What Is Wrong With Not Knowing What You Don't Know, You Don't Know? What Is The Remedy?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

What Is Wrong With Not Knowing What You Don't Know, You Don't Know? What Is The Remedy?

Post by freedomforall »

When it comes to "last days" preparation, secret combinations, the Constitution, Gospel teachings and traveling the path to the Tree of Life...what are many things we don't know, we don't know?

How do we go about finding out what we don't know, we don't know? How can not knowing what we ought to know affect our daily walk?

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Re: What Is Wrong With Not Knowing What You Don't Know, You Don't Know? What Is The Remedy?

Post by Dave62 »

I believe it is quite acceptable to admit that we don't know details. I have a non LDS Christian friend who initially was quite bothered about many of the ex-biblical beliefs that are attributed to LDS. His argument was that if it isn't in the Bible it can't be true. After many campfire discussions he now agrees that "just because it isn't in the Bible doesn't mean it isn't true." The point here is that we have a hierarchy of knowledge. The Bible is our first and primary book. I say this because without it all else would be irrelevant. We have our LDS canon of the Book or Mormon and the Restoration literature. We then have living oracles who can guide us into the future. Then we have generalities and hypotheses that are fairly constant. And then we have conjecture.

In the context of Freedomforall's post, a knowledge would be "in the latter days there will be secret combinations". A hypothesis would be "that society cannot tolerate power vacuums". And conjecture would be the XYZ party has been infiltrated by "Gaddianton-like elements." The first statement I would be prepared to announce publicly in a church setting, but not so the last.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Re: What Is Wrong With Not Knowing What You Don't Know, You Don't Know? What Is The Remedy?

Post by captainfearnot »

Not knowing what you don't know usually comes in the form of thinking you know something you don't.

For example, if you think you know what the stock market is going to do (even thought you really don't) then you aren't going to make very wise investment decisions. But if you understand that you don't know what the stock market is going to do, then you can make wise decisions with that in mind. Diversification, hedging strategies, all the plays one makes when they don't know the future, in order to be prepared for all eventualities.

So applying that to disaster prep, if you think you know what the future holds, and you prepare for something specific, then you might find yourself less prepared for what actually happens than if you had understood that you have no idea what disasters are ahead and prepared more generally for a wide range of outcomes.

So, one good way to go about finding out what you don't know you don't know is to take a good hard look at what you think you know.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; avoid him.
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him.
He who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep; wake him.
He who knows and knows that he knows is a wise man; follow him.
Attributions: Persian apothegm, Sanskrit Saying

"The greatest of all sins is to be conscious of none."

Humility means being "teachable." Who, then, can be a teacher? We limit ourselves in whom we will accept as such. (Sometimes it will come through the "mouth's of babes . . . ")

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

BruceRGilbert.

How do you tell the difference between the fool and the wise man?

Regards,

George Clay

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Short answer: The wise man will admit that he is a fool.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Alma 37:
6 Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.
1 Corinthians 3:
18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Here is a man that took the time and effort to learn what he didn't know he didn't know. Much of it goes over my head, yet it is very interesting as to the knowledge this man has with relation to us as citizens and the Constitution. How we are being manipulated and guided into doing and becoming puppets to government. How we can be treasonous and not aware of it. He knows the court system is ruled by the "law of the sea" not the "law of the land." He stands by the Constitution of 1789 and, perhaps, knows it inside and out.
He been jailed five times, yet has won in all cases. I've listened to him in much of his videos and have gleaned some good info from them. To me, this is one way for me to get to know things I didn't know. There are thousands of things I don't know, but I have come know a little more than what I didn't know before.

Who is willing to listen and share the points of added knowledge they didn't possess before?

Also, did anyone know that there were originally 12 Amendments in the Bill of Rights?

See: The Original Bill of Rights Had Twelve Amendments

How many of us know that the Declaration of Independence was signed on Aug 2nd, 1776?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyJqdEr ... 0B&index=2

How many US Presidents were there prior to George Washington?
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... ashington/

Are we a Democracy or a Republic?

Does the Constitution grant rights? What are inalienable rights? Do we confuse inalienable rights with Constitutional privileges?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyJqdEr ... 0B&index=2

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

BruceRGilbert,
Short answer: The wise man will admit that he is a fool.

So what you are saying is a wise man knows he is wise, but then says he is a fool???

The problem with that Persian saying is that it sounds cool, but is absolutely useless. From the outside behavior both the wise man and the fool behave the same. The fact of the matter, while we should seek wisdom wherever we can find it, we need to take the advice of all with a grain of salt. We are responsible for our own decisions.

Just like that blind squirrel, a fool is right some of the time and also the wise man is wrong some of the time.

Regards,

George Clay

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

gclayjr wrote: So what you are saying is a wise man knows he is wise, but then says he is a fool???
No George, that is not what I wrote . . . that is how you interpreted what I wrote.

What I imply is that it is better to consider oneself a fool, than a wise man. Doing so, in my opinion, is the beginning of wisdom. Wisdom lies in the paradox of knowing that you do not know everything and that you are a fool if you think that you do.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

gclayjr wrote: Just like that blind squirrel, a fool is right some of the time and also the wise man is wrong some of the time.
5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:

7 ¶Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear (reverence) the Lord, and depart from evil.

35 The wise shall inherit glory: but shame shall be the promotion of fools.

1 The proverbs of Solomon. A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother.

14 Wise men lay up knowledge: but the mouth of the foolish is near destruction.

19 In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise.

30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.

15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.

1 A wise son heareth his father’s instruction: but a scorner heareth not rebuke.

20 He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.

27 He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit.
28 Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

20 Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end.

11 When the scorner is punished, the simple is made wise: and when the wise is instructed, he receiveth knowledge.

12 Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.

13 ¶Better is a poor and a wise child than an old and foolish king, who will no more be admonished.

11 The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails fastened by the masters of assemblies, which are given from one shepherd.
goads = sharp-pointed sticks to spur oxen onward.

21 Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

16 ¶Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Here is wisdom:
5 ¶Trust in the Lord with all thine heart;
and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him,
and he shall direct thy paths.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

BruceRGilbert, FreedomForAll

He who knows and knows that he knows is a wise man; follow him.
I Don't have any issue with your comments about how be wise. My comment and your quote refers to following a wise man. So my comments relate to the fact that recognizing another to be a wise man is not trivial. For both the fool and the wise man can look alike on the surface.

Regards,

George Clay

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

From the perspective of the saying, the fool knows not that he knows not, therefore the fool would believe the following: He (the fool) knows and knows that he knows. The fool would tell you that he knows and knows that he knows. The wise man knows and knows that he knows, therefore, gclayjr's observation is valid. Both the fool and the wise man would claim to know and know that they know. Within the saying that was given, you can't distinguish between the fool and wise man.

-Finrock

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Finrock wrote: March 16th, 2017, 10:37 am From the perspective of the saying, the fool knows not that he knows not, therefore the fool would believe the following: He (the fool) knows and knows that he knows. The fool would tell you that he knows and knows that he knows. The wise man knows and knows that he knows, therefore, gclayjr's observation is valid. Both the fool and the wise man would claim to know and know that they know. Within the saying that was given, you can't distinguish between the fool and wise man.

-Finrock
Until they open their mouth and give themselves away. Further, God knows which one is which.
Even a fool that keeps their mouth shut is wise.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

FreedomForAll,
Until they open their mouth and give themselves away. Further, God knows which one is which.
You seem to keep missing the point. They only give themselves away, if you know enough to know that what they are saying is foolish. That is why so many people follow fools. My point is that you need to study it out for yourself, because unless you know enough to detect the fool, you cannot tell the difference between the fool, and the wise man.

Regards,

George Clay

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

gclayjr wrote: March 16th, 2017, 7:58 pm FreedomForAll,
You seem to keep missing the point. They only give themselves away, if you know enough to know that what they are saying is foolish. That is why so many people follow fools. My point is that you need to study it out for yourself, because unless you know enough to detect the fool, you cannot tell the difference between the fool, and the wise man.

Regards,

George Clay
Okay.

Bump!

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

freedomforall wrote:
gclayjr wrote: March 16th, 2017, 7:58 pm FreedomForAll,

Regards,

George Clay
Okay.

Bump!
"Humility" and "Wisdom" are both virtues that are vacated by their self-acknowledgement. A person's credibility should be questioned in the self-proclamation of either. These are virtues that are better ascribed than owned. Scripturally, (I think of Solomon,) when someone is reported as "wise," they inevitably fall and "wisdom" becomes "folly." It is highly probable that pride can be garnished in the magnitude of one's own "humility." I have a real problem saying "amen" to "humble" prayers.