Oaks: Push Back Against the World

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
inho
captain of 1,000

Oaks: Push Back Against the World

Post by inho »

Push Back Against the World
By Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, BYU–Hawaii Commencement Address, February 25, 2017

Here is a quote (emphasis mine):
These are challenging times, filled with big worries: wars and rumors of wars, possible epidemics of infectious diseases, droughts, floods, and global warming. Seacoast cities are concerned with the rising level of the ocean, which will bring ocean tides to their doorsteps or over their thresholds. Global warming is also affecting agriculture and wildlife. Nations whose prosperity depends on world peace and free trade worry about disturbing developments that threaten either or both of these. We are even challenged by the politics of conflict and the uncertainties sponsored by the aggressive new presidential administration in the world’s most powerful nation.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Oaks: Push Back Against the World

Post by Fiannan »

Maybe he and Pope Francis can become Facebook friends now.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

:( Perhaps it is time to sell my beach front properties. As much as I love to just watch the ocean and walk out onto the sands, it can also be terrifying, as are all the forces of nature.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

I am so glad that he took on issues like our mean 'ol putty tat, I mean Donald Trump, and global warning. Would hate for him to dwell on trivial matters such as the agenda of the powers-that-be that are at the roots of all the evils he alluded to.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.lds.org/prophets-and-apostl ... d?lang=eng

"Of course, pushing back against the world includes as one of its most important elements keeping the commandments of God. Graduates, I plead with each of you not to seek happiness in the glittering temptations and attractions of the world. As the scriptures teach, wickedness never was happiness. Those who yield to the enticing of Satan may, as the scripture says, “enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season” (Hebrews 11:25), but that kind of pleasure can never lead to lasting happiness or eternal joy. Over time, yielding to the influences of Satan will only halt eternal progress and bring feelings of darkness, anger, hate, and misery.

While speaking of sin, I will also speak of the dangers of some elements of national and ethnic cultures, and even family cultures, that come from the traditions and practices of men. When the practices of these cultures are contrary to gospel covenants and culture, we must push back and separate ourselves from them. We must do this with cultural practices that accommodate dishonesty or dependency or tolerate sexual relations outside marriage. The Apostle Paul warned: “Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ” (Colossians 2:8).

We should also push back against the worldly practice that has been described as the culture of dependency—the expectation that the extended family or the community or the government will provide what you desire with a minimum of effort on your part. As required by the spiritual growth that is the purpose of the plan of salvation, the gospel teaching of self-reliance pushes back against the idea or culture of dependency."

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

inho wrote: March 6th, 2017, 12:56 am Push Back Against the World
By Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, BYU–Hawaii Commencement Address, February 25, 2017

These are challenging times, ... Global warming is also affecting agriculture and wildlife. Nations whose prosperity depends on world peace and free trade worry about disturbing developments that threaten either or both of these. ...

Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion OTEC & SWAC Sea Water Air Conditioning technologies have the potential to cool the earth and turn arid coastlines into productive farmland and even greatly limit the destructive power of tropical cyclones. HINT = invest in properties previously in the path of hurricanes, etc.

Several commercial size facilities are now being planned and will build-out over the next decade. :ymparty:

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Interesting...

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

9. Now we have a world where people are confused.
If you don't believe it, go and watch the news.
We can get direction all along our way,
If we heed the prophets-follow what they say.

Chorus
Follow the prophet, follow the prophet,
Follow the prophet; don't go astray.
Follow the prophet, follow the prophet,
Follow the prophet; he knows the way.

Words and music: Duane E. Hiatt, b. 1937. (c) 1989 IRI

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

So now Mormons will start believing in carbon taxes?

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Global warming is really bad here. We had 3 feet of snow this winter. At 2000 ft elevation. Lots of roofs collapsed. Now we are having floods. Curse you global warming for the Harshest winter I've seen here.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

I had a picture come to my mind while laying down and the earth was tipped over so the north pole was facing the equator, causing the ice to melt.

Hogmeister
captain of 100

Post by Hogmeister »

I do not believe our apostles are equally informed on every subject and why would they be. They are busy in their callings and probably read the scriptures more than they research the inns and outs of current affairs. I believe many of them have to rely on establishment controlled press for their worldview. I miss ETB for sure.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

These are challenging times, filled with big worries: wars and rumors of wars, possible epidemics of infectious diseases, droughts, floods, and global warming. Seacoast cities are concerned with the rising level of the ocean, which will bring ocean tides to their doorsteps or over their thresholds. Global warming is also affecting agriculture and wildlife. Nations whose prosperity depends on world peace and free trade worry about disturbing developments that threaten either or both of these. We are even challenged by the politics of conflict and the uncertainties sponsored by the aggressive new presidential administration in the world’s most powerful nation.

I don't think he is making any prophesies or predictions here, he is just addressing how we should deal with the concerns of our times.

Regards,

George Clay

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

We know that the elements will melt with fervent heat and that the tares will be gathered and burned. Sounds like warming on a global basis to me. As for the current man-made global warming theories, I don't buy into those.

Thus, at the danger of repetitiously and redundantly repeating myself:
Follow the prophet...

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Fiannan wrote: March 6th, 2017, 6:46 am So now Mormons will start believing in carbon taxes?
You say that as if you aren't one. I'm never sure about the posters here, well, other than myself who is true blue.

GradyKeyser
captain of 100

Post by GradyKeyser »

Hogmeister wrote: March 6th, 2017, 8:17 am I do not believe our apostles are equally informed on every subject and why would they be. They are busy in their callings and probably read the scriptures more than they research the inns and outs of current affairs. I believe many of them have to rely on establishment controlled press for their worldview. I miss ETB for sure.

They are destroyed for lack of knowledge, there are no excuses especially for Gods mouth piece, nothing should go unnoticed for a prophet, a true prophet that is.

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

wow.. he mentioned Global Warming? come on we don't live on a globe... thats a lie... #flatearth#nasalies

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

Silver wrote: March 6th, 2017, 8:52 am We know that the elements will melt with fervent heat and that the tares will be gathered and burned. Sounds like warming on a global basis to me. As for the current man-made global warming theories, I don't buy into those.

Follow the prophet...
2 Nephi 4:34
O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.
Follow the Lord....

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

These are challenging times, filled with big worries: wars and rumors of wars, possible epidemics of infectious diseases, droughts, floods, and global warming. Seacoast cities are concerned with the rising level of the ocean, which will bring ocean tides to their doorsteps or over their thresholds. Global warming is also affecting agriculture and wildlife. Nations whose prosperity depends on world peace and free trade worry about disturbing developments that threaten either or both of these. [b]We are even challenged by the politics of conflict and the uncertainties sponsored by the aggressive new presidential administration in the world’s most powerful nation.[/b]
I think the OP meant for us to spend more time discussing the section in red. Or cussing the "aggressive new president".

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Bro. Oaks believes in Global warming??? #-o

GradyKeyser
captain of 100

Post by GradyKeyser »

Our political view must match our religious view or we are hypocrites and blasphemers. Global warming garbage is the devils trick to install sustainable development and world peace (NWO). This education system is corrupted and teaches the people to compromise and be double minded. Separating from the wicked is stark and when doing so has no resemblance living like the Romans do.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

cheese is good
Last edited by tribrac on March 6th, 2017, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

… Religion in the contemporary world is discussed by region, out of context, and often in oblique and misleading ways.”
We should push back against such incomplete and inaccurate portrayals of our histories and our people.
This quote is from the same talk. If this is the standard we apply to the " contemporary world" shouldn't it be the same standard we apply to our own history?

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

Another insight into how Elder Oaks views things about church history...from LDS Newsroom.
But not everything that’s true is useful. I am a lawyer, and I hear something from a client. It’s true, but I’ll be disciplined professionally if I share it because it’s part of the attorney-client privilege. There’s a husband-wife privilege, there’s a priest-penitent privilege, and so on. That’s an illustration of the fact that not everything that’s true is useful to be shared.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

sandman45 wrote: March 6th, 2017, 12:55 pm
Silver wrote: March 6th, 2017, 8:52 am We know that the elements will melt with fervent heat and that the tares will be gathered and burned. Sounds like warming on a global basis to me. As for the current man-made global warming theories, I don't buy into those.

Follow the prophet...
2 Nephi 4:34
O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.
Follow the Lord....
Yes, follow the Lord by following the prophet as instructed and exemplified in His actions:
Ephesians 4:
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

The Lord loves His prophets and quoted them throughout his mortal ministry. Then he emphasized the importance of the words of Isaiah when he visited some of the survivors who had gathered at the temple in Bountiful. A temple, the keys for the operation of which lie within the stewardship of...wait for it...a prophet.

Signed,
True Blue