Bill Nye...really? I mean, really?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Bill Nye...really? I mean, really?

Post by Fiannan »

For those who have a bit of respect for Bill Nye may I please enlighten you?

Warning: This is offensive but it presents to you the culture wars in all its abominable glory.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/socialjusti ... age_intern

Of course if you go by the corporate media he is more intelligent and innovative than Einstein, Newton, Tesla and Oppenheimer all rolled together.

or...
Last edited by Fiannan on April 26th, 2017, 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Re: Bill Nye...really? I mean, really?

Post by kittycat51 »

I loved Bill Nye when my boys were growing up, but that was before he really started opening his mouth. His true colors are now shining brightly.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

You can never go wrong with this intro though to his kids show back in the '90's... quite catchy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtVJdPfm0F8

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Col. Flagg wrote: April 25th, 2017, 1:50 pm You can never go wrong with this intro though to his kids show back in the '90's... quite catchy...

That was then, this is now.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

It's even worse than that. They actually believe NOT wanting to date a tranny means you're a sexist hater. How long until this becomes the cultural norm?

http://everydayfeminism.com/2017/04/cis ... ate-trans/

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I've never liked him, and dislike him more and more. He's trying to be the next Carl Sagan, I think.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Col. Flagg wrote: April 25th, 2017, 1:50 pm You can never go wrong with this intro though to his kids show back in the '90's... quite catchy...

I'm too old for that. This is what I dealt with in 4th grade-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7S537b7saE
Gotta love the frog.

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

shadow wrote: April 25th, 2017, 7:25 pm

I'm too old for that. This is what I dealt with in 4th grade-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7S537b7saE
Gotta love the frog.
Hey! I remember that show! :ymapplause:

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

As for the authoritarian aspects of these people...

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Older/wiser? wrote: April 25th, 2017, 5:53 pm
EmmaLee wrote: April 25th, 2017, 2:10 pm 18118526_900080940129802_7922135869267610193_n.jpg
I identify as a 22 yr old 6' tall skinny blonde, also in my identity delusion I own trump towers , drive a Mercedes and summer in Paris yea like that's a reality, so not ever gonna happen!
Absolutely! I mean.... Paris?

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Robin Hood wrote: April 26th, 2017, 2:54 am
Older/wiser? wrote: April 25th, 2017, 5:53 pm
EmmaLee wrote: April 25th, 2017, 2:10 pm 18118526_900080940129802_7922135869267610193_n.jpg
I identify as a 22 yr old 6' tall skinny blonde, also in my identity delusion I own trump towers , drive a Mercedes and summer in Paris yea like that's a reality, so not ever gonna happen!
Absolutely! I mean.... Paris?
Actually that could happen, I mean I do summer in Paris...........______

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Is Nye's new show aimed at adults, teens or children?

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Doesn't matter ^^^ seeing how we can all claim to be any age/sex/species/race that we want. :ymparty:

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

kittycat51 wrote: April 25th, 2017, 1:12 pm I loved Bill Nye when my boys were growing up, but that was before he really started opening his mouth. His true colors are now shining brightly.
Yes. I don't like him anymore...

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

I loved him as a kid. He really helped me love science. Then I took my kids to hear him speak once and he got into carbon footprints and how we really had to make people stop having kids. We were all a little devastated.
Aside-I'll guarantee you my entire family has a smaller carbon footprint then he does simply because we don't fly to speaking engagements all the time and our house is significantly smaller than his.
Anyway, I didn't like him after that.
This has left me shocked and disgusted. I honestly thought this kind of evil wouldn't be promoted until I was a grandmother!
The thing is, I didn't think I was that ignorant about how things are right now. I have a transgender sibling; we're not exactly living in a bubble. But after watching that I feel like I have been. I want to go back in the bubble now. :ymsick:

CastTheFirstStone
Hi, I'm new.

Post by CastTheFirstStone »

I remember why I wanted to kill myself so many times when trapped surrounded in LDS culture growing up as a transgender kid 30 years ago. Thank you for the reminders, especially for the demeaning meme picture belittling and making fun of transgender people. I doubt a single prophet or apostle would post that.....but thanks for taking the initiative. I have heard some people tell me that the apostles and prophets do not need to talk in conference to members about how to treat transgender people because the general talks about treating everyone with love cover us. Thank you for showing me otherwise. Thank you for reminding me that people like y'all are indeed alive and strong in the LDS church and culture. You do know that trans people, bisexuals, gay/lesbian, intersex and all others are IN your church. Not just as inactive. Not just believe they way do about themselves. There are trans people who ARE active, married, open and out. Who attend your meetings. Some of your bishops have no issue with them presenting in gender. Others forbid it. When bishoprics change, so does god's will for them oddly in the exact same place. Have you met those people who are in your church who attend active? Would you act like this around them? Have you heard church leaders like bishops and SPs contradict each other about trans people? And watched senior leaders avoid talking about it at all? have you experienced how they talk to a trans person one way, avoid talking with members, and then have their legal team take action all thinking that trans people will not notice? They talk about watching what you say when you think nobody is looking. This is a public site guys. People are looking. Trans kids are in your church, they don't dress. They are not a flamboyant as you imagine. They see you and hear these kind of back room jokes. Meet a trans person....and LDS trans person. Ann ACTIVE married LDS trans person with kids. I dare you. These are people all around you. They hide from you out of fear....and then I come here and see this.....and should anyone wonder why they hide from you? Why they try to convince themselves to marry when their leader pushes it and patriarchal blessing shames them if they don't and no policy for trans tells them or leaders not to push it. There are real problems here. There are real people. Real families. Real lives, even among you ACTIVE membership. Meet them. Learn. Research your own policy and see how scant it is covering only surgery. Nothing written on all the major issues like hormones, like 3rd hour, like bathrooms. Read the amicus brief and see how little it has in it. Ask an active LDS trans person how they reconcile that, and you might be surprised. Do you know there are wards with trans supportive bishops even but members that fight the bishops on this? Next time you post something like that "identifies as" recall that you are people that "identify as literally gods in embyo"...and a LOT of people think you are just as weird as those you point fingers at. Realize that there are people who would list someone that thinks god talks to them as a prophet on that meme. And no, I don't approve of a meme like that either. But stop and think for a minute please? Meet the people you belittle inside your own community please. It does not have to be this way. These are your own people you are making fun of. Do you realize that? The kids in your own communities. I have met them and watched their suffering of the inconsistent leadership treatment they get. They have private facebook groups with hundreds that meet with bishops every week. You think you know how bishops act, and that it is consistent. Think again. Think that there are no 1st presidency approved exceptions to policy? I have seen them and met them. Think again. There is a lot of growing and learning to be done in the church with trans people between imagined flamboyant stereotypes and real everyday trans people (not unlike how people used to imagine Mormons with horns). Every time I get hope for even being treated decently with or without an update in doctrine or policy, I see crap like this. Do you know your own policy has evolved ince 1976 to be MORE supportive of transsexual people? it started as mandatory excomm. moved to "ordinarily results in', then changed again to merely 'may be grounds for'. And guess what it is NOT always grounds for excommunication. It treats people who transition before joining vastly different than people who at 8 years old make a covenant for life that gets them in excommunication trouble later. Is there a place for trans people in your church? I fear that even if your leaders can welcome them......the very attitudes I see displayed here will not. I grew up with people like you. Internalized this as a kid. I have met other trans LDS people and see the same story repeat hundreds of times over. You can change that. You are better than this. You can have people marry, divorce have kids, or have kids outside of wedlock in affairs, and leave it to god to sort out in the afterlife, but cannot figure out trans people? There are trans people who attend faithfully knowing they will never get to go to the temple in this life. You think that is easy for them? Think people. The meetinghouse sign is etched in stone with the words 'Welcome'. But I see things like this and I do not believe the sign. You are good people. You are better than this. Please.....try. Please....learn. Please.....make an effort.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

This is really fascinating. I remember reading 1984 in which history was erased due to what the rulers wanted. This looks a lot like it when we compare the original show to today:

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

CastTheFirstStone wrote: May 2nd, 2017, 3:27 pm I remember why I wanted to kill myself so many times when trapped surrounded in LDS culture growing up as a transgender kid 30 years ago. Thank you for the reminders, especially for the demeaning meme picture belittling and making fun of transgender people. I doubt a single prophet or apostle would post that.....but thanks for taking the initiative. I have heard some people tell me that the apostles and prophets do not need to talk in conference to members about how to treat transgender people because the general talks about treating everyone with love cover us. Thank you for showing me otherwise. Thank you for reminding me that people like y'all are indeed alive and strong in the LDS church and culture. You do know that trans people, bisexuals, gay/lesbian, intersex and all others are IN your church. Not just as inactive. Not just believe they way do about themselves. There are trans people who ARE active, married, open and out. Who attend your meetings. Some of your bishops have no issue with them presenting in gender. Others forbid it. When bishoprics change, so does god's will for them oddly in the exact same place. Have you met those people who are in your church who attend active? Would you act like this around them? Have you heard church leaders like bishops and SPs contradict each other about trans people? And watched senior leaders avoid talking about it at all? have you experienced how they talk to a trans person one way, avoid talking with members, and then have their legal team take action all thinking that trans people will not notice? They talk about watching what you say when you think nobody is looking. This is a public site guys. People are looking. Trans kids are in your church, they don't dress. They are not a flamboyant as you imagine. They see you and hear these kind of back room jokes. Meet a trans person....and LDS trans person. Ann ACTIVE married LDS trans person with kids. I dare you. These are people all around you. They hide from you out of fear....and then I come here and see this.....and should anyone wonder why they hide from you? Why they try to convince themselves to marry when their leader pushes it and patriarchal blessing shames them if they don't and no policy for trans tells them or leaders not to push it. There are real problems here. There are real people. Real families. Real lives, even among you ACTIVE membership. Meet them. Learn. Research your own policy and see how scant it is covering only surgery. Nothing written on all the major issues like hormones, like 3rd hour, like bathrooms. Read the amicus brief and see how little it has in it. Ask an active LDS trans person how they reconcile that, and you might be surprised. Do you know there are wards with trans supportive bishops even but members that fight the bishops on this? Next time you post something like that "identifies as" recall that you are people that "identify as literally gods in embyo"...and a LOT of people think you are just as weird as those you point fingers at. Realize that there are people who would list someone that thinks god talks to them as a prophet on that meme. And no, I don't approve of a meme like that either. But stop and think for a minute please? Meet the people you belittle inside your own community please. It does not have to be this way. These are your own people you are making fun of. Do you realize that? The kids in your own communities. I have met them and watched their suffering of the inconsistent leadership treatment they get. They have private facebook groups with hundreds that meet with bishops every week. You think you know how bishops act, and that it is consistent. Think again. Think that there are no 1st presidency approved exceptions to policy? I have seen them and met them. Think again. There is a lot of growing and learning to be done in the church with trans people between imagined flamboyant stereotypes and real everyday trans people (not unlike how people used to imagine Mormons with horns). Every time I get hope for even being treated decently with or without an update in doctrine or policy, I see crap like this. Do you know your own policy has evolved ince 1976 to be MORE supportive of transsexual people? it started as mandatory excomm. moved to "ordinarily results in', then changed again to merely 'may be grounds for'. And guess what it is NOT always grounds for excommunication. It treats people who transition before joining vastly different than people who at 8 years old make a covenant for life that gets them in excommunication trouble later. Is there a place for trans people in your church? I fear that even if your leaders can welcome them......the very attitudes I see displayed here will not. I grew up with people like you. Internalized this as a kid. I have met other trans LDS people and see the same story repeat hundreds of times over. You can change that. You are better than this. You can have people marry, divorce have kids, or have kids outside of wedlock in affairs, and leave it to god to sort out in the afterlife, but cannot figure out trans people? There are trans people who attend faithfully knowing they will never get to go to the temple in this life. You think that is easy for them? Think people. The meetinghouse sign is etched in stone with the words 'Welcome'. But I see things like this and I do not believe the sign. You are good people. You are better than this. Please.....try. Please....learn. Please.....make an effort.
I get the hurt and hoping people will show more compassion, and Nye probably needs it, but much of the comments are directed at him. Kindness towards transgender people is probably best for another thread.
Do you agree with the people who identify as animals? As a different race? Many feel like it's gone too far-thus the meme.
How do you feel about Nye's video? Do you think members of Christ's church should be in favor of it?
I'm curious because it helps me know where you stand. If you're just tired of the lack of understanding and compassion and felt like posting, that's fine. But again, I'd say start a new thread. Get a real discussion going.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Doubt he has a first clue about OTEC and how it will change the world as it drives the hydrogen economy.

It will make arid coasts yield bountiful harvests and limit tropical cyclones to nothing more than a strong gale. :ymhug: