Remake of Beauty and the Beast: Yay or Nay

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Remake of Beauty and the Beast: Yay or Nay

Post by kittycat51 »

Before you parents run out to see the remake of Disney's Beauty and the Beast, I thought you should be aware...According to Matt Walsh, a popular blogger for The Blaze, who I think is usually SPOT ON, wrote this the other day: "The new “Beauty and the Beast” film will add a subplot that definitely was not in the original. Specifically, one of the male characters will “explore his sexuality” throughout the movie, leading to, as the director describes it, a “delicious payoff” where the character will engage in an “exclusively gay moment.”

Now, even before taking into consideration this character’s explicit homosexuality, it’s already deeply deranged and disgusting to include an exploration of repressed sexual urges in a kid’s movie about talking household utensils. The director says that the gay character, LeFou, develops a crush on another male character, leading to a dynamic where ” one day LeFou wants to be Gaston and on another day wants to kiss Gaston.” That’s weird and perverse on several levels."

I LOVED the original animated version. However I will not be seeing this one. Luckily with all boys and older at that, they could care less about this movie. (It's the daughter-in-laws and granddaughters I worry about.)

What are your thoughts? Does this bother you in the least? There is so much of this going on in TV land anyway, are we becoming complacent and numb to it's tentacles? Disney is really taking a huge step backwards in my eyes. Here you think it's all good and innocent for our young ones, (or us) because it comes from Walt Disney! I believe Walt is rolling over in his grave.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Remake of Beauty and the Beast: Yay or Nay

Post by Lizzy60 »

I haven't believed the Disney was good and innocent for a long time now.

From the reading I've done, and observation, I believe that many people have now come to the point that they feel it's good and advisable to expose children to gayness, so that they grow up believing it's a normal option as far as sexual orientation. They feel this will give us a tolerant, accepting, and non-homophobic generation in a few short years.

A significant number of LDS believe this also. I have no idea of the percentage, but my sister, a BYU employee and in a ward with several professors, told me 5 years ago that most of them supported gay marriage. Then there's the Affirmation group, and all the Mormons who march in the annual SLC gay pride parade.

We are toast.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Lizzy60 wrote: March 7th, 2017, 2:08 pm A significant number of LDS believe this also. I have no idea of the percentage, but my sister, a BYU employee and in a ward with several professors, told me 5 years ago that most of them supported gay marriage. Then there's the Affirmation group, and all the Mormons who march in the annual SLC gay pride parade.

We are toast.
In my current calling, I serve with a lot of members in the 18-30 age group. I can also say that these kinds of attitudes are VERY prevalent in that generation. The indoctrination effort has been very successful in this country.

Sandinista
captain of 100

Post by Sandinista »

The Disney question has been a major point of discussion with one of our daughter's-in-law who showers here two kids with Disney stuff. We were first alerted to Disney promotion of the Disney LBGT agenda by son-in-law and one of our daughter's who did a summer internship arranged by BYU (Marriott School of Business) at Disney World in Florida. The LBGT agenda permeates everything the Disney Corporation does. They pointed out numerous LBGT agenda items in a number of Disney movies including Frozen among others, told of Disney internal memos they saw promoting the LBGT agenda, etc. It was really eye opening and we took the time to verify that what they told us was indeed true. Since then we have boycotted anything "Disney", thus the conflict with the daughter-in-law who loves Disney. It's just another example of the subtle, yet powerful ways Satan works his way into our lives and influences our thoughts and actions.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

Bothered? Yes. Surprised? Not at all. The vicious gay agenda is real and spawned by the children of fools of the father of lies.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

I would not go just so I would not be supporting the message. Voting with my dollars.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

I hear everyone up in arms about a gay character and the heroine with some revealing photos....

I am more disturbed by the image of the beast. Garner a little sympathy for the goat-horned beast that looks alot like the pagan image of....

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Disney has been doing this for years and years. Search "subliminal Disney movie" on youtube--lots and lots.

I never would have watched it anyway, but I'm glad to know about it.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

Lizzy60 wrote: March 7th, 2017, 2:08 pm I haven't believed the Disney was good and innocent for a long time now.

From the reading I've done, and observation, I believe that many people have now come to the point that they feel it's good and advisable to expose children to gayness, so that they grow up believing it's a normal option as far as sexual orientation. They feel this will give us a tolerant, accepting, and non-homophobic generation in a few short years.

A significant number of LDS believe this also. I have no idea of the percentage, but my sister, a BYU employee and in a ward with several professors, told me 5 years ago that most of them supported gay marriage. Then there's the Affirmation group, and all the Mormons who march in the annual SLC gay pride parade.

We are toast.

Literally. I mean, your generation is toast in that it will eventually die off, and your great-grandchildren won't care one whit what you once thought about gays. Just like you don't have a problem with racial integration now, and what your great-grandmother once thought about it has nothing to do with your views.

Remember, your great-grandmother never came around to racial integration. She just died, along with the rest of her generation. She most likely died thinking that the world would burn before God would allow interracial marriages in His temples.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Captainfearnot, I think that it's possible that great-grandchildren of people, oh, say in their forties right now, will have a whole lot more to worry about than lgbt agendas. Like survival, supposing they are alive. The signs of the times are pretty strong. I don't know about Christ's return; I'm talking about the signs of the end of a society. The whole earth is showing signs of being at the end: social structures, economic structures, political structures. It's about to be wiped off the face of the earth. And I think the only thing that can save us is to turn to Christ with full purpose of heart, being willing to give up every earthly thing, having childlike trust, and do all that He tells us to do. Once He truly has our hearts, then we might be saved. But if we die, all glory to the Father.

If we don't turn to Him in real humility with full purpose of heart now, casting aside contentions, jarrings, envyings, pride, and all else the Lord said prevented Zion in Missouri we will find ourselves cast out and trodden under (Book of Mormon reference), and our prayers having none effect to rescue us or to ease our pain.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Literally. I mean, your generation is toast in that it will eventually die off, and your great-grandchildren won't care one whit what you once thought about gays. Just like you don't have a problem with racial integration now, and what your great-grandmother once thought about it has nothing to do with your views.

Remember, your great-grandmother never came around to racial integration. She just died, along with the rest of her generation. She most likely died thinking that the world would burn before God would allow interracial marriages in His temples.
This is why our consumer society is geared towards making absolutely certain that people are segregated by age. Old people are presented as dumb and unenlightened, to be ignored. When they die their values die with them. This is also why I would not be surprised in the least that if you were frozen, like that guy in "Idiocrasy," and revived 100 years from now you might see Church adds featuring same sex couples conducting family home evening with their children.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

captainfearnot wrote: March 7th, 2017, 7:53 pm Literally. I mean, your generation is toast in that it will eventually die off, and your great-grandchildren won't care one whit what you once thought about gays. Just like you don't have a problem with racial integration now, and what your great-grandmother once thought about it has nothing to do with your views.

The two are not equivalent. The difference being that there's scriptural support for interracial marriage (Numbers 12, for example), but homosexuality--and by association, gay marriage--has always been condemned. Allowing the former is essentially repentance, the latter is apostasy.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

Fiannan wrote: March 7th, 2017, 10:51 pmThis is why our consumer society is geared towards making absolutely certain that people are segregated by age. Old people are presented as dumb and unenlightened, to be ignored. When they die their values die with them. This is also why I would not be surprised in the least that if you were frozen, like that guy in "Idiocrasy," and revived 100 years from now you might see Church adds featuring same sex couples conducting family home evening with their children.

You might be right about society at large, but I'm talking about the church, which is nothing if not a gerontocracy. Old people are running the show, and their values are the church's values.

But what I'm talking about is throwing the values of dead generations down the memory hole. It's abundantly clear that the church has no interest in reminding anyone of what went before. The doctrinal and institutional campaign against miscegenation in the church dwarfs current efforts opposing same-sex marriage, both in intensity and duration. But the current leadership would be happy if we would just all forget about that—because we no longer hold those values, of course, but also because it stands as an example of the transient nature of those values. For years church leaders taught that miscegenation would be the downfall of society, and that just didn't happen. So it's natural for the younger generation (if they're aware of the history) to wonder why they should believe what the current crop is saying about the future downfall of society.

More generally, though, older generations fretting about the moral decline of younger generations is a story as old as time. And quite a boring one, I might add.

Zion2080
captain of 100

Post by Zion2080 »

tribrac wrote: March 7th, 2017, 3:44 pm I hear everyone up in arms about a gay character and the heroine with some revealing photos....

I am more disturbed by the image of the beast. Garner a little sympathy for the goat-horned beast that looks alot like the pagan image of....

i think the beast looks like the Krampus or a satanic creature.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

h_p wrote: March 8th, 2017, 9:00 amThe two are not equivalent. The difference being that there's scriptural support for interracial marriage (Numbers 12, for example), but homosexuality--and by association, gay marriage--has always been condemned. Allowing the former is essentially repentance, the latter is apostasy.

They are equivalent in one aspect. The average member of the church in, say, the 1940s was as certain about his beliefs regarding miscegenation as the average member of the church is today about same-sex marriage. Sure, it's easy in hindsight to handwave a hundred years of LDS teachings and culture as a misunderstanding (I guess Brigham Young never read Numbers 12). But those people knew their stuff in their time, and would not find your rationale the least bit convincing.

And as adamant as you are now about the rock-solid doctrine concerning homosexuality, future generations will be able to handwave it away just as easily as you just did here with the doctrines of the past. Whatever explanation they come up with for why all of us were dead wrong is sure to be just as flimsy. But we won't be there to argue about it.
Last edited by captainfearnot on March 8th, 2017, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Nay!!! :( :ymsick:

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

captainfearnot wrote: March 8th, 2017, 12:47 pm And as adamant as you are now about the rock-solid doctrine concerning homosexuality, future generations will be able to handwave it away just as easily as you just did here with the doctrines of the past. Whatever explanation they come up with for why all of us were dead wrong is sure to be just as flimsy. But we won't be there to argue about it.
I actually don't disagree with what you're saying, though I don't believe it's right. It very well could happen. It's always amazing to me what we can rationalize. I'm amazed at what I've been able to rationalize in the past, myself, and it makes me think about what I'm still rationalizing.

But God will have the final say on both matters.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Beauty and the Beast has a gay character!? Well, that's just disgusting. Children need to know that love should only be between a woman and a giant horned animal. Yup, nothing wrong with the classical version at all.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

This discussion reminds me of a meme I saw the other day mentioning people that are offended about a gay character in Beauty and the Beast "because it's not the classic story about beastiality and Stockholm Syndrome".

Zowieink
captain of 100

Post by Zowieink »

Silver Pie; Right on. Good heavens, Disney is playing the consumer card. I will see the movie. I expect it will be excellent. I am not worried about a character discovering he has "same sex attraction" as its really, really prevalent these days. Now, what that "pay-off" is, I don't know, but I really doubt that Gaston is going to have a sexual encounter on the screen with his tag-along.

It will much more subtle. Kinda like in Star Trek "Beyond" where Sulu is shown walking hand in hand with his "life mate" and daughter for about 3 seconds. So, get a grip, people. Its a movie, a "fairy tale", pun intended! I do think parent should see it first before taking children to it, to make sure that there are no surprises. But, come on, Disney is a stock driven corporate entity. Its inevitable that this stuff started coming out, especially with the pressure of the LGBT agendas.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

This bothers me. I will most likely see the movie, unless I hear about a seriously inappropriate level of homosexuality, but I will not see the movie in a theater or with children present.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

I have a strong dislike for Disney princesses and most other things Disney. Never planned to see the movie anyway, especially with my kids. I am admittedly ambivalent about the gay character. I'm more concerned about the message the story sends to girls. Stockholm Syndrome gets thrown around and it's not quite that. But I do believe it promotes abusive relationships. How many battered women have you met that say, "but he promised he'll change for me" "he's got a really sweet side, just a bad temper"? It's nice and lovely to teach that people can change. It's not nice to teach that people changing is dependent on a woman.

Back to the gay character though, it makes me sad. Disney didn't do anything with this attention. They made the gay character an oaf, a fool. Now parents are worried and will pay money to make sure it's okay for their kids. Then they'll decide it is and pay more money to see it again with their kids. See what Disney did there?

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

marc wrote: March 8th, 2017, 3:42 pm Beauty and the Beast has a gay character!? Well, that's just disgusting. Children need to know that love should only be between a woman and a giant horned animal. Yup, nothing wrong with the classical version at all.
=)) =))

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

BrianM wrote: March 8th, 2017, 4:04 pm This discussion reminds me of a meme I saw the other day mentioning people that are offended about a gay character in Beauty and the Beast "because it's not the classic story about beastiality and Stockholm Syndrome".
:)) =))

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Yahtzee wrote: March 8th, 2017, 5:20 pmI'm more concerned about the message the story sends to girls. Stockholm Syndrome gets thrown around and it's not quite that. But I do believe it promotes abusive relationships. How many battered women have you met that say, "but he promised he'll change for me" "he's got a really sweet side, just a bad temper"? It's nice and lovely to teach that people can change. It's not nice to teach that people changing is dependent on a woman.
Amen!