Forum Rules Update (2017 Feb 23) - Discussion

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Re: Forum Rules Update (2017 Feb 23) - Discussion

Post by freedomforall »

silver wrote:To Trump lovers:
Thou shalt not kill.
Are you a paid protester?

Your continued ranting causes me to recall campus protesters from the sixties carrying signs and yelling at the top of their lungs, spewing hatred and strife over the Vietnam conflict.
Then upon returning home, soldiers like myself were treated like a bad plague, being called baby killers and other vile names and labels. This treatment has left Vietnam Vets with animosity in their bosoms that is never forgotten.

On the other hand, I know that that conflict was unnecessary. I know that, under the Nixon administration, 50,000 troops died for nothing, and this is something that I and many others have to bear. Read None Call It Conspiracy.

A few excerpts are:

"The United States has been financing and equipping both sides of the terrible Vietnamese war, killing our own soldiers by proxy. Again, the landscape painters in the mass media have kept the American public from learning this provable fact."

"The Rockefeller and Eaton families have now joined forces to build war production plants behind the Iron Curtain so that the Communists can become a bigger threat to U. S. survival. America spends $70 billion a year ostensibly on defense and then the Rockefellers build aluminum mills for the Communists. Only the absence of a formal declaration of war in Vietnam keeps the Eatons and Rockefellers from being actionable for treason. They have the blood of nearly 50,000 American servicemen on their hands."

"Meanwhile, nearly 50,000 Americans have died in Vietnam, many of them killed by weapons which the Rockefellers directly or indirectly supplied to our avowed enemies. Only the technicality of the lack of a formal declaration of war prevents the Rockefellers' trading in the blood of dead Americans from being actionable as treason."

So your continued ranting about Trump is a moot point as well as being a strawman by comparison. I have more reason, a more valid purpose and a deeper sense of dislike and aversion than you can possibly imagine. Yet I try to keep a civil tongue in my head so I don't allow this repugnance to eat me up. The way I see it, your actions will at some point bring you down, it will cause you to hate more and more, it feeding upon itself until it overtakes you. Even the scriptures I posted have had little to no affect, which seems to corroborate my thinking.

I wonder if you have the mindset of "I will keep posting hate no matter what happens?" Having an agenda like this can hurt you more than anyone else.

Alma 41:11
11 And now, my son, all men that are in a state of nature, or I would say, in a carnal state, are in the gall of bitterness and in the bonds of iniquity; they are without God in the world, and they have gone contrary to the nature of God; therefore, they are in a state contrary to the nature of happiness.

Mosiah 3:19
19 For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

freedomforall wrote: May 31st, 2017, 1:42 am
Thou shalt not kill.

Your continued ranting causes me to recall campus protesters from the sixties carrying signs and yelling at the top of their lungs, spewing hatred and strife over the Vietnam conflict.
Then upon returning home, soldiers like myself were treated like a bad plague, being called baby killers and other vile names and labels. This treatment has left Vietnam Vets with animosity in their bosoms that is never forgotten.

On the other hand, I know that that conflict was unnecessary. I know that, under the Nixon administration, 50,000 troops died for nothing, and this is something that I and many others have to bear. Read None Call It Conspiracy.

A few excerpts are:

"The United States has been financing and equipping both sides of the terrible Vietnamese war, killing our own soldiers by proxy. Again, the landscape painters in the mass media have kept the American public from learning this provable fact."

"The Rockefeller and Eaton families have now joined forces to build war production plants behind the Iron Curtain so that the Communists can become a bigger threat to U. S. survival. America spends $70 billion a year ostensibly on defense and then the Rockefellers build aluminum mills for the Communists. Only the absence of a formal declaration of war in Vietnam keeps the Eatons and Rockefellers from being actionable for treason. They have the blood of nearly 50,000 American servicemen on their hands."

"Meanwhile, nearly 50,000 Americans have died in Vietnam, many of them killed by weapons which the Rockefellers directly or indirectly supplied to our avowed enemies. Only the technicality of the lack of a formal declaration of war prevents the Rockefellers' trading in the blood of dead Americans from being actionable as treason."

So your continued ranting about Trump is a moot point as well as being a strawman by comparison. I have more reason, a more valid purpose and a deeper sense of dislike and aversion than you can possibly imagine. Yet I try to keep a civil tongue in my head so I don't allow this repugnance to eat me up. The way I see it, your actions will at some point bring you down, it will cause you to hate more and more, it feeding upon itself until it overtakes you. Even the scriptures I posted have had little to no affect, which seems to corroborate my thinking.

I wonder if you have the mindset of "I will keep posting hate no matter what happens?" Having an agenda like this can hurt you more than anyone else.

11 And now, my son, all men that are in a state of nature, or I would say, in a carnal state, are in the gall of bitterness and in the bonds of iniquity; they are without God in the world, and they have gone contrary to the nature of God; therefore, they are in a state contrary to the nature of happiness.

19 For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.
FFA, this thread is not the place to discuss our differences. Let's do it in another thread.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Silver wrote: May 31st, 2017, 5:20 am
freedomforall wrote: May 31st, 2017, 1:42 am
Thou shalt not kill.

A few excerpts are:

FFA, this thread is not the place to discuss our differences. Let's do it in another thread.
You got spanked, so lets go to another thread. :))

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Silver wrote: May 26th, 2017, 7:18 am
freedomforall wrote: May 26th, 2017, 12:20 am To Trump haters:

Matthew 5
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, ...

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? ...

47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? ...

Luke 6
35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
To Trump lovers:
Thou shalt not kill.
Although we ALL agree with this commandment, in October Conference 2001 just after the U.S. invaded Iraq, President Hinckley stated in his talk:
We are people of peace. We are followers of the Christ who was and is the Prince of Peace. But there are times when we must stand up for right and decency, for freedom and civilization, just as Moroni rallied his people in his day to the defense of their wives, their children, and the cause of liberty (see Alma 48:10).

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

BrianM wrote: February 23rd, 2017, 10:43 pm I would be interested in your feedback, questions, comments, etc..
I am assuming you are a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and as such, you are a member of the church dedicated to hosting LDS conversations online but you are culpable of the dissemination and promotion of false doctrine as you are in a position as the forum host to moderate the site when these issues arise.

When topics are contrary to the teachings of the church, contrary to the teachings of prophets and apostles, there are no opinions. It's false doctrine by trying to convince others that their opinion is right despite the official doctrine of the church. By not stopping these kind of posts and behavior, you are promoting and allowing the dissemination of false doctrine as well as confusing others that may read the posts on this forum.

“When the Prophet speaks, … the debate is over” (Ensign, Nov. 1978, p. 108).
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1979/08/the- ... r?lang=eng

I'm extremely disappointed that you would take this stance to allow the promotion of this kind of blatantly false teaching on this forum. Members of the church are to speak the truth and be honest in all their dealing with their fellow man.

I'm all for having people express their opinion on various gospel topics WHEN there isn't official church doctrine on a topic or a set church prescient. There are hundreds of such threads on this forum dedicated to opinions and speculation on topics that we don't know anything about as there is no official stance by the church. What I object to though is you allowing people to try to convince others that their opinion is doctrine when there is already an official stance by the church.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I suppose we can just agree to disagree. I respect your right to share your opinion on this.

For reference, Sunain is referring to the following post: The Millennium is the Earth's Sabbath Day

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the post by LDS Anarchist. What I'm saying is I am okay with him sharing his opinions on that subject. I see no reason to censor it.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

There are members of this forum promoting Adam-God doctrine and creating a mighty stir in the process. I say have a private section for them, away from public view and scrutiny, in order for those involved with such controversial doctrine can fight among themselves until they drop from exhaustion, yet members of the church who believe the scriptures as written can continue to discuss gospel topics without interference and bigotry from those with a big pot stirring device getting into the mix.
Why allow the whole barrel of apples to be affected by a few that just can't accept LDS orthodoxy? Unless, contention, controversy and disturbing discussion is the new forum decorum, in which case, get rid of board warnings as well, since there will be differences of opinion that will be contentious...contention that could have been hampered by not allowing unorthodox doctrine on board in the first place.

Perhaps this verse will help us follow the right pattern of behavioral conduct and doctrinal continuity.

D&C 132:8
8 Behold, mine house is a house of order, saith the Lord God, and not a house of confusion.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

freedomforall wrote: September 17th, 2017, 5:22 pm There are members of this forum promoting Adam-God doctrine and creating a mighty stir in the process. I say have a private section for them, away from public view and scrutiny, in order for those involved with such controversial doctrine can fight among themselves until they drop from exhaustion, yet members of the church who believe the scriptures as written can continue to discuss gospel topics without interference and bigotry from those with a big pot stirring device getting into the mix.
Why allow the whole barrel of apples to be affected by a few that just can't accept LDS orthodoxy? Unless, contention, controversy and disturbing discussion is the new forum decorum, in which case, get rid of board warnings as well, since there will be differences of opinion that will be contentious...contention that could have been hampered by not allowing unorthodox doctrine on board in the first place.

Perhaps this verse will help us follow the right pattern of behavioral conduct and doctrinal continuity.

8 Behold, mine house is a house of order, saith the Lord God, and not a house of confusion.
The spirit in which they come reveals the spirit they've listed to obey IMHO. The deception and contention reveals they are here to soothe their own guilty consciences in a most unhealthy way by attempting to destroy our beliefs to justify their own apostasy. This behavior reveals the fallacy because if their doctrine were true there would be a spirit of love and invitation. Adam God Doctrine is the pretext of their apostasy that serves as their justification to not only apostatize but also to live a perverted gospel that includes heretical polygamy. Bashing us is an unhealthy and ultimately unfruitful way to soothe the unhappiness that comes from breaking away from the actual plan of happiness.

No sincere truth seeker would be swayed by any of this behavior and the BY quotes they use (and misinterpret) alone do not bury the plethora of scriptural evidences to the contrary.

In other words they hurt their own case by the way they present it just as the random snufferite does. Swaying too far into controling content eeks too far into Luciferianism IMHO. Generally speaking truth does not need us to silence others because truth by its very nature dispels error. I think BrianM has done an admirable effort in striking a balance between allowing freedom to discuss without overtly silencing people.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

alaris wrote: September 17th, 2017, 5:59 pm
freedomforall wrote: September 17th, 2017, 5:22 pm There are members of this forum promoting Adam-God doctrine and creating a mighty stir in the process. I say have a private section for them, away from public view and scrutiny, in order for those involved with such controversial doctrine can fight among themselves until they drop from exhaustion, yet members of the church who believe the scriptures as written can continue to discuss gospel topics without interference and bigotry from those with a big pot stirring device getting into the mix.

The spirit in which they come reveals the spirit they've listed to obey IMHO. The deception and contention reveals they are here to soothe their own guilty consciences in a most unhealthy way by attempting to destroy our beliefs to justify their own apostasy. This behavior reveals the fallacy because if their doctrine were true there would be a spirit of love and invitation. Adam God Doctrine is the pretext of their apostasy that serves as their justification to not only apostatize but also to live a perverted gospel that includes heretical polygamy. Bashing us is an unhealthy and ultimately unfruitful way to soothe the unhappiness that comes from breaking away from the actual plan of happiness.

No sincere truth seeker would be swayed by any of this behavior and the BY quotes they use (and misinterpret) alone do not bury the plethora of scriptural evidences to the contrary.

In other words they hurt their own case by the way they present it just as the random snufferite does. Swaying too far into controling content eeks too far into Luciferianism IMHO. Generally speaking truth does not need us to silence others because truth by its very nature dispels error. I think BrianM has done an admirable effort in striking a balance between allowing freedom to discuss without overtly silencing people.
Doctrine and Covenants 1:31
31 For I the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance;

3 Ne. 11:28 (28–30)
28 ...neither shall there be disputations among you concerning the points of my doctrine, as there have hitherto been.
29 For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.
30 Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away.

So in your mind, allow a venomous snake into your home and as long as it behaves itself everything is hunky-dory?

The answer to this idea is frightening:

What one generation tolerates, the next generation embraces.

In other words, once apostates, promoters of false doctrine, ranters, pot stirrers, etc take over this site, it will no longer be an LDSfreedomforum where uplifting and spiritual discussion can thrive. It will be a free-for-all for contention and discord, clearly against what Christ teaches above.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Have more control over confidence in the truth brother. The spirit testifies and does not require you to silence people in order for it to stand out. Contention is way, way worse than error because it chases away the spirit.

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

Post by Hidingbehindmyhandle »

freedomforall wrote: August 27th, 2017, 4:45 am 3) men can't take God's word literally; they just have to argue, complain, wish, rant, argue some more and discuss it relentlessly until everyone is totally exhausted.
It seems your own words condemn you.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

alaris wrote: September 17th, 2017, 8:29 pm Have more control over confidence in the truth brother. The spirit testifies and does not require you to silence people in order for it to stand out. Contention is way, way worse than error because it chases away the spirit.
Yes, this.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

alaris wrote: September 17th, 2017, 8:29 pm Have more control over confidence in the truth brother. The spirit testifies and does not require you to silence people in order for it to stand out. Contention is way, way worse than error because it chases away the spirit.
What spirit? If the spirit has been chased away by other than true doctrine believers, then it is already too late. Yet, I suppose you are correct. This isn't my forum, so why should I care? Why should I even think that by listening to others cry, spout off, teach false principles and doctrine, try to belittle the intelligence of those that believe what is taught in scripture or trying to convey their heartfelt testimony, only to be told it is incorrect because of something said 187 years ago...that it would affect my testimony, or the testimony of others? How foolish of me.
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die. Ya, Hooooo!

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

alaris wrote: August 18th, 2017, 6:30 pm
freedomforall wrote: August 18th, 2017, 5:35 pm
alaris wrote: August 18th, 2017, 1:48 pmEdit edit: I like you. Nobody likes the condescension unless they listen to that same spirit of contention. Then why do you keep pushing the envelop ? Can you take your own advice ?
Now we're into the BS stage. Do you, like many others have to put words in my mouth and then claim I said them ? Are you now pretending to be clairvoyant ? Must you twist my words and meanings around so you can take credit for how you perceive things not really knowing me or what I am saying ?

I even told you to think as you wish, but does this give you the right to twist my words and meanings around in order to appease that kind of thinking ?

Please don't start in with the intellect bashing. If you want to be like Jesus then can you at least act like it ?

No, I am not Jesus or ever pretend being as such, but do you have to arrogantly try to imply that your conception of such is true ? Can you lighten up and give it a rest ? Do you want to be further cause for contention as you have been doing thus far ? Can you come down off your high horse and smell the roses ? Can you not take yourself so seriously, and try to understand what someone is saying rather than to twist their words to suit yourself ? Can you ask questions instead of making rash judgements geared to tick someone off ?

I asked you to agree to disagree. I thought that was a reasonable request, but why must I be proven wrong every time someone wants what they believe to be shouted from housetops, before being humble enough to let things go and agree to disagree ?

If you refuse to heed my request then your name will end up on my ignore list
among names of those who just can't be humble enough to be wrong in their assessments of others. We've had issues before as you know, so this isn't the first time we've clashed.

Now, if you want to continue baiting me then maybe the forum admin ought to be in on this, because I get agitated for getting board warnings for defending myself. I want this BS to come to a screeching halt. Can you handle that ? Or can you not refrain from having the last word and judgement ? :-w
You've got a problem with anger and negativity. I'm sure the forum admin is watching this. I've not insulted you but have offered you only advice as to why so many have asked you to reconsider your approach.

Look back to my first question you to which you reacted.
And by the voice of your current aly.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

BrianM wrote: February 23rd, 2017, 10:43 pm is not a good fit for anti-Mormons and most likely not a good fit for bitter ex-Mormons....

I would be interested in your feedback, questions, comments, etc..
One thing DESPERATELY now missing, in my opinion, is a statement that doctrines which directly contradict the basic teachings of the LDS gospel are not allowed.

We can disagree about how our political leaders can uphold the Constitution while still being an active LDS member and without failing to be a faithful follower of the restored gospel. However, if the standard is just:
#1: Be kind and respectful.

Here's a list of "Christian Church" discussion topics I've seen which are kind and respectful:
Open marriage
Do Mormons have horns
Christ would be a Communist
Pan-Sexuality is the only way to learn true love
The Book of Mormon will damn you
Mushrooms and LSD can help you find god
Joseph Smith was an adulterer

:Edited to add:
Most of these are discussions from forums other than LDSFF, but they're all topics I've seen.

It's been years since I got deeply involved on these boards with someone who was making claims directly in violation of simple gospel teachings, but even under the old forum rules things like that would sneak in.
Last edited by skmo on September 19th, 2017, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

freedomforall wrote: February 24th, 2017, 11:47 pm What I see is way too much apostate speech, false doctrine being thrown into the good stuff, and people condemning the church and/or its leaders in one one way or another. Forum rules stated this was not to be. And I hope that remains in force.
How about being told the Book of Mormon is not of God? From what I can see, that is NOT against the rules, and it currently exists in a topic.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Last edited by skmo on September 19th, 2017, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Re: The truth itself can no longer be banned

Post by skmo »

freedomforall wrote: February 27th, 2017, 1:21 am
Delight wrote: February 27th, 2017, 12:27 am I felt the Holy Spirit when I read through the new "LDS Freedom Forum Rules" and the supporting scriptures. I approve of these changes!

Now the truth has a fair chance to be respectfully presented even if some find it uncomfortable.
Who's truth?
Truth, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. I can get satan's truth everywhere. I'd like to be able to get more of Christ's Truths here.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

marc wrote: February 27th, 2017, 6:43 pm It has been interesting to see the forum rules evolve over the years. Maybe one day soon, it can be reduced to the Golden Rule, or in other words, the two greatest commandments.
In a Zion community this would be great.

Until then, we would do well to remember Ecclesiastes: To everything there is a season. Is the baptismal font the place for a bath? Is Sunday School a place for tax policy questions? Is LDSFF the place to say "Christ loves everyone but if you follow the teachings of Joseph Smith you'll go to hell"?

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

ebenezerarise wrote: February 27th, 2017, 7:00 pm I don't view this recent emphasis on the rules as advantageous to any one particular group or mindset. I think you're worried about something.
Being told the Book of Mormon is a false book. Having people discuss that there really no such thing as sin as long as anything you do is for love. People teaching that Christ was A perfect example, but not THE perfect example, as there are a lot of saviors in this world. These are three things I've seen on this forum at some point.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

freedomforall wrote: February 27th, 2017, 8:06 pmI'm hardheaded in presenting God's truth, not man's
And I'm hardheaded in proclaiming that if you follow man's truth that great suffering will come upon you when you return to God's truth. I'll also proclaim following FFA's truth rather than the path I did is a better way (except voting for Trump.) ;-)

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

skmo wrote: September 19th, 2017, 1:55 am
freedomforall wrote: February 24th, 2017, 11:47 pm What I see is way too much apostate speech, false doctrine being thrown into the good stuff, and people condemning the church and/or its leaders in one one way or another. Forum rules stated this was not to be. And I hope that remains in force.
How about being told the Book of Mormon is not of God? From what I can see, that is NOT against the rules, and it currently exists in a topic.
Well, we need more people standing as a witness for Christ in all things, at all times and in all places, this would include this forum no matter who is weak in their testimony. It is Christ we are to please not anyone one else with an axe to grind against the church or those trying their hardest to make waves.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

freedomforall wrote: September 19th, 2017, 4:24 amWell, we need more people standing as a witness for Christ in all things, at all times and in all places, this would include this forum no matter who is weak in their testimony.
Certainly no need to look any further than right here at ME to see an example of someone who is weak in their testimony, but I'm also a living demonstration of both God's grace and the will to keep trying.

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

skmo wrote: September 19th, 2017, 5:09 am Certainly no need to look any further than right here at ME to see an example of someone who is weak in their testimony, but I'm also a living demonstration of both God's grace and the will to keep trying.
It matters little where you are, it matters little how fast you are going, it matters greatly the direction you are going.
Learn to be patient and merciful with yourself, God is more patient and merciful than you.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

skmo wrote: September 19th, 2017, 5:09 am
freedomforall wrote: September 19th, 2017, 4:24 amWell, we need more people standing as a witness for Christ in all things, at all times and in all places, this would include this forum no matter who is weak in their testimony.
Certainly no need to look any further than right here at ME to see an example of someone who is weak in their testimony, but I'm also a living demonstration of both God's grace and the will to keep trying.
I meant no offense by what I said above. I know your situation and appreciate the fact that you are striving to work out your salvation with trembling.

Psalm 2:11
11 Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Note: the word "fear" equates to "reverence."

On another note, anyone that feels the need to throw stones at you had better beware. Here is why:

Mosiah 26:31
31 And ye shall also forgive one another your trespasses; for verily I say unto you, he that forgiveth not his neighbor’s trespasses when he says that he repents, the same hath brought himself under condemnation.

So, skmo, don't worry about standing up for Christ at any time, because as man can only see the outer man, He looks upon the heart.

And our thoughts are known to Him as well.

Alma 12:14,15
14 For our words will condemn us, yea, all our works will condemn us; we shall not be found spotless; and our thoughts will also condemn us; and in this awful state we shall not dare to look up to our God; and we would fain be glad if we could command the rocks and the mountains to fall upon us to hide us from his presence.
15 But this cannot be; we must come forth and stand before him in his glory, and in his power, and in his might, majesty, and dominion, and acknowledge to our everlasting shame that all his judgments are just; that he is just in all his works, and that he is merciful unto the children of men, and that he has all power to save every man that believeth on his name and bringeth forth fruit meet for repentance.

I applaud you.