Forum Rules Update (2017 Feb 23) - Discussion

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: Forum Rules Update (2017 Feb 23) - Discussion

Post by marc »

Brian, will quotes no longer show who we are quoting? It is a little difficult to follow who is addressing whom in conversations with multiple quotes.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

marc wrote: February 28th, 2017, 3:08 pm Brian, will quotes no longer show who we are quoting? It is a little difficult to follow who is addressing whom in conversations with multiple quotes.
Yup.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

marc wrote: Brian, will quotes no longer show who we are quoting? It is a little difficult to follow who is addressing whom in conversations with multiple quotes.
It should just be temporary. It is related to a forum software update.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

marc wrote: February 28th, 2017, 4:11 am Hi, FFA. I do not like to use labels, but since you have used the term TBM, no, nobody has to leave. I cannot for the life of me see how the two greatest commandments is the devolving of any set of rules. On the contrary, they are the two greatest commandments that Jesus Christ gave, both in the Old Testament and the New Testament. As a matter of fact the law and the prophets resulted from the Israelites failing to live the two greatest commandments. When people do not love truth and do not love God and do not love to keep God's commandments, but still profess to love Him, then it becomes expedient for a loving God to give them rules they have the capacity to obey, which if they think about, point to the two greatest commandments. If you love your neighbor, you truly would not covet anything of his. If you love you parents, you will honor them, etc, etc. It is easy to do all these things if the love of God is in your heart.

Furthermore, truth cannot be harmed. Therefore, if some people come here bearing false witness, truth is still not harmed. Only those who make liars of themselves and those without the Spirit. But only people without love toward men and God will revile them. However, if they are speaking truth and they cannot be understood supposing them to be liars, then again, they will be reviled by those who do not possess the love of God. Besides, the majority of the apostates have been driven out as has their secret forum. And those without love, who profess to love, just end up in the Outer Darkness Forum anyway. I don't know who you are referring to that does not believe scripture as truth. If it is that new person, Yod, I disagree. As a matter of fact, in my estimation, he not only understands them very well, but also very literally. I don't believe Jesus Christ minced words when He said the things He did and I believe we are to take His words, sayings and commandments very seriously.

Finally, because one may diligently follow the prophet, one is not absolved from seeking to learn and to understand the things Jesus Christ specifically taught and commanded. I have not yet found any conference talk where any general authority has told the membership that it is ok to stop obeying the commandments. As a matter of fact, in the D&C, the Lord placed the church under condemnation not only for taking the Book of Mormon lightly, not only to say but to do, but also the "former commandments." You see the Lord told the early saints they were too busy engaged in "jarrings, and contentions, and envyings, and strifes, and lustful and covetous desires among them; therefore by these things they polluted their inheritances." So you see, they could not have had the love God in their hearts and therefore did not love one another, breaking the two greatest commandments, or in other words, the Golden Rule. It is quite a simple concept to read, but for some reason, very elusive to Christianity and especially to us Mormons who claim to be so enlightened.
The message given below does not fully agree with you. If you love someone, you teach them true doctrine so that both are edified. And as I stated elsewhere, when one teaches by the spirit, the other is to receive by that same spirit. The message must be confirmed by the Holy Ghost.

John 7:17
17 If any man will do his will, he shall (c)know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.
18 He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

17 c know
TG Discernment, Spiritual; Testimony; Truth.

And for those seeking truth, here is a promise unto them:

D&C 46:30
30 He that asketh in the Spirit asketh according to the will of God; wherefore it is done even as he asketh.

There are two key points given:

1 ask in the Spirit
2 according to the will of God

So to receive God's truth one must ask if it is true according to the topic at hand.

So, truth coming from forum members need to be taught by the Spirit and received by the same Spirit in order for it to be actual truth, and not another precept of man. Some here may have been blessed with the gift of discernment, thus, doctrine not in line with official church doctrine can be detected and brought to light. Otherwise, we could keep going in circles and write upon page after page and be skirting around the truth that only the Holy Ghost can bring forth to the true seeker of God's truth.

Doctrine and Covenants 46:28
28 And it shall come to pass that he that asketh in Spirit shall receive in Spirit;

Doctrine and Covenants 50:19-23
19 And again, he that receiveth the word of truth, doth he receive it by the Spirit of truth or some other way?
20 If it be some other way it is not of God.
21 Therefore, why is it that ye cannot understand and know, that he that receiveth the word by the Spirit of truth receiveth it as it is preached by the Spirit of truth?
22 Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together.
23 And that which doth not edify is not of God, and is darkness.
Last edited by freedomforall on February 28th, 2017, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

larsenb wrote: February 28th, 2017, 3:15 pm
marc wrote: February 28th, 2017, 3:08 pm Brian, will quotes no longer show who we are quoting? It is a little difficult to follow who is addressing whom in conversations with multiple quotes.
Yup.
It's fixed now. I had to make the theme compatible with the added quote features.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

2 Ne. 31:21
21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.

John 8:28
28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

3 Nephi 19:29
29 Father, I pray not for the world, but for those whom thou hast given me out of the world, because of their faith, that they may be purified in me, that I may be in them as thou, Father, art in me, that we may be one, that I may be glorified in them.

Doctrine and Covenants 35:2
2 I am Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who was crucified for the sins of the world, even as many as will believe on my name, that they may become the sons of God, even one in me as I am one in the Father, as the Father is one in me, that we may be one.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

FFA, I love you, brother. :ymhug:

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

BrianM wrote: February 28th, 2017, 5:22 pm
larsenb wrote: February 28th, 2017, 3:15 pm
Yup.
It's fixed now. I had to make the theme compatible with the added quote features.
I like the added features, makes it easy to go back to the post for more context. thx

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

marc wrote: February 28th, 2017, 5:39 pm FFA, I love you, brother. :ymhug:
DITTO. Your messages of love, I needed very much. Thanks, Marc.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

freedomforall wrote: February 27th, 2017, 7:38 pm Does this help?
Not really. In fact, it's a good example of why some of us don't feel free to post more.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

FWIW, back in the 1970's Ilya Prigogine's Nobel Prize winning work in non-equilibrium thermodynamics showed that higher order comes out of chaos.

I really enjoy hearing his view on chaos

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

ebenezerarise wrote: February 28th, 2017, 9:00 pm
Not really. In fact, it's a good example of why some of us don't feel free to post more.
Yet some do. It's a matter of choice, right?

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

freedomforall wrote: February 27th, 2017, 12:07 am
ebenezerarise wrote: February 26th, 2017, 3:42 pm I've never had a problem with the forum rules here and I don't have a problem now.

What I have a problem with is how they are sometimes enforced ... (or are selectively enforced) .... or are enforced not at all.

I also suffer from split opinions on this topic. As a board administrator myself, I understand where the PTB here are coming from. But as a frequent reader and an infrequent poster I am annoyed at how the forum rules and their "enforcement" sometimes get in the way of discussions. It's maddening and I suppose that will just have to remain my problem.

I've averaged 1 board warning a year here. I'm shooting for a full year without offense.

Wish me luck.
God's house is a house of order. Shouldn't this forum as Latter-day Saints, strive to have a house of order as well?
Why, why do people sign up and bring chaos, false doctrine, apostate talk, rants against the church and/or its leaders and relentless breaking of rules because of wanting to gain followers. Do these types have free reign now?
And yet, there is always a dash of chaos in Order and a dash of order in Chaos. Yin within the yang, and yang within the yin. Opposites in all things... even within the opposition itself.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

freedomforall wrote: February 28th, 2017, 11:53 pm
Choice or preference? There's a difference.

I find it best to be selective. Straining at gnats and coping with trolls isn't the wisest use of time.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

ebenezerarise wrote: March 1st, 2017, 6:50 pm
freedomforall wrote: February 28th, 2017, 11:53 pm
Choice or preference? There's a difference.

I find it best to be selective. Straining at gnats and coping with trolls isn't the wisest use of time.
Just who is forcing you to cope with trolls? I don't like it either; that's why we have a foe list. Don't trolls have a tendency of poking their heads up and saying bias things so as to strike out at others as a way of baiting and calling people trolls? Now we wouldn't want to do that now would we?
What's worse is for a person quoting scripture right out of the book and posting them being called a troll. Go figure.

2 Nephi 9:40
...Do not say that I have spoken hard things against you; for if ye do, ye will revile against the truth; for I have spoken the words of your Maker. I know that the words of truth are hard against all uncleanness; but the righteous fear them not, for they love the truth and are not shaken.

1 Nephi 16:2
2 ...wherefore, the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Matchmaker wrote: February 27th, 2017, 2:34 am My thoughts:

Disagreeing with what one might say is OK in my book, as long as it is done respectfully. Name calling, bullying, intimidating, shaming, and mocking another in the name of defending the Church, the gospel, the Priesthood, or its leaders is not OK.
I also believe President Trump, as our highest elected official, should be treated with respect by Church members and not called names, regardless of whether a person thinks he deserves it or not.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Matchmaker wrote: May 23rd, 2017, 6:18 pm
Matchmaker wrote: February 27th, 2017, 2:34 am My thoughts:

Disagreeing with what one might say is OK in my book, as long as it is done respectfully. Name calling, bullying, intimidating, shaming, and mocking another in the name of defending the Church, the gospel, the Priesthood, or its leaders is not OK.
I also believe President Trump, as our highest elected official, should be treated with respect by Church members and not called names, regardless of whether a person thinks he deserves it or not.
I concur matchmaker. It's shameful the way people are acting. If you don't like the man, respect the position. Being a good loser is as important as being a good winner.
GO TRUMP!

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

There is nothing wrong with pointing out his mistakes and unprincipled beliefs or actions (of which there ARE many). Those things can definitely be discussed while still being respectful. The position of President should be up for much scrutiny. I just hope people don't label pointing out wrong-doing as being disrespectful or shameful. It's not the same thing.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

I call Trump Marmalade because he paints his face orange. Please don't tell me I'm the only one who notices. Why don't you Trump supporters think it strange that the most powerful man on the planet (if you don't believe Ether 8) feels the need to put on orange war paint every day? Other than joking about his choice of make-up, I call out Trump for his broken campaign promises and his warlike actions and the horrible people in his cabinet.

At some point Captain Moroni had to point out that Amalickiah was evil. If you want to say that Trump and Amalickiah are different then I'll agree, but it's only a matter of degree not character.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Silver wrote: May 23rd, 2017, 7:14 pmI call Trump Marmalade because he paints his face orange. Please don't tell me I'm the only one who notices.
Honestly, I think calling him "Marmalade" is just petty and unnecessary. There are plenty of serious things you can call him out on.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

BrianM wrote: May 23rd, 2017, 9:52 pm
Silver wrote: May 23rd, 2017, 7:14 pmI call Trump Marmalade because he paints his face orange. Please don't tell me I'm the only one who notices.
Honestly, I think calling him "Marmalade" is just petty and unnecessary. There are plenty of serious things you can call him out on.
Yessir. Noted and understood.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I don't think Trump's position ought to spare him from any type of difficulty. On the other hand, I think that everyone's position ought to spare them from abuse and ridicule.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

To Trump haters:

Matthew 5
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, ...

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? ...

47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? ...

Luke 6
35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

freedomforall wrote: May 26th, 2017, 12:20 am To Trump haters:

Matthew 5

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Luke 6
35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
To Trump lovers:
Thou shalt not kill.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Silver wrote: May 26th, 2017, 7:18 am
freedomforall wrote: May 26th, 2017, 12:20 am To Trump haters:

Matthew 5

Luke 6

To Trump lovers:
Thou shalt not kill.
When a weak nation is unjustly being gased and tortured, it is a just reason.