April 2017 General Conference

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

April 2017 General Conference

Post by JohnnyL »

I noticed that I enjoyed many of the 70's talks much more than the 12's. Maybe more stories, more jokes?

Any new doctrines or important clarifications?

It seemed like it was a lot of "batten down the hatches, a storm is coming".

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: April 2017 General Conference

Post by Silver »

Don’t Look Around, Look Up!
by Elder Yoon Hwan Choi of the Seventy

was excellent. Many others that were strong keepers.

Paraphrasing from one of the talks:
Sin resistant does not equal sinless. Sin resistant = continually repentant.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

JohnnyL wrote: April 2nd, 2017, 7:04 pm I noticed that I enjoyed many of the 70's talks much more than the 12's. Maybe more stories, more jokes?

Any new doctrines or important clarifications?

At the end of the Nephite civilization, with probably a large majority of them denying Christ or ignoring his teachings, Mormon taught Faith, Hope and Charity. When many of the talks at General Conference seem to focus on those principles instead of any "new" doctrine, I think we are getting (i.e., not getting) what we deserve.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

JohnnyL wrote: April 2nd, 2017, 7:04 pm It seemed like it was a lot of "batten down the hatches, a storm is coming".
Which even the clueless are realizing these days.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Did President Monson's two brief addresses seem like final advice?

I was fortunate enough to be in the conference center Saturday morning and closer to the rostrum than I expected. When President Monson waked in I was stunned by how pale he looked and now I'm really wondering if we'll sustain a new First Presidency in October.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

brianj wrote: April 2nd, 2017, 9:26 pm Did President Monson's two brief addresses seem like final advice?

I was fortunate enough to be in the conference center Saturday morning and closer to the rostrum than I expected. When President Monson waked in I was stunned by how pale he looked and now I'm really wondering if we'll sustain a new First Presidency in October.
It sounded like it to me, yes. Especially the Book of Mormon part. No President Monson stories, just teaching and testimony.

I'll admit I've had a hard time with Press. Hinckley and Monson, after from Pres. Benson. I had the feeling that they just tried to forget about the "read the BoM" message, and "move on" to other things. Towards the end, they both went back to it...

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Silver wrote: April 2nd, 2017, 7:37 pm Don’t Look Around, Look Up!
by Elder Yoon Hwan Choi of the Seventy
That was one of our favorites, too.
Elders Cordo'n, Brough, Sabin, and especially Costa were great, too.
Last edited by JohnnyL on April 2nd, 2017, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Having been spiritually feed for both Saturday and Sunday my impressions seemed to be almost every talk was centered around pointing us to Christ to gain that testimony that will sustain us . My thoughts on what was obviously missing , were talks on preparedness or any other gospel topic. I felt the days for warning us of that were pass, and now the focus is on the only thing that will save us, above any earthly preparations is our knowledge, testimonies and love for our Savior. The Lord is at the helm of His Church and any who doubt that didn't obtain the Spirit manifest through conference.

L4t3rD4yS41nT
captain of 10

Post by L4t3rD4yS41nT »

Remember, the Apostles were once 70's. The content in all the talks were fantastic and what we needed to hear. I enjoyed them all and look forward to revisiting these talks to get even more out of them. I'm sure everyone feels the same way.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

JohnnyL wrote: April 2nd, 2017, 7:04 pm Any new doctrines or important clarifications?

I think President Bednar's talk and even President Oak's talk seemed to point out that we don't need more doctrine, we're having a hard enough time with what we've got. Seems that a lot of the members need to study more hence why their talks were pretty basic.

I was glad to hear that more temples are being built. I was actually thinking we might not get any announcement this conference but from the audible response heard at the conference center, it seems a lot of people were also pleasantly surprised with the announcement. Who would have thought Kenya!

2EstablishZion
captain of 100

Post by 2EstablishZion »

We should not be looking down on any other religion or people.

2EstablishZion
captain of 100

Post by 2EstablishZion »

Also, this wasn't in a talk, but this was one of the stronger personal impressions that I got:

"Heavenly Father has no need for computer programmers, technical support, or product managers (..or any of the other multitude of occupations that are out there.) Remember that whatever you choose to do for a living is only a means to finance the true reason you are here."

I also liked one talk that emphasized the importance of our individuality. We aren;t all meant to come her to be cookie cutter images of each other. There are some things we will excel at, some commandments we will have no trouble with and others that will challenge us to the utmost and will even overcome us until we rely on the Lord. We really really need to focus less on the shortcomings of others (including our leaders, and I loved President Uchtdorf's very humble talk when he was taught that "it wasn't all about him.") and focus on overcoming our own weaknesses and developing our own strengths and building our personal relationship with Heavenly Father and Christ.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

brianj wrote: April 2nd, 2017, 9:26 pm Did President Monson's two brief addresses seem like final advice?

If you remember October conference and even a year ago, President Monson's talks have been 5 minutes or less. Remember when he almost collapsed a couple of conferences ago? I have been wondering the past 2 conferences if President Monson would make it to the next. He keeps surprising me.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Sunain wrote: April 3rd, 2017, 2:31 am
JohnnyL wrote: April 2nd, 2017, 7:04 pm Any new doctrines or important clarifications?

I think President Bednar's talk and even President Oak's talk seemed to point out that we don't need more doctrine, we're having a hard enough time with what we've got. Seems that a lot of the members need to study more hence why their talks were pretty basic.

I was glad to hear that more temples are being built. I was actually thinking we might not get any announcement this conference but from the audible response heard at the conference center, it seems a lot of people were also pleasantly surprised with the announcement. Who would have thought Kenya!
When they announced Saratoga Springs as a new temple site, I was like :-o

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

If I heard correctly, no one was hooting and hollering about Kenya. They were hooting and hollering about Saratoga Springs, Utah. Obvious that there were some people there from Saratoga Springs, Utah.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Col. Flagg wrote: April 3rd, 2017, 1:36 pm

Utah County? Where is Saratoga Springs? Is that where you are from?
dc

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Every temple, no matter where it is put, is good news. Saratoga Springs, Utah, is a nice area which is full of residential neighborhoods of new homes in the $300,000 to $400,000 plus range. Currently, the nearest temple to them is the Mount Timpanogos Temple, which is only 15 miles away. It seems to me that almost everyone buying those new homes must be LDS temple recommend holders to warrant another temple being built so close to them so soon. Congratulations to those active members for their faithful work in the Timpanogos temple which must have played a part in the decision of the First Presidency to bless their town with a new temple.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I think that's what the scream was for. I know a lot of people who have moved there, it seems it's growing really quickly, along with other places moving west (and house prices have gone up, too), and other temples are full and will be getting fuller (Lehi has grown a lot just in the past few years, too).

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

My son lives in Saratoga Springs; I'm sure he is thrilled. Growing up (in Salt Lake) Saratoga was a place like a mini-Lagoon amusement park on the shores of Utah Lake. My how far they've come!

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

kittycat51 wrote: April 3rd, 2017, 10:53 pm Growing up (in Salt Lake) Saratoga was a place like a mini-Lagoon amusement park on the shores of Utah Lake. My how far they've come!
You're referring to Redwood Road being a "roller-coaster" road in that area, right?! I loved it as a kid.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

Saratoga Springs would service Utah communities like Eagle Mountain, Cedar Fort, Fairfield and also Lehi, Tooele, Grantsville. Looks like Saratoga Springs has been the most recent boom area on the Wasatch Front and the Church is planning on continued future growth there.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

BrianM wrote: April 3rd, 2017, 11:05 pm
kittycat51 wrote: April 3rd, 2017, 10:53 pm Growing up (in Salt Lake) Saratoga was a place like a mini-Lagoon amusement park on the shores of Utah Lake. My how far they've come!
You're referring to Redwood Road being a "roller-coaster" road in that area, right?! I loved it as a kid.
Ha ha yes the road was/is a stomach churner. No there was a place called Saratoga on the north side of the lake. They had a HUGE swimming pool and lots of simple amusement rides. To my knowledge they were the first place I ever saw a "water slide".

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Matchmaker wrote: April 3rd, 2017, 4:30 pm Every temple, no matter where it is put, is good news. Saratoga Springs, Utah, is a nice area which is full of residential neighborhoods of new homes in the $300,000 to $400,000 plus range. Currently, the nearest temple to them is the Mount Timpanogos Temple, which is only 15 miles away. It seems to me that almost everyone buying those new homes must be LDS temple recommend holders to warrant another temple being built so close to them so soon. Congratulations to those active members for their faithful work in the Timpanogos temple which must have played a part in the decision of the First Presidency to bless their town with a new temple.
From a friend, I hear the Stake President out there, (possibly quoting a 70) says the area is a place of gathering for the saints.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

tribrac wrote: April 4th, 2017, 10:48 am
Matchmaker wrote: April 3rd, 2017, 4:30 pm Every temple, no matter where it is put, is good news. Saratoga Springs, Utah, is a nice area which is full of residential neighborhoods of new homes in the $300,000 to $400,000 plus range. Currently, the nearest temple to them is the Mount Timpanogos Temple, which is only 15 miles away. It seems to me that almost everyone buying those new homes must be LDS temple recommend holders to warrant another temple being built so close to them so soon. Congratulations to those active members for their faithful work in the Timpanogos temple which must have played a part in the decision of the First Presidency to bless their town with a new temple.
From a friend, I hear the Stake President out there, (possibly quoting a 70) says the area is a place of gathering for the saints.
Very true - we gather for service projects out there all the time on stake property. ;)

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

tribrac wrote: April 4th, 2017, 10:48 am
O course it is.

"“The main object [of gathering] was to build unto the Lord a house whereby He could reveal unto His people the ordinances of His house and the glories of His kingdom, and teach the people the way of salvation; for there are certain ordinances and principles that, when they are taught and practiced, must be done in a place or house built for that purpose." Joseph Smith"

“It was the design of the councils of heaven before the world was, that the principles and laws of the priesthood should be predicated upon the gathering of the people in every age of the world. …"

“And that the gathering together upon the land of Zion, and upon her stakes, may be for a defense, and for a refuge from the storm, and from wrath when it shall be poured out without mixture upon the whole earth” (D&C 115:5–6).

It's a gather place just as where I live is a gathering place.