Crashing...post-Obama

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Crashing...post-Obama

Post by Silver »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-1 ... ing-facili

"Crashing "Post-Obama Era" Gun Sales Lead To Remington Mass Layoffs
by Tyler Durden
Mar 14, 2017 11:46 AM

As we noted last summer, the Obama administration’s constant gun control threats did little more than flood American homes with more guns as people looked to stockpile weapons ahead of anticipated new regulations. In fact, both of Obama's elections resulted in massive and unprecedented spikes in gun sales.

Meanwhile, Obama's presidency was a boon for the gun manufacturers whose revenue, profitability and stocks all soared during his presidency.

But while the constant threat of new regulations under Obama resulted in a massive full forward of gun demand and pushed gun stocks to all-time highs, the election of Trump, and thus the removal of those threats for at least the next 4-8 years, is having exactly the opposite effect." (close quote)

Sleep, my children, sleep.

Sandinista
captain of 100

Re: Crashing...post-Obama

Post by Sandinista »

In preface to my remarks, I belong to a gun collectors association that sponsor gun shows every two months. These shows are for members only, and the membership of the organization is made up of serious collectors and firearm enthusiasts. Only members and their guests can attend the shows, which usually have about 700 "tables" set up in a large convention center. Not your normal "riff raff" but people who really know and love firearms. That said, a year and half ago you couldn't touch a decent AR-15 (for example) at one of these shows from a reputable manufacturer for under $1500, if you could find one at all. Last Saturday I think the average price on a Ruger, DPMS, Smith & Wesson, Stag, Palmetto, etc. was around $595 without any optics or other additional hardware. A Colt could run you maybe $795, depending on what hardware it had on it. Quite the drop in prices!

I almost came home with a new Ruger done up with a decent optic, a free floated 1:7 twist barrel, and boron BCG but my home teaching companion, who was with me, reminded me that I had 5 AR's already and that my wife may leave me if I brought home another! But I was tempted! :)

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

It may be time to ask your quorum leader for a new HT companion. No comment on your spousal unit. :>)

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Sandinista wrote: March 14th, 2017, 11:47 am In preface to my remarks, I belong to a gun collectors association that sponsor gun shows every two months. These shows are for members only, and the membership of the organization is made up of serious collectors and firearm enthusiasts. Only members and their guests can attend the shows, which usually have about 700 "tables" set up in a large convention center. Not your normal "riff raff" but people who really know and love firearms. That said, a year and half ago you couldn't touch a decent AR-15 (for example) at one of these shows from a reputable manufacturer for under $1500, if you could find one at all. Last Saturday I think the average price on a Ruger, DPMS, Smith & Wesson, Stag, Palmetto, etc. was around $595 without any optics or other additional hardware. A Colt could run you maybe $795, depending on what hardware it had on it. Quite the drop in prices!

I almost came home with a new Ruger done up with a decent optic, a free floated 1:7 twist barrel, and boron BCG but my home teaching companion, who was with me, reminded me that I had 5 AR's already and that my wife may leave me if I brought home another! But I was tempted! :)
Interesting anecdote! A friend and I went to the range last weekend and stopped by a gun store on the way home. The place was PACKED with AR-15s all priced under $600. Our theory was some people stocked up heavily before the election expecting a Hillary victory. When it didn't happen, suddenly there was a glut of ARs on the market.

It's a great time to buy if you don't already have one.... or several. Mrs. IWS definitely doesn't endorse any further purchases, but is totally fine with me stocking up on ammo. So I did that instead ;)

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

It's too bad the nicer brands haven't come down in price, I would like another BCM or a Daniel Defense. What I really need is optics for the rifles I bought the last several years.

I understand SilencerCo layed off 100 employees. I think they are near Salt Lake City. I wonder how Robinson Armament is doing.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

paulrobots wrote: March 14th, 2017, 8:12 pm It's too bad the nicer brands haven't come down in price, I would like another BCM or a Daniel Defense. What I really need is optics for the rifles I bought the last several years.

I understand SilencerCo layed off 100 employees. I think they are near Salt Lake City. I wonder how Robinson Armament is doing.
Interesting. I'm still waiting for that "Hearing Protection Act" to get passed, although I realize it's a long shot now. I'd put suppressors on literally everything I own if I could without the $200 tax stamp and lengthy FBI background check. Seems an odd time for SilencerCo to lay off people if that's coming down the pike.... business would explode.

Nicer brands will come down too, probably sooner rather than later. The bottom just fell out of the pre-election panicky market.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

iWriteStuff wrote: March 15th, 2017, 7:40 am
paulrobots wrote: March 14th, 2017, 8:12 pm It's too bad the nicer brands haven't come down in price, I would like another BCM or a Daniel Defense. What I really need is optics for the rifles I bought the last several years.

Interesting. I'm still waiting for that "Hearing Protection Act" to get passed, although I realize it's a long shot now. I'd put suppressors on literally everything I own if I could without the $200 tax stamp and lengthy FBI background check. Seems an odd time for SilencerCo to lay off people if that's coming down the pike.... business would explode.

Nicer brands will come down too, probably sooner rather than later. The bottom just fell out of the pre-election panicky market.
The issue is that suppressor enthusiasts were convinced the Hearing Protection Act is a done deal. Therefore everybody stopped buying suppressors until they could do so without the tax stamp, causing sales to plummet and really hurting manufacturers and dealers.
I would love a Silencerco Osprey in .45 and an OSS Helix 5.56, and I am hoping that desperation over low sales numbers causes prices to drop - though I understand OSS has a big government contract so their models aren't likely to come down.

i am also divided between buying a .330 AAC Blackout upper or an AR-10. I'm hoping prices for one come down enough to make it an easy decision.