Drinking mead

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
4boys4me
captain of 10

Drinking mead

Post by 4boys4me »

So is drinking mead against the WOW? If you make it yourself surely you could control the amount of alcohol. Honey, water and yeast seem pretty harmless to me.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Re: Drinking mead

Post by Matchmaker »

4boys4me wrote: April 5th, 2017, 11:51 am So is drinking mead against the WOW? If you make it yourself surely you could control the amount of alcohol. Honey, water and yeast seem pretty harmless to me.
Even though it is a common ingredient in most breads, yeast is not very good for you.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Matchmaker wrote: April 5th, 2017, 2:55 pm

Even though it is a common ingredient in most breads, yeast is not very good for you.
"There are a lot of yeast infections in Scranton. Must be because they live down stream from that old bread factory" Dwight K Schrute

(Sorry, I'm a bit of a The Office nerd)

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

4boys4me wrote: April 5th, 2017, 11:51 am So is drinking mead against the WOW? If you make it yourself surely you could control the amount of alcohol. Honey, water and yeast seem pretty harmless to me.
In Finland there is a traditional, everyday, common drink called kotikalja, which essentially means home-brewed beer. This drink is made with sugar, yeast, and rye malt. It is fermented for about a day so that it gets bubbly or so that it will produce suds. It is mildly alcoholic. This drink is consumed regularly by Finnish temple recommend holding members of the Church. Bishops drink it, Stake Presidents drink it, members drink it, missionaries who are serving in Finland drink it.

-Finrock

forbey
Hi, I'm new.

Post by forbey »

The WOW says alcohol is for outside the body. I also believe it is acceptable in medications. I would say that attemoting to see just how close you can get to crossing over from OK behavior without actually violating the WOW, is, in fact violating the spirit of the law, if not the word of the law.

What is the excitement surrounding trying tobsee just how close to the electric fence you can pee without frying your private parts. One unplanned puff of wind and ... BAMM!

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

From what the scriptures say it should be ok. Most likely your bishop would not agree that it's ok.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Finrock wrote: April 5th, 2017, 4:31 pm
In Finland there is a traditional, everyday, common drink called kotikalja, which essentially means home-brewed beer. This drink is made with sugar, yeast, and rye malt. It is fermented for about a day so that it gets bubbly or so that it will produce suds. It is mildly alcoholic. This drink is consumed regularly by Finnish temple recommend holding members of the Church. Bishops drink it, Stake Presidents drink it, members drink it, missionaries who are serving in Finland drink it.

-Finrock
The US Saints call that "Home Made Root Beer".

bbsion
captain of 100

Post by bbsion »

"1 A Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion—

2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—

3 Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints."

"5 That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.

6 And, behold, this should be wine, yea, pure wine of the grape of the vine, of your own make.

7 And, again, strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies."

"16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground—

17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain."

Just reading that and then looking up what is in mead.... it sounds like a mild drink. If you make it yourself then you do control the amount of alcohol. God knows if you are trying to justify "getting away with" drinking alcohol or not. Few things to consider... this is a word of wisdom and it's adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints. It is not commandment, just advisable wisdom. Also, just my opinion, but eating too much meat is worse than drinking homemade, low alcohol level, mead.

Getting a small taste of something like that could lead to addictions and stronger drinks. But again, this is something adapted to the weakness of men. What some find to be extremely tempting and addicting... others have no problem with.

The WOW is extremely fascinating. It's open for interpretation, yet people use it to justify actions, parts of it are required for a recommend, other parts of it are completely disregarded, it's pretty straight forward at times, yet a little vague at other times, and the promises at the end are amazing.

Bottom line... use the Holy Ghost and be wise with your decision, whatever it is. :)

4boys4me
captain of 10

Post by 4boys4me »

I appreciate everyone's input. I am not trying to get to close to the fence as some have suggested. Just naturally curious about things. If i do try it it will have very little alcohol or I won't even attempt it. Cough medicine and even extract have alcohol. Not out to get drunk was presented with an opportunity to learn to make it and was considering doing so.

On The Fringe
captain of 50

Post by On The Fringe »

-Finrock
Strangely enough, I can attest to this. In regards to missionaries I can take it a step further... A missionary from Finland made it for me once. I had no idea =)) I don't drink, but I will admit to liking it!

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Serragon wrote: April 5th, 2017, 6:32 pm

-Finrock
The US Saints call that "Home Made Root Beer".
Really? I've made home made root beer and it tastes very different from kotikalja. Also, there are various ways of making root beer that doesn't require any fermentation. You can use dry ice, Sprite, carbonated mineral water or just plain carbonated water and mix it with some root beer extract. I'm sure there are other ways making it as well. With kotikalja, the mixture of sugar and rye malt gets heated. Once it cools down just a bit, you add in the yeast. Then you let it ferment in a dark, warm place for a day or so. Really, you are fermenting just enough to get the drink to have the bubbles or suds. Once it gets bubbly, you place it in the fridge and let it get cold to stop/slow down the fermentation process and then serve. Obviously if you let it ferment for longer, the alcohol content will increase. But, if this is done then it doesn't get served to the kids and its no longer considered okay to drink by members of the Church.

-Finrock

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

4boys4me wrote: April 6th, 2017, 9:02 pm I appreciate everyone's input. I am not trying to get to close to the fence as some have suggested. Just naturally curious about things. If i do try it it will have very little alcohol or I won't even attempt it. Cough medicine and even extract have alcohol. Not out to get drunk was presented with an opportunity to learn to make it and was considering doing so.
If you decide to do it, I suggest you do it because you want to and feel good about. Don't base your decision on what others think and/or believe. What others believe and what others might approve of or not approve of is ultimately irrelevant to you.

Personally, its not a big deal to me. In my mind its not even in the realm of someone trying to get too close to the fence and I wouldn't give a person who suggests that it is a second glance.

-Finrock

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

To my mind the WOW clearly distinguishes between fermented and distilled drinks.
Fermented drinks are mild, distilled are strong.

These days fermented drinks can be deliberately manipulated to be stronger than they would ordinarily be, which is why, I believe, the church has decided to prohibit everything with any non-naturally occuring alcoholic content.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Serragon wrote: April 5th, 2017, 6:32 pm The US Saints call that "Home Made Root Beer".
Finrock wrote: April 5th, 2017, 4:31 pm Really? I've made home made root beer and it tastes very different from kotikalja
No, it was a joke. Most groups of saints I have been associated with have loved to make root beer. Sometimes it ages a bit more than it should. Our family reunions often had some interesting examples of this "mild" conconction.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

4boys4me wrote: April 6th, 2017, 9:02 pm I appreciate everyone's input. I am not trying to get to close to the fence as some have suggested. Just naturally curious about things. If i do try it it will have very little alcohol or I won't even attempt it. Cough medicine and even extract have alcohol. Not out to get drunk was presented with an opportunity to learn to make it and was considering doing so.
I'm a convert, the only member from my family to become LDS, and I still have an affinity for wine and sparkling wine or champagne. There are a few wineries using a reverse osmosis process to remove the alcohol from their wine and sparkling wine, reducing the alcohol content to less than 0.5%. These alcohol free wines supposedly have less alcohol than orange juice. However, for reasons I may not understand in mortality, it's wrong for me to have these beverages. I just feel that way as I consider purchasing some.

I don't know if this is just for me or not, therefore the best advice I can give anyone is to get close to the Holy Ghost then pray about it.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Mead is nasty tasting. Go for fermented root beer. You can make a delicious soda with water kefir. Less than 0.5% alcohol.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

If you can control the amount of alcohol, can you make it without alcohol then? If you can, then I see no problem with it. If it has an alcohol content that you would be uncomfortable allowing your child to drink it, or serving it to your LDS ward members, then I'd think twice about drinking it myself.

The word of wisdom has some definite prohibitions and some obvious prohibitions but there is some that is left up to you to decide--How well you adhere to the word of wisdom determines the blessings you get from abiding by it's precepts.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Alcohol as in beer wine and also grape juice have the same benefit of helping heart function and improve circulation.

But I don't really see a reason To make mild barley drinks when you can just have grape juice. Unless grapes where not available.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

Yes, of course it's breaking the WoW--ridiculous question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead

Mead (/ˈmiːd/; archaic and dialectal "medd", "Meath or Meathe";[1] from Old English "medu",[2]) is an alcoholic beverage created by fermenting honey with water, sometimes with various fruits, spices, grains, or hops.[3][4][5] The alcoholic content ranges from about 8% ABV[6] to more than 20%. The defining characteristic of mead is that the majority of the beverage's fermentable sugar is derived from honey.[7] It may be still, carbonated, or naturally sparkling; dry, semi-sweet, or sweet.[8]

Mead was produced in ancient history throughout Europe, Africa and Asia.[9][10][11][12][13]

Mead has played an important role in the beliefs and mythology of some peoples. One such example is the Mead of Poetry, a mead of Norse mythology crafted from the blood of the wise being Kvasir which turns the drinker into a poet or scholar.

The terms "mead" and "honey-wine" often are used synonymously.[14][15] Some cultures, though, differentiate honey-wine from mead. For example, Hungarians hold that while mead is made of honey, water and beer-yeast (barm), honey-wine is watered honey fermented by recrement of grapes or other fruits.[16]

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

DesertWonderer wrote: April 10th, 2017, 11:27 am Yes, of course it's breaking the WoW--ridiculous question.

Mead (/ˈmiːd/; archaic and dialectal "medd", "Meath or Meathe";[1] from Old English "medu",[2]) is an alcoholic beverage created by fermenting honey with water, sometimes with various fruits, spices, grains, or hops.[3][4][5] The alcoholic content ranges from about 8% ABV[6] to more than 20%. The defining characteristic of mead is that the majority of the beverage's fermentable sugar is derived from honey.[7] It may be still, carbonated, or naturally sparkling; dry, semi-sweet, or sweet.[8]

Mead was produced in ancient history throughout Europe, Africa and Asia.[9][10][11][12][13]

Mead has played an important role in the beliefs and mythology of some peoples. One such example is the Mead of Poetry, a mead of Norse mythology crafted from the blood of the wise being Kvasir which turns the drinker into a poet or scholar.

The terms "mead" and "honey-wine" often are used synonymously.[14][15] Some cultures, though, differentiate honey-wine from mead. For example, Hungarians hold that while mead is made of honey, water and beer-yeast (barm), honey-wine is watered honey fermented by recrement of grapes or other fruits.[16]
Not a ridiculous question from the OP. Ridiculous comment from you.

-Finrock

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

Finrock wrote: April 11th, 2017, 6:56 am
DesertWonderer wrote: April 10th, 2017, 11:27 am Yes, of course it's breaking the WoW--ridiculous question.

-Finrock
Proof everybody has an opinion.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

DesertWonderer wrote: April 11th, 2017, 8:50 am
Finrock wrote: April 11th, 2017, 6:56 am

-Finrock
Proof everybody has an opinion.
No it isn't. If anything its potentially evidence that I have an opinion.

-Finrock

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Mead > grape wine and beer.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I am actually fermenting mead right now. I thought I might taste it in a few days, before it got strong. Most recipes seem complicated, and say it takes 5 months to some amount of years to fully ferment. I put some honey in water and added a pinch of champagne yeast (it was given to me for Chritmas over a year ago, but I understand there's such a thing as mead yeast). I was too timid to not use yeast. I also used black tea, because one of the recipes said that would feed the micro-organisms. Raisins are also recommended, but I didn't have any.

It seems to me that it isn't much different than making kombucha (which is why we have black tea: to feed and nourish our kombucha scoby), water kefir, coconut water kefir, milk kefir, root beer, or ginger beer/ale. None of those are fermented enogh to have enough alcohol to notice. Certainly a ton less than cough syrup. And if it takes 5 months up to years to make mead alcoholic, it seems like fermenting it a short time ought to be okay. I mean old fashioned root beer (fermented with yeast) is not against the word of wisdom.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

4boys4me wrote: April 5th, 2017, 11:51 am Honey, water and yeast seem pretty harmless to me.
I checked my mead today. The label said I had started it on the 10th. It's the color of honey, not black tea. It had foam on top. I stirred it, and the foam began to pour out the top. That's a lot of foam for only two days of fermentation. I tasted it, and it just tasted like honey diluted in water. No black tea taste at all, and definitely no alcohol flavor.