Great video on the constitution.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Ezra
captain of 1,000

Great video on the constitution.

Post by Ezra »

Lds constitution scholar and Good friend of mine.

Robert brown.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ipyDtnsjc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Great video on the constitution.

Post by lundbaek »

Almost 30 years ago the Prophet at that time, President Benson, told us in the October General Conference that "We must learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers. Both President Benson and President McKay, on a few occasions stressed the importance to learning the principles of the Constitution "as it was meant to be understood". Initially, I took that to mean the Constitution as it was ratified in 1989. Then I decided that some of the amendments were improvements, at least in my mind. But there have been other amendments which I consider "cometh of evil". Adherence to the US Constitution as it stands today would certainly improve our current situation; I have no doubt about that.
Last edited by lundbaek on February 16th, 2017, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

lundbaek wrote:Almost 10 years ago the Prophet at that time, President Benson, told us in the October General Conference that "We must learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers. Both President Benson and President McKay, on a few occasions stressed the importance to learning the principles of the Constitution "as it was meant to be understood". Initially, I took that to mean the Constitution as it was ratified in 1989. Then I decided that some of the amendments were improvements, at least in my mind. But there have been other amendments which I consider "cometh of evil". Adherence to the U Constitution as it stands today would certainly improve our current situation; I have no doubt about that.
President Benson passed away in 1994 (my how time flies). Did you mean "20 years ago?"

The Constitution was ratified in 1788 and the effective date was in March of 1789 so I think 1989 is just a typo. The Bill of Rights comprising the first 10 amendments were created right away in Sept. 1789 and ratified in Dec. 1791. Imagine that: It actually took our freedom-loving forefathers over two years to get the Bill of Rights ratified.

Otherwise (LOL), I agree with what you wrote.

I see the video is from a member of the John Birch Society which President Benson heartily endorsed. If only the priesthood had listened to President Benson we wouldn't have a traitor in the White House today.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Thanks for catching and advising of that error. 30 years ago come October President Benson told us "We must learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers." For some years now I have felt that Mormons generally failed America by not picking up that ball and running with it. I believe that if they had, the Lord would have guided our efforts in enlisting other Americans in the effort to preserve our freedoms.