Trump Launches His Asinine Protectionist Trade Policy With Some Mega Tariffs

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Trump Launches His Asinine Protectionist Trade Policy With Some Mega Tariffs

Post by nightlight »

Silver wrote: April 26th, 2017, 12:47 pm
NIGHTLIGHT wrote: April 26th, 2017, 12:39 pm
Silver wrote: April 26th, 2017, 12:26 pm
NIGHTLIGHT wrote: April 26th, 2017, 12:17 pm

I've been reading through your post you realize that you spew the same rhetoric that liberals use and I wouldn't know because I'm surrounded by them the same language the same arguments would you rather have Hillary Clinton as president?
Would you kindly remind me to tell you someday about the invention of punctuation?
I don't mean to come of confrontational I'm sorry just surrounded by libs at work all day is Trump this Trump that
I hate to pry, but is there some reason why you continue to torture your readers here with speech text? Are you not at liberty to use your hands to type?
You have to bear with me till I get off work

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Trump Launches His Asinine Protectionist Trade Policy With Some Mega Tariffs

Post by Fiannan »

Separatist wrote: April 26th, 2017, 11:55 am
Fiannan wrote: April 26th, 2017, 10:30 am What if the USA required all products entering the nation for sale to insure that workers were given comparable conditions in their plants as American workers are given under law as well as prove they are conforming to US environmental regulations?
Do you believe in purposely lining the pockets of the few at the expense of the many?
Isn't that what globalization is all about, slave labor, environmental degradation, and greed all in the name of corporate growth and profits?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Silver wrote: April 26th, 2017, 10:57 am
Fiannan wrote: April 26th, 2017, 10:30 am What if the USA required all products entering the nation for sale to insure that workers were given comparable conditions in their plants as American workers are given under law as well as prove they are conforming to US environmental regulations?
What if your neighbors required you to raise your children the same way they're raising theirs?
If I was tying them down with chains so they could sew soccer balls that I made lots of money with then sure, that would be justifiable.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Fiannan wrote: April 26th, 2017, 1:35 pm
What if your neighbors required you to raise your children the same way they're raising theirs?
If I was tying them down with chains so they could sew soccer balls that I made lots of money with then sure, that would be justifiable.
You've never been to China have you?

Separatist
captain of 1,000

Post by Separatist »

Fiannan wrote: April 26th, 2017, 1:33 pm
Do you believe in purposely lining the pockets of the few at the expense of the many?
Isn't that what globalization is all about, slave labor, environmental degradation, and greed all in the name of corporate growth and profits?
Not really. World poverty has plummeted at an accelerated rate in the last two decades. If by slave labor you mean sweatshops, this is merely a function of the amount of capital at the populations disposal, whether markets are free, and property rights protected. All "first world" countries have been there, done that. A majority of the American population was "sweatshop labor" only 100+ yrs ago. The entire world population has been sweatshop labor for 99% of it's history. It doesn't go away with the snap of a finger, but through the slow process of capital accumulation/free markets/property rights. Their next best options are more often than not, much worse.

I suggest watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Qg5xDnNiw

Environmental degradation? Much worse in socialized nations where property was not well defined or protected. The former USSR was the worst. See Ecocide in the USSR.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Separatist wrote: April 26th, 2017, 2:12 pm
Fiannan wrote: April 26th, 2017, 1:33 pm
Not really. World poverty has plummeted at an accelerated rate in the last two decades. If by slave labor you mean sweatshops, this is merely a function of the amount of capital at the populations disposal, whether markets are free, and property rights protected. All "first world" countries have been there, done that. A majority of the American population was "sweatshop labor" only 100+ yrs ago. The entire world population has been sweatshop labor for 99% of it's history. It doesn't go away with the snap of a finger, but through the slow process of capital accumulation/free markets/property rights. Their next best options are more often than not, much worse.

I suggest watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Qg5xDnNiw

Environmental degradation? Much worse in socialized nations where property was not well defined or protected. The former USSR was the worst. See Ecocide in the USSR.
Great points. Most have likely forgotten that some of their ancestors came to America as indentured servants. Land of the free and all that notwithstanding.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Silver wrote: April 26th, 2017, 1:48 pm
I was referencing Pakistan.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Fiannan wrote: April 26th, 2017, 8:56 pm

Tell me about your travels there then.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Silver wrote: April 26th, 2017, 9:59 pm
Fiannan wrote: April 26th, 2017, 8:56 pm

Tell me about your travels there then.
Never been to Pakistan.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Trump slaps stiff 20% taxes on US homebuilders – expect higher home prices and 1,000s of construction job losses
https://www.aei.org/publication/trump-s ... ob-losses/
There are a lot of news reports today about Trump’s decision to impose stiff tariffs on American companies (homebuilders) who buy Canadian lumber, here is a sample: “Trump slaps first tariffs on Canadian lumber,” “Tariff on Canadian lumber sends a stern message,” “Trump Administration To Impose 20 Percent Tariff On Canadian Lumber,” and “Trump slaps duty on lumber from Canada.” In each case, those news reports miss a few very critical points: a) Canadian lumber doesn’t pay the tariff, b) Canadian lumber companies won’t pay the tariff, and c) American lumber-buying companies (mostly homebuilders) will pay the tariff, which will be passed along to home buyers in the form of higher new home prices. Therefore, it’s more accurate to report that Trump has just slapped stiff 20% tariffs (lumber taxes) on the American people, not Canada.
Read the rest here.