The Changing definition of words

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Serragon
captain of 1,000

The Changing definition of words

Post by Serragon »

Many words have had their definitions changed in the last few decades. The words had an agreed upon definition that would mean the same thing to everyone, regardless of who the audience was. Now, these words have no agreed upon meaning and can even mean the opposite depending upon the audience.

Some examples that come to mind:

Bullying -- used to mean repeated and unjustifiable attacks or harassment against someone weaker. Now it is used for nearly every playground situation you can think of. Even choosing not to play with someone is considered bullying by some.

Marriage -- used to mean man and woman. Now can mean many things with the definition increasing.

Gender -- Boy and Girl. Now .. who even knows?

Fascist -- used to refer to people who supported Nazi beliefs or implemented Nazi tactics. Now is used to demean anyone who doesn't support left wing causes. I have even seen people who don't support trans-genderism referred to as Fascists.

Equality -- used to mean everyone treated the same. Now means that everyone should be treated differently so that the ends are similar.

There are many others. I'd like to read your examples.

The purpose for this seems to be to change the way people think about certain ideas without actually having to present any compelling arguments. After all, who is for bullying? Who is against equality? Who likes fascists?

This insidious propaganda tactic appears to me to be used almost exclusively by the left. But I'm open to examples to change my mind.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The Changing definition of words

Post by David13 »

It's basically the same as rewriting history, the "revisionist" history that we have been seeing for many years now.
dc