If things got bad here in America....

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
commonwealth
captain of 100

If things got bad here in America....

Post by commonwealth »

Would you every consider moving to another country? If so, which one? What if the discord and rancor got so bad that you thought you could do better elsewhere? What if you saw another country that held similar values to yours, while your current country was sinking morally/ethically/etc? At what point would you entertain the idea? Possibilities: closest to us philosophically may be England/Australia/Canada. Other random possibilities: Ireland, Mexico, South America - (Peru, Argentina, etc), continental Europe (France, Poland, Switzerland), Asia (Singapore, China, Japan). Where would you go? Would they have you/us?

Different
captain of 100

Re: If things got bad here in America....

Post by Different »

As bad as America is, why do you think everyone wants to go there? The rest of the world in comparison isnt that great. In addition, in America you are blessed with rights not found in most other places globally.

In short, I think its a horrid idea to live in some of those countries you listed, especially Europe now

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

I'm not going anywhere. Most places wouldn't allow me to move there with my 2nd amendment equalizers.

Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton,
Old times there are not forgotten.
Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land!
In Dixie's Land, where I was born in,
early on one frosty mornin'.
I wish I was in Dixie, Hooray! Hooray!
In Dixie's Land I'll take my stand,
to live and die in Dixie.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Silver wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 10:43 am I'm not going anywhere. Most places wouldn't allow me to move there with my 2nd amendment equalizers.

Ya know, the older I get, the less married to my guns I become. If I was allowed a shotgun and a target rifle, I might consider that a good enough reason to move to some place less insane than this country is becoming. Honestly, Canada sounds pretty good.... Not to mention their silver coins are pretty awesome. Am I right? ;)

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

iWriteStuff wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 10:49 am
Silver wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 10:43 am I'm not going anywhere. Most places wouldn't allow me to move there with my 2nd amendment equalizers.

Ya know, the older I get, the less married to my guns I become. If I was allowed a shotgun and a target rifle, I might consider that a good enough reason to move to some place less insane than this country is becoming. Honestly, Canada sounds pretty good.... Not to mention their silver coins are pretty awesome. Am I right? ;)
If they'd take that less than flattering image off the other side, the maple leaf coins would be awesome. LOL.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

If America falls... so does the world

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

SmallFarm wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 11:25 am If America falls... so does the world
You don't think the rest of the world could get by without us? I thought they were already planning for that....

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

The reality is that I am staying here, but if I had a lot of money and could live in an expensive guard-gated community not more than an hour away from the ocean, I would move to Israel.

SouEu
captain of 50

Post by SouEu »

WHEN things get bad here in America....

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Silver wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 11:12 am
iWriteStuff wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 10:49 am

If they'd take that less than flattering image off the other side, the maple leaf coins would be awesome. LOL.

Funny you should say that - the Britania coins are slightly better (in terms of "flattering images), but I think the Australian coins have the best likeness. As per the face of the coin, I actually liked their 2016 "Five Blessing" coins better than the usual maple leaf.... very intricate details.

But yeah, I'm not sure they'd even take a Yank like me. :( Maybe Mexico? :ymhug:

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

If?

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Where else is there to go? Our country's time table may be different, but it is all interconnected, we all will fall down.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I used to live less than 20 miles from Canada and regularly crossed the border. In Canada a Christian activist was convicted of violating hate speech restrictions for speaking out against the sin of homosexuality. In the UK several street preachers have been convicted for disorderly conduct because they were preaching their understanding of the gospel in public. Australia has similar hate speech laws that can criminalize religious speech. And other countries are much worse, therefore at this time there is no country I would want to move to.

If things got so bad in the US that I could more freely pursue income and follow my religion in other countries, I would want to go somewhere where temples can be found. That would include Paris, Auckland, NZ, and several cities in Australia. But before things got so bad that I would be leaving North America I expect that I would be able to return to the Confederate States of America or the Republic of Texas.

By the way, if we have any Texans here I'm a day late but Happy Texas Independence day!

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

I would like to go somewhere tropical. Tonga, salmoa. Would really like to buy or live on a freehold island. I have my eye on one if I can manage to make enough I might just buy it.

But there are parts of the USA that no matter how bad it got they wouldn't be affected very much at all.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

iWriteStuff wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 11:31 am
SmallFarm wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 11:25 am If America falls... so does the world
You don't think the rest of the world could get by without us? I thought they were already planning for that....
The bigger they are the harder they fall. It doesn't matter how prepared they are, we're going to shake the Earth.

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

If things got bad in America

There really wouldn't be anywhere else to run to. That's the reality of it. I don't believe as part of the "Last Days" there really will be a given country that will be safe from being overtaken by the wrath of God. Places within many countries where it will be less serious? Possibly. Like Wilford Woodruff said, the cities that utterly annihilate God's people will be utterly destroyed, like many cities were utterly destroyed at the death of Christ, only this destruction will occur all over the Earth rather than in the Americas.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

I have a non-LDS Christian friend who lives in Texas. He and his wife got sick of where the US was heading under King Barak I. They moved to New Zealand. They got sick of the way they do things in NZ and so they moved here to Australia. They then got sick of the way they do things here and so they moved back to the US. I personally think that problems and attitudes are fully transportable. Ultimately, the Lord will bless His people no matter where they are, just in different ways according to their various situations.

By the way BrianJ, those hate speech laws you mentioned are under review. It looks like they may be repealed to give back more freedom of speech. Although we are quite an international backwater here, things are really starting to heat up and be contested in parliament by the conservatives. We still don't have gay marriage and there is a significant backlash against the regressive left.

mhewett
captain of 100

Post by mhewett »

iWriteStuff wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 11:31 am
Well here is the problem, if the US goes down, we all do because the only reason there are free nations is because America protects us. China would love nothing more than to get their hands on our natural resources in Australia, Russia and china would love to divide up the US, England, New Zealand, any other western nation, gone. While America stands, we have freedom, if it was to go, who will stop China, Russia and any other lunatic nation from coming after all of us. It's game over.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Come on chaps, it's got to be Yorkshire!
You can all stay at my place.
I'll tell my butler we're expecting guests.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Robin Hood wrote: March 4th, 2017, 9:02 am Come on chaps, it's got to be Yorkshire!
You can all stay at my place.
I'll tell my butler we're expecting guests.
If I had to leave America it'd have to be the UK. I think I'd like to try to find someplace near Farnworth, the place that my last name (Farnsworth) comes from.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

When I retired from my career, we considered relocating to the West Coast of Denmark where my wife is from and still has family and friends and my wife and I served a mission 2001-2003, or to Northeast England where my wife served her mission and we lived 1976-1978. Our kids still live here in Arizona, as so do we. Personally, I'm convinced we aren't going to beat the secret combinations; I think it will take the prophesied cleansing of America to stop them. And after that, as I understand, the Lord will cause many people in other lands to relocate to America. Sso unless we both feel constrained to go elsewhere, I expect we will remain in Arizona for now.