Like-minded individuals

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Like-minded individuals

Post by Silver »

Brandon Smith delivers another good article. This one on survival groups. He actually responds to reader's comments too, like this one:

"You should have contingencies for all situations and a backup place to congregate in the event that there is a breakdown in rule of law. If you are facing roving looters, you WILL group together on a single property for defense, otherwise you will be picked off one by one.

You can reclaim your property later. You cannot reclaim your life." (close quote)

See the whole article here:
http://www.alt-market.com/articles/3179 ... val-groups

iWriteStuff & Original Intent, you guys paying attention?

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Like-minded individuals

Post by lundbaek »

Having given considerable thought to this matter, I honestly think that establishing "contingencies for all situations and a backup place to congregate in the event that there is a breakdown in rule of law" will be beyond the abilities of most members of the Church. And leaving behind family members certainly will be difficult for most and impossible for many. Age and physical handicaps add to the challenges. For those and other reasons, bivouacing in and around Church properties, including chapels and temples and sharing food and other survival items may be one option that I have given thought to.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

lundbaek wrote: April 26th, 2017, 5:05 pm Having given considerable thought to this matter, I honestly think that establishing "contingencies for all situations and a backup place to congregate in the event that there is a breakdown in rule of law" will be beyond the abilities of most members of the Church. And leaving behind family members certainly will be difficult for most and impossible for many. Age and physical handicaps add to the challenges. For those and other reasons, bivouacing in and around Church properties, including chapels and temples and sharing food and other survival items may be one option that I have given thought to.
Chapter 23: “Strengthen Thy Stakes”
Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Ezra Taft Benson, (2014), 287–95

“The stakes and districts of Zion are symbolic of the holy places spoken of by the Lord where His Saints are to gather in the last days as a refuge from the storm.”

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

lundbaek wrote: April 26th, 2017, 5:05 pm Having given considerable thought to this matter, I honestly think that establishing "contingencies for all situations and a backup place to congregate in the event that there is a breakdown in rule of law" will be beyond the abilities of most members of the Church. And leaving behind family members certainly will be difficult for most and impossible for many. Age and physical handicaps add to the challenges. For those and other reasons, bivouacing in and around Church properties, including chapels and temples and sharing food and other survival items may be one option that I have given thought to.
Then what do people do when law enforcement come along and arrest people for the mishandling of food, camping on private property, polluting the air, breaking a noise ordinance, etc. Are survivalists ready for gun play if necessary? How does a survival group protect themselves from smoke grenades, tear gas and heavily shielded militarized police?
I would think that a survival group ought to be accompanied with a heavily trained militia having the ability to fight whatever comes along, and to help able bodied people to defend themselves in a variety of ways.
Can a person go to a gun fight with only a butter knife and a thick book?

There is a lot more to survival than merely setting up a big, red tent and being seen for miles like ducks in a shooting gallery.

Living quarters need to be camouflaged, camouflaged dugouts created for hiding places, perhaps a lookout tower and sentries walking posts. May sound like overkill, but if you're killed it's over.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

Silver wrote: April 26th, 2017, 5:13 pm
Chapter 23: “Strengthen Thy Stakes”
Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Ezra Taft Benson, (2014), 287–95

“The stakes and districts of Zion are symbolic of the holy places spoken of by the Lord where His Saints are to gather in the last days as a refuge from the storm.”
To be clear, what exactly do you think ETB is saying in the quote above?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

President Benson is saying that the strength of Zion is where the latter-day saints are assembled which I understand as those who eat and drink the sacrament bread and water with pure intent, who strive to follow the Savior, and who seek to be free from the blood and sins of their generation.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

OK, thanks. I just wasn't sure what point you were trying to make.