6 p.m. A second characterization might be that these schools would serve children from 3 months to 18 years of age. A shocking thought to you-but if you were to do an inventory of every baby in your community and think about the needs of those babies for the next four or five years, you might see that those needs might not be served in any other way-they have to be served in some way-and maybe around the school. Or if you study a little more, you might go back to think the school might need to serve the pregnant mother of the baby in terms of prenatal care.

After making the speech, Alexander was named U.S. Secretary of Education by President George Bush."

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Silver wrote: June 15th, 2017, 2:38 pm The great tragedy of the American political scene is the great division among the people while those at the top are working in concert. Hence, we have strong Red Team vs Blue Team rivalries yet our indebtedness and slavery proceed in one direction -- to the bad. Government control of everything.

Case in point, Michelle just posted this:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45749#p788598

I will start with this quote because I saw someone deny the other day that such an idea had ever even been proposed.

Page 127

Lamar Alexander November 1989 Kansas Education Conference

"I would think the brand new American school would be open year round-open from 6 a.m. until 6 p.m. A second characterization might be that these schools would serve children from 3 months to 18 years of age. A shocking thought to you-but if you were to do an inventory of every baby in your community and think about the needs of those babies for the next four or five years, you might see that those needs might not be served in any other way-they have to be served in some way-and maybe around the school. Or if you study a little more, you might go back to think the school might need to serve the pregnant mother of the baby in terms of prenatal care.

After making the speech, Alexander was named U.S. Secretary of Education by President George Bush."
Silver, thou hast hit upon a point!
"The bosses of the Democratic party and the bosses of the Republican party alike have a closer grip than ever before on the party machines in the States and in the Nation. This crooked control of both the old parties by the beneficiaries of political and business privilege renders it hopeless to expect any far-reaching and fundamental service from either."
- Theodore Roosevelt, The Outlook, July 27, 1912
Two parties, one head. Or is it many heads?

We will not escape the trap of false dichotomy by voting for the same two parties that are connected to the same head.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

"The person who uncritically embraces any party line is guilty of an idolatrous surrender of her core identity.... Neither liberal fairy dust nor conservative hardball addresses our ragged human dignity."
- Brennan Manning

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

iWriteStuff wrote: June 16th, 2017, 8:16 am
"The person who uncritically embraces any party line is guilty of an idolatrous surrender of her core identity.... Neither liberal fairy dust nor conservative hardball addresses our ragged human dignity."
- Brennan Manning
Here's the corollary to that:
If you see in any given situation only what everybody else can see, you can be said to be so much a representative of your culture that you are a victim of it. S. I. Hayakawa
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quot ... 53503.html

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

"Latter-day Saints in every country should be good citizens, participate in civic affairs, educate themselves on the issues, and vote. Our primary emphasis, however, should always be to make any necessary sacrifices to protect our own family and the rising generation."
- Elder Quentin L. Cook

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

just because I'm feeling nostalgic today....
choosetheT.jpg
choosetheT.jpg (11.14 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

gutless.jpg
gutless.jpg (70.31 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

^^^ Oh, man, that's classic. ^^^

On the other thread, I'm told to tone down my rhetoric. Yet the treason committed by politicians on both sides of the aisle is on full display for he whose eyes are open.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Silver wrote: June 21st, 2017, 3:28 pm ^^^ Oh, man, that's classic. ^^^

On the other thread, I'm told to tone down my rhetoric. Yet the treason committed by politicians on both sides of the aisle is on full display for he whose eyes are open.
And to think, he's not even a stranger to Utah....
Ross Carl "Rocky" Anderson (born September 9, 1951) is an American attorney and politician. He served two terms as the 33rd mayor of Salt Lake City, Utah from 2000–08. He is the Executive Director of High Road for Human Rights.[1]

Prior to serving as Mayor, he practiced law for 21 years in Salt Lake City, during which time he was listed in Best Lawyers in America...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Anderson

Awake indeed! There are people sounding the warning all around us, if we care to listen.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

"However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."
- George Washington, Farewell Address, September 19, 1796
It's never about the party - it's about the power.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

“Secret combinations flourished because, as Helaman tells us, the Gadianton robbers ‘had seduced the more part of the righteous until they had come down to believe in their works and partake of their spoils’ (Helaman 6:38)... even as today.”
- Ezra Taft Benson
Are the righteous still being seduced by the Gadianton robbers? Have we studied the Book of Mormon enough to know when we are being led astray? Do we believe in President Benson enough to take him seriously even today?