Please, Please Don't Try This At Home!

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Please, Please Don't Try This At Home!

Post by freedomforall »

Okay, folks, keep it clean. :)) :D

eddie
captain of 1,000

Re: Please, Please Don't Try This At Home!

Post by eddie »

My favorite Russian on ice

https://youtu.be/xe6RrbP7FeE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Even though I have an international driving permit I NEVER drive in Russia as you can see they drive way to fast for conditions and they all drive crazy or so it seems. One thing that can be said for Communism, it did keep cars out of the hands of your average Russian.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

gkearney wrote:Even though I have an international driving permit I NEVER drive in Russia as you can see they drive way to fast for conditions and they all drive crazy or so it seems. One thing that can be said for Communism, it did keep cars out of the hands of your average Russian.
Perhaps being called Russians is exactly why they drive too fast in the first place. :D

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I intend to try this at home.
That is, I had not been on ice and snow in the car in 45 years, living in Los Angeles, and only visiting snow areas March or April up to November or so. Other than some occasional ice and snow riding on the motorcycle during those 'vacation' months.
My habit was to visit warm and sunny and warm places around Christmas time, mainly Mexico.
However, the end of December I did drive up to snow country to finalize where my move will be to.
So I have been studying these Russian snow drives for some weeks now, trying to get ideas about what to avoid.

As I see it it is, Vodka drinkers, speeders, left turners and what's behind you.
What's behind you is always a concern on a motorcycle.
The head on's are really near impossible to avoid. You just have to have a sixth sense as to when one will strike.

There is a lesson which on motorcycles we know (or me at least). Don't try to avoid the deer and kill yourself in the process. It's not unusual in many cases for drivers to avoid a hazard, but skid or otherwise run into something. Particularly where the obstacle that you died trying to avoid is avoided and just drives away without regard to what happened to you.

Some of the "good" bike crashes are into the deer which then ruins the bike, but doesn't injure the rider. It usually doesn't do much for the deer but then there's no accounting for that.
dc

I think the bottom line is Russians have not yet developed the idea of not running into things. Of using their own side of the road. Of looking before they turn left. Of looking before they pull out.
Here the drivers all think it's a race. Frantic is how they drive. No matter what, they must get to the next red stoplight before any car near them. It's just a very important thing.
But the Russian style is just different. To them it's a demolition derby. Just pull out in front of any fast moving car, and bang! I think they have a lot of fraud and caused accidents involved, and that's why they use the cameras so much.
I need camera.
The town I'm moving to have no stoplights. Just one school crossing on Main Street and that's the whole extent of traffic thru' the town.
Last edited by David13 on February 21st, 2017, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

freedomforall wrote:
gkearney wrote:Even though I have an international driving permit I NEVER drive in Russia as you can see they drive way to fast for conditions and they all drive crazy or so it seems. One thing that can be said for Communism, it did keep cars out of the hands of your average Russian.
Perhaps being called Russians is exactly why they drive too fast in the first place. :D

Yeah, sort of like Russian food, as it sends you Russian to the restroom.

No, I think a lot has to do with the Vodka, or is it vodka?
dc

Also, as it looks like we are trying to get a little funny here, those things always have some scantily clad good looking, young woman as the title page, who then never appear in the video. What's that called, click bait?
Are those girls hired or the compilers girl friend or what?

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Most Russian auto insurance companies require dash mounted cameras which is why you see so many of these kind of crash videos coming out of Russia that and the vodka.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I guess the other obvious difference is they don't seem to plow the roads there.
Here they plow all the roads. They may have a lot more snow as well.
And certainly vehicle maintenance is an issue there, or a larger issue, perhaps particularly tire condition.
dc

Also oil. It appears they have vast quantities of oil spilled over the road in various places. That has become less of a problem here in more recent years.

Teancum
captain of 100

Post by Teancum »

David13 wrote: And certainly vehicle maintenance is an issue there, or a larger issue, perhaps particularly tire condition.
dc
Yes, I noticed that most of the vehicles that seem to need repair have damage either on the driver's side door, or the whole front end. :-ss ;)

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

While employed in Utah I had to take frequent, forced, temporary transfers for the job at 13 week intervals. I had to drive in all weather conditions. The majority of these transfers would only be between, say, fifty miles up to several hundred. I could then drive home on weekends unless we were working six days a week. That gave me plenty of snow, sleet, hard rain, hail and icy conditions to deal with. Other transfers to places farther than four hundred miles I could take aircraft.
I'm pretty good in snow and icy conditions but my wife gets white knuckled if having to drive in it. We even get a trace of snow here on the Oregon coast. Many drivers here don't know how to drive in it very well. They drive like it was a bright, sunny day. There are some, however, that drive like they are in a tortoise race. What's worse, drive too slow or drive as fast as one can get away with before causing a pile up?

Speaking of pile ups, there were plenty of them along the old highway from SL to Bountiful when I resided in SL area, but I forget what that stretch is called.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

I had some pile ups, there's a cream for that.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

eddie wrote:I had some pile ups, there's a cream for that.
Smiles are better than piles, and are a much more attractive point of view.
a man with piles.jpg
a man with piles.jpg (40.56 KiB) Viewed 641 times