Terrorist attacks--Is anyone else weirded out?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Terrorist attacks--Is anyone else weirded out?

Post by JohnnyL »

Is anyone else weirded out by the coincidence of the astronomical odds of Utahns/ Mormons being victims in terrorist attacks??

Sandy Hook, Paris, London...

nvr
captain of 1,000

Re: Terrorist attacks--Is anyone else weirded out?

Post by nvr »

Kinda strange, I would normally say we only hear about it because Utah news stations always pay attention to LDS/Utah residents whenever they're in the news. Then I think about the case of Mason Wells. He was the LDS missionary who was was injured in the Brussels airport bombing. He was also in Paris at time of terrorist attacks (in different part of city) and finally, he was at the site of the Boston Bombing with his dad in the audience watching his mom run when the bombing occured.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 47361.html

So, either he's the unluckiest fellow in the country, or his family are working for Visionbox crisis acting. With all this, I'm not sure if other LDS are participating in the crisis acting. At least I think it can be safely said that LDS people are probably highlighted in these stories to at least keep faithfully conservative Utah on board with continuous US aggression in Middle East.
Last edited by nvr on March 24th, 2017, 9:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

JohnnyL wrote: March 24th, 2017, 8:41 am Is anyone else weirded out by the coincidence of the astronomical odds of Utahns/ Mormons being victims in terrorist attacks??

Sandy Hook, Paris, London...

Think of all the terrorist attacks there have been.
It would be extraordinary if no LDS were ever caught up in them.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

nvr, YES, like that! I mean, the odds of being in three terrorists attacks has got to be more than 1,000,000,000,000 to 1. I agree with your thinking--"gotta keep those Mormons herded in line with the others, cause that's the biggest hurdle for us to overcome;" or such.

7 billion+ in the world; 16 million members, I'd say maximum 5 million "active".
London: 4 die; 1 LDS.
Sandy Hook: 19 die; 1 LDS.
3 times a charm! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tacks.html

There haven't been many terrorist attacks, really. And the numbers are usually small when there are.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

JohnnyL wrote: March 24th, 2017, 11:33 pm nvr, YES, like that! I mean, the odds of being in three terrorists attacks has got to be more than 1,000,000,000,000 to 1. I agree with your thinking--"gotta keep those Mormons herded in line with the others, cause that's the biggest hurdle for us to overcome;" or such.

7 billion+ in the world; 16 million members, I'd say maximum 5 million "active".

There haven't been many terrorist attacks, really. And the numbers are usually small when there are.
The American who died in London wasn't LDS apparently.
3000 died 9/11. How many LDS?
Oklahoma City?
San Bernadino?
Bali?
Madrid?
London 7/7?
Munich?
Paris?
Boston?

The list goes on.
What would be statistically weird is if no Mormon was killed in terrorist attacks.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

JohnnyL wrote: March 24th, 2017, 11:33 pm nvr, YES, like that! I mean, the odds of being in three terrorists attacks has got to be more than 1,000,000,000,000 to 1. I agree with your thinking--"gotta keep those Mormons herded in line with the others, cause that's the biggest hurdle for us to overcome;" or such.

Actually, the number of terrorist attacks is fantastically high; far far far higher than the media reports. Why? They are part of the conspiracy. What conspiracy? Globalism.
Cultural Marxism. World Communism. World domination. Call if what you want. We were warned about these conspiracies. And if you look, you see them, or it, as the case may be.
dc

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

No, I'm not weirded out. With seven billion people in the world, what do you think the chances of a one in a billion event happening to someone in a given four hour period are?

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

The man from Utah who died in London was on vacation with his wife, who was seriously injured in the attack. They were there to visit her parents who were on an LDS mission.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Robin Hood wrote: March 25th, 2017, 2:54 am

The American who died in London wasn't LDS apparently.
3000 died 9/11. How many LDS?
Oklahoma City?
San Bernadino?
Bali?
Madrid?
London 7/7?
Munich?
Paris?
Boston?

The list goes on.
What would be statistically weird is if no Mormon was killed in terrorist attacks.
This comment has me thinking about the Brussels bombing one year ago. Three missionaries were injured in that incident, but none were killed. I don't expect every active church member to be protected against terrorists or other criminals, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that faithful LDS are statistically less likely to die in a terrorist attack than the average resident of a given country.