How About Those Psychics On The Phone Claiming They Can See Your Future?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

How About Those Psychics On The Phone Claiming They Can See Your Future?

Post by freedomforall »

1-800-GUL-IBLE

Are these people for real?

Any personal experiences of actual, positive results ensuing from the read? Only voluntary, please.

Is this practice evil?

Any comments as this is an open discussion of feelings, beliefs and any negatives?

What is my personal belief? I think I would stay away from them due to the fact we have the power of the Priesthood and the many blessings and guidance that can be received in faith.

What is the stance of church leadership concerning this practice?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Re: How About Those Psychics On The Phone Claiming They Can See Your Future?

Post by freedomforall »

freedomforall wrote:1-800-GUL-IBLE

Are these people for real?

Any personal experiences of actual, positive results ensuing from the read? Only voluntary, please.

Is this practice evil?

Any comments as this is an open discussion of feelings, beliefs and any negatives?

What is my personal belief? I think I would stay away from them due to the fact we have the power of the Priesthood and the many blessings and guidance that can be received in faith.

What is the stance of church leadership concerning this practice?
I'm sorry I brought it up.

Dlight
captain of 100

Post by Dlight »

I called one of these places when I was about 9 years old. I was staying at my grandmas and saw the Ms. Cleo infomercial and for some reason it peaked my childhood curiosity.

I don't remember a ton about that call, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that their entire design was to keep me on the phone as long as possible. Nothing they told me had any real substance to it, they just told me things that they imagined I must have wanted to hear, like that I was going to meet a lot of cute girls and make a lot of money. They asked me a lot of questions and did anything they could to keep me from hanging up.

Somehow they kept me on the phone over an hour according to my grandma...she was absolutely livid when she got a phone bill for over $200 :-s :)) /:)

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Some might use familiar spirits to come up with irrelevant information and some may have gifts they are misusing but any way you look at it it's deception on one level or another.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

SmallFarm wrote:Some might use familiar spirits to come up with irrelevant information and some may have gifts they are misusing but any way you look at it it's deception on one level or another.
I believe Brigham Young touched on this. You see, spiritualism and the occult were practiced quite opening among the elite in his day, still practiced today but more secretive. He said that mediums could get 99% correct, but the 1% may be the part that sends you to hell.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Just tell them you want to do a short test of their capabilities by asking him/her if they can predict what you are going to do in the next 5-15 seconds. If they're quick on the uptake, they will say: "Your going to hang up on me"; to which you say: "Correct", and then hang up.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

larsenb wrote:Just tell them you want to do a short test of their capabilities by asking him/her if they can predict what you are going to do in the next 5-15 seconds. If they're quick on the uptake, they will say: "Your going to hang up on me"; to which you say: "Correct", and then hang up.
Remember the X-Files scene where the serial killer goes to the psychic and asks why he does what he does, without admitting he is a killer, and the psychic tells him because he is a psychotic killer?

Then he killed the psychic.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

I think evil spirits take advantage of the fact that we haven't received our own spiritual gifts yet. So they can give us gifts in exchange for our damnation, meaning, lack of progression. Heavenly Father makes us work at listening to the Holy Spirit, which takes a lot of character and growing before you start receiving the spiritual gifts that Jesus had. I sometimes have the gift of discernment, and I can discern things that maybe sounds like remote viewing. But I know it is my spirit doing it, and I am not getting the information from some evil spirit. Because we have spirits, we should be able to do anything an evil spirit offers to do for us, but because of the veil we have a hard time doing it. I think the temple is training ground for operating through the veil while still in a physical body, whereas the occult wants you to leave your body so evil spirits can inhabit it. You don't want that kind of relationship, because they are parasites. But to have a relationship with the Holy Spirit in you and helping you receive certain gifts is to be desired because it can elevate us. So I would tune into the person and see where they are getting their information from. Some people are very gifted because they truly desire to help others and use their gifts to serve the Lord. Those people I trust, but those who are just trying to make money are not going to have a good spirit about them. For me, I can tell the difference just by tuning in to the 'psychic'.

For example, today, I was able to feel that my husband was holding some pain in his heart. I just had the ability to discern it, so I was able to talk about it with him and help him feel better. That is about the extent to what I am talking about with my own gift of discernment.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Fiannan wrote:
larsenb wrote:Just tell them you want to do a short test of their capabilities by asking him/her if they can predict what you are going to do in the next 5-15 seconds. If they're quick on the uptake, they will say: "Your going to hang up on me"; to which you say: "Correct", and then hang up.
Remember the X-Files scene where the serial killer goes to the psychic and asks why he does what he does, without admitting he is a killer, and the psychic tells him because he is a psychotic killer?

Then he killed the psychic.
Yikes. Grim. That goes a bit beyond the test I'm suggesting :-o

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

The question arises...what future?